680 posts

who do you want as our next manager?

George Burley, a jock who likes his booze
2%
Darren Ferguson, another jock
27%
Steve Coppell, never go back?
13%
Lawrie Sanchez, no personality/long ball?
2%
Steve Cotterill, another Brenda = talks a good game but little else?
1%
Gareth Southgate, ummm track record?
6%
Alan Curbishley, out of his comfort zone?
29%
Sean O Driscoll, unproven at a big club?
4%
Paul Hart, better as a youth coach?
0%
Glen Hoddle, has the halo lost its glow?
3%
Paul Tisdale, the thinking man's crumpet?
6%
Phil Parkinson, mean, angry but has he the nous?
6%

Total votes: 326
howser
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Next Manager

by howser » 17 Dec 2009 23:51

So we now are going to have the "life of brian" another marvellous comedy to add to, the becoming, endless list of comedies that the egomonster has been the master of over the past couple of years !!
Last edited by howser on 18 Dec 2009 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 18 Dec 2009 01:02

CholseyRoyal There will be no new manager and our squad is too large. That is what I inferred from SJMs interview tonight. It is time for a period of reflection, he said.

So the cloth cutter will be leaving BM in charge, and selling players ?

Sounds like that will be the case from that...

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 18 Dec 2009 07:51

Madejski has written off this season. He probably thinks that we'll scrape survival and that he therefore has half a season before he has to make a decision.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 18 Dec 2009 08:42

CholseyRoyal There will be no new manager and our squad is too large. That is what I inferred from SJMs interview tonight. It is time for a period of reflection, he said.

...and from his interview thats the worrying thing ...the number of times Egoman saying it was time for reflection leads to the feeling that there isnt going to be any new management in the short to medium term, if at all ........whilst McDermott is a highly regarded coach/scout, good coaches hardly ever make good managers ...ala Rodgers for example!

Also recruiting internally will mean just more "Yes" men to join Grapefeeder licking Egomans arse

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 18 Dec 2009 08:50

Just hope all you Rodgers haters are happy now that you have hounded him out of the club.

Looks like Mc Dermott has the job unless he makes a complete mess of it.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... reading_fc

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 18 Dec 2009 08:53

From Interview

Reporter " So Brian McDermott could get the job permanently"?

Egoman "Theres no reason why Brian shouldnt get the job permanently

Either a freudian slip by the great one or it sounds like Egoman has already made his mind up - can see it now at press conference " Brian was by far the most outstanding candidate for the job, and Id like to thank my arse licking DOF Nick Hammond for all the hard work he has put in to get us to th announcement - this shows our ambition to return to the Premier League" zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Fans decide: poll for next manager

by andrew1957 » 18 Dec 2009 08:57

Irrelevant thread as it does not include the name of the stand out candidate - Brian McDermott.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 18 Dec 2009 09:01

andrew1957 Irrelevant thread as it does not include the name of the stand out candidate - Brian McDermott.

You mean the fact that Gus started it didn't give you a wee clue?

Ashfordroyal

by Ashfordroyal » 18 Dec 2009 09:04

Martin Allen was in hospitality against Scunthorpe, just thought i`d mention it.

Einstein agogo
Hob Nob Regular

by Einstein agogo » 18 Dec 2009 09:04

DOYLERSAROYALER From Interview

Either a freudian slip by the great one or it sounds like Egoman has already made his mind up - can see it now at press conference " Brian was by far the most outstanding candidate for the job, and Id like to thank my arse licking DOF Nick Hammond for all the hard work he has put in to get us to th announcement - this shows our ambition to return to the Premier League" zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Brian is a top bloke , top arsenal player and swedish league player in his twilight years , discovered Doyle ! Won the reserve league with a less than average squad , excellent scout , excellent coach , most loyal ( 10 years here - never ever push too move on ) will accept hammond as director ( most managers hate directors of football )
Will get end of season contract... will not do pathetic team choices ( chop and change ) will not do pathetic substitions , will play tactically to our strengths ( 4-4-2 direct , fast and flowing... no long ball , i never saw long ball with the reserves ) this is due to pardew + coppells time here and youth couching... players have faith in him

