Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

2091 posts
Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

by Forbury Lion » 01 Oct 2008 09:06

Schards#2 remians
You made a spelling error, which under hobnob rules causes your argument to cave in.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 01 Oct 2008 09:09

Barry the bird boggler IF we are in a rather good position in January that will can only count for the club in their efforts to retain Harper, Doyle, Hunt etc. Obviously if one of the bigger sides comes in it won't make much difference but if it's a struggling side making the bid we hopefully will be OK.

Whatever happens Reading FC know the situation and at the very least they must know already who they would want to bring in as replacements.

Hmmm.............what does history tell us on this subject?

Hampshire Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Hampshire Royal » 01 Oct 2008 09:13

Wax Jacket
The 17 Bus But is Schards wrong????

he won't be when we lose three on the bounce just after all the good players are sold

The point is schards said we were destined for mid-table mediocrity and we'd better get used to it. He also used words like dull and uninspiring.

Whatever we say about this season and this team, they are neither dull nor uninspiring. Last night, when we easily beat the early leaders indicates to me that we will be in the mix at the end of the season - at least.

As for falling apart after 'all the good players are sold' we somehow managed to survive the loss of three of our best players in the summer.

I don't feel I have to apologise for laughing at the doom-merchants. Of course it could all go wrong from here on, but as a fan since 1967, I have got used to revelling in the highs and dealing with the lows when and if they happen.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 01 Oct 2008 09:14

This thread has turned a bit silly . The last couple of results don't really make much difference as far as the concerns of the original post are concerned. Its great of course but doesn't change the original thinking about the uncertainty of Madejski and Coppell's longer term plans.

I don't agree with the original post BTW as i can see genuine cause for long term or even medium term optimism and I'd have felt that way even if we were a half dozen places lower at this stage .However if people are ridiculing the original poster based on a couple of recent results then they're not really addressing the points raised and simply engaging in childish point scoring.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 01 Oct 2008 09:21

I'm not going to ridicule Schards at all over the original point of the thread because of the last few results but I still find it difficult to discuss this subject not knowing what the criteria for defining progress is.

All that happens is that individual posters retreat into their previously entrenched positions and lob insults at each other - thats not debate!

And anyone who thinks Schards or anyone else who criticises the club would have been disappointed at last nights result - well, I think that says a lot more about those people who think that then it does about Schards et al.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Oct 2008 09:31

It is human nature that when you make a strong prediction, defend that position repeatedly to a whole load of people, then go so far as to back it up with money, there is a little bit of you that takes a modicum of pleasure when proved right, and does not take quite the unconditional joy one might otherwise have done when proved wrong.

It might even be on a vaguely sub-conscious level but it is there niggling away in the back of the mind.

Anyone who is truly honest with themselves will acknowledge that. (Which probably means no-one on here will, but there you go!)

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 01 Oct 2008 09:41

Vision This thread has turned a bit silly . The last couple of results don't really make much difference as far as the concerns of the original post are concerned. Its great of course but doesn't change the original thinking about the uncertainty of Madejski and Coppell's longer term plans.

I don't agree with the original post BTW as i can see genuine cause for long term or even medium term optimism and I'd have felt that way even if we were a half dozen places lower at this stage .However if people are ridiculing the original poster based on a couple of recent results then they're not really addressing the points raised and simply engaging in childish point scoring.

I agree with this - fair play to the original poster for stating his opinion. I don't agree with all of it, mainly on the point around "entertainment", but it is only an opinion.

I think that the silence will be deafening when we next hit a poor sequence of results.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 Oct 2008 09:41

Royal Rother It is human nature that when you make a strong prediction, defend that position repeatedly to a whole load of people, then go so far as to back it up with money, there is a little bit of you that takes a modicum of pleasure when proved right, and does not take quite the unconditional joy one might otherwise have done when proved wrong.

It might even be on a vaguely sub-conscious level but it is there niggling away in the back of the mind.

Anyone who is truly honest with themselves will acknowledge that. (Which probably means no-one on here will, but there you go!)

Shouldn't you be saying this in May?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 01 Oct 2008 09:42

Royal Rother It is human nature that when you make a strong prediction, defend that position repeatedly to a whole load of people, then go so far as to back it up with money, there is a little bit of you that takes a modicum of pleasure when proved right, and does not take quite the unconditional joy one might otherwise have done when proved wrong.

