Division one things to forward to……..

483 posts
NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Division one things to forward to……..

by NathStPaul » 02 May 2023 09:31

Winston Biscuit
NathStPaul I kinda wanna do Fleetwood just to say I have been there, looks like the biggest arse to get to. Right out the way of anything.

Fleetwood to Barrow is only around 10 miles apart directly, but by land it takes around 1:45 to travel between them. I have often wondered if that kills off any kind of potential rivalry.

Must be some small ferry companies going between the 2 surely?

I'm hoping it is just something like this.

Winston Biscuit
Hob Nob Legend

by Winston Biscuit » 02 May 2023 09:31

NathStPaul
Winston Biscuit
NathStPaul I kinda wanna do Fleetwood just to say I have been there, looks like the biggest arse to get to. Right out the way of anything.

Fleetwood to Barrow is only around 10 miles apart directly, but by land it takes around 1:45 to travel between them. I have often wondered if that kills off any kind of potential rivalry.

I'm hoping it is just something like this.

:lol:

got to be some local madmen who take cash to sail people over on small boats!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 02 May 2023 10:27

Sutekh
Dirk Gently
Sutekh
Even the FL haven’t yet plummed the depths of giving sides 3 consecutive away games (unless a team has short term ground problems) so that certainly won’t happen.

EFL clubs prefer to have long-distance matches scheduled for weekdays, to ensure as much inconvenience for supporters as possible, so expect Blackpool and Fleetwood away to be midweek games.

Corrected for you.

That's the end result, yes, but the thing that seems to be forgotten is that the EFL is a membership organisation - they do exactly what their member clubs decide. And the clubs - especially in the Championship, have told them that they're quite happy to inconvenience a few hard-core travelling supporters in midweek if it means they have more people coming to matches on Saturdays.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 02 May 2023 10:40

AthleticoSpizz
Winston Biscuit Which teams are people most looking to playing/travelling to if we go down?
Morecambe (if they survive) and Fleetwood.
Have seen them both in their NL days, but knowing the NW (as I do) would make for a couple of decent long weekends (fukk the football results).

I've been to both. Fleetwood is a nice ground but the place is dead, a nightmare to get there by train too.

Morecambe is an absolute tip. The ground is meh but good to have ticked it off

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 02 May 2023 10:43

Jackson Corner
Chairman Mao Getting half a new squad in on a shoestring and building a new team.

Loads of great away days.

Genuinely excited.

If the owner doesn't pull out and bankrupt us.

Don't see us getting back up next season though

Great away days Fleetwood, Exeter, Bristol Rovers. Instead of Everton, Southampton and Leeds. Have you ever been to these grounds? Let me tell you I have and they are complete dumps they are not fun. I spent my youth going to these places on one supporters coach standing on wet windswept terraces losing every time. If that’s your idea of fun good luck.

I've been to all 3 grounds too, they're meh. It'll be fun for a season to go there but if we stay down then they become tedious places to visit.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 02 May 2023 10:46

Jackson Corner
Winston Biscuit Which teams are people most looking to playing/travelling to if we go down?

None have been to most and they are complete dog holes. Only a couple of local derbies interest me. Even then with a completely new team made up of second rate players academy donkey’s and loans from championship club’s. When we go into administration and receive are 10 point deduction League two beckons. Will you have the same excitement about going to Barrow?

+1. Will be good to see us smash Oxford and see how much it kicks off with the fans. Looking forward to ticking off Lincoln and Shrewsbury and Salford/Stockport. Wycombe is always a fun away day too. Bar that I don't feel very excited at all playing these teams other than expecting us to win a lot more games than we lose.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 02 May 2023 10:50

morganb Qué será, será
Whatever will be, will be
We're going to Shrewsbury
Qué será, será

Port Vale away on a Tuesday night*
Port Vale away on a Tuesday night*

Whilst everyone claps

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 02 May 2023 10:53

Winston Biscuit

Fleetwood to Barrow is only around 10 miles apart directly, but by land it takes around 1:45 to travel between them (Same as 'Ding to Coventry). I have often wondered if that kills off any kind of potential rivalry.

It's further than that surely, don't you mean Morecambe?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 May 2023 10:57

Royal_jimmy
Winston Biscuit

Fleetwood to Barrow is only around 10 miles apart directly, but by land it takes around 1:45 to travel between them (Same as 'Ding to Coventry). I have often wondered if that kills off any kind of potential rivalry.

All 3 towns form a triangle across Morecambe Bay.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 May 2023 11:04

Jimmy, have you ever tried antidepressants?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 02 May 2023 11:17

Royal_jimmy
Winston Biscuit

Not going across the sea, I'd guess it's about 70 miles going around and at that time.

Fleetwood's biggest game next season will be Blackpool though, it's comfortably the closest journey for them.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 02 May 2023 11:19

As with most things in life these days people just have to put a positive spin on things and a good example has been in this thread.
The way I see it is if you want to go to little grounds for the experience then follow a non-league club.

