The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2015//16

7831 posts
P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The Academy/Development squads watch thread 2013/14

by P!ssed Off » 12 Feb 2014 22:56

2007 Team vs Liverpool:

Team: Alex McCarthy, Daniel Spence, Julian Kelly, Jem Karacan (c), Adam Bygrave, Alex Pearce, James Henry, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Simon Church, Tom Hateley, Nicholas Bignall.
Subs: Bayley, Kitteridge, Cox, Hal Robson-Kanu, Viktor Illugason

7 of the 1st XI are current professionals.
Plus HRK on the bench obviously.

Bygrave and Spence have been out the game for a while.
Bignall may have been if not for serious injury, Kelly was playing in League 1 last season.

tbf to the Liverpool team almost half their 1st XI is playing in the English football league:
Jay Spearing for Bolton in the Championship.
Stephen Darby for Bradford and Ryan Flynn for Sheffield Utd in League 1
Jimmy Ryan for Chesterfield and Robbie Threlfall for Morecambe in League 2.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 13 Feb 2014 09:09

NewCorkSeth "I wonder what Gareth McCleary and Chris Gunter are doing for valentines day" - Jake Taylor 2014

Fcuking LOL

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 13 Feb 2014 10:12

SCIAG A few years ago, we had an excellent side containing Hamer, Pearce, Julian Kelly, Karacan, Henry, Robson-Kanu, Church, Bignall, and sometimes a young Icelandic midfielder, all of whom went on to play for us.

Then we had a few quieter years that were dependent on a few stand-out talents like McCarthy, Jake Taylor, Abdulai Bell-Baggie (now in League 1), and D'Ath.

The past three years we've looked really good, but this is probably the most balanced side we've ever had. The past few years you could probably point to one or two and say "yeah, he won't make it", but this year it would be harsh to definitively rule anyone out.

Yeah I mean watching that team it was difficult to say we are weak in any position. Our keeper wasnt tested so I cant judge him but our defense were superb, midfield was solid, wingers were outstanding, striker missed a few easy enough opportunities but still scored. I thought Kelly looked dangerous every time he got the ball. His passing was versatile and he obviously has great ability on the ball. Nana Owusu may just be my new favorite player.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 13 Feb 2014 12:36

P!ssed Off 2007 Team vs Liverpool:

Team: Alex McCarthy, Daniel Spence, Julian Kelly, Jem Karacan (c), Adam Bygrave, Alex Pearce, James Henry, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Simon Church, Tom Hateley, Nicholas Bignall.

Good effort that, well done RFC.

IN for the QF vs Watford or Liverpool. The club should promote the f*ck out of this and get a big crowd in. Had 9,000 in for a Youth Cup tie against Man U in 2001. Quietly satisfying that we can draw in a crowd for a youth match which erstwhile local rivals could only dream of for a home first team league fixture 8)

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 13 Feb 2014 12:38

floyd__streete Big fan of RFC's number 5.

Hyam Ed Winchester :!:

I'm gonna be Iron
Like a Lion
Called Hyam

KC Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by KC Royal » 13 Feb 2014 15:04

P!ssed Off 2007 Team vs Liverpool:

Plus HRK on the bench obviously.

Bygrave and Spence have been out the game for a while.
Bignall may have been if not for serious injury, Kelly was playing in League 1 last season.

tbf to the Liverpool team almost half their 1st XI is playing in the English football league:
Jay Spearing for Bolton in the Championship.
Stephen Darby for Bradford and Ryan Flynn for Sheffield Utd in League 1
Jimmy Ryan for Chesterfield and Robbie Threlfall for Morecambe in League 2.

Yea, think I noticed the number of the starting XI who were now pros, without realising that HRK was also on the bench. IIRC Bygrave was at Gillingham for a while but hardly played, possibly on loan?

As for the Liverpool team, hadn't heard of Flynn or Threlfall. Darby I have heard of but he must have been one that passed me by. I only knew about Jimmy Ryan after catching his name on the FLS one week. I watched the final when Liverpool won, which only rubbed it in that we lost as the match report said that we were unlucky to go out, and remember Jay Spearing very well. It just seemed surprising that for a Youth Cup winning side more weren't instantly recognisable. Our team's achievements since puts them to shame really!

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 13 Feb 2014 19:16

well, we were unlucky to go out

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 14 Feb 2014 10:53

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11676/9165327

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore has confirmed that there are plans for a 'B' league to come into existence.

The new league would replace the current Under-21 league format, and would be for Under-23 players with four over age players allowed.

The league would involve the same teams that are in the Under-21 league - which is those who are classed as category one in the Elite Player Performance Plan (EPPP).

That would mean that current Premier League sides Arsenal, Aston Villa, Chelsea, Everton, Fulham, Liverpool, Manchester City, Manchester United, Newcastle, Norwich, Southampton, Stoke, Sunderland, Tottenham, West Brom and West Ham would be involved along with Football League clubs Bolton, Blackburn, Leicester, Middlesbrough, Reading and Wolves.

Other clubs such as Crystal Palace, who aim to achieve category one status soon, would also be allowed to compete in the competition - with the plan to broadcast the games played from the main club stadiums.

Scudamore outlined his hopes for what he believes will be a much-needed component to youth development in English football.

