MATCHWATCH : Eastleigh (a)

442 posts
WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Eastleigh (a)

by WestYorksRoyal » 04 Dec 2023 11:03

Both talented CBs who have let the malaise of the club drag them down. Had they broken into the team in the Coppell or McDermott days, I'm sure they would have learned the toughness required and been solid Championship players like Pearce was.

I don't think it's controversial to say Holmes is a substantially worse player than he was 2 years ago.
Last edited by WestYorksRoyal on 04 Dec 2023 11:08, edited 1 time in total.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 04 Dec 2023 11:05

URZZZZ
Hound Holmes seemed far more determined to get his head on the ball when he was being headlocked and dragged to the ground in the opposition box than he did on a basic corner routine in our own box in the 94th min.

Guess always been my frustration with him that he seems to get beaten like that too often for a big lad

Mentioned almost two years ago now - just after we’d drawn with Derby and he was bullied for their 90th minute equaliser that he just wasn’t commanding enough and the fact it’s still happening now just isn’t good enough

It’s a shame because there’s a decent defender in there but the harsh reality (along with McIntyre) is that they’re too easy to bully. Opposition strikers will enjoy playing us and that reflects on how rarely we manage to keep a clean sheet

I remember seeing him in the Berks and Bucks final against Slough a few years ago and he was being bullied by some journeyman gobshite who was in his ear all game. It's a shame he hasn't appeared to assert himself more and grown from an experience like that.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Dec 2023 11:32

URZZZZ
Hound Holmes seemed far more determined to get his head on the ball when he was being headlocked and dragged to the ground in the opposition box than he did on a basic corner routine in our own box in the 94th min.

Guess always been my frustration with him that he seems to get beaten like that too often for a big lad

Mentioned almost two years ago now - just after we’d drawn with Derby and he was bullied for their 90th minute equaliser that he just wasn’t commanding enough and the fact it’s still happening now just isn’t good enough

It’s a shame because there’s a decent defender in there but the harsh reality (along with McIntyre) is that they’re too easy to bully. Opposition strikers will enjoy playing us and that reflects on how rarely we manage to keep a clean sheet

Watched the goal back a few times on the highlights- caveat here is that being a midget through my teen years - heading is something I know even less about than the rest of the game, but

He seems to be treating the cross like it’s a free header in space - not attacking the ball and trying to head it towards the centre spot. With that lump barging into him he must surely have just concentrated on getting his head to the ball first and heading it back from roughly the way it came from.

As it was, he missed the header altogether, hit his shoulder and then it’s game over from there. Seems a simple mistake for a CB to make

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2023 11:58

URZZZZ

He spends too much time trying to win a wrestling match and not enough trying to attack the ball imo.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 04 Dec 2023 12:16

Some of the RFC squad (Carson, Mbengue, Elliot and Ehibhatiomhan) fell well short of their potential against Eastleigh doing themselves no favours of being selected in the 11 that takes to the pitch in League One going forward.

Vickers was on the bench and not bought on. I am trying to understand why... What has he done not to get a run out against Eastleigh. I hope we see him in the starting 11 against Charlton.

windermereROYAL
Hob Nob Addict

by windermereROYAL » 04 Dec 2023 12:24

The Real Sandhurst Royal Some of the RFC squad (Carson, Mbengue, Elliot and Ehibhatiomhan) fell well short of their potential against Eastleigh doing themselves no favours of being selected in the 11 that takes to the pitch in League One going forward.

Vickers was on the bench and not bought on. I am trying to understand why... What has he done not to get a run out against Eastleigh. I hope we see him in the starting 11 against Charlton.

Possibly the same reason that people were screaming for Elliott to start in matches, he was awful yesterday and was rightly hooked at HT.

hlane17

by hlane17 » 04 Dec 2023 12:26

Southend fan here...

Having watched your game it had echoes of our clash with Dover Athletic in 2019, where we lost 1-0 and struggled to worry a poor National League side.

Reading deserve so much better than this, hope you get Dai out. We're still trying to get rid of our own charlatan, COVID ruined the momentum gained in our campaign, only picked up again in the last year.

Thought the protest during the game was fantastic, exactly the kind of publicity you need in your fight.

