A 2-1 Derby County
H 4-1 Bristol City
A 1-1 Hull City
H 2-1 Burnley
H 1-0 WBA FA CUP
A 3-0 Doncaster

Played 8 Undefeated

W5 D3 13 Goals For 4 Against - "2.25 points per game" = 103.5 point season

Because you really need stats to prove that the team has improved with Leigertwood in it...

The results (stats) prove it beyond much doubt.
But texters and some on here can't analyse a game beyond very simple basics.
Hence we still have texters slagging off Jobi McAnuff, and until he started scoring they were dissin Long as well.
A point well made my son.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Mikele Leigertwood

by Ian Royal » 16 Jan 2011 16:15

Those results show the team and results have improved, they don't show it's Leigterwood that's caused it. There is correlation, but not necessarily causation. Having watched most of those games (bar the few most recent ones, I don't think you could really say Leigterwood was having a particularly big impact early on. In fact he was a virtual passenger against Leeds and poor against Hull with a couple of solid displays and a v. good one against Brizzle in between.

Certainly his impact (until recent games at least) has not been near as big as Long's fantastic change into top draw scoring form. And I don't think there's much evidence to show Leigterwood has had an impact there. Long was getting chances before and missing them.

Duke the Dog

by Duke the Dog » 16 Jan 2011 16:54

Fair point, but I think Elwood has made a mjor contribution to our imrprovement (alebeit gradual). He keeps things simple and tidy, has some talent in there, closes down well and breaks up play. This helps the midfielder alongside him and relieves the presssure on the defence (a la Sidwell and Parky). I wasn't sure about him at first (agreed about him being a passenger against Leeds), but now I like him. Can we keep him?

Franchise FC
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Franchise FC » 16 Jan 2011 16:58

Snowball With Elwood Playing

H 0-0 Leeds United
H 0-0 Coventry City
A 2-1 Derby County
H 4-1 Bristol City
A 1-1 Hull City
H 2-1 Burnley
H 1-0 WBA FA CUP
A 3-0 Doncaster

Played 8 Undefeated

The most stunning part of this is that a run of 5 wins and 3 draws would be fantastic in most parts of any season.
In 2005-06, we were averaging more points per match than that for 45 matches.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Jan 2011 17:37

Duke the Dog Fair point, but I think Elwood has made a mjor contribution to our imrprovement (alebeit gradual). He keeps things simple and tidy, has some talent in there, closes down well and breaks up play. This helps the midfielder alongside him and relieves the presssure on the defence (a la Sidwell and Parky). I wasn't sure about him at first (agreed about him being a passenger against Leeds), but now I like him. Can we keep him?

He's definitely added something and agreed he looks to play the simple pass, whilst being a good calm challenger. That's something we'd been missing as Howard isn't a great tackler and Tabb & Karacan can be a bit headless chicken and too quick to hook it away sometimes.

Not that I'm saying any of them aren't good players. Because they are.

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 17 Jan 2011 13:56

Ian Royal
Duke the Dog Fair point, but I think Elwood has made a mjor contribution to our imrprovement (alebeit gradual). He keeps things simple and tidy, has some talent in there, closes down well and breaks up play. This helps the midfielder alongside him and relieves the presssure on the defence (a la Sidwell and Parky). I wasn't sure about him at first (agreed about him being a passenger against Leeds), but now I like him. Can we keep him?

He's definitely added something and agreed he looks to play the simple pass, whilst being a good calm challenger. That's something we'd been missing as Howard isn't a great tackler and Tabb & Karacan can be a bit headless chicken and too quick to hook it away sometimes.

Not that I'm saying any of them aren't good players. Because they are.

I'm not really bothered by stats and am more pursuaded by the evidence of my own eyes and that tells me that he has made a huge difference to the way we are playing.

His positioning is excellent and as mentioned he closes down players very well and he just seems to get his foot in to make a tackle when it's needed
He has great balance and strength and doesn't get easily knocked off the ball
His decision making is spot on and he usually plays the right ball at the right time, albeit it's a simple pass, but nothing wrong with that. Of late he is also playing longer through balls with success as well
Would like to see him shoot, perhaps not his forte

Reading's most influential player in the last three games at least

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 17 Jan 2011 14:19

Ian Royal Those results show the team and results have improved, they don't show it's Leigterwood that's caused it. There is correlation, but not necessarily causation.

This.

Duke the Dog Fair point, but I think Elwood has made a mjor contribution to our imrprovement (alebeit gradual).

And this.

It's just not good enough to show the results with Leigertwood in the team and sit back as if your work is done. There are many factors which could have influenced those results (not least the fact that we've had an easier run of late - compared with playing Norwich, Cardiff, QPR and Watford). Making out like the 103 point extrapolation is at all meaningful is ridiculous. There's probably only one side who will finish in the top 6 in that list (and, granted, a half-decent Premiership side too), and we've played 5 out of those 8 at home.

That said, the difference on the field is plain to see. He's the midfielder we've been lacking for several years.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Jan 2011 14:31

We are doing well because:

We are scoring goals: 13 goals in those 8 games. We failed to score in the game Elwood missed

We are scoring (Long is scoring) because we are playing 442 or something close to it, and that's allowed because Elwood is playing in midfield.

We are doing well because we are not conceding many goals, just 4 conceded in those 8 games. (We conceded and lost when Elwood didn't play)

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 17 Jan 2011 14:34

Shame he'll miss the game against the fakes then....

