Hob Nob Regular

Re: Gylfi is leaving Reading

by LoyalRoyal22 » 30 Aug 2010 14:35

Im at work atm, but the only thing on my mind is Glyfi :|

The Insider

by The Insider » 30 Aug 2010 14:36

Sorry gents, have I missed something ??

We all know that Gylfi and his agent insisted on a contract release clause when he signed his new terms in the Summer, no doubt with a substantial figure attached to this to the tune of £5m or similar. I am sure whatever the figure was, it was a substantial amount.

Now contractually and legally, if a club bid the release amount then Reading FC have no choice but to accept the bid, however reluctantly that may be. They then have no choice but to allow the bidding club the opportunity to speak to Gylfi and it's up to Gylfi if he wants to go and agree terms.

Bottom line, Gylfi CAN reject the deal if he wanted to. The Club CANNOT, they have a legal obligation.

This is why Brian McD was so desperate for the window to close, the club are powerless to prevent or reject a bid that meets the release clause valuation. Unfortunately the worst fears were realised, most probably due to the performance against Germany U21 and his goal vs Leicester.

I don't believe for 1 second that the Club has a desire to sell Gylfi, I think they are simply powerless to prevent it.

Also, before anyone jumps in, we could have insisted on a ridiculous £10m or similar release fee value, but contracts are negotiations and Gylfi and his agent would have flatly refused to sign a new contract unless the release fee was sensible. I would certainly have said that £5m or similar was sensible, especially with a 20-30% sell on clause for a player that may go for £20m at some stage with the new high profile he'll get in the Bundesliga.

Sir Rodger Doyle

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 30 Aug 2010 14:36

Richi Royal
Sir Rodger Doyle Can someone tot up all of the transfer dealings since 2006/2007 including this one at say £4.25M?

From the last 3 seasons i.e. since relegation, from memory I make it around....

08/09
Out
Shorey – 3 Mill
Kitson – 5.5 Mill
Fae – 3Mill
Sonko – 2Mill
Convey – Free
Oster – Free
Little - Free
In
Armstrong – 500k
N Hunt -650k
Tabb – 300k
Mooney – 300k
08/09 net = + 11 million
09/10
Out
Murty - Free
USA - Free
Lita – Free
Duberry - Free
Doyle – 6.5 Mill
Bikey – 3 Mill
S Hunt – 3 Mill
Rosenior – 250 k
Harper – 300k
In
Mills – 2Mill
Rasiak – 450k
McAnuff – 500k
Howard – 500k
Cummings – 250 k
09/10 net = + 9 Million
10/11
Out
Rasiak - 0
Marek – 700k
Cisse – 500 k
Henry – 300k
Gylfi – 4.25 Mill
In
Griffin – 250k
Williams -0
Net total 10/11 = + 5.5. Million

Over 3 seasons Net = + 25 Million

These figures are all from memory.....also this does not take into account wages which would make massive indents for example last season Hunt and Doyle (20k each) Bikey, Murty, USA, Lita, Harper and Rosenior (say 10k each (guess)) = 100k per week = around 5 million saved from wage bill per year.
This year Rasiak, Cisse, Marek, Gylfi, (say 8 k each) and Henry (say 3 k) have saved already 35k per week or 1.8 million over the year!! (half the 4 million we need to save before transfer fees!!)

Thank you for that. Does this not smack of the worst run club in the league? We spent £12M on an extension to the Hotel and a couple of million on a Premier league media centre. Then cried that we had to find millions to break even. Then we reduced season ticket prices. Are they just trying to justify a reduction in ambition? If this deal goes through, I am not looking forward to telling my Gylfi shirt clad boy that his hero has gone. I suppose I'll have to buy him a new one. Who do you think would be the safest name to put on the back? Karacan? Mills? Mcanuff? Madejski? Hammond? Howe?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 30 Aug 2010 14:38

That's all well and good but why offer a new contract in the first place? Didn't the current one have some time to run?

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 30 Aug 2010 14:38

Sarah Star Isn't this part of being a self-supporting club though - selling players when they can command a decent fee in order to build your squad?

