CONFIMRED - Sean Morrison signs for Cardiff

597 posts
Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - Sean Morrison signs for Cardiff

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Aug 2014 22:37

Arch
Victor Meldrew ... it is a shame that we now sell 23 year-olds to bring in crocked 29 year-olds which IMHO is no way to build a team for the future.

I feel like you got called on this exact point a few pages back, Victor. We didn't sell Morrison in order to bring in Ferdinand. Evidently the plan was to have both. If anything Ferdinand replaces Gorkss. It may have been better business for Cardiff, but let's get the facts straight.

We don't know whether this has been going on for weeks, just because it now seems to have happened quickly and we may well have got Ferdinand in anticipation of this transfer-the facts that you refer to are unknown.
The net result is that we have a 29 year old who hasn't bothered to try to get himself fit in readiness for the new season and played just 3 games last season in lieu of a 23 year old with his future very much ahead of him.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 15 Aug 2014 22:41

Drew_3
Victor Meldrew This is a fair punt by Cardiff-they sell their centre-back for £8 million and buy another one for £3 million.
We all know that he is not worth that much but to the outside world here is a player with some Premier League experience , who has been captain of his club and called up by Scotland.
This is what parachute payments also come in handy for whereas some other clubs just pocket the parachute money and......do very little to give themselves the chance of getting promotion.

I have no grievance with Morrison-£250,000 to buy, £3,000,000 to sell so he owes us nothing but it is a shame that we now sell 23 year-olds to bring in crocked 29 year-olds which IMHO is no way to build a team for the future.
I would much rather see us buying players from lower levels again, just as Bournemouth have done with the decent prospect Callum Wilson and Huddersfield did last season with Nakhi Wells and as we did previously with Alf and Morrison himself.

Dead-beat older injured players like Ferdinand are not the way forward IMHO but at least with this transfer Hector will get a couple of weeks to prove himself which might not have happened if Morrison were still around.
I wonder if anybody would pay such silly money for Pearce who, IMHO is no better than Morrison but is liked more by the fans because he fist-pumps at the end of games.

Kind of shit on your own parade there. We sold Morrison for a hefty profit because he clearly didn't want to be here and in doing so we now have the opportunity to give a young product of our own academy a go which, as you so rightly pointed out, he wouldn't have got otherwise. To supplement this promotion of youth we have brought in a widely experienced CB for nothing who still has a fair few miles left on the clock.

Personally I prefer this method compared to buying other clubs up and coming young players. The academy costs a lot of money and it needs to produce in order to be worth it, which by the look of things it now is.

Add to that the fact we may still look to recruit the likes of the alfie's and morro's of this world and we look in very good shape indeed.

I think it is a big leap of faith with Ferdinand-I hope you are right with the "fair few miles left on the clock" especially as he has been given a 2-year contract.
I would like to share your optimism about the player but I just don't.
Anyway I really hope that tomorrow is just the start to Hector's career with us as a successful first team centre-back who plays so well that we don't have to turn to a player who was looking to get back into football here but couldn't be arsed to get fit.

Big Tim

Re: Morrison has GONE

by Big Tim » 15 Aug 2014 22:54

Morrison was the weak link in the current team. Fantastic piece of business. Step up Hector and show us what you can really do. Well pleased with this transfer.

If you still hate Futcher

by If you still hate Futcher » 15 Aug 2014 23:01

Simon's Church Can't wait to see who the new scapegoat is when we concede softly tomorrow

If any of the experienced players makes as bad a mistake as Morrison did for Wigan's second then they should accept whatever constructive criticism comes their way. In fact if any of the youngsters make that bad a mistake they should accept it too

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 15 Aug 2014 23:22

Victor Meldrew
Drew_3
Victor Meldrew This is a fair punt by Cardiff-they sell their centre-back for £8 million and buy another one for £3 million.
We all know that he is not worth that much but to the outside world here is a player with some Premier League experience , who has been captain of his club and called up by Scotland.
This is what parachute payments also come in handy for whereas some other clubs just pocket the parachute money and......do very little to give themselves the chance of getting promotion.

I have no grievance with Morrison-£250,000 to buy, £3,000,000 to sell so he owes us nothing but it is a shame that we now sell 23 year-olds to bring in crocked 29 year-olds which IMHO is no way to build a team for the future.
I would much rather see us buying players from lower levels again, just as Bournemouth have done with the decent prospect Callum Wilson and Huddersfield did last season with Nakhi Wells and as we did previously with Alf and Morrison himself.

Dead-beat older injured players like Ferdinand are not the way forward IMHO but at least with this transfer Hector will get a couple of weeks to prove himself which might not have happened if Morrison were still around.
I wonder if anybody would pay such silly money for Pearce who, IMHO is no better than Morrison but is liked more by the fans because he fist-pumps at the end of games.

Kind of shit on your own parade there. We sold Morrison for a hefty profit because he clearly didn't want to be here and in doing so we now have the opportunity to give a young product of our own academy a go which, as you so rightly pointed out, he wouldn't have got otherwise. To supplement this promotion of youth we have brought in a widely experienced CB for nothing who still has a fair few miles left on the clock.

Personally I prefer this method compared to buying other clubs up and coming young players. The academy costs a lot of money and it needs to produce in order to be worth it, which by the look of things it now is.

Add to that the fact we may still look to recruit the likes of the alfie's and morro's of this world and we look in very good shape indeed.

I think it is a big leap of faith with Ferdinand-I hope you are right with the "fair few miles left on the clock" especially as he has been given a 2-year contract.
I would like to share your optimism about the player but I just don't.
Anyway I really hope that tomorrow is just the start to Hector's career with us as a successful first team centre-back who plays so well that we don't have to turn to a player who was looking to get back into football here but couldn't be arsed to get fit.

