Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

2091 posts
brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Hard to see any progress for the forseeable future

by brendywendy » 01 Oct 2008 11:08

readingbedding If Coppell's heart wasn't in it, he wouldn't have come back.
He's a professional, one of the best.
Well respected, and we'll miss him when he goes.

ill be inconsolable
the bloke is a little baldy genius
i will enjoy him ramming more words down more throats all season

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 01 Oct 2008 11:15

brendywendy

ill be inconsolable

Whose throats?

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 01 Oct 2008 11:17

brendywendy

ill be inconsolable

I think we would all say amen to that! Last night's performance and result certainly suggests that there are shoots of recovery bursting through the soil. We can only hope that they are not killed off by the January frosts aka the transfer window.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 01 Oct 2008 11:21

Platypuss
Woodcote Royal
Denver Royal LOL at Woodcote and Rother giving it large. As if they have never been wrong. :P

No one gets everything right but it's Schards capacity to defend the defensible that's set him apart from most.

Bugger, that irony meter had only just come back from repair too.

They're unreliable buggers too, you can never get a really clear reading

LOL @ Woodcote blaming Schards for "defending the defensible"

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 01 Oct 2008 11:47

Royal Rother The fact that RFC won will of course totally outweight the facts that Schards will 1. come back to a further ribbing on HNA and 2. see his potential winnings from betting on Reading to go down virtually disappear down the plughole.

Back in the real world, he will of course deny it until he's blue in the face and chuck a few choice insults out, but everyone knows that in some small measure he will not have taken as much pleasure in this marvelous victory as the rest of us, a result of the above factors.

And that's a real shame.

Maybe true, I don't know.

But what is true is that all the fans that saw that game would have taken more pleasure in the impressive performance and result than any other fan who wouldn't or couldn't make it...for whatever reason.

Pleased I was there, and if some fans realised that it wasn't like the play-off semi, perhaps some more would have turned up.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 01 Oct 2008 11:48

A bit of advice dear Spacey-'It is better to be thought a fool than to post on this thread and remove all doubt'. As for Schards, knowing the integrity of the man he is sure to acknowledge he may have got this one slightly wrong.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 01 Oct 2008 11:54

Platypuss
SpaceCruiser on 17th September Schards, I'm very dismissive of your post because of your pathetic misuse of the word "firesale".

Right, that's my final, final post on this thread.

:lol:

Bet he wishes it was, now.

If only you felt the same.......................not that it matters particularly.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 01 Oct 2008 11:58

Riseley A bit of advice dear Spacey-'It is better to be thought a fool than to post on this thread and remove all doubt'. As for Schards, knowing the integrity of the man he is sure to acknowledge he may have got this one slightly wrong.

Until the latter finally lives up to your expectations, slagging off Spacey looks a bit desperate.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 01 Oct 2008 12:02

Uke They're unreliable buggers too, you can never get a really clear reading

Nice pictures any evidence?

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 01 Oct 2008 12:15

Woodcote Royal

"We don't need Sidwell and will do as well if not even better without him this season"

:wink:

Where have you been the last couple of home games btw?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 01 Oct 2008 12:21

I love this thread.

And LOL @ Seb leaping to the defence of his buddy when both of them dish out as much if not more than Spacey.

The rule of HNA: Make a bold, but premature statement that others disagree with and get absolutely panned when the club beat your expectations.

Rother, myself and others got it in the neck when we said we wouldn't go down last season. Schards gets it in the neck for his "no progress" this season. It's not like "officially bored of Leroy" didn't get stalked for months.

Cuts both ways.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 01 Oct 2008 12:34

Mr Angry
Woodcote Royal

"We don't need Sidwell and will do as well if not even better without him this season"

:wink:

Where have you been the last couple of home games btw?

I said Sidwell was replaceable, other rated and not good enough to make an impact at the Bridge......hardly indefensible given his track record since he left.

Work has and will continue to affect my attendance but I remain happy in the knowledge that a substantial @rse cheek in the vicinity will be keeping my seat warm in the interim
:P

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 01 Oct 2008 12:35

i wonder will schards apologise for premature enunciation?

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 01 Oct 2008 12:41

Woodcote Royal
Huntley & Palmer Woodcote just goes to prove with this post, the hugely fickle nature of our support. :lol:

Of course fans are fickle but this thread is about making progress and it's blatently obvious that we've made loads in the last month regardless of what you me or anyone else may have said in the recent past.

