CONFRIMED: Takeover collapsed; Back to square one

5343 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: TAKEOVER MIGHT OR MIGHT NOT BE CONFIMRED THIS WEEK OR NEXT

by Stranded » 29 Aug 2024 08:58

Snowflake Royal
Stranded Fair to say that unless we have the loan deals ready to go, if the takeover doesn't complete today we are very unlikely to be bringing anyone in this window.

In the grand scheme of things, that literally matters not one jot if the takeover goes through though - it just means the target for the squad and management would be to try and be competitive until January and strengthen then. If possible, and there are decent options, bring in 2 or 3 free agents that will give us extra bodies in the squad.

TBH, I almost think the free agents is a better route for us.

Loanees are going to be young and full of potential, but no experience. Our squad is chock full of that. Free agents are more likely to be aging, struggling with fitness and on a downward spiral, but they will have experience usually. Avoid committing big wages or long contracts and they're probably a better bet. And less pressure to play them if they end up not good enough/not needed than PL protostarlets

Yeah, can see logic there but as we play a high press, high intensity game, younger legs may be better but if the free agents we get have been training on say the PFA thing, they may be fit enough.

Ideal would be a couple of loans with 1 or 2 free agent signing potentially on deals just until January which can then either be extended or replaced when we have a little more freedom.

This is all of course assuming the takeover happens.

traff

by traff » 29 Aug 2024 09:01

"Then put your little hand in mine
There ain't no hill or mountain we can't climb
Babe
I got you babe
I got you babe"

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Aug 2024 09:08

Stranded
Snowflake Royal
Stranded Fair to say that unless we have the loan deals ready to go, if the takeover doesn't complete today we are very unlikely to be bringing anyone in this window.

In the grand scheme of things, that literally matters not one jot if the takeover goes through though - it just means the target for the squad and management would be to try and be competitive until January and strengthen then. If possible, and there are decent options, bring in 2 or 3 free agents that will give us extra bodies in the squad.

Loanees are going to be young and full of potential, but no experience. Our squad is chock full of that. Free agents are more likely to be aging, struggling with fitness and on a downward spiral, but they will have experience usually. Avoid committing big wages or long contracts and they're probably a better bet. And less pressure to play them if they end up not good enough/not needed than PL protostarlets

Yeah, can see logic there but as we play a high press, high intensity game, younger legs may be better but if the free agents we get have been training on say the PFA thing, they may be fit enough.

Ideal would be a couple of loans with 1 or 2 free agent signing potentially on deals just until January which can then either be extended or replaced when we have a little more freedom.

This is all of course assuming the takeover happens.

I agree free agents with experience are more suited to what we need. We have 14 - 15 players good enough and fit enough to play how Selles wants and challenge in the top half, we need extra bodies who can be a squad option and bring a bit of game management. If they are absolutely shagged after 70 minutes of pressing that's fine; they won't be playing 90 minutes every week. Better than bringing in youngsters who are slightly ahead of our own academy kids but not completely ready.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 29 Aug 2024 09:36

Snowflake Royal

A one year deal for free agents may not be the worst idea. The only issue is most of the remaining free agents are likely not being picked up because their wage demands are too high for their current ability or (as you point out) they're a massive injury risk.

That said, getting someone like Martyn Waghorn, Dwight Gayle or Scott Hogan in as a back up to Sam Smith until the end of the season (or even until January), for example, would likely be worthwhile as a solution to get through this season.

Depending on when something like that happens, that could also open up the possibility of one of our younger players going out on loan to League Two (ideally) to get experience ahead of them being regularly involved next season.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 29 Aug 2024 11:01

If you are a free agent and a L1 club the size of ours come in you’d be a brave player to turn it down.

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 29 Aug 2024 11:29

Close to London, recently in the Premier League, a great stadium and training facilities, well-connected by road and trains and not too far from Heathrow Airport, it has always been easy to see the upside with Reading FC.

