STEPHEN HUNT - IS HIS TIME UP?

831 posts
Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: STEPHEN HUNT - IS HIS TIME UP?

by Tony Le Mesmer » 23 Jan 2009 11:09

boy1985
londinium Surely that summary for Hunt sums up every player at RFC except Doyle maybe???

Exactly! The only player we have actually missed after he'd left is Sidwell. 5million for an average player is good business, people get too attached to players for some reason.

How is £5m good business. Surely you are not so deluded that you think its going to be reinvested in the Team?

boy1985

by boy1985 » 23 Jan 2009 11:11

Tony Le Mesmer
boy1985
londinium Surely that summary for Hunt sums up every player at RFC except Doyle maybe???

Exactly! The only player we have actually missed after he'd left is Sidwell. 5million for an average player is good business, people get too attached to players for some reason.

How is £5m good business. Surely you are not so deluded that you think its going to be reinvested in the Team?

Not the whole £5mil no, we wont need to. Its the people who think Hunt is the difference between promotion and no promotion who are deluded :roll:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 23 Jan 2009 11:14

Tony Le Mesmer How is £5m good business. Surely you are not so deluded that you think its going to be reinvested in the Team?

Because it is at least £2.5m more than he is worth. I am pretty confident that a replaement will be found for a fraction of that fee and on lower wages too.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 23 Jan 2009 11:17

If we replace Hunt the way we replaced Shorey, Kitson and Sonko then I'm sure we'll all have cause to tear up our season tickets.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 23 Jan 2009 11:18

Huntley & Palmer
cmonurz Wigan are enjoying their 4th consecutive season as a Premier League side, and currently sit 7th (or 8th?) in the league. In the context of Stephen Hunt, they are a bigger club.

More importantly, a club that has a manager that has stamped his mark on the team and is comfortable with his playing staff. They have the stability that means they shouldn't be fighting for their lives in a relegation scrap every season

I dont think you could ever say that Wigan are a team that are 'safe' from the drop-next season without zaki and heskey and maybe valencia they are a team that are quite capable of moving back into the relegation pack.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 23 Jan 2009 11:19

Sun Tzu If we replace Hunt the way we replaced Shorey, Kitson and Sonko then I'm sure we'll all have cause to tear up our season tickets.

I know exactly what you mean, I feel cheated, mugged off.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 23 Jan 2009 11:21

I believe that Wigan will come back down at some point in the future.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 23 Jan 2009 11:22

Thaumagurist* I believe that Wigan will come back down at some point in the future.

That's quite a prediction. :roll:

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 23 Jan 2009 11:29

Sun Tzu If we replace Hunt the way we replaced Shorey, Kitson and Sonko then I'm sure we'll all have cause to tear up our season tickets.

'greed, Armstrong's far too quick, N Hunt scores far too many goals and our own goal and penalty concession rates have fallen through the floor since Sonko left. I'm abso-fucking-lutely gutted at the way things have gone.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 23 Jan 2009 11:31

boy1985
Not the whole £5mil no, we wont need to. Its the people who think Hunt is the difference between promotion and no promotion who are deluded :roll:

There is one very simple reason why his replacement will be on less wages.

And in a competitive Championship one Premiership quality player can very well be the difference.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 23 Jan 2009 11:32

£5million pounds for someone we rescued on a free has to be good business in the transfer fee sense-he has only played two full seasons for reading and is 27/28!.For once i think we can applaud Reading for getting it right about our 'commodities' and actually playing a strong hand of our own.As for replacements, armstrong and hunt for 600-750k and duberry at 800k ( Sonko at 2.5m) cant be bad!If Premiership teams want to pay the maximum for players thats up to them,i fail to see that Wigan will get £5million pounds worth of talent out of Hunt given his age-he's a good player for us but vastly overrated in premiership terms.
Last edited by holsgrove breaks a leg on 23 Jan 2009 11:34, edited 1 time in total.

boy1985

by boy1985 » 23 Jan 2009 11:33

CMRoyal

'greed, Armstrong's far too quick, N Hunt scores far too many goals and our own goal and penalty concession rates have fallen through the floor since Sonko left. I'm abso-oxf*rd-lutely gutted at the way things have gone.

I know how i wish we'd gone out and spent all the 15+mil we got from those deals on 'big' names

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 23 Jan 2009 11:33

cmonurz
Thaumagurist* I believe that Wigan will come back down at some point in the future.

I should have said "near future". i.e. within 3-5 years.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 23 Jan 2009 11:34

is Hunt off or not,then?

boy1985

by boy1985 » 23 Jan 2009 11:34

Thaumagurist*
cmonurz

I should have said "near future". i.e. within 3-5 years.

They way the premier league is going, same could be said for more than half the clubs there

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 23 Jan 2009 11:38

Tony Le Mesmer
boy1985

And in a competitive Championship one Premiership quality player can very well be the difference.

No sign of Doyle leaving though...

I'm not in the anti Hunt camp at all, he's done a very, very good job for us but I also think that if he goes it may give us the opportunity to change things a little and give the teams who think they may have sussed us something to think about. A player with a little more guile perhaps ?
Last edited by Sun Tzu on 23 Jan 2009 11:42, edited 1 time in total.

boy1985

by boy1985 » 23 Jan 2009 11:40

Sorry to use the old line 'know someone at the club' but Hunt wants out. The deal will be done pretty soon i think

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 23 Jan 2009 11:42

boy1985
CMRoyal

'greed, Armstrong's far too quick, N Hunt scores far too many goals and our own goal and penalty concession rates have fallen through the floor since Sonko left. I'm abso-oxf*rd-lutely gutted at the way things have gone.

I know how i wish we'd gone out and spent all the 15+mil we got from those deals on 'big' names

I think the differnece is that Shorey, Sonko and Kitson were far easier to replace than Hunt.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 23 Jan 2009 11:43

Tony Le Mesmer
boy1985

Because both players linked currently play at clubs who pay less? Wages paid does not equal how valuable a player is right at the start of their career at a club, Hunt wasn't one of our top paid performers to begin with that came with time and a few decent performances in the Prem.

There is no reason to believe that either replacement could not come in to a team doing well, in a divsion in which they are performing well, and shine for us.

It will be disappointing to lose him in many ways, but this could aslo end up being very good for the club. S.Hunt's proposed move will not make or break our season IMO esp if he wants out.

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 23 Jan 2009 11:44

boy1985 Sorry to use the old line 'know someone at the club' but Hunt wants out. The deal will be done pretty soon i think

You just need to read his own comments to know he wants out.

831 posts