Shane Long

1472 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Shane Long

by Snowball » 21 Feb 2009 11:01

Gordons Cumming Whatever................

If we get promoted Shane will be gone.

You might be right, and he will then become a top player elsewhere

I go on record as saying if he leaves Reading and avoids a serious injury he will score

10 Premiership goals
or
20 Championship goals
or
30 League One goals

in a season.

It's totally understandable that he doesn't shift Doyle or Hunt from their top-two striker positions
but I think if he had an extended run in a championship side he would be a decent striker

You may now take the p!ss, as is your wont. A few morons will say he has had an extended run, but he hasn't.

I think the best he's had is 3-4 games

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 21 Feb 2009 11:38

Snowball, you once again contradict your own principles.

You have ignored cup games in team runs you say because those teams are weakened - that would suggest that Henry faces a tougher job scoring in these matches, as he is playing in a relatively weak side, so ignoring them in individual players records makes no sense.

And ignoring Henry's goals for loan clubs is something you do for convenience, as it suits your argument - the irony being that you then make a comment on what feats you think Shane Long might achieve at another club.

Ultimately, you have, once again, chosen to use the stats that most prove your point. It is absolute fact that in his short career so far, with 9 goals in 27 appearances, Henry's goalscoring record is infinitely superior to that of Shane Long (14 in around 102 games), who like Henry, has had opportunities to play, and score, in cup games. That isn't arguable.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Feb 2009 12:08

cmonurz Snowball, you once again contradict your own principles.

No I have NOT. I made a decision Day One to deal only with Reading in the League and I've stuck with it.

You have ignored cup games in team runs you say because those teams are weakened -
that would suggest that Henry faces a tougher job scoring in these matches, as he is
playing in a relatively weak side, so ignoring them in individual players records makes no sense.

It makes PERFECT sense. I am ONLY INTERESTED in League performances
and League goals because SSC is reasonably consistent with teams and intent

You are full of sh!t, BTW... There above you're arguing that READING field a weaker side
but YOU POSTED ABOUT SWANSEA FIELDING A WEAKENED SIDE when they won (even
though you knew they'd played their best eleven in other cup games) and then you
and others say "Cup games are meaningless stats, because, for example, Hull made
eight changes to their cup team at Swansea."

I do my READING analysis ONLY on League games. That is totally fair.

If Henry had scored 3 league goals and Long 28 in Cup games I would
still apply my rules that I fixed in my head day one.

If Coppell announced next season that he was going to field his best sides
whenever possible, THEN I'd include cup games

And ignoring Henry's goals for loan clubs is something you do for convenience, as it suits your argument -
the irony being that you then make a comment on what feats you think Shane Long might achieve at another club.

It has NOTHING to do with suiting an argument.
I have been consistent since Day One on this and will continue to do so.

I am UTTERLY disinterested in whether Henry scores a blinder for a League One side
when it comes to SCORING FOR US IN THE LEAGUE.

Lita scores for other teams, then promptly fails to do so for us.
He cost us a point at Swansea IMO and two more against Preston
and he has scored two meaningless goals FOR READING, IN THE LEAGUE
in almost two seasons. 15 Starts plus 7 sub appearances = 2 goals.

If he starts today he'll probably score, but his stats for two seasons TO DATE suck.

Ultimately, you have, once again, chosen to use the stats that most prove your point.

No, in this case I have been totally consistent

I have said I will only consider LEAGUE goals and appearance for READING

and I have never wavered from that stance.

Just as an aside, Newport County had a player, Charlie Griffin, barely scored for NCAFC
but he went to a higher league (Salisbury) and became their top scorer.

What do I care? I care about what he scores for Newport, not Salisbury.

Ditto Lita at Charlton or Norwich, Mooney at Stockport, Henry at Millwall etc. So what?

They get experience, but then they have to do it FOR US in the league.

Lita hasn't for two years

Henry hasn't (yet)

It is absolute fact that in his short career so far, with 9 goals in 27 appearances,
Henry's goalscoring record is infinitely superior to that of Shane Long (14 in around 102 games),
who like Henry, has had opportunities to play, and score, in cup games. That isn't arguable.
[/quote]

Yet Coppell doesn't think he should be playing
Yet Coppell doesn't even keep him for cover for Kebe

Maybe because Coppell thinks he can't cut it (YET) IN THE LEAGUE for READING.

Or maybe you know more than Coppell?

Of course its f-cking arguable.

I repeat. I do not give a flying monkey's f--- what loan players do at other clubs or in the cup

I ONLY care about what they do FOR US, IN THE LEAGUE

Why can't you get that into your head?
Last edited by Snowball on 21 Feb 2009 12:12, edited 1 time in total.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 21 Feb 2009 12:10

:lol:

You are a joke.

Not only confused and wound up in your stats, twisting arguments others put forward to you, but starting to come across as fairly arrogant too.

You question Coppell's decision not to play Long, since he has such an 'amazing' goal-scoring record, yet you tell me Coppell knows what he is doing with Henry.

At least we agree on one thing - that your throw-away comment regarding goals Long might score for other clubs is complete and utterly irrelevant.