The fact that last night's result doesn't disprove my opinion any more than a heavy defeat would have proved it undermines your argument.

As previously stated, your opinions on how my mind works are simply wrong.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 01 Oct 2008 09:42

That's what I said.

This thread should be locked until May.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 01 Oct 2008 09:43

Denver Royal LOL at Woodcote and Rother giving it large. As if they have never been wrong. :P

No one gets everything right but it's Schards capacity to defend the defensible that's set him apart from most.

Many of us wanted Coppell out when he was still favouring the players who failed last season (and I still blame him for last season's relegation) but if it was hard to see any progress taking place a few weeks ago, that clearly isn't the case now..........................anyone who denies this will look silly and childish.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 Oct 2008 09:45

Woodcote just goes to prove with this post, the hugely fickle nature of our support. :lol:

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 01 Oct 2008 09:48

Huntley & Palmer Woodcote just goes to prove with this post, the hugely fickle nature of our support. :lol:

Absoultley - it SWINGS one way, then SWINGS another.
The Reading that I know and love will probably totally bollox it up against Burnley and it will SWING again.
On here, it's the same people and I don't pay much attention to what they have to say.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 01 Oct 2008 09:48

Sebastian
oxf*rd grow up - Schards actually doesn't give a toss what you think, and you're not impressing anyone by stalking him here there and everywhere over the fact that he has different opinions to you about certain things. Have a word with yourself.

So why is that on pretty much EVERY thread, whether it's on the Team Board, Anything Else, General Football or wherever, Schards is in an argument with one poster or another, so much so that it usually descends into a slanging match.

I'm sorry, but the guy is clearly very opinionated and loves an argument (which is fine BTW). However, he has to take it on the chin when he gets it wrong, because he's not shy in dishing it out. Live by the sword, die by the sword as they say.

As for the debate itself. Clearly the answer lies somewhere in the middle. We were never going to walk this league, at the same time we were never going to get relegated. I always thought playoffs at least was a very realistic target bearing in mind we only lost a few players (and because this league is pony). That happens to be exactly where we're sitting now (and have been for most of the season so far).

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 01 Oct 2008 09:50

Huntley & Palmer Woodcote just goes to prove with this post, the hugely fickle nature of our support. :lol:

Of course fans are fickle but this thread is about making progress and it's blatently obvious that we've made loads in the last month regardless of what you me or anyone else may have said in the recent past.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 01 Oct 2008 09:52

'gree with H+P and readingbedding.

"The Team" board = reactionary nonsense week in, week out.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 01 Oct 2008 09:52

Schards#2
Barry the bird boggler IF we are in a rather good position in January that will can only count for the club in their efforts to retain Harper, Doyle, Hunt etc. Obviously if one of the bigger sides comes in it won't make much difference but if it's a struggling side making the bid we hopefully will be OK.

Whatever happens Reading FC know the situation and at the very least they must know already who they would want to bring in as replacements.

Hmmm.............what does history tell us on this subject?

well they seem to have replaced little, kitson, and shorey quite well
and the sidwell shaped hole isnt quite as big any more either

the fact that apart from hunt, doyle, marcus, brynn and ivar-the rest of the team are new players, points to some sort of progress for me,

that said-great post in reply to spacey et al, spot on.

january will be the key test of this club

all i will say is that if we are top, and theres any chance of breaking our own records and making some more history the players would be mad to leave
shirley?! :wink:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Oct 2008 09:57

The only thing I have really taken issue with on this thread and keep poking away at is the dull and uninspiring bit. That is plainly wrong.

The rest is just posturing and banter or otherwise known as sensible and realistic over-reaction.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 01 Oct 2008 09:58

Nothing wrong with a bit of reactionary nonsense. Perhaps the sometimes dull atmosphere at the Madejski is distilling some of the passion of some fans. When we win well, like last night, I feel like we are unbeatable. When we lose dismally, I want questions answered, or more likely just everyone sacked. That's just football.

Wax Jacket
Hob Nob Legend

by Wax Jacket » 01 Oct 2008 10:01

Maguire 'gree with H+P and readingbedding.

"The Team" board = reactionary nonsense week in, week out.

absolute load of rubbish, 'greed. only worth posting on to poke fun at all the over-serious regulars and their "Reading till I die" mentality. Wherther or not RFC are any good doesn't really depend on whether a guy from Woodcote agrees with a guy from Lower Earley about a bet he's placed.

And with that, back to AE.

2091 posts