Will be keeping an eye on developments from the Essex Riviera and wishing you all the best.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Dec 2023 12:36

windermereROYAL
The Real Sandhurst Royal Some of the RFC squad (Carson, Mbengue, Elliot and Ehibhatiomhan) fell well short of their potential against Eastleigh doing themselves no favours of being selected in the 11 that takes to the pitch in League One going forward.

Possibly the same reason that people were screaming for Elliott to start in matches, he was awful yesterday and was rightly hooked at HT.

I'm not judging Elliot on that performance. He is not a left winger and should never have been played there.

He is a central midfielder. He should hjave been moved centrally at half time and Savage taken off.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Dec 2023 12:41

Hound
URZZZZ

Watched the goal back a few times on the highlights- caveat here is that being a midget through my teen years - heading is something I know even less about than the rest of the game, but

He seems to be treating the cross like it’s a free header in space - not attacking the ball and trying to head it towards the centre spot. With that lump barging into him he must surely have just concentrated on getting his head to the ball first and heading it back from roughly the way it came from.

As it was, he missed the header altogether, hit his shoulder and then it’s game over from there. Seems a simple mistake for a CB to make

To put an idea across on Holmes, should we try him at RB again? That's where he was best for us (albeit in a season where we were pretty good in general). That RB position needs a long-term solution to Yids, Mbengue likely isn't it, Rushesha won't be either and Abrefa doesn't seem to be anywhere.

I'm not basing it on anything other than, he was solid for us when played there a few seasons ago. He might not have the attributes to be the RB we need, but is that an option because I can't see his place in the team otherwise.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2023 12:50

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound
URZZZZ

To put an idea across on Holmes, should we try him at RB again? That's where he was best for us (albeit in a season where we were pretty good in general). That RB position needs a long-term solution to Yids, Mbengue likely isn't it, Rushesha won't be either and Abrefa doesn't seem to be anywhere.

I'm not basing it on anything other than, he was solid for us when played there a few seasons ago. He might not have the attributes to be the RB we need, but is that an option because I can't see his place in the team otherwise.

Nah. If you want a CB to play fullback long term they need a bit of pace and to be comfortable with the ball and taking people on, crossing helps too. I don't think Holmes has what it takes.

I still think he can be a good CB. But he needs a run in a team that's performing. It's looking more and more like he needs a new club.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Dec 2023 13:00

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Hound

Nah. If you want a CB to play fullback long term they need a bit of pace and to be comfortable with the ball and taking people on, crossing helps too. I don't think Holmes has what it takes.

I still think he can be a good CB. But he needs a run in a team that's performing. It's looking more and more like he needs a new club.

Just had a look at a few stats historically, his best pass % was the season where he was at RB mainly. 80.3% overall with 2.5 long passes per game across 30 starts and 9 sub appearances. Not making a justification for him, just a genuine question.

Nothing else particularly stands out amongst his stats for that season though, was decent enough defensively.

Compared to Yiadom in 21/22, Yids made more tackles, but gave away a few more fouls per game 1.1 compared to 0.7, but made 2.4 tackles compared to Holmes' 1.1. On the ball Holmes was slightly better with his passing %, but he also played more long balls per game. Overall, Yids was 6.84 on average, Holmes was 6.6 according to WhoScored.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2023 13:02

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Just had a look at a few stats historically, his best pass % was the season where he was at RB mainly. 80.3% overall with 2.5 long passes per game across 30 starts and 9 sub appearances. Not making a justification for him, just a genuine question.

Nothing else particularly stands out amongst his stats for that season though, was decent enough defensively.

Compared to Yiadom in 21/22, Yids made more tackles, but gave away a few more fouls per game 1.1 compared to 0.7, but made 2.4 tackles compared to Holmes' 1.1. On the ball Holmes was slightly better with his passing %, but he also played more long balls per game. Overall, Yids was 6.84 on average, Holmes was 6.6 according to WhoScored.

But Yids is much quicker and much better at taking someone on and beating them.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 04 Dec 2023 13:03

YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99

Holmes RB, Dorsett LB. Be like some of Pulis’ Stoke teams :)

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Dec 2023 13:50

Snowflake Royal
YorkshireRoyal99
Snowflake Royal Nah. If you want a CB to play fullback long term they need a bit of pace and to be comfortable with the ball and taking people on, crossing helps too. I don't think Holmes has what it takes.