I think given time Hector can be the CB that can "step out" of defense with the ball and leave Pearce be the "traditional" CB, which is a role he should thrive in given his limited pace and ball playing ability but excellent reading of the game.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 15 Aug 2014 23:37

Victor Meldrew
Royal Rother

Love the way that there's no negative reaction towards Cardiff (selling an excellent player and buying a duff even though you admit said duff is way overpriced) but you find all sorts of angles to criticise Reading...

"Excellent" and "Duff" are yet to be proven and they are £5 million better off.
Anyway what do you know about the Football League, I thought you were all loved up with pub football?.
Oh and, stop stalking me the minute I post anything.

You're as bad as Dodger - you just look for the negative in everything the club does. Most of the time if it's not really there, you'll make it up. Seriously, take a look at the above - every sentence in your post is dripping with disdain for the team you have been watching for the last 50 years. When did you get like this?

Yeah, I do prefer non league football - it has its attractions for sure. If I find myself standing next to some irritating moaner I can always walk around to the other side of the ground.

clauski

by clauski » 16 Aug 2014 01:43

Victor Meldrew
Arch
Victor Meldrew ... it is a shame that we now sell 23 year-olds to bring in crocked 29 year-olds which IMHO is no way to build a team for the future.

I feel like you got called on this exact point a few pages back, Victor. We didn't sell Morrison in order to bring in Ferdinand. Evidently the plan was to have both. If anything Ferdinand replaces Gorkss. It may have been better business for Cardiff, but let's get the facts straight.

We don't know whether this has been going on for weeks, just because it now seems to have happened quickly and we may well have got Ferdinand in anticipation of this transfer-the facts that you refer to are unknown.
The net result is that we have a 29 year old who hasn't bothered to try to get himself fit in readiness for the new season and played just 3 games last season in lieu of a 23 year old with his future very much ahead of him.

And £3m in the bank with 2 weeks left in the transfer window

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 16 Aug 2014 04:20

At least he won't stick out for pissing in the streets in Cardiff. The whole place is one big urinal.

Basingstoke Royal

by Basingstoke Royal » 16 Aug 2014 07:37

Jackson Corner At least he won't stick out for pissing in the streets in Cardiff. The whole place is one big urinal.

I thought it was a shit hole?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 16 Aug 2014 07:51

£3M for Morrison? Thank you very much Cardiff!!!!

I personally never rated the guy, so to get £3M for a player who thinks he is bigger than the club and wanted to leave is excellent business.

To suggest that it somehow puts the club in a bad light a la Victor is ridiculous; would you prefer to keep a player who doesn't want to be at the Club and not have the £3M to spend on new a couple of new players?

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 16 Aug 2014 08:43

Good riddance to the mercenary pube-head.

Whatever the fee, £3m, £4m, £8m (well done Hammo), Swindon are likely to get a chunk.

Still, getting any seven figure sum for a defender whose only standout ability is being quite tall is remarkable.

It reminds me of our scouting policy of two years ago when we signed Akpan and Blackman just after we played them. Any time Ole

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 16 Aug 2014 08:55

He'll piss off when he wants
He's Sean Morrison

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Aug 2014 09:13

chilipepper91 Good riddance to the mercenary pube-head.

Whatever the fee, £3m, £4m, £8m (well done Hammo), Swindon are likely to get a chunk.

Still, getting any seven figure sum for a defender whose only standout ability is being quite tall is remarkable.

It reminds me of our scouting policy of two years ago when we signed Akpan and Blackman just after we played them. Any time Ole

Good use of mercenary pube-head.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 16 Aug 2014 09:14

On one of the Cardiff forum sites they are jokingly calling us their "feeder" club, interesting words, maybe they should ask themselves why we let them have ALF, a bench warmer for the majority of his time here, struggled most times when in the starting XI, and also why we don't appear to have busted our guts begging Morrison to stay ?

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 16 Aug 2014 09:24

I think Morro has the potential to improve his skill but he lacks concentration and that is something he will not be able to work on so easily. The amount of sloppy goals we conceded thanks to him switching off was shocking. It continued again this season with the late goal at Wigan. Goes to show he's lacking in that department.
Also glad we got good money for a player who was crocked for a large part of last season with a knee injury. Expect him to be back in the treatment room again soon with some knock-on injury. At Cardiff's expense! ARF ARF.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 16 Aug 2014 09:25

Its only a good fee if we can use the money. Morrison was a firstchoiice defender and unfortunately £3m in the bank isn't going to help us today

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Aug 2014 09:28

Unless we offer it as a reward to whoever wins the game for us today.

BonBoh

by BonBoh » 16 Aug 2014 09:47

oh, and I forgot to mention that Morro was shocking in front of goal. The amount of good chances he had for a bloke of his size and his conversion rate of about 3% was piss poor to say the least. Goodbye.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 16 Aug 2014 09:57

The type of criticism one of our best young players is getting really makes me laugh. -- You are working at your firm and a rival comes along and says" We think you are really good, we would like you to come and join us. We are a very well off firm with great plans going forward. we can offer you a much better contract and pay. Perhaps you go back to your present boss and ask .. could you match that? No sorry, we can't (or won't). Ah what do I do? Shall I stay and keep those chappies happy in the East stand? Or should I get an improved life style with the possibility of playing premiership football in the near future?

Football is a job for players. They are not our brothers or family! Please just get real!

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 16 Aug 2014 10:07

Cardiff must be up shit creek on FFP. How are they affording this team they're assembling?

597 posts