Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

723 posts
joe999

Re: Mcd says we haven't got any cash....

by joe999 » 20 Aug 2010 17:48

I really dont get this argument of "SJM doesnt have loads of money waiting to be spent"
"It's SJM's money, let him do what he wants with it"

I agree with you that someone should be allowed to do what they want with their money. If I was a millionaire would I want to be spending it on the services of footballers? No, I wouldnt. But if I didn't, I wouldn't be a running a football club.... unfortunately, it's all about the money now, sad as that may be.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 20 Aug 2010 17:53

but whats the alternative?

i dont have the cash.do you?
can you actualy envisage anyone wanting to pour millions down drains just for the honour of running RFC?
millionaires generally dont do that sort of thing, without wanting more than they put in , back out at the end.

and it basically serves all the nobs who booood madejski and sang "wheres all the money gone" at him right, tbf

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 20 Aug 2010 18:43

RFC have basically forgotten that they are in the sports entertainment business, and just about every RFC supporter I know - and I know a fair few - is increasingly disheartened at seeing player after player leave the club in exchange for a solid right back who is getting on in years and a fat left back from Scunthorpe. No ambition is being shown by the club, there is no 'feel good factor' about the place and I suspect that a good many supporters will begin to drift away.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 20 Aug 2010 19:55

^ There is a danger of that happening.
What I don't understand is that in January there was money available to bring in Kish and Griffin on loan. Since then we have had a cracking Cup run and off-loaded a fair few more players than we have bought in. I can't see why there are no funds to bring in Kish on loan. Poor stuff.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 20 Aug 2010 20:00

Because there is a £4m gap to be bridged.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 20 Aug 2010 20:08

Terminal Boardom Because there is a £4m gap to be bridged.

That gap would have existed in January as well. Besides that gap should be well on the way to being bridged with the savings on wages re Cisse, Matejovsky, Rasiak, Henry and others off-loaded earlier in the summer.

rob the royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rob the royal » 20 Aug 2010 20:28

joe999 I really dont get this argument of "SJM doesnt have loads of money waiting to be spent"
"It's SJM's money, let him do what he wants with it"

I agree with you that someone should be allowed to do what they want with their money. If I was a millionaire would I want to be spending it on the services of footballers? No, I wouldnt. But if I didn't, I wouldn't be a running a football club.... unfortunately, it's all about the money now, sad as that may be.

I do agree with you and that's why even when we got to the Premiership I was always convinced the club was unlikely to ever really get anywhere under his stewardship and here we are now worrying about the future of the club.

I do appreciate what he's done for the club and the fact that the club has no massive debts and a great Academy, having said that the papers said Carson Yeung was interested in Reading before he looked at Birmingham but then Hammond went around spouting that 120million was too low because we had the potential to be bigger than Arsenal - some papers even said he made an offer but it was rejected - if that's true I wish he'd accepted - and I bet he does now as well.

The only solution is to find that king of buyer or even better someone who is prepared to waste money just to see a football team succeed and for the kudos and so on. It's unlikely.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 20 Aug 2010 21:57

The tone of the interview which we have to remember is on the OS seems worrying and I reckon McD is p1ssed off.

Why cannot we get players on loan as other skint championship clubs have when prem clubs will pay at least 50% of wages???

I reckon SJM has budgeted on a certain amount of transfer fees in this summer and we are nowhere near it.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 20 Aug 2010 22:03

rob the royal
I do agree with you and that's why even when we got to the Premiership I was always convinced the club was unlikely to ever really get anywhere under his stewardship and here we are now worrying about the future of the club.

That is perhaps the most inadvertently funny statement ever made on HNA !!!!

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 20 Aug 2010 22:39

PEARCEY
Terminal Boardom Because there is a £4m gap to be bridged.

That gap would have existed in January as well. Besides that gap should be well on the way to being bridged with the savings on wages re Cisse, Matejovsky, Rasiak, Henry and others off-loaded earlier in the summer.

No, in January we still had the parachute payments - are you completely deaf to reality?

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 20 Aug 2010 23:45

floyd__streete RFC have basically forgotten that they are in the sports entertainment business, and just about every RFC supporter I know - and I know a fair few - is increasingly disheartened at seeing player after player leave the club in exchange for a solid right back who is getting on in years and a fat left back from Scunthorpe. No ambition is being shown by the club, there is no 'feel good factor' about the place and I suspect that a good many supporters will begin to drift away.

If you want "sports entertainment" where the outcome is fixed go and watch wrestling. No one in football can predict what is going to happen at the end of the Championship season two games in, they can barely predict it on the last weekend.

As for player after player leaving who has left who has made a significant impact as a first team regular? Cisse - solid, Matejovsky - flattered to deceive, Rasiak - derided by fans, Henry - needed to move on for his career. I'd have only kept Henry out of those players because he was the only one with his whole career ahead of him.

The whole of football is feeling the pinch because of the recession. Until any of the egos critics can categorically prove something nefarious has happened to the money from the Premier League years and the sales of players since then, I suggest they keep it shut.
Last edited by sandman on 21 Aug 2010 00:11, edited 1 time in total.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 20 Aug 2010 23:59

feel good factor has gone?

2 league games into the season?

Blimey.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 21 Aug 2010 07:56

Sun Tzu
rob the royal

That is perhaps the most inadvertently funny statement ever made on HNA !!!!

"What have the Romans ever done for us?????"

