The Tilehurst End & other Reading blogs

742 posts
Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Tilehurst End & other Reading blogs

by Wimb » 29 Nov 2012 11:01

Jon Hyde makes his TTE debut looking at Rodgers sacking and how it reflects on Brian's situation now.

http://www.thetilehurstend.com/2012/11/ ... an-rodgers

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 29 Nov 2012 11:58

Wimb Jon Hyde makes his TTE debut looking at Rodgers sacking and how it reflects on Brian's situation now.

http://www.thetilehurstend.com/2012/11/ ... an-rodgers

Very good article - spot on.

I was of the opinion that we should stick with Rodgers even if it meant a season in League One as I think we would have been stronger for it - but neither the club nor the fans were willing to take that route and wanted us to revert to 4-4-2 - which under Brian has been very successful.

I equally think that to change course now would be making an equivalent mistake to the one we made in sacking Rodgers. The fans would soon tire of trying to make this squad play like Swansea and I am 100% sure we would be related if we try to change the style again mid season. Better to stick with what we have now and accept the almost inevitable relegation (80% chance) and then Brian will need to re-think in the Championship next season.

It is a difficult call as the irony is that playing direct would probably bring success quicker in the Championship but will undoubtedly lead to failure at the higher level, so either we have to see a change of style as a long term process - maybe leaving us out of the PL for many years, or we have to accept that we will be a yo yo club for the foreseeable future.

REMTARDROYAL

Re: The Tilehurst End

by REMTARDROYAL » 29 Nov 2012 13:13

Alexander Litvinenko Reading's inability to hold onto a lead - and their habit of being dire in the second half : Second Half Syndrome

I read this article a while back and I think it gets the key point wrong.

Recent games have shown that the problem is down to tiredness and fatigue. Maybe not physical fatigue but as you get tired, you do lose a large amount of mental sharpness.

If you don't keep the ball, the other team have it for longer and you're forced to chase for it. In the Championship, other teams simply aren't good enough to keep it on the deck and make you work for it. Our midfield spend most of the time chasing shadows and then can't support the attack, who work the angles and channels well but have no support when they do retrieve the ball. Further to all that, the better standard of players ensures that we're constantly reacting to things, as the ball is played in intricate angles or to options not considered. Even Villa, whose midfield consisted of a tiny Scotsman and a guy who played for Crewe last season, managed to draw and stretch and manipulate our midfield.

So while we might still be the fittest team - and I've seen stats that show we do the most running - we're not doing it in an efficient manner, we're being forced to react to things (and therefore not even tiring down the opposition as much either) and fatigue creeps in. Being the fittest team in the league doesn't matter if your tactics mean you're absolutely spent by the 80th minute.

Look at the last goal against Wigan - they had a spare man in that last attack, with two players coming into the back post. Someone didn't follow his man from the centre.

That said, there is something in the vicious cycle argument, but I think the simple physical issue that running hard and chasing for 80 odd minutes is incredibly tiring on both body and mind matters more.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 29 Nov 2012 13:58

Add to that the fact that our two midfield "dogs" (and you could probably add McAnuff to that) are playing pretty much every minute of every game at the moment due to the paucity of midfield options available or the reluctance of the manager to offer any worthwhile alternative option.

That said i didn't think Villa offered any real threat other than from set pieces. Rather worryingly we've also looked extremely susceptible in this area this season which is something that we should be able to use as a leveller against the obvious quality gap we have with most of our opponents from open play.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 30 Nov 2012 20:34

Latest View From The Town End up,

Feels kind of silly asking a United fan who we should be worried about but more silly asking if he's worried about any of our mob. :lol:

Still, there's a lot of optimism about our season in there and I hope he's right.

http://www.thetilehurstend.com/2012/11/ ... ter-united

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 02 Dec 2012 13:09

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 03 Dec 2012 13:32

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 03 Dec 2012 13:49

Very good post Wimb. It's clear he's shot of his confidence but rather than mock him for everything shouldn't the fans try and help him get it back? Silly ironic cheers after that RVP mistake will not help.

Personally he's the best choice at the moment, Andersen is still young and some pompey fans were saying he looked a bit judgemental at times, Taylor is just there for cover really. I feel instead of sarcy jeers when he kicks or catches the ball we should be behind him to help him back. Awesome last season let's not forget he was a main reason we got promoted.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Dec 2012 10:44

Cheers RR. I don't think the jeering helps at all, especially with a player who's so reliant on confidence. OK he should be able to deal with a bit of pressure but if we can help by 1% by laying off him and getting behind him we'd be stupid not too.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Dec 2012 10:45

We look ahead to the Southampton game with Saints blogger Chris Rann.

http://www.thetilehurstend.com/2012/12/ ... outhampton

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 07 Dec 2012 12:33

Also we've got a competition on to win a scarf.

http://www.thetilehurstend.com/2012/12/ ... vile-rogue

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 08 Dec 2012 20:07

ESPN blog on the dire performance at Southampton : Royals in desperate need of Plan B

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 08 Dec 2012 20:10

Alexander Litvinenko Royals in desperate need of Plan B

Not quite sure how a shit rapper is going to help us to be honest.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 09 Dec 2012 13:10

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 10 Dec 2012 10:27

A blog on the managerial situation and the likelihood of McDermott being replaced soon : Can 'dynasty' of bosses follow McDermott?

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 10 Dec 2012 18:12

^^^ similar to Dirkers, my own thoughts on Brian long-term & short term.

http://www.thetilehurstend.com/2012/12/ ... -readingfc

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 10 Dec 2012 19:20

Wimb ^^^ similar to Dirkers, my own thoughts on Brian long-term & short term.

Another top post WIMB.

If I were Anton I would simply announce tomorrow that Brian is manager for the season whatever happens - would stop silly speculation as I think he is the manager for the Championship next season. Then we can go about starting to offload the old guard in January and buying in younger talent.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 10 Dec 2012 19:29

Wimb ^^^ similar to Dirkers, my own thoughts on Brian long-term & short term.

Great post

Enjoyed the read

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 11 Dec 2012 23:25

http://www.thetilehurstend.com/2012/12/ ... en-bleaker

Tonight's match report, if you fancy reliving any of that drivel. There are pictures and everything.

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 12 Dec 2012 13:34

Another TTE debutant, this time looking at our summer transfer dealings.

http://www.thetilehurstend.com/2012/12/ ... r-signings

742 posts