Where's the evidence that we are going to 'build our squad'? We have not built our squad for over 3 seasons. If you ignore any sales of our 'star' players, and just count incoming, then yes - we're building. But truth, sadly, gets in the way, and whilst I agree that we've had to balance wages, all we have done is buy to replace what we've lost. That's not building.

IF (and it's a bloody big IF), Gylfi does go and we get the top end of what's been reported, £6m, then we should be able to get 3 players in of decent quality. I seriously, seriously doubt that we'll get more than one. The one being Zurab, at best. Anything else and we're just doing the same old, same old.

I will await SJM commenting in the REP tomorrow stating "That is yet another measure of our modus operandi to sell anything decent that moves in our drive to be the best run club in Berkshire."

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 30 Aug 2010 14:39

Unless someone he knows has died or perhaps Stephen doesn't want to be his brother or friend anymore because another family will pay him more to be their brother!

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 30 Aug 2010 14:39

Terminal Boardom That's all well and good but why offer a new contract in the first place? Didn't the current one have some time to run?

To put a 'release clause' in it, obviously. Kevin Doyle? Stephen Hunt? Remember? It's how we work.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 30 Aug 2010 14:40

LoyalRoyal22 i dont use use twitter. what did noel hunt put on their relating to gylfi!?

Noel hunt boyhunt

I'm very sad and gutted to loose a good friend today

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 30 Aug 2010 14:40

Sir Rodger Doyle Does this not smack of the worst run club in the league?

Just off the top of my head I would say Cardiff, Pompey, Southampton, Man City & Hull are all examples of much worse run clubs

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 30 Aug 2010 14:41

M Brook
LoyalRoyal22 i dont use use twitter. what did noel hunt put on their relating to gylfi!?

Noel hunt boyhunt

maybe his dog died

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Aug 2010 14:41

Madstad to Nadderud
Schards#2 As a fan, I want to be entertained and I want to see success. I am not excited or entertained by an impressive balance sheet. If I was, I would support a FTSE 100 company and break out the rumblestix at the AGM.

Maybe the club's ambitions and mine are hopelessly out of kilter. I could live with selling off Premiership big money players to build a young side from the acadamy, but now it's clear we are simply going to flog off the best of these as soon as they can command a decent fee, i'm increasingly asking myself what is the point?

I couldn't agree more!

Exactly.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 30 Aug 2010 14:42

Agent Balti Where's the evidence that we are going to 'build our squad'? We have not built our squad for over 3 seasons. If you ignore any sales of our 'star' players, and just count incoming, then yes - we're building. But truth, sadly, gets in the way, and whilst I agree that we've had to balance wages, all we have done is buy to replace what we've lost. That's not building.

Well, there's just a hint of irony about the fact that after we sold our premier league stars for millions we replaced them with.... Gylfi! No ambition there then.

adamh4608

by adamh4608 » 30 Aug 2010 14:43

Richi Royal
Sir Rodger Doyle Can someone tot up all of the transfer dealings since 2006/2007 including this one at say £4.25M?

From the last 3 seasons i.e. since relegation, from memory I make it around....

08/09
Out
Shorey – 3 Mill
Kitson – 5.5 Mill
Fae – 3Mill
Sonko – 2Mill
Convey – Free
Oster – Free
Little - Free
In
Armstrong – 500k
N Hunt -650k
Tabb – 300k
Mooney – 300k
08/09 net = + 11 million
09/10
Out
Murty - Free
USA - Free
Lita – Free
Duberry - Free
Doyle – 6.5 Mill
Bikey – 3 Mill
S Hunt – 3 Mill
Rosenior – 250 k
Harper – 300k
In
Mills – 2Mill
Rasiak – 450k
McAnuff – 500k
Howard – 500k
Cummings – 250 k
09/10 net = + 9 Million
10/11
Out
Rasiak - 0
Marek – 700k
Cisse – 500 k
Henry – 300k
Gylfi – 4.25 Mill
In
Griffin – 250k
Williams -0
Net total 10/11 = + 5.5. Million

Over 3 seasons Net = + 25 Million

These figures are all from memory.....also this does not take into account wages which would make massive indents for example last season Hunt and Doyle (20k each) Bikey, Murty, USA, Lita, Harper and Rosenior (say 10k each (guess)) = 100k per week = around 5 million saved from wage bill per year.
This year Rasiak, Cisse, Marek, Gylfi, (say 8 k each) and Henry (say 3 k) have saved already 35k per week or 1.8 million over the year!! (half the 4 million we need to save before transfer fees!!)

