Coppell's latest backtrack

470 posts
TommyF
Location: sitting on the dock of the bay, watching the royals sail away

Re: Coppell's latest backtrack

by TommyF » 05 Feb 2008 14:09

Maybe should be on the Over Reacion Thread (or the 'I had too much time on my hands last night' thread):
The Reading City Evening Post, 2057 The Summer 2057 transfer window has slammed shut once more and Steve Coppell has again risked getting his fingers slammed in it. “I just felt that I should keep faith with the players I have”, said the Manager through puffs on Oxygen, “They got us to third last season and I have to respect them for that and show my support”. Many fans have again questioned the lack of ambition shown by the board but Director of Football Nicky Hammond said through a medium today, “Money was made available to Steve if he wanted it. He didn’t once produce a tarot card requesting a player and that shows how much trust he has in the lads here”.

With the redevelopment of the Madejski Stadium now complete and all the retirement homes built on the excess land sold, many to familiar faces, the future does look good. “It’s a much more intimate ground than before and that can only help. We’ll be able to hear the fans much better, especially given the new hearing loop” enthused Reading skipper Graham Murty (83), “and with half the team living on site we can now walk or take golf carts to the home games”.

We caught us with the youngest member of the squad, loveable Irishman Shane Long (70) and asked what it was like being the baby of the squad. “Well, it was quite tough for the first 20 years or so but you do get used to it. I am sprightlier than most though so I can get forward on attacks much better or can track back and hold up the ball, or James Harper as needed”.

Dealing with a squad such as Reading’s requires a lot of effort from team Physio Jon Fearn, who we asked about the 2 latest additions to the squad. “They’re both settling in really well, better than expected and with a good pre-season behind them, including the tour of Maidenhead, we think they’ll be fully up to speed”. Asked if he thought their inclusion could cause any problems he was quick to answer. “No, not at all – they’re much stronger then Marcus’s old hips and won’t keep popping like they did last season”.

Keen to end months of speculation about his future, Nicky Shorey (76) spoke about the medical he recently had in East London. “It was just my annual pacemaker check, same as last year. I get sick of all the fuss that’s made about it to be honest with you. I’m happy at Reading and just want to focus on improving and winning the Central Berkshire Seniors League”.

Finally we managed to grab a quick interview with Reading legend and leading goalscorer, Paul Kitson (77). “Go away you annoying little brats. Get lost before I hit you” he joked waving his walking stick at us, “you don’t even get my name right you little bratts. And I saw you taking the mickey when I was doing my evening work in Sainsbury’s the other day. Now get lost. You're all the same in your jumped up flash cars thinking you’re cool. Well in my day, I can tell you…”. Unfortunately he needed to rest at this point.

Once again, it’s business as usual for the Royals and we can only wait to see if this was well intentioned but naïve of Steve Coppell or if his faith will be repaid. Fans, as expected, are once again left feeling that maybe, just once we could have shown a little more ambition.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Feb 2008 14:30

Royal With Cheese
Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Platypuss How much has JM "lost" then?

How many games did he see when he was in Malaysia for a year for reasons of tax avoidance?

It's cost him around £50 million by popular estimates. For the first 16 years there wasn't any prospect of him getting a penny back.

No, he didn't see games when he was out of the country, but in 18 years I'd stand by my statement that he's been to more Reading games that virtually everyone on this board.

LOL!

Anyone that states they categorically know what Madejski has or hasn't lost must be either:

a) John Madejski or
b) John Madejski's accountant.

I would doubt that Madejski has lost anything with his backing of the Royals - despite what he says not because of it.

Would agree about the point that he does go to all the games though.

Agreed. LOL at anyone who still believes that JM did what he did for RFC out of purely philanthropic motives.

If he has lost money it was probably a comparatively small price to pay for the widespread fame and adulation that he has enjoyed. This is a man who few people outside of the business community had heard of until he got involved in RFC. His name is now known by everyone in the world who has any interest in English football. You will will have extreme difficulty in convincing me that sort of thing is not very important to JM and/or that he is publicity shy.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 05 Feb 2008 14:38

TommyF Maybe should be on the Over Reacion Thread (or the 'I had too much time on my hands last night' thread):
The Reading City Evening Post, 2057 The Summer 2057 transfer window has slammed shut once more and Steve Coppell has again risked getting his fingers slammed in it. “I just felt that I should keep faith with the players I have”, said the Manager through puffs on Oxygen, “They got us to third last season and I have to respect them for that and show my support”. Many fans have again questioned the lack of ambition shown by the board but Director of Football Nicky Hammond said through a medium today, “Money was made available to Steve if he wanted it. He didn’t once produce a tarot card requesting a player and that shows how much trust he has in the lads here”.