For the last year or so, the Royals have been up there with Everton as a club that investors felt was teeming with potential but with financials that made you break out in a cold sweat, with any realistic deal incredibly difficult to envisage.

Even with five or six Championship clubs formally on the market, this League 1 basketcase still somehow seemed more appealing if there was a deal to be done.
After a few false starts, those close to the Reading takeover do - finally - expect it to happen fairly soon. Possibly within the next few days.

The up-and-down nature (to put it mildly) of this takeover has been hard for fans to cope with and is taking its toll on unpopular owner Dai Yongge too, who was miffed in recent weeks at a Rob Couhig tweet that he felt suggested Couhig had bought the club when there is still no signed purchase agreement. This week has been a down week, for those following.

There had been some optimism that Couhig’s purchase of the club would close before the first home game of the season, a win over Wigan Athletic, but further delays came as a result of issues around the stadium and the hotel attached to it and there is still no white (and blue) smoke in Berkshire.

Dai was still demanding £30m for the club in the spring but we understand the final price after all the relevant deductions (including loans that have kept the club running) will be closer to £14m.

For all those who looked at the books and didn’t take a punt on Reading, the Royals will be a club whose progress they closely follow over the coming years.

https://footbiz.beehiiv.com/p/welcome-footbiz-newsletter-1

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Aug 2024 11:38

Jamie Hodder over on that there X posting that a statment of some description may be released at noon.

If so, it'll either be:

a) its done
b) please bear with us
c) its fallen through

My guess is probably b.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Aug 2024 11:48

Stranded Jamie Hodder over on that there X posting that a statment of some description may be released at noon.

If so, it'll either be:

a) its done
b) please bear with us
c) its fallen through

My guess is probably b.

Also pre match press conf later....maybe Bowen will be there.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 29 Aug 2024 11:53

Stranded Jamie Hodder over on that there X posting that a statment of some description may be released at noon.

If so, it'll either be:

a) its done
b) please bear with us
c) its fallen through

My guess is probably b.

or d) a completely unrelated statement.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 29 Aug 2024 11:59

Clyde1998

If so, it'll either be:

a) its done
b) please bear with us
c) its fallen through

My guess is probably b.

or d) a completely unrelated statement.

Carabao Drinks Ad.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Aug 2024 12:01

Twitter going mad - all the ITK's out in force....

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 29 Aug 2024 12:02

That went well.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 29 Aug 2024 12:05

There was an announcement half an hour ago re some new players for the women...maybe that was it....

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 29 Aug 2024 12:18

Mid Sussex Royal Twitter going mad - all the ITK's out in force....

Some things never change.

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 29 Aug 2024 13:26

In fairness to the ITKs, 2 weeks ago the guys who are literally trying to buy the club and should know all the details got it wrong too. Just shows what a dodgy seller they're dealing with.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 29 Aug 2024 14:31

Twitter now claiming the deal is complete, but Dai's ill. :lol:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 29 Aug 2024 14:37

I'm ITK, but my lips are sealed.

Hope that helps.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 29 Aug 2024 14:40

Clyde1998 Twitter now claiming the deal is complete, but Dai's ill. :lol:

Given Couhig's confidence after the Wigan, the hold up being something like trying to get the right people in the right place to conclude the deal seems, to me at least, the most likely reason. Not the Azeez transfer, the hotel, the car park, or just Dai's wish to punish the fans for being horrid to him.

So, may I ask everyone to join me in wishing Mr. Dai a speedy recovery so he can get on with it.

Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

by Orion1871 » 29 Aug 2024 14:49

Clyde1998 Twitter now claiming the deal is complete, but Dai's ill. :lol:

I'm sure he'll make a miraculous recovery at about 23.00.01 on tomorrow evening.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 29 Aug 2024 14:51

Millsy I'm ITK, but my lips are sealed.

Hope that helps.

In The Kitchen?

5343 posts