Brian: The right decision?

3714 posts

Have the club done the right thing to sack Brian today?

Yes
51%
No
40%
Not sure
9%

Total votes: 568
sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Brian: The right decision?

by sandman » 15 Apr 2013 20:18

Mike Hunt
Man Friday Re: McDermott watch

by Royalee » 14 Apr 2013 14:05

"F*ck off Brian, you should have gone before Christmas. Their fans'll suss out your long ball cheerleading pretty quickly."

Tbf, Royalee has always been a raving lunatic.

Corrected

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 15 Apr 2013 20:48

Biscuit_Boy

by Biscuit_Boy » 15 Apr 2013 20:59

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Apr 2013 22:04

sandman

- Said Coppell should've gone when we went down and said he was a bottler while you lot went to his parking space pleading with him to stay - we failed to come back up and he wasted our chance to go straight back up...Coppell turns up at Bristol City and resigns weeks in
- Said we should never have sacked Rodgers as he'd turn out to be a top manager while you all ridiculed me - he then beats us in the playoffs, takes Swansea up and is managing one of the most famous clubs in world football whereas we'll be in the Championship 4 years later
- Said McDermott should've gone in November much to your disgust - eventually had to sack him 4 months later after he sealed our fate

Raving lunatic, or just a few brain cells ahead of some of you lot?

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 Apr 2013 22:11

Man Friday "McDermott apologists"

Feckin' disgraceful comments about a Reading Legend.

13 feckin' years.

How long before some of you fickle, ungrateful lot turn on Adkins?

Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves. No principles.

Adkins will be a big success here as long as the fans stick with him and I will definitely be fully behind him - quote me on that.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 15 Apr 2013 23:38

Royalee
sandman

- Said Coppell should've gone when we went down and said he was a bottler while you lot went to his parking space pleading with him to stay - we failed to come back up and he wasted our chance to go straight back up...Coppell turns up at Bristol City and resigns weeks in
- Said we should never have sacked Rodgers as he'd turn out to be a top manager while you all ridiculed me - he then beats us in the playoffs, takes Swansea up and is managing one of the most famous clubs in world football whereas we'll be in the Championship 4 years later
- Said McDermott should've gone in November much to your disgust - eventually had to sack him 4 months later after he sealed our fate

Genuinely, agree.

Thinking Brian is a nice bloke and out of his depth are not contradictory.

Rodgers (the man) I wasn''t crazy about but I always felt he'd do well.

Sir Steve (another nice bloke) was burning out. Look at him since he left us.

Sal Paradiso

by Sal Paradiso » 17 Apr 2013 13:36

This kinda thing just shows what a man he is.

Sal Paradiso

by Sal Paradiso » 17 Apr 2013 13:36

And, by that, I mean a great, great man

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 17 Apr 2013 19:14

Royalee
sandman

I believed in you. xo

But I can see why the club acted on Rodgers. the signs were worrying.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 17 Apr 2013 19:24

Under Rodgers we were improving, it was a slow progress but it was improving, we really jumped the gun by getting rid of him, I don`t always agree with Lee but I`m right behind him on this one.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Apr 2013 19:46

windermere_royal Under Rodgers we were improving, it was a slow progress but it was improving, we really jumped the gun by getting rid of him, I don`t always agree with Lee but I`m right behind him on this one.

Could easily have been a blip. We were pretty poor again in a couple of games just before he left. And it's not like it didn't work out extremely well for us. Keeping him may have worked out. Getting rid absolutely did.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Apr 2013 19:56

Short-term it worked out wonderfully, in the long run though? I'm not so sure...though I'm sure there will be many who disagree with me.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 Apr 2013 21:05

winchester_royal Short-term it worked out wonderfully, in the long run though? I'm not so sure...though I'm sure there will be many who disagree with me.

Long run... it's ridiculous to even try and consider. Rodgers could have got us playing better football if he hadn't taken us down. And he could have taken us up. And he could have strengtherned us better. And he could have kept us up. But would he have? Utter speculation based on virtually nothing when there are far too many variables and uncertainties.

Even this abortion of a season has strengtherned us IMO. We're likely better off financially and can certainly out spend most of our Championship rivals for the next couple of years. We've boosted our profile and spent another year showing our faces at the top level. We've made a lot of mistakes we can learn from and our background team have more experience at a higher level. I don't think you could really argue we'll be weaker than the start of last season. Not as strong as 2008/09 maybe.

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 18 Apr 2013 01:51

winchester_royal Short-term it worked out wonderfully, in the long run though? I'm not so sure...though I'm sure there will be many who disagree with me.

How long is the long term though? A couple of seasons? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? McDermott was very successful with us for 2 and a half years - I think that's reasonably long-term for football. Personally I couldn't criticise the decision to change manager back in December 2009 and think it was probably vindicated, especially if you take away the benefit of hindsight.

Sometimes a manager just reaches the end of line at one club. Possibly McDermott did that here last month, and possibly Rodgers did it in here in Dec 2009. Who's to say that Rodgers would have been successful with us in the long-term had he stayed, or that he'd currently be in the Premier League? Equally who's to say that Brian McDermott won't be back in the Premier League in a few seasons?

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 18 Apr 2013 10:23

Now that relegation is all but confirmed after one lukcy point from four games since Brian left, I think we can all agree it was a terrible decision.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 18 Apr 2013 12:24

Maguire Now that relegation is all but confirmed after one lukcy point from four games since Brian left, I think we can all agree it was a terrible decision.

It was a decision made for the long term, not this season.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 18 Apr 2013 12:34

Interesting to hear some of the players comments over the last few weeks.

They seem be happy that they're being asked to play a bit more football and trusted a bit more. I think it was Kelly that even said they're starting to work a bit harder and get fitter.

Taking away my general cynicism for all things that those in football come out with, I think it's interesting that a few comments have been made that appear a little negative on McDermotts recent time.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 18 Apr 2013 12:50

Maguire Now that relegation is all but confirmed after one lukcy point from four games since Brian left, I think we can all agree it was a terrible decision.

Not saying it was the right decision, but how many points were you expecting from those four games?

Muskrat
Hob Nob Regular

by Muskrat » 18 Apr 2013 13:13

Royalee
Man Friday "McDermott apologists"

Feckin' disgraceful comments about a Reading Legend.

13 feckin' years.

How long before some of you fickle, ungrateful lot turn on Adkins?

Some of you should be ashamed of yourselves. No principles.

Adkins will be a big success here as long as the board stick with him and give him £30 million to spend and I will definitely be fully behind him - quote me on that.

Corrected for you.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 18 Apr 2013 14:28

No such thing as a lucky point Mags, as you've been so quick to remind us regarding last season.

bite

3714 posts