If we define progress as a single away win, then God help us. The team looks a little more settled now, which is great. The main problem is that we are only 9 games into the season, so all of this is pretty much older men posturing that should know better

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 01 Oct 2008 13:03

There have been a number of definitions of progress and forseeable progress in this thread.
Is it progress that we have gone from 3rd bottom in The Premiership to 3rd top in The Championship?
Is it progress that we no longer have Kitson,Shorey and Sonko but now have another Hunt,Armstrong and Mooney?
Is it progress that the club no longer receives the full whack in terms of Sky TV money?
Conversely is it progress that we have lower attendances and the players receive lower salaries?
Is it progress that Doyle and Hunt are now shining again after a very poor level of performance earlier this year?
Is it progress that Pearce and Karacan have shown that they can play at this level?

I can't answer these questions and as I see it we won't know if there is any real progress until
(a)The January sales and purchases have been completed
(b)Promotion has or hasn't happened
(c)The club is sold
(d)The manager's future is known

I fully understood where Schards was coming from when posting after the Ipswich game when those of us that went to Portman Road felt totally depressed at being easily beaten by a mid-table side and this followed another poor performance at another moderate side,Charlton.
At that time the future did not look very rosey.
Since then with Bikey bringing solidity at the back we do at least look like a side that might challenge for promotion but IMHO there is no way the challenge would happen if Bikey and Doyle were to leave in January.
So,as I see it,in the very short term of the past couple of weeks we have made progress from a rather low level but January will be the key time to establish the ambition of the club.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 01 Oct 2008 13:22

Huntley & Palmer
Woodcote Royal
Huntley & Palmer Woodcote just goes to prove with this post, the hugely fickle nature of our support. :lol:

Of course fans are fickle but this thread is about making progress and it's blatently obvious that we've made loads in the last month regardless of what you me or anyone else may have said in the recent past.

If we define progress as a single away win, then God help us. The team looks a little more settled now, which is great. The main problem is that we are only 9 games into the season, so all of this is pretty much older men posturing that should know better

It that was the full picture I would agree, but it isn't.

We beat the most successful league team in the land on their own doorstep on the back of 6-0 and 4-0 home victories (and Sheff Wed are now in the play off places :| )

I have no serious issue with the assertion of the original thread title (given where we were at the time) but we have made significant progress since Ipswich, so why deny it?

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 01 Oct 2008 13:28

Huntley & Palmer If we define progress as a single away win,

No. It's not that. We've only lost two games. We're 3rd, scored 23 goals and we're currently on an unbeaten run of 4 games. I'd say that's making progress towards the target of achieving promotion.

Riseley
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Riseley » 01 Oct 2008 14:12

Woodcote Royal
Riseley A bit of advice dear Spacey-'It is better to be thought a fool than to post on this thread and remove all doubt'. As for Schards, knowing the integrity of the man he is sure to acknowledge he may have got this one slightly wrong.

Until the latter finally lives up to your expectations, slagging off Spacey looks a bit desperate.
As a very close friend of Spacey I feel it is my right, nay duty, to point out the error of his ways. Just like you Woodcote, Spacey is a very misunderstood soul and does not take himself too seriously.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 01 Oct 2008 14:54

SpaceCruiser
Huntley & Palmer If we define progress as a single away win,

No. It's not that. We've only lost two games. We're 3rd, scored 23 goals and we're currently on an unbeaten run of 4 games. I'd say that's making progress towards the target of achieving promotion.

Indeed - and God help anyone who feels unable to acknowledge that.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 01 Oct 2008 15:38

Wax Jacket
Maguire 'gree with H+P and readingbedding.

"The Team" board = reactionary nonsense week in, week out.

absolute load of rubbish, 'greed. only worth posting on to poke fun at all the over-serious regulars and their "Reading till I die" mentality. Wherther or not RFC are any good doesn't really depend on whether a guy from Woodcote agrees with a guy from Lower Earley about a bet he's placed.

And with that, back to AE.
Hah! As though all that smug chumminess and snide one-upmanship that passes for conversation on AE is any better. On a Reading FC forum, who could possibly object to RFC fans dishing it back and forth on the merits of their club. AE is for people who think "social networking" is really a form of social networking.

2091 posts