With the redevelopment of the Madejski Stadium now complete and all the retirement homes built on the excess land sold, many to familiar faces, the future does look good. “It’s a much more intimate ground than before and that can only help. We’ll be able to hear the fans much better, especially given the new hearing loop” enthused Reading skipper Graham Murty (83), “and with half the team living on site we can now walk or take golf carts to the home games”.

We caught us with the youngest member of the squad, loveable Irishman Shane Long (70) and asked what it was like being the baby of the squad. “Well, it was quite tough for the first 20 years or so but you do get used to it. I am sprightlier than most though so I can get forward on attacks much better or can track back and hold up the ball, or James Harper as needed”.

Dealing with a squad such as Reading’s requires a lot of effort from team Physio Jon Fearn, who we asked about the 2 latest additions to the squad. “They’re both settling in really well, better than expected and with a good pre-season behind them, including the tour of Maidenhead, we think they’ll be fully up to speed”. Asked if he thought their inclusion could cause any problems he was quick to answer. “No, not at all – they’re much stronger then Marcus’s old hips and won’t keep popping like they did last season”.

Keen to end months of speculation about his future, Nicky Shorey (76) spoke about the medical he recently had in East London. “It was just my annual pacemaker check, same as last year. I get sick of all the fuss that’s made about it to be honest with you. I’m happy at Reading and just want to focus on improving and winning the Central Berkshire Seniors League”.

Finally we managed to grab a quick interview with Reading legend and leading goalscorer, Paul Kitson (77). “Go away you annoying little brats. Get lost before I hit you” he joked waving his walking stick at us, “you don’t even get my name right you little bratts. And I saw you taking the mickey when I was doing my evening work in Sainsbury’s the other day. Now get lost. You're all the same in your jumped up flash cars thinking you’re cool. Well in my day, I can tell you…”. Unfortunately he needed to rest at this point.

Once again, it’s business as usual for the Royals and we can only wait to see if this was well intentioned but naïve of Steve Coppell or if his faith will be repaid. Fans, as expected, are once again left feeling that maybe, just once we could have shown a little more ambition.

Interesting review, are Fae and Kebe 'up to speed yet?' I mean they've had 49 years to get used to how we do things over here. Will they make an impact next season or is he sticking with Gunnarsson?

In all seriousness I'm not sure an 83 year old Gunnarsson would be any slower than the current version.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Feb 2008 14:49

TommyF Maybe should be on the Over Reacion Thread (or the 'I had too much time on my hands last night' thread):

so funny i almost laughed

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 05 Feb 2008 15:02

premiership_bound Same old crap here:

STEVE COPPELL admits his loyalty to his players will be put to the ultimate test in the run-in.

With the transfer window now closed the Royals boss will have to rely on his current squad.

He did bolster his numbers with the signings of Czech Republic international Marek Matejovsky and France-born Jimmy Kebe from Lens.

Matejovsky made a promising first start for his new club in the woeful 2-0 defeat at home to Bolton on Saturday, while I understand Kebe has recovered from a hamstring strain and will make his first appearance in a Reading shirt for the reserves in the rearranged match against Portsmouth.

The game, which will be played at Havant and Waterlooville’s Westleigh Park, was originally scheduled for tomorrow night, but the clubs are hoping to bring it forward a day to tonight.

Coppell was looking to bring in defensive reinforcements at one stage during the transfer window, but decided the centre of defence is well served by Ivar Ingimarsson, Kalifa Cisse, Michael Duberry, Andre Bikey and Ibrahima Sonko.

Duberry is recovering from a knee injury, while Bikey is still on international duty with Cameroon at the African Cup of Nations.

Sonko, though, returned from Ghana early after Senegal were knocked out, and he came on as a substitute for Reading against Bolton.

The Trotters fielded England Under-21 centre-back Gary Cahill, their new £6m signing from Aston Villa.

And Coppell told the Evening Post: “There were players available, but I didn’t think there were any who would give us something that we didn’t already have at the moment.

“We looked at Cahill, who had a terrific game for Bolton against us.

"But I made the decision that – with Sonko and Bikey coming back – we couldn’t have added a great deal. It might have been the wrong decision – we’ll have to see. I might be naive and only time will determine that.