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Aug 2010 08:38

sandman
floyd__streete RFC have basically forgotten that they are in the sports entertainment business, and just about every RFC supporter I know - and I know a fair few - is increasingly disheartened at seeing player after player leave the club in exchange for a solid right back who is getting on in years and a fat left back from Scunthorpe. No ambition is being shown by the club, there is no 'feel good factor' about the place and I suspect that a good many supporters will begin to drift away.

If you want "sports entertainment" where the outcome is fixed go and watch wrestling. No one in football can predict what is going to happen at the end of the Championship season two games in, they can barely predict it on the last weekend.

As for player after player leaving who has left who has made a significant impact as a first team regular? Cisse - solid, Matejovsky - flattered to deceive, Rasiak - derided by fans, Henry - needed to move on for his career. I'd have only kept Henry out of those players because he was the only one with his whole career ahead of him.

The whole of football is feeling the pinch because of the recession. Until any of the egos critics can categorically prove something nefarious has happened to the money from the Premier League years and the sales of players since then, I suggest they keep it shut.

Why?

He was happy to stand inviting/reaping the applause when things were going well and it appears he still likes the attention that comes with having your own football club. It's time he realises that things like that don't come for free. If he doesn't offer supporters something to get excited about and to look forward to then he deserves the same stick that any other chairman would get. If he can't stand that heat then the sooner he rushes for the kitchen door the better.

Mid Sussex Royal The tone of the interview which we have to remember is on the OS seems worrying and I reckon McD is p1ssed off.

The fact that it is the OS doing the 'interrogation' is what is so strange/alarming. Seems a bit like an interview conducted by a state-controlled tv station back in the days of the iron curtain, making sure that the puppet clearly states the official party line. Why were the OS so keen to highlight this ahead of the independent media asking similar questions?

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 21 Aug 2010 09:49

Sounds like the budgeting was badly set if there was a £4m shortfall at the start of the season. Knowing that the parachute payments were over the club must have had a long term objective to try to balance the books.

Still only a couple of weeks till the transfer window closes and we see what we have for the season.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 21 Aug 2010 10:05

RoyalBlue
He was happy to stand inviting/reaping the applause when things were going well and it appears he still likes the attention that comes with having your own football club. It's time he realises that things like that don't come for free. If he doesn't offer supporters something to get excited about and to look forward to then he deserves the same stick that any other chairman would get. If he can't stand that heat then the sooner he rushes for the kitchen door the better.

If supporters can't get excited by the thing most people have been demanding for years (a flow of talented, home produced, local kids in the first team) then I suspect what we have in part are the usual boring suspects simply wanting to find things to moan about.....

I's also suggest SJM knows very well that success doesn't come twice for free (we pretty much got it for a bargain basement price the first time round) but I still can't quite get why it's down to him to chuck the cash in to gamble on more 'success'. For year's we've known the financial basis on which the club is run but some people still want us to compete financially int he mad world of football finance, and have cheap tickets, and deliver the moon on a stick !

I'm also confused by Floyd's comment about the club forgetting about 'entertainment'. The football we get now is a dman sight more entertaining than it has been for most of the year's I've watched the club. Floyd obvioulsy equates entertainment with 'being in the Premer league', an elemental mistake !!

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 21 Aug 2010 10:27

TBF it was no entertainment at Torquay matey.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 21 Aug 2010 10:34

His Madj did gamble to get into the prem first time, then he got scared of the cost of staying there and we've been trying to balance the books ever since.

He's also been trying to sell the club for ages, so why should he be pumping his money in, particularly when he's losing millions on his property development.

Like it or not, we''ll be playing the products of the academy. That's what it's there for.

under the tin

by under the tin » 21 Aug 2010 10:50

Sun Tzu
If supporters can't get excited by the thing most people have been demanding for years

(a flow of talented, home produced, local kids in the first team)
No problem with that. It's the thought of selling the best of them off, and using the other young players we have instead, who are not quite as good.
I would suggest that this will inevitably give us a team that are "not quite as good" as well.
I'm ok with that, as long as the club remains competitive in the Championship.
Being such a tight league, the margins between staying in it (either going up, or down) are much smaller than anywhere else.
I couldn't care less about the Premier League. What worries me are the consequences, were we to find ourselves back in League 1.
Our chairman will certainly revert to type, budgets will be cut even further, our academy will have a lower currency because of our status, so we will not be attracting the next Gylfi.
In short, the club's slide backwards will accelerate, and it's a bloody long hard road back, with a chairman unwilling to invest.
The Darlington of league 1. Bloody great big stadium, Cr@p team. Empty seats.

then I suspect what we have in part are the usual boring suspects simply wanting to find things to moan about.....

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 21 Aug 2010 11:28

PieEater His Madj did gamble to get into the prem first time, then he got scared of the cost of staying there and we've been trying to balance the books ever since.

He's also been trying to sell the club for ages, so why should he be pumping his money in, particularly when he's losing millions on his property development.

Like it or not, we''ll be playing the products of the academy. That's what it's there for.

Of course it's there to provide some 'home grown' players but I doubt any football club (bar Madejski FC) expects to try to mount an effective promotion push with such a high proportion of relatively newly blooded academy products.

If we really are going to become a Crewe - producing lots of good youngsters, playing attractive football, selling the youngsters on and never really achieving anything other than day to day survival - then the costs of supporting the club should be adjusted accordingly and Madejski should keep his big gob shut instead of spouting off about PL ambition.

723 posts