I'm with Jacksons Corner here in that I don't want to watch crap football at crap grounds-if it is going to be crap football I would sooner go to Southampton, Leeds and Everton than to Fleetwood, Oxford, Stevenage and Port Vale.

Perhaps we are in the minority of having been there , done that and I am glad that, at least on here, some people are actually looking forward to life in the 3rd division.

I'll just say my prayers for a miracle at Huddersfield so that I can watch Southampton, Leeds and/or Everton next season rather than feel the loyalty that might well make me head off to Plymouth, Exeter, Oxford and Portsmouth.

If only the Mad Man hadn't been conned into believing in dirty Russian money-typical oxf*rd Tory.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 May 2023 11:20

South Coast Royal As with most things in life these days people just have to put a positive spin on things and a good example has been in this thread.
The way I see it is if you want to go to little grounds for the experience then follow a non-league club.

I'm with Jacksons Corner here in that I don't want to watch crap football at crap grounds-if it is going to be crap football I would sooner go to Southampton, Leeds and Everton than to Fleetwood, Oxford, Stevenage and Port Vale.

Perhaps we are in the minority of having been there , done that and I am glad that, at least on here, some people are actually looking forward to life in the 3rd division.

I'll just say my prayers for a miracle at Huddersfield so that I can watch Southampton, Leeds and/or Everton next season rather than feel the loyalty that might well make me head off to Plymouth, Exeter, Oxford and Portsmouth.

If only the Mad Man hadn't been conned into believing in dirty Russian money-typical oxf*rd Tory.

You support Reading not Barcelona.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 May 2023 11:23

Royal_jimmy
AthleticoSpizz
Have seen them both in their NL days, but knowing the NW (as I do) would make for a couple of decent long weekends (fukk the football results).

I've been to both. Fleetwood is a nice ground but the place is dead, a nightmare to get there by train too.

yeah, tbf, I wouldn't be hanging around those towns for too long after the games, plenty of decent walking (and drinking) territories in the peripherals.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 May 2023 11:26

Royal_jimmy
AthleticoSpizz

Morecambe will probably be relegated but if not then there’s always the selfie with Eric opportunity….

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 02 May 2023 11:51

NathStPaul
South Coast Royal As with most things in life these days people just have to put a positive spin on things and a good example has been in this thread.

You support Reading not Barcelona.

Feeling particularly pissed off today as the realisation kicks in as to the very likely out come for this season and having a cough and a cold plus a headache (not a DD migraine this time) doesn't help.

The way I feel today makes "Reading till I die" feel more apt than it might on other days so maybe I won't even get to see next season and Div 3 football all over again. :wink: .

stealthpapes
Hob Nob Addict

by stealthpapes » 02 May 2023 12:24

Winston Biscuit

Main ferry in Fleetwood is to Knott End, other side of the Wyre. Still got Morecombe bay which, iirc is pretty choppy and has a wild tidal range.

elrey

by elrey » 02 May 2023 12:52

Sounds like you're supporting the wrong club already. I've lived in countries full of glory supporters, China is one such, I doubt most people know my city has two teams in the top two divisions, one owned by Man City, they all wear European shirts, saw a Saka shirt yesterday, Real Madrid have loads of shirts. Even in Spain, so many people who live in "proper" Spain support Real or Barca. When I lived there people I knew would celebrate Real winning, and pretend they didn't care when they lost.

Not much sense of achievement there.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 02 May 2023 13:41

elrey

Sounds like you're supporting the wrong club already. I've lived in countries full of glory supporters, China is one such, I doubt most people know my city has two teams in the top two divisions, one owned by Man City, they all wear European shirts, saw a Saka shirt yesterday, Real Madrid have loads of shirts. Even in Spain, so many people who live in "proper" Spain support Real or Barca. When I lived there people I knew would celebrate Real winning, and pretend they didn't care when they lost.

Not much sense of achievement there.

Thanks for the lecture but I am hardly a glory hunter-just bemoaning the twist of fate that meant me growing up in a particular town saddling me with a specific team for life and after following us through some thick but mainly thin for nearly 70 years would prefer not to be in the 3rd or 4th divisions again.

I reckon that I have been to nearly 2000 Reading games ( plus around 100 Liverpool games) and is it so bad to want to watch us playing at one of the better levels and watching better players from both sides.?

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 02 May 2023 13:42

Get the point but maybe it's just me but I want to watch my club not fussed about the opposition - naturally want us to be at the highest level we can be at and if next year that is the 3rd tier, so be it. You won't be heading off to Plymouth anyway if we go down so a bonus for you :-) but we will have games at least 2 of Weds, Derby and Bolton as well as meeting Portsmouth, so not too long ago we were playing in the PL.

As for watching crap football, feel like I've been doing that for most of the last decade, so the standard in L1 doesn't phase me and who knows, it may even end up being a step up on what we have been given to watch of late.

483 posts