680 posts

who do you want as our next manager?

George Burley, a jock who likes his booze
2%
Darren Ferguson, another jock
27%
Steve Coppell, never go back?
13%
Lawrie Sanchez, no personality/long ball?
2%
Steve Cotterill, another Brenda = talks a good game but little else?
1%
Gareth Southgate, ummm track record?
6%
Alan Curbishley, out of his comfort zone?
29%
Sean O Driscoll, unproven at a big club?
4%
Paul Hart, better as a youth coach?
0%
Glen Hoddle, has the halo lost its glow?
3%
Paul Tisdale, the thinking man's crumpet?
6%
Phil Parkinson, mean, angry but has he the nous?
6%

Total votes: 326
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Manager

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 17 Dec 2009 18:07

So why if we are appointing from within would we ignore they guy who very, very nearly got it in the summer?

Or apoint someone who has shown no intrest in management before?

Answers on a post card children....

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Dec 2009 18:08

MmmMonsterMunch Theere's a reason why coaches are coaches & managers are managers. Giving it to Brian would be a grave error IMO but if he does get it then we have to get 100% behind him.

Brian isn't a coach. He was Reserve team manager (where they won the league BTW) and is now Chief Scout.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 17 Dec 2009 18:10

winchester_royal
MmmMonsterMunch Theere's a reason why coaches are coaches & managers are managers. Giving it to Brian would be a grave error IMO but if he does get it then we have to get 100% behind him.

Brian isn't a coach. He was Reserve team manager (where they won the league BTW) and is now Chief Scout.

Fair enough but so was BR!! Still not much we can do about it & I will cheer on the lads!

Jonny Fordham seems to imply that all was well at the Xmas party on Tue night so they must have had a row. Has to be.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 17 Dec 2009 18:11

winchester_royal

Until yesterday he was. He is now Manager.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 17 Dec 2009 18:11

it seems to me that both Madejski and Rodgers had thoughts of parting company, and both took their chance yesterday with gusto.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 Dec 2009 18:15

This is the result of the unclear statement from RFC.....

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 17 Dec 2009 18:16

I hope you're right Ideal. IF the club did sack him & there wasn't a row, then I find it hard to believe we don't have someone in mind otherwise why pay Rodgers off at all?

It all points to them having a row TBH.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 17 Dec 2009 18:17

Yeah we don't do statements well.

Reading between the lines it is very obvious though.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 17 Dec 2009 18:18

Ideal DG, the official website only says he has taken charge of first team matters forthwith.
It does not say that he has been made manager, or any such statement to that effect.
How you view this information is then up to you.
I choose to think that we will appoint a new manager within the coming week or so.

Fair enough, but I think it's significant that both SJM & BMc have not answered and press queries about how long this'll appointment is likely to be for, and also teh fact that the words caretaker, temporary or interim do not appear in anything coming from the club.

I also think that the qualities top of SJM's shopping list will be cheap (tick in box), knows the club (tick in box), knows the young players (tick in box). I think the job's there for BMc to win or lose.

I also think that this was unplanned and more or less down to SJM alone, possibly acting on impulse - so the appointment might be as well.

(BTW all the above is speculation)

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 17 Dec 2009 18:22

Ideal Well I have money on Ferguson (both with Paddy and victor chandler), so I'm definately hoping McD is just temporarily in charge while they agree a contract with DF.

Sayin it over and over doesn't mean it will happen.

Just ask Royalee.......

:wink:

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 17 Dec 2009 18:25

Ideal
Ideal Well I have money on Ferguson (both with Paddy and victor chandler), so I'm definately hoping McD is just temporarily in charge while they agree a contract with DF.

Sayin it over and over doesn't mean it will happen.

Just ask Royalee.......

:wink:

Hehehe ;)
Difference being I am legitimately allowed to hope for Ferguson being appointed as there is still a valid chance he may well be, and the bookies have him as the firm favourite for the job, while Rodgers was in fact a failure and did in fact get the sack.
So there is a very big difference in terms of how realistic the two points of view are ;)

What are the odds on McD then?

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 17 Dec 2009 18:29

Didn't we have something like this after Pards left as well - that someone was put in charge temporarily (on a 'let's wait and see' basis) and a few defeats down the line SC was appointed? Can see the same thing happening here - with the usual excellent great timing of waiting till the end of January ....

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 17 Dec 2009 18:37

Ideal
MmmMonsterMunch What are the odds on McD then?

Victorchandler:
D. Ferguson 6/4
McDermott 9/5
Tisdale 4/1
Coppell 12/1

Paddy:
D. Ferguson 6/4
Curbishley 10/1
Coppell 12/1
(No option for McD)

Skybet:
D. Ferguson 11/8 (was 7/4 just an hour ago)
McDermot 6/4
Coppell 16/1

Hmm interesting. I hope you get a payout Ideal!! Rodgers must've been under some pressure from the club otherwise he wouldn't have rounded on Dellor like that.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 17 Dec 2009 18:44

winchester_royal
Ideal
winchester_royal McDermott would not be the worst option.

We don't have time, especially in this busy period, for a completely new guy to come in and get familiarised with the team.

Yet, according to you, it seems we have time for a completely inexperienced man to learn his trade?

He's more experienced in football than Ferguson.

As a scout maybe but no way in terms of management

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 17 Dec 2009 18:44

Ideal I expect we'll have to wait some time before an appointment is made, after all it is not just a new manager, it is also an assistant and a coach, so there are three people to be agreed contracts with, which probably takes some time.
And I agree with your thoughts, Rodgers knew the house was on fire, that's why he got so upset with Dellor.

I guess we'll know soon ehough. If Brian gets a few decent results, it wouldn't surprise me if he stays in the job. I don't really care as long as we start getting some points. Clinging onto the hope that some teams may get deducted 10 pts for going into adminstration!

Berry

by Berry » 17 Dec 2009 18:50

Its really funny reading the rubbish people write on here, I work for the Club, not at the higher levels but high enough to know whats going on and some people are so wide of the mark its unreal, If you want to put a pound on who will be the next manager then Mr Southgate might be worth a punt, he has Steve Coppell to sound him out about the Club and Pards, The sticking point will be Madejski, he wont spend money, so I would also put a pound on someone like Paul Sturrock.
WTF has Ferguson really done, he is in the same mould as the Irish one and would need money to turn it around, that money isnt there.
Im waiting for the usual soundbites of am I a programme seller etc etc, believe what you want :lol:

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 17 Dec 2009 18:52

Always a good way to advances one's carer in football....

Berry

by Berry » 17 Dec 2009 18:54

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Always a good way to advances one's carer in football....

Whos the Carer??

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 17 Dec 2009 18:55

Dirk Gently
Ideal DG, the official website only says he has taken charge of first team matters forthwith.
It does not say that he has been made manager, or any such statement to that effect.
How you view this information is then up to you.
I choose to think that we will appoint a new manager within the coming week or so.

Fair enough, but I think it's significant that both SJM & BMc have not answered and press queries about how long this'll appointment is likely to be for, and also teh fact that the words caretaker, temporary or interim do not appear in anything coming from the club.

The words "caretaker, temporary or interim" would only be necessary if they preceded the word "manager".

The statement I've seen simply states that McD will "take responsibility for first team matters forthwith". By not saying that he's been appointed to any particular post, there's no need to state that the appointment is temporary, or only on an interim basis etc.

I would guess that they haven't answered queries because they don't know!

Berry

by Berry » 17 Dec 2009 18:56

I certainly dont care and to be fair the depression thats been heaped on the club since SC left, I would be surprised if anyone does.

680 posts