Gylfi is leaving Reading

1419 posts
Sir Rodger Doyle

Re: Gylfi is leaving Reading

by Sir Rodger Doyle » 30 Aug 2010 14:54

soggy biscuit
Sir Rodger Doyle Does this not smack of the worst run club in the league?

Just off the top of my head I would say Cardiff, Pompey, Southampton, Man City & Hull are all examples of much worse run clubs

How many of those clubs spent two years in the Prem without spending money. Then sold £25M pounds worth of players only to end up in a worse position than before they went up? The only thing we have done of note since promotion to the prem, is to increase the asset value of the holding company. My son has just come back in, wish me luck!

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 30 Aug 2010 14:54

Before Rodgers resigned, BM wasn't within a million miles of being a manager of a league club at ANY level. He is now the manager of an established Championship side - there is no possibility of him walking away from that and back to total anonymity.

I do have some sympathy with him though, he worked a miracle last year and has now had the rug pulled out from under him this year.

I would, however, expect any player who gets approached to leave though, what the point in staying at a club with no ambition?[/quote]

You don't think he was involved at all in the discussions about Glyfi's new contract, then?[/quote]

Reading dont renegotiate contracts because they want a player to stay and because they value them (that should be the reason)...... they renegotiate contracts with a view to selling the player for a bigger fee than if they let the current one wind down...so cant see why BMc would ever get involved ???, this is about money-making not the player and building for the future...club dont even know the meaning of the word future!

This is no different to the Doyle and Hunt renegotiated contracts, shortly before they were sold for handsome profits...club is a business now and not a football team....expect Kebe, McAnuff and Mills contracts to be renegotiated very soon ...maybe in time for January window!

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 30 Aug 2010 14:55

Sir Rodger Doyle
soggy biscuit

Just off the top of my head I would say Cardiff, Pompey, Southampton, Man City & Hull are all examples of much worse run clubs

How many of those clubs spent two years in the Prem without spending money. Then sold £25M pounds worth of players only to end up in a worse position than before they went up? The only thing we have done of note since promotion to the prem, is to increase the asset value of the holding company. My son has just come back in, wish me luck!

That is a good point. 2 years in the prem, hardly any money spent, then come down sell everybody off, and now in a worse position. We are going backwards

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 30 Aug 2010 14:55

Looks like Gylfi is going to a smaller club than Reading.

...............the club is mockingly called 18.99 € Hoppenheim or simply Hoppenheim since the club's recent success is based on the large amount of money invested by Hopp. The main points of criticism are the club's lack of "tradition" and a proper fan base, as the club is an historically insignificant side from a village of just 3,300 inhabitants.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 30 Aug 2010 14:57

Readingfanman
fozziebear http://www.getbracknell.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2077346_sigurdsson_to_join_tsg_hoffenheim_for_6million £6M thats a good deal

I really think people need to stop quoting £6M. I really can't see how it will be £6M.

We will never know as Chairman likes to keep things like transfer fees out of public domain for his own sniffy reasons! ...nothing like being open and honest about it these days ...it will appear on SSN as "fee undisclosed"...one of the few clubs who feel they have to adopt this secrecy

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 30 Aug 2010 14:57

2 world wars, 1 world cup If not it is clear the contract was just a way of making sure we get more money for him, with no intention of reinvesting.

So, it would have been better business to have no guarantee even of this much cash? Didn't his contract have only a year left to run? Without the new contract, we'd almost certainly have sold him for a couple of million to the first Prem team that bidded on hm this summer, rather than risk losing him to a free at the end of the year - he'd have been able to sign a pre-contract with Hoffenheim or other European teams in January if his contract was running out next summer.

Gylfi's the most exciting player we've had for ages, but he has still only had one full season, and that at second tier level. This is pretty good money for a relatively raw kid. And anyone who doesn't think that we will continue to be a selling club for the foreseeable future is deluding themselves.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 30 Aug 2010 14:58

soggy biscuit

And of those in our league, I'd imagine only 1 of 3 will finish below us this season. Isn't it galling?