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 17 Jan 2011 14:54

blueroyals
Snowball With Elwood Playing

H 0-0 Leeds United
H 0-0 Coventry City
A 2-1 Derby County
H 4-1 Bristol City
A 1-1 Hull City
H 2-1 Burnley
H 1-0 WBA FA CUP
A 3-0 Doncaster

Played 8 Undefeated

Because you really need stats to prove that the team has improved with Leigertwood in it...

I think Snowball just enjoyed laying that sequence out. I can understand that, as in the nineties, when I was gambling, I collected vast amounts of statistics on football; and there is something aesthetically pleasing about a set of results like the above, which has no abberration. I fully grasp why Snowball loves doing this so much.

I don't collect any statistics at all these days. I used to break even on football, which was quite an achievement. But when I took into account the amount of time I spent analysing results, it wasn't worth the effort. I never found a miracle system, and I don't believe there is one. In theory, based on what we've seen so far, back the win and the draw each time Leigertwood plays and you will make a profit: not only that but Reading will make the playoffs or better. But nothing's ever as simple as that, unfortunately. Snowball have you ever used stats for gambling purposes?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Jan 2011 16:42

Barry the bird boggler Shame he'll miss the game against the fakes then....

Doesn't mean we will lose
Last edited by Snowball on 17 Jan 2011 16:55, edited 1 time in total.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Jan 2011 16:54

facaldaqui [

I think Snowball just enjoyed laying that sequence out. I can understand that, as in the nineties, when I was gambling, I collected vast amounts of statistics on football; and there is something aesthetically pleasing about a set of results like the above, which has no abberration. I fully grasp why Snowball loves doing this so much.

I don't collect any statistics at all these days. I used to break even on football, which was quite an achievement. But when I took into account the amount of time I spent analysing results, it wasn't worth the effort. I never found a miracle system, and I don't believe there is one. In theory, based on what we've seen so far, back the win and the draw each time Leigertwood plays and you will make a profit: not only that but Reading will make the playoffs or better. But nothing's ever as simple as that, unfortunately. Snowball have you ever used stats for gambling purposes?

Yes, way, way back, about 1968. I was in the RAF working on Lightnings and the squadron got posted to Gutersloh in Germany
but they left a skeleton staff back at RAF Leconfield. After a few weeks of painting or whatever there was nothing to do so
we had virtually every day to ourselves.

I started studying the dogs, in particular, taking times, adjusting them for the ground when run, and simply taking the 3 fastest dogs in 3 RFCs. I started to make shedloads of money, so much I was sending money to my parents.

Not so much stats - I was also backing novice hurdlers. I had a little black book. I used to look for horses that exactly ONE tipster had tipped first-time out (figuring he'd heard something) and if they led until the fifth or better I would back them each-way next time out. One I can still remember was "Star of America" which won at 20-1. I was ruthlessly disciplined and would only back according to the "rules". Again I was winning loads and sending money home.

I had a crazy thing happen one day. 5 of my black-book horses were in one race, 4 in another. So I did 20 E-W doubles and the bookie laughed at me and thanked me for my money. I had the first four in both races (but they only paid out on 1-2-3 in those days. I got the last laugh.

My Dad had a gambling problem and I started to get too hooked and stopped being "sensible". Began betting on every race etc just glancing at the form etc and started losing. So I stopped.

It stands to reason that if bookies make 10% overall profit you have to be at least 10% smarter than average to break even, more to make money. That's excluding fixed races!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 Jan 2011 17:12

Yes, way, way back, about 1968. I was in the RAF working on Lightnings

snowball. i wasnt sure before- but now i am.
i fcuking love you man

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Jan 2011 19:04

brendywendy
Yes, way, way back, about 1968. I was in the RAF working on Lightnings

snowball. i wasnt sure before- but now i am.
i fcuking love you man

Nineteen tons of screaming sh!t we called them. I was an Airframe technician.

Even got a special award for preventing a potential crash of one. :D

Joe 90

by Joe 90 » 17 Jan 2011 19:25

Snowball is a rigger?!?

Flippin' Lightnings used to leak all over hangar floors

Good to see ex forces types on here. ANy more out there?

8)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Jan 2011 19:49

Joe 90 Snowball is a rigger?!?

8)

Boy Entrant RAF St Athan (49th Entry) then RAF Leconfield - 92 Squadron (The Blue Diamonds)
then 60 MU, also Leconfield, then ARF (Aircraft Repair Flight) going all over the country

Topcliffe, Binbrook, Valley, Cottesmore, Disforth, and loads I can't remember in Lincolnshire

Managed to get myself a court-martial (refused a punishment) and got 28 Days in Catterick (served 24)

Winnershroyal

by Winnershroyal » 17 Jan 2011 19:55

Snowball
Joe 90 Snowball is a rigger?!?

8)

Boy Entrant RAF St Athan (49th Entry) then RAF Leconfield - 92 Squadron (The Blue Diamonds)
then 60 MU, also Leconfield, then ARF (Aircraft Repair Flight) going all over the country

Topcliffe, Binbrook, Valley, Cottesmore, Disforth, and loads I can't remember in Lincolnshire

Managed to get myself a court-martial (refused a punishment) and got 28 Days in Catterick (served

24)

That's 85.5% :shock:

Joe 90

by Joe 90 » 17 Jan 2011 23:36

Joined as Supply brat in '71. Did Colerne, Odiham, Benson, Wittering, Ay Nik, North Luffenham. Left early in '91.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 17 Jan 2011 23:43

Joe 90 Joined as Supply brat in '71. Did Colerne, Odiham, Benson, Wittering, Ay Nik, North Luffenham. Left early in '91.

Don't think I ever was posted to any of those

prostak
Hob Nob Regular

by prostak » 18 Jan 2011 00:05

Snowball, the Bukowski of HNA...

830 posts