Plus premiership money, we are a very well ran club. if we beleave its going on debt because thats what we will be told. to me all that money has been wasted, and that is the sign of a well ran club. NOT. no money put in to the team, means we could go down and that will mean more cloth cutting as falling gate and it goes on time to make a stand

toppy
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by toppy » 30 Aug 2010 14:44

http://twitter.com/boyhunt

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 30 Aug 2010 14:44

Agent Balti
Terminal Boardom That's all well and good but why offer a new contract in the first place? Didn't the current one have some time to run?

To put a 'release clause' in it, obviously. Kevin Doyle? Stephen Hunt? Remember? It's how we work.

It may be how we work but if his existing contract had 2/3/4+ years to run, where is the need to renoegotiate a contract and INSERT a minimum release fee clause? I would have thought the the sensible thing to do would be to wait till the contract had 12-18 months to run and then start the negotiations. In the time that had passed, his stock may well have risen and we could have inserted a higher MR fee.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 30 Aug 2010 14:45

M Brook

Noel hunt boyhunt

He's not dead :!:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Aug 2010 14:45

Oh it's not 8million it's 10 million.

Now I feel better.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 30 Aug 2010 14:47

I will scream if I read any more comments about getting that aged money grabbing centre half Zurab to replace the younger, cheaper and vastly more talented Gylfi.

If we got him I'd cringe every time he played, thinking that his massive wedge of wages was being funded by selling off our top academy talent.

Similarly Fryatt, wtf.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 30 Aug 2010 14:49

The Insider Sorry gents, have I missed something ??

We all know that Gylfi and his agent insisted on a contract release clause when he signed his new terms in the Summer, no doubt with a substantial figure attached to this to the tune of £5m or similar. I am sure whatever the figure was, it was a substantial amount.

Now contractually and legally, if a club bid the release amount then Reading FC have no choice but to accept the bid, however reluctantly that may be. They then have no choice but to allow the bidding club the opportunity to speak to Gylfi and it's up to Gylfi if he wants to go and agree terms.

Bottom line, Gylfi CAN reject the deal if he wanted to. The Club CANNOT, they have a legal obligation.

This is why Brian McD was so desperate for the window to close, the club are powerless to prevent or reject a bid that meets the release clause valuation. Unfortunately the worst fears were realised, most probably due to the performance against Germany U21 and his goal vs Leicester.
I don't believe for 1 second that the Club has a desire to sell Gylfi, I think they are simply powerless to prevent it.
Also, before anyone jumps in, we could have insisted on a ridiculous £10m or similar release fee value, but contracts are negotiations and Gylfi and his agent would have flatly refused to sign a new contract unless the release fee was sensible. I would certainly have said that £5m or similar was sensible, especially with a 20-30% sell on clause for a player that may go for £20m at some stage with the new high profile he'll get in the Bundesliga.

Ok fine.

If what you say is the way it is, I expect the club will have fully prepared for such an eventuality and will use every penny of the sale strengthen the squad immediately.

If not it is clear the contract was just a way of making sure we get more money for him, with no intention of reinvesting.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 30 Aug 2010 14:53

Terminal Boardom
Agent Balti

It may be how we work but if his existing contract had 2/3/4+ years to run, where is the need to renoegotiate a contract and INSERT a minimum release fee clause? I would have thought the the sensible thing to do would be to wait till the contract had 12-18 months to run and then start the negotiations. In the time that had passed, his stock may well have risen and we could have inserted a higher MR fee.

It's a safety net. It's a win-win. The player gets a slightly better wage, and he agrees to the release clause. Which is a win for the club, it also puts clubs off that can't/won't meet that figure in the contract. If a release clause ISN'T present, then any transfer all idle speculation an his agent can swarm all over him to get him to move at any/every window. Also, his contract is worth much more at 4 years than it is at 12-18 months.

1419 posts