Ashfordroyal

by Ashfordroyal » 18 Dec 2009 09:06

Ricky Gervais!

rfcjoe
Hob Nob Regular

by rfcjoe » 18 Dec 2009 09:06

Einstein agogo

Brian is a top bloke , top arsenal player and swedish league player in his twilight years , discovered Doyle ! Won the reserve league with a less than average squad , excellent scout , excellent coach , most loyal ( 10 years here - never ever push too move on ) will accept hammond as director ( most managers hate directors of football )
Will get end of season contract... will not do pathetic team choices ( chop and change ) will not do pathetic substitions , will play tactically to our strengths ( 4-4-2 direct , fast and flowing... no long ball , i never saw long ball with the reserves ) this is due to pardew + coppells time here and youth couching... players have faith in him

I did think Pardew and Coppell Setee'ed well aswell

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 18 Dec 2009 09:13

Ashfordroyal Martin Allen was in hospitality against Scunthorpe, just thought i`d mention it.

He would never be considered for the job.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 18 Dec 2009 09:14

Stand out candidate???? Fck off. The only reason he is a candidae is because SJM is such a tight fisted c*nt. Any excuse to not pay anything. Worst thing to happen to this club is give him the job. Will be even darker days than under Burns, Taxi and Rodgers.

C'mon the Bristol City, big win please.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 18 Dec 2009 09:16

andrew1957 Just hope all you Rodgers haters are happy now that you have hounded him out of the club.

:shock:

A bit emotional (and emotive), that. Do you really think the fans had any part to play in his departure? I think we've been remarkably patient and loyal to be honest.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 18 Dec 2009 09:17

Einstein agogo

Yes but he's got no experience of managing in a competitive league - you really can't tell me that anyone except Reading gave a flying oxf*rd about the reserve league. It's like a pre-season friendly - just because we drew 2:2 against Chelsea didn't mean we were as good as Chelsea. As was proven subsequently. I'd say that we've just had the 'inexperienced manager, who did well with the reserves' experiment and it's shown that it didn't work. I think we now need the 'experienced manager who has survived a relegation dogfight in the past' option to survive in this league.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 18 Dec 2009 09:29

I think you lot are looking too much into it. Whenever there is a managerial change they have always said 'it won't be a kneejerk reaction' they always take their time over it,we had to wait 3/4weeks for Coppell. It will be the same this time, he's said there's been lots of interest but right now and for the immediate future McDermott is looking after the team. Of course if he does well in the coming period,then why shouldn't he be looked at as a candidate?

It was the same when Dillon took over, he didn't get many results ad behind the scenes they were after a manager. The same will happen now.

Ryn

by Ryn » 18 Dec 2009 09:47

Agreed AP. Just let McD look after the boys on Saturday against Brizzle, so we can have time to interview all of the candidates for the job and find out who is willing to work for what, and with what.

Take time to employ the right man for the job please Reading, hopefully we can learn from our mistake with Rodgers to get in someone with a bit of steel and experience to lift this club away from relegation.

McD can do a good enough job for a few games, so there's no need to panic.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 18 Dec 2009 09:48

This mornings odds

Darren Ferguson 11/8
Brian McDermott 6/4
Steve Coppell 16
Iain Dowie 16

Dorset-Knob

by Dorset-Knob » 18 Dec 2009 09:49

andrew1957 Just hope all you Rodgers haters are happy now that you have hounded him out of the club.

Looks like Mc Dermott has the job unless he makes a complete mess of it.

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/footb ... reading_fc

Up until now I'd always hoped against expectation that BR would succeed, he didn't and no amount of extra time would have compensated for the recent results and baffling team selections.

These are facts and not speculation and if BR couldn't stand the minimal amount of "Hounding" he received I'm glad we found out now and not when the chips are really down!

Perhaps we can finally nail the other lie about "poisoned chalices" now we know there are a shed load of unsolicited applications for a "Job" that so far hasn't even been advertised!

Some poisoned chalice it must be eh?

BM will do well just to steady the ship and stick to basics, we don't need miracles, consistent, recognisable tactics and effort would probably suffice just now!

680 posts