“I do have loyalty to my players here. That is something I have been fairly consistent with.

“When they are playing well I’m more than happy with them. When they are not, no-one hurts more than me and I feel it more than anyone.

“I know they have much more in the locker, but we have to get back to producing what we did last year.

“We all want to do well, none more so than me. I know how much work they put in.”

Coppell is without several of his stars as Graeme Murty is away with Scotland for a training camp in Loch Lomond, while Matejovsky is away with Czech Republic and Kevin Doyle, Stephen Hunt and Shane Long are with the Republic of Ireland for tomorrow night’s prestigious friendly with Brazil.

But Royals’ boss insisted: “I don’t think having a few of them away will be a problem. The mood is good at training because everyone wants to put things right.

“There is a really good work ethic when we have had a defeat like we did on Saturday.

“We all know we have a real job on our hands.

“We have have fallen rapidly over the last month, but we have a third of the season to go and it’s down to us to put it right.”

First printed in: Reading Evening Post

Yet he admited after the last transfer window that he was wrong to show so much faith in the squad and it needed adding too.

Yet again he's saying he didn't sign anyone cause he has faith in the current squad, even though he already admited he was wrong to do so in the summer.

Next month it will be, I made a mistake in January, but I'll get it right in the summer....

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 05 Feb 2008 15:03

Steve Coppell via the EP And Coppell told the Evening Post: “There were players available, but I didn’t think there were any who would give us something that we didn’t already have at the moment.

But sometimes, Steve - and I'm sure you must know this, sometimes its just the signing of someone different that freshens everything up a bit and gives a bit of a lift to everyone connected with the club. They don't necessarily have to be better than what we have already it could just be their presence and a fresh face that gives the filip everyone needs.

That's why many fans are more than a little annoyed about the apparent lack of activity in the transfer market, the fact that there seemingly was no desire to at least try and freshen the squad with a couple of other players - and they were available - is both upsetting and depressing.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 05 Feb 2008 15:09

Yet he admited after the last transfer window that he was wrong to show so much faith in the squad and it needed adding too.-after a shakey start perhaps he wanted to use that to give them the kick up the ass they needed, it worked, we went on a good run

Yet again he's saying he didn't sign anyone cause he has faith in the current squad, even though he already admited he was wrong to do so in the summer.-
possibly trying to give them a confidence boost, and trying to convey a lack of panic to the squad

we dont know either way, but im just surmising that sir steve probably uses some of this a a motivational tool for the players

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 05 Feb 2008 16:52

The thing I particularly liked was the implication that we stayed up this year.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Feb 2008 19:43

RoyalBlue Agreed. LOL at anyone who still believes that JM did what he did for RFC out of purely philanthropic motives.

If he has lost money it was probably a comparatively small price to pay for the widespread fame and adulation that he has enjoyed. This is a man who few people outside of the business community had heard of until he got involved in RFC. His name is now known by everyone in the world who has any interest in English football. You will will have extreme difficulty in convincing me that sort of thing is not very important to JM and/or that he is publicity shy.

I guess when he bought the club his motivation was that it might make him famous in 15 years time.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Feb 2008 19:54

Royal With Cheese LOL!

Anyone that states they categorically know what Madejski has or hasn't lost must be either:

a) John Madejski or
b) John Madejski's accountant.

I would doubt that Madejski has lost anything with his backing of the Royals - despite what he says not because of it.

Would agree about the point that he does go to all the games though.

strange how you aren't a or b either, but seem completely convinced you are right.

But no, nobody but those two know how much he has written off as lost and how much is owed to him in loans. The estimate is that he's spent around £50 million though, and when you think of the cost of the stadium, the cost of the hotel, and the hotel expansion, and then add in that we've lost money in something like 16 of the last 18 seasons, that £50 million figure doesn't seem a wild estimate.

Yeah, we could have been paying him back £5 million a year since moving to the Madejski, but it wouldn't exactly have left much cash for doing anything else, would it?

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 05 Feb 2008 19:55

RoyalBlue Agreed. LOL at anyone who still believes that JM did what he did for RFC out of purely philanthropic motives.

Oh how I wish you had been around on the old RoyalMail mailing lists in '95-ish!I was crucified for daring to even suggest such a thing. Still, even if we go down and he leaves, we will still be in a much better position than when he took over, and had a hell of a ride in between!

