New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by winchester_royal » 13 May 2009 18:06

Doyler I would like Ferguson Jr but I fear the club will choose Dolan as a cost-cutting exercise so Madejski can maximise the club's worth to make it a more attractive prospect for potential buyers.

Not overly sure why some are calling Dolan a 'bad' choice. Good record with Exeter before he came to us as academy manager, and we are seeing the fruits of his labour at the moment with a number of quality youngsters on the books. Personally I favour Rodgers at the moment, but I would happy with almost every person being touted apart from Boothroyd.

Kevin Doyles Right Foot

by Kevin Doyles Right Foot » 13 May 2009 18:10

Brendan Rogers, he knows the youth players such as Karacan Henry Church Kelly Siggurdson Pearce coming through now, and hes a class act, done well at watford.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 13 May 2009 18:14

no one will take us up next season its about rebuilding so the way i see it might as well start with management.

half the squad will go and i would just like to see some ambition in keeping those players that will actually help us have a good season, like s.hunt 8)

maybe if possible a combination of brendan rodgers and eamon dolan would be a good start

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 13 May 2009 18:15

Brian Mcdermott

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 13 May 2009 18:16

loyalroyal4life no one will take us up next season its about rebuilding so the way i see it might as well start with management.

half the squad will go and i would just like to see some ambition in keeping those players that will actually help us have a good season, like s.hunt 8)

maybe if possible a combination of brendan rodgers and eamon dolan would be a good start

That's what I was thinking earlier. Could be a good combo.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 13 May 2009 18:19

jim gannon or paul tisdale, worked wonders at lower division clubs with small budgets and younger players, got them playing decent soccer too

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 13 May 2009 18:22

There's been rumours of a done deal with Rodgers for some time now. Watford are apparently keen on Dennis Wise, so wouldn't stand in the way. Brendan certainly has the energy, reputation and contacts that are probably necessary. Be interesting to see who he'd want as a right hand man, perhaps an Irish combination with Dolan is the way forward.

Can't see Parky, Sanchez or Pardew even getting to the interview stage. Always thought that Hoddle would be a possible successor, he'd be a decent option along with Curbishley if the money's there. Just hope we don't rush in to making an appointment for the sake of it.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 13 May 2009 18:23

If I was a betting man I'd be piling all my dosh onto Rogers - except the odds don't make it particularly worthwhile.

ankeny
Hob Nob Regular

by ankeny » 13 May 2009 18:25

Love it to be Tisdale but we all know Mad will go for the cheap option,somebody within the club.Hope he suprises me this time.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 13 May 2009 18:28

Arnie_Pie
loyalroyal4life no one will take us up next season its about rebuilding so the way i see it might as well start with management.

That's what I was thinking earlier. Could be a good combo.

well great minds think alike

would be good if it happened

the key will be someone who has contacts to bring in some decent players, who are actually hungry for the task in hand, both certainly have some

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

by tomrfcurz » 13 May 2009 18:29

I still actually want Alan Curbishley, i know some don't but i can't see why not

crossie
Hob Nob Regular

by crossie » 13 May 2009 18:31

dan19 I have sent my CV to the Chairman...now to wait

I saw that two stewards were directing you to Mr Madejski's office yesterday. How did the interview go?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 13 May 2009 18:33

I don't actually care much about the specifics.

My hunch would be ...

*someone young-ish but with experience of this level
*someone with some association with the club
*someone willing to fit into the management structure already in place

The last thing is the most important, I feel.

Alivey

by Alivey » 13 May 2009 18:37

I think Madejski should do what that one club did in the conference by filling the manager role for each game to the highest bidder. That way he won't have to pay to replace Copps and he makes a little money too!

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 13 May 2009 18:39

Curbishley would be good.
If he's interested in us, it shows how much our profile was raised under Coppell.
He wouldn't have been interested after Pardew done a bunk if out of work 5 1/2 years ago...

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 13 May 2009 18:39

Brendan Rogers would be good.
Dolan would be good for numerous reasons. Good manager and knows the infrastructure of the whole setup and can build on his academy success.

Someone like Dolan would give more drive and ambition to players like Pearce, Karacan, Federici, Henry, Church, Kelly, Robson-Kanu etc. who are all ready to progress to the next level of professional football and take this club forward.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 13 May 2009 18:43

Anybody seen this from Poyet on SSN? :shock:

Uruguayan tactician Gus Poyet has thrown his hat in the ring to succeed Steve Coppell at Reading.

The Royals find themselves without a manager after Coppell, who had been in charge since 2003, resigned after the team crashed out of the Championship play-offs to Burnley.

Former Spurs, Leeds and Swindon Town assistant manager Poyet is currently looking for work after being sacked along with Juande Ramos in October 2008.

Poyet enhanced his reputation during his time at Leeds under Dennis Wise, but found the going tough at White Hart Lane after initially helping the team win the Carling Cup with Ramos at the helm.

The 41-year-old is now looking to become his own man after serving his time as an assistant and he revealed he would jump at the chance to speak to Reading if an opportunity arose.
Massive club

"I think it's a massive club," he told Sky Sports News. "Of course I don't know what's going to happen, so I have to be respectful with the club.

"If there is an opportunity then I would be interested.

"I want to put my things on the pitch. Be in charge. Make decisions. I think that's the way I am.

"I think I have to be grateful to Dennis Wise and Juande Ramos.

"They gave me the chance to be an assistant, but now I think it's time for myself."

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 May 2009 18:44

clauski I'm a little confused by the number of people wanting Brendan Rodgers. Is it just because he used to run the Academy? Because his actual football managament experience comprises a 42% win rate in 31 games. More than a little untested and no indicator why he should be any better than say Parky just because he used to play for us (and also wouldn't be the right choice).

I think Boothroyd or Sanchez could be solid options given their track records, Hoddle given the name and early achievements. The only name I can think that would really excite me is Martinez but I think we would struggle to prise him away from Swansea or indeed stop another club coming in ahead of us.

When he took over at Watford they were fourth-bottom with 19 points from 19 games

He turned the team around (read the Watford Forum) and the side managed 39 points from their next 27 games.

Reading, with (we presume) a MUCH better squad) managed to accrue 43 points in the same 29 games

But it must have taken a few games for Rodgers' ideas to start to work. Look at his record in 2009

At the start of the year, Watford were on 27 points, 19th, 24 points and 17 places behind Reading (2nd)

At the season's end Watford were on 58 points, 13th, (31 points from 20 games = 71.3 points season) 19 points and 9 places behind Reading.

They also beat Scunthorpe and Palace in the FA Cup and played very well versus Chelsea (losing 1-3)

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 13 May 2009 18:45

Gus Poyet as said hes interested..big name with top level experience, but could he do anything on a limited budget?, a couple of foreign managers have done well at MK dons and Swansea so why not here?, surely he would get us playing the right way rather than hoofball, also time to say cheerio to Downes Dillon and Hammond with a bit of luck

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 13 May 2009 18:50

If we got Brendan Rodgers, what chance of getting Tommy Smith
a top-end goal-scoring midfielder?

1747 posts