RODGERS OUT. END OF

467 posts
brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: RODGERS OUT. END OF

by brendywendy » 27 Oct 2009 13:25

Pitch looked fine after rugby at whe weekend, berti and mills look good,rasiak and mcanuff ok at this level as last minute signings. Looks to have settled on 442,and hopefully will pick same side with maybe a dm,and ivar in for coventry away. Its not great,but hed have a few more games if twere up to me.

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 27 Oct 2009 13:26

Spot on Cotswold.

Giving away £2m to Doncaster wasn't the greatest move either.

And anyone saying they'll be happy watching RFC knocking around in league 1 or 2 is seriously deluded. This club will just sink into anonymity if relegated, just like Bradford.

I enjoyed a couple of Div 4 seasons ... but only the ones we were promoted.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 27 Oct 2009 13:29

working class hero But 40% was not a big enough cut for the Club to be able to afford the wages - so poor contracting. Harps did not wish to go - when last I asked him if he was staying he replied 'it's not up to me if the Club want me to go'.

Back in the real world...
Your thoughts on how you might persuade players to actually sign contratcs with those sort of clauses in would be interesting.
The deals have to be attractive enough to the players or they won't sign.
I can see how losing Doyle and Hunt on free transfers would have made sense !!

Cotswold Royal

by Cotswold Royal » 27 Oct 2009 13:35

brendywendy Pitch looked fine after rugby at whe weekend, berti and mills look good,rasiak and mcanuff ok at this level as last minute signings. Looks to have settled on 442,and hopefully will pick same side with maybe a dm,and ivar in for coventry away. Its not great,but hed have a few more games if twere up to me.

In many ways you are right. However I think we both know that the pitch will deteriate rapidly over the winter. Anyway, that remark was just a teasing little aside 8) .

Personally, I don't think Rasiak is good enough at this level and I think he has proven that over the last few years. I think Mills is OK but does not have pace and Mcanuff is a luxury and is no better in my opinion than the luxury we already have. These are of course all opinions and open for debate and there is no doubt that he has had his hands tied financially.

The bigger problem is that he sees the players everyday and it has taken him 3 months to work out the best formation (if indeed he has) and his best team. He has not been overly hindered by injuries in this time either. For me, a Manager who takes that long to work things out, is not a good Manager.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 27 Oct 2009 14:00

BR has already taken too many liberties IMHO and he has collected a fair amount of hand-wringing, understanding apologists en route. The reality is that we lost again and the team could have been and was in some cases accurately predicted by other posters.

Certainly the enforced return to basics was probably not the frst choice of our own particular tinkerman, his previously outrageous comments, signings, team selections, substitutions and tactics demonstrate this adequately well.

It still grates with me that he went from one extreme to the other with his "great job, sleeping giant, excellent facilties, players etc etc" to "There is a massive task here" comments! and yes I do understand the difficulties he was up against and why anybody would talk it up etc.

But get real, we are where we are, we do have some serious problems and I for one am not convinced that a football manager who treats league programme matches as preseason games is not living in cuckoo land.

We have fallen too far, too fast through poor decision making throughout the club and it would always have been better to suffer midtable mediocrity through a less ambitious restructuring policy.

There's really no need to destroy the entire thing in order to justify shooting for the stars, we really weren't that bad to start with!

He has until the end of November to prove me wrong, for me at least, before it becomes too late!

Clearly time will tell who was right for whatever that may be worth!!!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Oct 2009 14:05

Cotswold Royal
brendywendy Pitch looked fine after rugby at whe weekend, berti and mills look good,rasiak and mcanuff ok at this level as last minute signings. Looks to have settled on 442,and hopefully will pick same side with maybe a dm,and ivar in for coventry away. Its not great,but hed have a few more games if twere up to me.

In many ways you are right. However I think we both know that the pitch will deteriate rapidly over the winter. Anyway, that remark was just a teasing little aside 8) .