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Feb 2008 19:57

Barry the bird boggler
Steve Coppell via the EP And Coppell told the Evening Post: “There were players available, but I didn’t think there were any who would give us something that we didn’t already have at the moment.

But sometimes, Steve - and I'm sure you must know this, sometimes its just the signing of someone different that freshens everything up a bit and gives a bit of a lift to everyone connected with the club. They don't necessarily have to be better than what we have already it could just be their presence and a fresh face that gives the filip everyone needs.
If we'd signed someone no better than what we have at the moment, would fans on here be saying...

a) someone different can freshen things up and give everyone a lift

or

b) we've bought another shit player

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 05 Feb 2008 21:38

I guess when he bought the club his motivation was that it might make him famous in 15 years time.

He was the saviour of RFC - it got him a heck of local attention for just 10p a share!

Managed to find that evidence he's lost £50M yet?

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 05 Feb 2008 22:05

QUOTE - This is a man who few people outside of the business community had heard of until he got involved in RFC. His name is now known by everyone in the world who has any interest in English football.

Thats probably because his real name isnt Madejski - its John Hurst but that doesnt have a very entrepreneural ring to it does it? The Hurst Stdium sounds as boring as the Walker Stadium ! Where do you think Hurst Publishing - publishers of Auto Trader came from?

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Feb 2008 22:12

Platypuss

He was the saviour of RFC - it got him a heck of local attention for just 10p a share!

Managed to find that evidence he's lost £50M yet?

managed to find evidence that the club has paid back the £50 million he's spent yet?

No, the club didn't cost much. It was losing something like £10,000 a week and had done for a while. And he had to cover the debt, or I guess you believe he was making the club pay it back out of the "profits".

The cost of the share is irrelevant as he bought the whole company. And as a company it was worth sod all.

And Madejski was unknown outside Reading for years after he bought the club. It wasn't until the stadium was built that anyone else even knew his name. Even for years after than he was an obscure figure. The stars weren't exactly queuing up to be sat with him for home games against Bury.

Yeah, I'm sure a bit of local celebrity status was a bit of a draw, just as it has been for pretty much every single other chairman who has bought a club in the history of the game.

But yeah, you must be right. John Madejski took over a bankrupt, poorly supported third division club of no obvious prospects, with a run-down stadium locked into an unpromising site, because he knew it was his ticket to fame. And he also realised that his hugely valuable publishing empire was nothing compared to the fortune he could make out of the 3000 fans paying £5 a week 23 times a year.

Now you've explained it, the big picture makes much more sense.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 05 Feb 2008 22:15

Platypuss Managed to find that evidence he's lost £50M yet?

managed to find evidence that the club has paid back the £50 million he's spent yet?

You made the claim - you back it up. That's how these things work.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Feb 2008 22:19

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Thats probably because his real name isnt Madejski - its John Hurst but that doesnt have a very entrepreneural ring to it does it

considering he changed his name when his Polish father married his mother after returning after WWII, presumably when he was still a child, I don't think having an "entrepreneural ring to it" had a great deal to do with it.

Anyone got dynorod's number? I'm thinking of calling them to see if they can clear up the huge blockage of shit that's clogged this site for the past few days.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Feb 2008 22:21

Platypuss

stadium £30 million
Hotel £10 million
running costs for nearly 20 years (estimate) £10 million.

= £50 million.

I can't prove that, but as you've claimed he doesn't owe anything, you try and back up what you claim.

Berry

Has Coppell finally lost it??

by Berry » 05 Feb 2008 22:25

Reading tonight on the teletext SC quoting again that he has faith in the squad thats why he didnt really buy anyone during the transfer window, he stated that what was on offer was no better than what weve got already. My question is Mr Coppell, Where the oxf*rd are you actually looking for players? Over Prospect Park?
How many times has he swung between "We need to make changes etc etc" to "We must reward the team that done so well in the previous seasons" I dont know about SC but im getting pretty confused and to be quite honest bored of his indecisions.
We all know players have been on offer over the transfer window is he really saying there was nothing as good or better than weve got. I find that pretty insulting as a Reading fan, he is sounding like an MP who cant decide what side of the party he belongs to.
IMO the sands of time are running out, we and more importantly the team need guidance not Bullshit.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator

by Platypuss » 05 Feb 2008 22:38

Platypuss

stadium £30 million
Hotel £10 million
running costs for nearly 20 years (estimate) £10 million.

= £50 million.

I can't prove that

Thanks. Dynorod will be busy.

So what claim do you think I have to back up then?

470 posts