455 posts
CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Matthew Mills - SIGNED

by CMRoyal » 06 Aug 2009 10:42

West Stand Man
CMRoyal
Agent Balti For info...

"Ryan confirmed that Rovers receive £1.5 million from Reading over the next twelve months and upto £500,000 more depending on how well Reading and Mills do in the Championship in the next season.

Ryan also said that Manchester City had a 20% sell on clause in Mills transfer last summer, but Rovers have also included a 20% sell on clause with Reading in any future deal with him leaving the Royals."

Ryan being the Doncaster chairman.

Sell-on clauses seem to be getting ever longer. It'll end up like a pyramid scheme whereby East Croydon Under-11s will get £8.50 as a result of a £12million transfer from Wigan to Arsenal.

I think you are misreading the comment somewhat. Man City had a 20% sell on clause in their contract with Doncaster, that is now expired and Doncaster have a sell on clause with us.

:oops: You're right. I'm not a work, so I was skim-reading. :wink:

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Matthew Mills

by Woodcote Royal » 06 Aug 2009 13:23

brendywendy
As part of what you laughably call the steve coppell fan club-as if supporting the greatest manager in our history was somehow worthy of derision :roll:
i would just like to point out that i have always believed that it was coppells decision not to spend bigger, and that he has always been backed with the cash by our wiggy chairman

I have never had a problem ackowledging Coppell's huge achievements in his two best seasons here.

However, I do have a serious problem with those who refuse to accept that most of those achievements have been wiped out over the last 2 seasons and, in particular, with the idiot section of his fan club who insist on blaming the Chairman for Coppell's shortcomings............................respect to you for not being part of the last category.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 06 Aug 2009 13:25

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 06 Aug 2009 13:26

Woodcote Royal However, I do have a serious problem with those who refuse to accept that most of those achievements have been wiped out over the last 2 seasons

I don't read the team board much so I don't know anything about your agenda, but a serious :roll: at this ^^^^

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 06 Aug 2009 13:33

Woodcote Royal
brendywendy
As part of what you laughably call the steve coppell fan club-as if supporting the greatest manager in our history was somehow worthy of derision :roll:
i would just like to point out that i have always believed that it was coppells decision not to spend bigger, and that he has always been backed with the cash by our wiggy chairman

I have never had a problem ackowledging Coppell's huge achievements in his two best seasons here.

However, I do have a serious problem with those who refuse to accept that most of those achievements have been wiped out over the last 2 seasons and, in particular, with the idiot section of his fan club who insist on blaming the Chairman for Coppell's shortcomings............................respect to you for not being part of the last category.

Can anyone provide a link to the alternative Hob Nob that Woodcote seems to get his source material from these days.

SHORT AND CURLY

by SHORT AND CURLY » 06 Aug 2009 20:20

Just ignore the fickle idiot.
As soon as Rodgers loses a game or two he will stop going any way.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 06 Aug 2009 20:23

Just remove the blinkers and all will be revealed.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Aug 2009 20:24

Woodcote Royal
brendywendy

YOu can scratch me from those who think Coppell wasn't back with cash by Madejski as well. But there is no way he has wiped out his achievements with one poor season and one ultimately frustrating and dissapointing one.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 06 Aug 2009 20:35

Well, he has taken us up and then back down again, but that ignores everything else that's happened to the club.

I'm not sure why you're all arguing about it tbh.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 06 Aug 2009 20:37

Back on topic:

Matt Mills will surely make his debut vs Burton Albion in the LOLeague cup, and can then try break his way ahead of Cisse/Pearce?

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 06 Aug 2009 20:39

Do you think there's a chance he could come on for a 10 minute cameo on Saturday?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Aug 2009 20:40

moo Back on topic:

Matt Mills will surely make his debut vs Burton Albion in the LOLeague cup, and can then try break his way ahead of Cisse/Pearce?

Sounds like the plan to me. Gives him time to get to know his new team mates, system and gaffer better, whilst also easing him in ready for Newcastle against less demanding opposition.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 06 Aug 2009 20:44

Sarah Star Do you think there's a chance he could come on for a 10 minute cameo on Saturday?

Centre back is the last position a player should make a 'cameo'

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 06 Aug 2009 20:45

moo
Sarah Star Do you think there's a chance he could come on for a 10 minute cameo on Saturday?

Why's that then?

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 06 Aug 2009 20:48

Sarah Star
moo

Why's that then?

The central defenders are the heartbeat of the team and consistancy is so important, to suddenly at the last 10 mins of a game throw a centre back in for a cameo and disrupt that is just a risk not worth taking. Worse case, two players not used to each other make a massive howler, and there is no real best case, its not really going to make a 'impact' to win the match.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 06 Aug 2009 20:52

moo Back on topic:

He wont have to try, hes a cert when fit. Pearce and Mills will be the back two.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 06 Aug 2009 20:53

Deathy
moo Back on topic:

He wont have to try, hes a cert when fit. Pearce and Mills will be the back two.

Is he better than Pearce, Bikey, Ivar (when fit), or even Cisse?

Maybe Peter Castle and Armagedon Rifat are better?

Time will tell.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 06 Aug 2009 20:54

Thanks Moo. I can see that you need players who work together at the back, but does that mean even if we're 4 goals ahead or more with 10 minutes to spare we wouldn't send him on?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 06 Aug 2009 20:54

Look back through the match reports Sarah, and see how often you find a centreback brought on to play at centreback when the substitution wasn't enforced by injury.

It's rare. Not as rare as subbing your keeper, but still very rare.

Of course I can't provide you with stats to prove it, because I'm not that much of a loser and don't need numbers to prove what my experience of watching football for almost 15 years tells me when it's blatantly obvious.

(I hope you realise that's not a dig at you.)

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 06 Aug 2009 20:56

Ian Royal
Woodcote Royal
brendywendy

YOu can scratch me from those who think Coppell wasn't back with cash by Madejski as well. But there is no way he has wiped out his achievements with one poor season and one ultimately frustrating and dissapointing one.

Last season may have been frustrating but it was also the second disastrous one on the spin that put us back to an almost identical position to when Coppell joined.

Only one season of remaining parachute money plus a more advanced academy and training facilities prevents us from being the same club that was chasing promotion 4 seasons ago.

And to the menatally challenged Short and Curlie, I'd like to point out that the late Tommy Burns was the last manager to persuade me to stay away until Coppell went into his bunker.

When did we ever fail to sell out a home play off semi until a pathetic 16k? turned up to watch our defeat against Burnley?....................I make that at least 6,000 Reading fans who, like me, just couldn't face what they knew was going to happen.

Only work will prevent me from taking my seat this season now that big, black, Liverpudlian cloud has been lifted.

455 posts