442 posts
Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

Re: MATCHWATCH : Eastleigh (a)

by Greatwesternline » 05 Dec 2023 13:53

Mr Angry
Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy
We could have drawn a West Ham, Arsenal, Spurs or Man Utd away and banked £1m which would cover wages and taxes for a few months whilst the ownership is sorted! So yes definitely criminal not to play the same team as Carlisle despite the injury risks. We have a big enough squad that if a key player gets injured we have cover until January.

Er... if we have a big enough squad that a key player getting injured has cover til January, why are you saying we should have played a full strength side when we could just use that 'cover'?. That's such a contradictory post.

Points are most important.

I don’t think Selles should have played the full league side, but he could have done a damnsight better with the team he did pick.

Thats the point I am making; right now in the circumstances we find ourselves in, raising revenues is the most important thing that we could (and should) have done; if we had won on Sunday we would have diminished the chances of failing to pay wages and then incur another points deduction.

Sometimes you need to focus on the immediate short term rather than think about the big picture.

This has actually always been my view of the FA Cup. It pays decent money for low level effort in prize money ticket sales and tv payments. A Championship team can get to the quarters with a bit of luck - we did - twice in recent memory, and that enable you to pay the wages of a top level championship player.

In our dire straights getting to round 4 would have been very good news. I'm always surprised more chairman dont have a word with their managers about the relative merits of a cup run for next season's squad.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: MATCHWATCH : Eastleigh (a)

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Dec 2023 17:26

Mr Angry
Snowflake Royal
Royal_jimmy
We could have drawn a West Ham, Arsenal, Spurs or Man Utd away and banked £1m which would cover wages and taxes for a few months whilst the ownership is sorted! So yes definitely criminal not to play the same team as Carlisle despite the injury risks. We have a big enough squad that if a key player gets injured we have cover until January.

Er... if we have a big enough squad that a key player getting injured has cover til January, why are you saying we should have played a full strength side when we could just use that 'cover'?. That's such a contradictory post.

Points are most important.

I don’t think Selles should have played the full league side, but he could have done a damnsight better with the team he did pick.

Thats the point I am making; right now in the circumstances we find ourselves in, raising revenues is the most important thing that we could (and should) have done; if we had won on Sunday we would have diminished the chances of failing to pay wages and then incur another points deduction.

Sometimes you need to focus on the immediate short term rather than think about the big picture.

The more adrift we are and more likely to go down, the less likely we are to have a buyer and a team next season.

We could and should have done more to try to win the tie, but not to the extent of risking the full first XI. Imo of course.

442 posts