Personally, I don't think Rasiak is good enough at this level and I think he has proven that over the last few years. I think Mills is OK but does not have pace and Mcanuff is a luxury and is no better in my opinion than the luxury we already have. These are of course all opinions and open for debate and there is no doubt that he has had his hands tied financially.

The bigger problem is that he sees the players everyday and it has taken him 3 months to work out the best formation (if indeed he has) and his best team. He has not been overly hindered by injuries in this time either. For me, a Manager who takes that long to work things out, is not a good Manager.

agreed

i was just being overly positive to counter the negativity :lol:

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 27 Oct 2009 14:05

Dorset-Knob BR has already taken too many liberties IMHO and he has collected a fair amount of hand-wringing, understanding apologists en route. The reality is that we lost again and the team could have been and was in some cases accurately predicted by other posters.

Certainly the enforced return to basics was probably not the frst choice of our own particular tinkerman, his previously outrageous comments, signings, team selections, substitutions and tactics demonstrate this adequately well.

It still grates with me that he went from one extreme to the other with his "great job, sleeping giant, excellent facilties, players etc etc" to "There is a massive task here" comments! and yes I do understand the difficulties he was up against and why anybody would talk it up etc.

But get real, we are where we are, we do have some serious problems and I for one am not convinced that a football manager who treats league programme matches as preseason games is not living in cuckoo land.

We have fallen too far, too fast through poor decision making throughout the club and it would always have been better to suffer midtable mediocrity through a less ambitious restructuring policy.

There's really no need to destroy the entire thing in order to justify shooting for the stars, we really weren't that bad to start with!

He has until the end of November to prove me wrong, for me at least, before it becomes too late!

tbf, you talk utter shite

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 27 Oct 2009 14:13

Spoken with the intelligence and foresight that you've always demonstrated.

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 27 Oct 2009 14:16

cheers m8, cant say I'm especially familiar with your posting style :!:

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 27 Oct 2009 14:40

Dorset-Knob BR has already taken too many liberties IMHO and he has collected a fair amount of hand-wringing, understanding apologists en route. The reality is that we lost again and the team could have been and was in some cases accurately predicted by other posters.

What I don't understand here is why people think that 'cutting the cloth' wasn't neccessary, the club needed money to survive not because it's looking to generate significant profits. Even after all this cloth cutting we'll amost certainly make a loss this season. How many businesses do you know allow themselves to make a loss? how many banks would support such a business more to the point

If 23,000 were turning up week in week out then maybe we could budget a bit higher? but oh wait we didn't even sell out a playoff semi final ffs :roll:

Only 1 man right now would have the power to let us spend beyond our means and it'll cost him millions of pounds to do so. He doesn't want to do that which is fair enough, he's happy to sell the club and nobody has come in so why are you slagging him off? He's not contractually bound to put money in, but he is in charge of seeing the club survive financially. Why shouldn't it be up to the club and its fans to generate the money anyway?

The reality is that last season we kept players on Premier wages, or at least high level Championship wages with a view to PROMOTION. That my friends is what they call a gamble and sadly when you gamble and you don't win, you lose, otherwise it wouldn't have been a gamble in the first place.

This situation COULD perhaps have been avoided IF Coppell had gone last year and we'd also sold off players like Doyle and Hunt. We would then have been left with some experience (Harper, Rosie, Murty, Doobs, Lita) without putting the club through the financial wrangle. We could then have blooded some youngsters and new players earlier and perhaps finished midtable. But no the club chased the dream, which is fair enough and a lot of fans (myself included) were happy for that. So instead of crossing over cycles we were left to start the bike again from a standing position... far harder then keeping it moving.

Now the above doesn't defend Rodgers or damn SSC. Quite frankly even with the 'cloth cutting' we shouldn't be where we are now but with a bit of luck and a few less silly mistakes from individuals we could well be a comfortable 15th or so and if you look back over the season objectively you will see this.