But Yids is much quicker and much better at taking someone on and beating them.

Yeah again, not making a justification for him, just seeing what the general opinion would be. As mentioned one down, having 2 natural CB's as our full backs probably won't do much for us.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 04 Dec 2023 16:16

YorkshireRoyal99
Hound
URZZZZ

What's Tom Holmes' crossing ability like and ability to overlap the wide forward/winger?

Like Ian said I don't think he has those skills in him. He's also very slow in comparison to the standard right back.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 04 Dec 2023 16:22

My thoughts on yesterday.

Thought we started off positively enough, albeit without much end product. The first goal saw their player have far too much time to pick a cross down our left and Mbengue wasn't close enough to their man who did well to poke home when stretching. We were lucky not to be two down at the break. If their #20 had squared it when one-on-one with Pereira in first half stoppage time, I think it would've been a very long second half.

The changes at half-time made some difference, but it wasn't until Smith and Wing came on that was started to look dangerous. I don't think we created a huge amount of dangerous chances. Femi's goal was a fantastic strike though. At that point, we should've at least been getting a replay. We had the momentum after the goal, but couldn't get any serious chances - aside from the penalty we should've had (although with our penalty record this season, we still probably would've missed it). The officiating was poor, as usual.

Their winner was poor defending from the corner yet again; Holmes should be a lot stronger there and left their striker with an easy tap in. Our only chance following that fell to Pereira, who did his best with an overhead kick but was never really going to score.

Thought Pereira did well with multiple good saves, whilst Azeez was our most dangerous player going forward throughout the match. Smith and Wing were clearly a level above once they came on; it's obvious from the change how much we've missed Smith for most of the season. Dorsett down our left was missed - he's clearly a better option than Carson or Mola at left-back.

We didn't do enough in the game to deserve to get through the tie. That said, it was nowhere near as bad as Kidderminster. On to Wednesday...

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 04 Dec 2023 16:26

Royal_jimmy
YorkshireRoyal99
Hound

What's Tom Holmes' crossing ability like and ability to overlap the wide forward/winger?

Like Ian said I don't think he has those skills in him. He's also very slow in comparison to the standard right back.

Holmes at RB would be purely for defensive reasons, surely? Can't see him being effective in a wing-back role, but could see him being useful as what would effectively be a wide centre-back. I think Holmes would be best at the right-side of a defensive three.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 04 Dec 2023 16:36

I am not a knee jerk reaction kind of supporter, but frankly Selles needs to go after yesterday.

Our embarrasment at losing to a non-league side is, frankly, irrelevant; the Managre needed to prioritise a win yesterday, and play his best team. The £67,000 cheque for winning a Round 2 tie would have been useful, and then getting a potentially winnable Round 3 tie meant the possibility of another £105,000 winners cheque.

In our current fnancial position, £172,000 would go a long way to paying wages...............................so for that reason, for being totally oblivious to the position we are in and instead thinking we are some top Premier League team able to rest loads of 1st team players, Selles should go.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 04 Dec 2023 16:53

Clyde1998
Royal_jimmy
YorkshireRoyal99

Holmes at RB would be purely for defensive reasons, surely? Can't see him being effective in a wing-back role, but could see him being useful as what would effectively be a wide centre-back. I think Holmes would be best at the right-side of a defensive three.

I think the wider players in a back three need to be quicker as your wing backs will be high leaving a big hole for him to struggle to get over to.

I think he's best as RCB in a 2 or middle of a 3.

For RCB in a two I'd say: Mbengue>Holmes>Bindon>Dean

For middle in a three I'd say: McIntyre>Holmes>Dean

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 04 Dec 2023 17:03

Snowflake Royal
Clyde1998
Royal_jimmy

I think the wider players in a back three need to be quicker as your wing backs will be high leaving a big hole for him to struggle to get over to.

I think he's best as RCB in a 2 or middle of a 3.

For RCB in a two I'd say: Mbengue>Holmes>Bindon>Dean

For middle in a three I'd say: McIntyre>Holmes>Dean

They need to be quick if they can't read the game, anticipate and position themselves correctly. Otherwise it's not a necessity.

442 posts