I'm out of this one too. Have fun.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 21 Feb 2009 12:17

cmonurz Not only confused and wound up in your stats, twisting arguments others put forward to you, but starting to come across as fairly arrogant too.

It's a problem I have arguing with twits

cmonurz You question Coppell's decision not to play Long, since he has such an 'amazing' goal-scoring record, yet you tell me Coppell knows what he is doing with Henry.

You are AN IDIOT.

I have NOT "questioned Coppell's decision not to play Long". Not ONCE

I HAVE, however publicly stated that I think Doyle-Hunt are the best two and should start every game.

I actually said that again, this morning, Sweetness, get someone to read it to you

You are so full of red-mist you are now making it up.

What I have questioned is the rabid down on Long that is prevalent on the boards, when his goals-per minute are top-notch.

I'm out of this one too. Have fun.

Which thread will you stalk me in next, I wonder?

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 21 Feb 2009 12:22

Snowball You are AN IDIOT.

There's no need for name-calling now, is there Snowball?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 21 Feb 2009 12:26

Snowball Logic:

Long - 11 goals for Reading

Federici - 1 goal for Reading

Torres - 0 goals for Reading

Therefore, Long > Federici > Torres

Laughable.

Cox has proven himself elsewhere, Henry is proving himself elsewhere, Long hasn't proved he can score on a regular basis anywhere.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Mar 2009 02:36

Long comes on at Sheffield and gets the winner!

Long kicks off the line to protect the 2-1 in the last minute.

The boy has done brilliantly. Got us two points there.

Against Norwich, we couldn't score. Long came on in 82nd minute, won a penalty two minutes later and we score. Then he scores a header. Got us two points there.

Long got us the equaliser at Saints. Got us onepoint there.

Long got the assist for Cisse's goal at Wolverhampton, which might yet be the difference between Wolves/reading at the end of the season

He has only started three games, wasn't even on the bench for the last two home defeats, but comes back in and scores withing minutes. AGAIN!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 04 Mar 2009 02:40

Coppell

And on Shane Long's thrilling impact from the bench..."He is a good player, and in many ways, for a couple of years now, we have wanted to give him a real run in the team.

"But we're blessed with some good forwards and Shane is the best impact substitute I've got.

"He wouldn't be happy to hear me say that, bur we know that when he comes on something is going to happen.

"He contributed largely today even though he wasn't on the pitch for any length ot time."

His contribution was the winning goal scored in the 81st minute of the match. "It was set up really nicely with a great pass out wide," Coppell commentated.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 04 Mar 2009 02:51

Good to see that happen last night. A well taken good old fashioned blast at goal. Sent us all bleeding mental it did. :lol:

Scrappy

by Scrappy » 04 Mar 2009 03:07

As soon as it hit 70 mins it was obvious he would come on. He really does do a job for us in the last 20. His youthfullness helps and it showed tonight. We cannot afford not to have him on the bench.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Mar 2009 03:40

But Leroy should have started tonight because he's been our best striker over the last four games.......................not that he scored any goals, no one did...............but he failed to score better than the rest of the team..................and that includes Federici.

God knows where that puts Shane in the pecking order..................not as good as Leroy, though, obviously.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 04 Mar 2009 03:46

I. LOVE. SHANE. LONG.

True Story.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 04 Mar 2009 09:21

Did all the "Well done Shane" threads get deleted?

Dennis the Butler
Location: Wallowing in the Premiership glory ... oh bollox !!

by Dennis the Butler » 04 Mar 2009 09:31

Good man ... shove it up ur arse all those who knock the guy ... :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 04 Mar 2009 09:33

Well done Shane, you did exactly what your good at doing, coming on for 10-15 minutes and making a difference.

He has a role in the squad and performs it pretty well...he's still not a good enough all round player to play week in week out or to make much of an impact over 90 minutes, but he's a valuable player to have on the bench.

Lets see how long this supposed new improved Lita lasts now he's back to not even getting on the bench.

Coppell tried to bend over backwards to accomodate him but he soon realised he was right all along and he's not what he was looking for. Shame he didn't take some action during the transfer window to cover for this though!

Well done Shane!

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Mar 2009 09:34

stick that in your pipes doom mongers and nay sayers!

LOL

shlong is king

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 04 Mar 2009 09:37

There's only one Shane Long 8)

He can have another decent cameo on saturday!!

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 04 Mar 2009 09:38

Woodcote Royal But Leroy should have started tonight because he's been our best striker over the last four games.......................not that he scored any goals, no one did...............but he failed to score better than the rest of the team..................and that includes Federici.

God knows where that puts Shane in the pecking order..................not as good as Leroy, though, obviously.

I would start leroy as well definately for saturday!!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 Mar 2009 09:44

Am I happy that he came on and did well last night, yes.

Does it change my opinion that he will always be just a sub at best for us and for us to truly progress we need better than him in the squad, no. Though, I honestly hope he continues to have a positive impact for the rest of season

Will I be delighted if he turns round and stuffs my opinion down my throat and goes on to be a truly great player for us - oh hell yeah.

1472 posts