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 30 Aug 2010 15:00

rabidbee
2 world wars, 1 world cup If not it is clear the contract was just a way of making sure we get more money for him, with no intention of reinvesting.

So, it would have been better business to have no guarantee even of this much cash? Didn't his contract have only a year left to run? Without the new contract, we'd almost certainly have sold him for a couple of million to the first Prem team that bidded on hm this summer, rather than risk losing him to a free at the end of the year - he'd have been able to sign a pre-contract with Hoffenheim or other European teams in January if his contract was running out next summer.

Gylfi's the most exciting player we've had for ages, but he has still only had one full season, and that at second tier level. This is pretty good money for a relatively raw kid. And anyone who doesn't think that we will continue to be a selling club for the foreseeable future is deluding themselves.

Hey, there's no room for sensible comments here. Move along please.

Adz1871

by Adz1871 » 30 Aug 2010 15:01

RobRoyal
soggy biscuit

And of those in our league, I'd imagine only 1 of 3 will finish below us this season. Isn't it galling?

You'd be lucky if one of them finish below us. It doesn't look too positive atm. :|

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 30 Aug 2010 15:02

Row Z Royal Hey, there's no room for sensible comments here. Move along please.

fair enough, I'm off to watch Bath City.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 30 Aug 2010 15:02

LoyalRoyal22 The supporters are the most important people at a club, why are they not officially announcing that they have accepted a bid for our best player!!!??? And we want to no how much ovb!!!

Still no news from the club!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 30 Aug 2010 15:04

The fee is £5.5 million.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 30 Aug 2010 15:05

Row Z Royal
rabidbee

Hey, there's no room for sensible comments here. Move along please.

Surely his stock would have been even higher in the summer though? Or even Jan?

I think everyone's main gripe is tlhat we all know nothing will be re-invested. AGAIN. Can someone please explain where the goals are coming from? I can't see Hunt, Church & Long even mamaging 20 goals between them. Unless we're now relying on Mills to bag 15 goals a season...

The situation is a bloody joke. Our defence is leaky as hell & we lack any potency up front. Will be amazed if we finish any higher than about 14-15th this season. Good progress John. Sterling work!

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 30 Aug 2010 15:05

Sarah Star
jonboy29red so if hunty is saying he is sad to see him go then its done deal

Unless he's just read the same headlines as the rest of us.

Probably tight arsed chairman hcalled the squad together to tell them the news but also to say " this shows my personal ambition to get this club back into the premiership...and questions? " !!!

Elliott

by Elliott » 30 Aug 2010 15:05

It seems now that Premier League clubs are starting to regret not going in sooner. I think it's a bit late for that! Quote from the Liverpool forum:

Just seen Hoffenheim have enquired about him and honestly, I feel were missing something here, this could be another Adam Johnson esque signing in the aspect that everybody knows he is a quality Championship player but no one is willing to take a punt on him, he goes to a decent team (Hoffenheim) and shines, then everyone regrets not going for him!

I feel we are lacking abit in the goalscoring midfield area, with only Gerrard really able to do it well, and this guy scores alot of goals from midfield, honestly feel we should sign him. He is young at 20 years old, and has been at Reading since 16 meaning he would also count as a homegrown player.

Anyone else think were missing out on a really good player? Wouldn't even cost that much either.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 30 Aug 2010 15:06

Who is there on market to buy anyway? That's providing Madejski gives us 2 mil at most to spend.

Dickie's Spear

by Dickie's Spear » 30 Aug 2010 15:07

Sounds like Sig's going? To the Gretna of Germany then.

URZZ
Hob Nob Regular

by URZZ » 30 Aug 2010 15:09

Dickie's Spear Sounds like Sig's going?

Would look that way wouldn't it.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 30 Aug 2010 15:10

they better not put the fee as undisclosed

joe999