Where Rodgers HAS gone wrong is giving too many players 'a chance' and not just sticking to one particular formation. Rodgers himself seems to recognise this and hence the 'back to basis' message that's come out since WBA. This season has pretty much been split into three so far (Forest-Barnsley) (Cardiff-WBA) (QPR->) which has been a disaster and ruined any momentum and consistancy we could have hoped for. Now either the manager realises this fact and actually has the balls to stick to a plan or yes he should go. In my own opinion he's going to go for the former of that.

As for your point about Rodgers 'tune changing' he walked into a club which during his initial view did have all those positive attributes. Over the course of a few months his view has changed why is that such a crime? People here were slating him for being positive and for 'spin' suddenly he tells it like it is and he's being slated for being optimistic in the first place....

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 27 Oct 2009 14:46

^ Wimb Madejski has wanted to sell the club for three years now. So if we have been such a well-run club why has no buyer come forward?
Is it because Mr Mad is holding out for an unrealistic amount of dosh?

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 27 Oct 2009 14:51

PEARCEY So if we have been such a well-run club why has no buyer come forward?

You may not have noticed but in the meantime something's been happening with banks and the economy.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Oct 2009 14:52

PEARCEY ^ Wimb Madejski has wanted to sell the club for three years now. So if we have been such a well-run club why has no buyer come forward?

Yes he is asking for a high price but he is also very picky on who to sell to. He won't sell to any dodgy consortium or to meddlers like Carson Yeung.

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 27 Oct 2009 15:08

I have never said BR is without any merit whatsoever, but Wimb's example "giving too many players" a chance to shine doesn't sound like anykind of management plan or ability beyond hoping for the best or some kind of magic solution falling out of the mix.

I acknowledged, (or thought I did) the difficulties and realities financial et al, that the club is up against, and I did express that mine is a purely personal view.

Is it beyond the imagination of BR to get the fans back onside by making a simple statement to the effect that, things haven't got according to plan and we need to retrench, knuckle down together and fight our way out of danger?

Put an end to the fairytale bullshit and get real, the only way into Europe for this present regime is via the channel tunnel on a day return ticket!

Presumably this is just talking utter shite though TBF :wink:

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 27 Oct 2009 15:20

Cpl Jones Dont panic I saw Pardew walking into the Madsat last night, seems strange that he has watched us twice in a week, is his life really that desperate?
Scouting for players perhaps

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 27 Oct 2009 15:23

Forbury Lion
Cpl Jones Dont panic I saw Pardew walking into the Madsat last night, seems strange that he has watched us twice in a week, is his life really that desperate?
Scouting for players perhaps

Managers and coaches literally watch a match every evening that they can find one - it saves them going home and talking to their wives. Seriously, though, football people really do always go to a game if one is one, and we were about the only game going yesterday.

NR_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by NR_Royal » 27 Oct 2009 15:24

There were a significant amount of managers in the house

Alan Pardew
Harry Rednapp
Tony Adams
Dave Jones
Mark Robins

and probably more...

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Oct 2009 15:25

NR_Royal There were a significant amount of managers in the house

Alan Pardew
Harry Rednapp
Tony Adams
Dave Jones
Mark Robins

and probably more...

Jim Magilton
Brendan Rodgers
Nigel Pearson

Is Tony Adams a manager?

Ferris
Hob Nob Regular

by Ferris » 27 Oct 2009 15:26

NR_Royal There were a significant amount of managers in the house

Alan Pardew
Harry Rednapp
Tony Adams
Dave Jones
Mark Robins

and probably more...

Stuart Pearce, Steve Cotterill...

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 27 Oct 2009 16:11

Wycombe Royal
PEARCEY ^ Wimb Madejski has wanted to sell the club for three years now. So if we have been such a well-run club why has no buyer come forward?

Yes he is asking for a high price but he is also very picky on who to sell to. He won't sell to any dodgy consortium or to meddlers like Carson Yeung.

I hope you're using a positive inflection on that, I find it refreshing that he's holding out for the right person, otherwise he might as well just sit there and steer the ship. If it so happens that this ship's natural level is league 1 then well so be it and we'll have to live with it.

467 posts