Wigan (a) match thread sponsored by northern soul forever

502 posts
Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Wigan (a) match thread sponsored by northern soul foreve

by Gordons Cumming » 26 Nov 2012 13:27

Did anyone spot the obstruction by a Wigan player on Ledge as he was running back to tackle Gomez for the 3rd Wigan goal?

Not sure if he would have caught Gomez.........but maybe. :cry:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Wigan (a) match thread sponsored by northern soul foreve

by Ian Royal » 26 Nov 2012 17:34

I'm wondering whether we actually just got done by an unusual and innovative formation that far better teams have been found out by previously and will again. Beausejour was in so much space so often that I think it may have been a tactical blunder combined with Jobi playing on the wrong side.

Gunter was tucked in so much I wonder if that was deliberate to try and prevent them overloading the centre 3 on 2. And as badly as Gunter played, Jobi really didn't help him out a lot, which is unusual because he usually does quite a lot of good defensive work on the left.

It might not be quite as bad as it looked. McDermott's probably never dealt with a set up like that before and he'll only face it once more this season. Yes, if that was the problem its a big tactical failing on his part and the part of the coaches and scouts. But it doesn't necessarily bode badly for the likes of Villa who should set up a bit more traditionally against us.

Who knows, this could be the result we needed to finally see Gorkss dropped. Cummings probably won't offer a great deal more than Gunter so I'm not that fussed at RB. It's Gorkss that is the biggest priority to sort out IMO. Then midfield. Then right back.

502 posts