"We understand the challenge of developing English talent good enough to play in the Premier League first team is how do you get them to transition from Under-18s into first-team squads? It is such a huge leap. You have to have the transition phase, the 'professional development phase' we call it," he explained to the Daily Telegraph.

"The Under-21 League is technically very good but not where it needs to be in terms of meaningful competition for these youngsters.

"The minute you call it 'Under-21' people think it is no use. It needs a better name and a better focus. All clubs recognise that. We need proper kick-off times, using main stadiums, anything to create an experience that is more competitive and more like the first team so it doesn't come as such a shock. And those players in that group should be interchangeable with the first team.

"They should be category one clubs and we are happy for them to be in that league with 16 of ours, and six of the Championship. If more cat one clubs come along you structure it accordingly.

"It should be in all our interests that people have more cat one academies because that's the best it can be.''

Scudamore insisted that the new league would have no impact on the Football League or its structure.

"Having been chief executive of the Football League, I believe in the pyramid. If you set up a club behind the Dog and Duck, make your way up through those 44,000 others, and climb over enough to get to us - brilliant, we'd love to have you," he continued.

Scudamore insists that the Premier League is firmly behind the Football Association's drive to improve the youth development in England.

"The night (in 2007) we lost to Croatia 2-3, poor old Steve McClaren under the umbrella, I flipped. I said: 'This can't go on, we aren't taking this reputational damage any more.' It took a while to get this EPPP into place.

"It is incongruous that we have the (successful) league that we have and aren't seen to be doing better on the international stage. The last eight of the World Cup is where we naturally should be. The last four is bloody good. To get to a final would be absolutely fantastic. It will happen in my lifetime, that England will get to a final.''
Commission

FA chairman Greg Dyke has set up a Commission to look into the problems within the English game and how they can build towards a successful England side, and Scudamore feels that the Premier League will show they are doing their bit.

"I know the Commission will be taking a very good look at EPPP and will be pleasantly surprised as to what is in place already,'' said Scudamore.

"All our clubs are searching for that local boy who can make it, the Steven Gerrard, the Jamie Carragher, born within the environs of that club. That's the holy grail. Fans will love any player who is good for their club but there is a special place that fans reserve for the local boy made good.

"I hope the Commission spend some considerable time in their report addressing the biggest issue we've got which is the propensity of people to want to play at grass-roots level. But it's fragile.

"Grass roots is always fragile. We mustn't kill the willing amateur. Are we sure that young people have access to the facilities, to play regular football, in this winter of all winters, when you hear of teams who haven't played since November? Put in a decent 3G facility and you could play a whole league over the weekend.''

Scudamore believes Dyke needs to push the Government for better funding of the game at grass roots level.

"The money we are putting into grass roots is never enough but it wouldn't be beyond the wit of the FA to find some more of their resources and then Government funding again,'' said Scudamore.

"The key objective for the FA chairman is to get that sorted. The urban areas of Britain aren't well served. There are lots of young people living in high density accommodation without an escape through football which is why our clubs are trying to do their bit through their community schemes.

"We can only do so much. What we are doing could be scaled (up) with input from the FA and more input from Government. It is happening. Sport England have now come along part-funding Kickz programme; they see the power of using our club brands and expertise to grow this engagement.

"Raheem Sterling and Wilfried Zaha came through a Kickz programme in a pretty challenging area in this country (London) and there must be loads of kids like them. I can't believe there aren't some more kids of 13, 14, 15, 16, living in these huge tower blocks, who if they had the facilities and a safe coaching environment would become footballers.''

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 14 Feb 2014 10:55

Basically they're planning to do an Under 23s Premier League 'B' league for the cat one clubs.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Feb 2014 11:07

Pepe the Horseman Basically they're planning to do an Under 23s Premier League 'B' league for the cat one clubs.

Is this a worthwhile endeavor? I mean is it going to be anything better than what is in place now? (genuine question - dont slay me for it)

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 14 Feb 2014 11:20

Prize money and Televised.

It's worth while, it will help fund the academies via other revenue sources.

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 14 Feb 2014 11:23

Is it U21s and three overs at the moment? Presumably with U23s and four overs, it will be more competitive as well.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Feb 2014 11:28

Is it not possible it could keep good young players from going out on loan? I mean Zaha might not have been allowed out on loan if he was playing well in an u23s league? The more meaningful you make this b league, the more likely big clubs will keep their players so that they win it.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 14 Feb 2014 11:37

NewCorkSeth Is it not possible it could keep good young players from going out on loan? I mean Zaha might not have been allowed out on loan if he was playing well in an u23s league? The more meaningful you make this b league, the more likely big clubs will keep their players so that they win it.

On the other hand though I don't agree with the clubs having huge squads and loaning players to other Prem teams. They either need the player or though don't, but they just seem to stockpile the younger players to stop others getting them.

royalZILLAAA

by royalZILLAAA » 14 Feb 2014 11:40

NewCorkSeth Is it not possible it could keep good young players from going out on loan? I mean Zaha might not have been allowed out on loan if he was playing well in an u23s league? The more meaningful you make this b league, the more likely big clubs will keep their players so that they win it.

That's what I thought. Quite a good idea actually, if the standard of this league is deemed to be of higher quality than the typical Conference loan fare. Plus it will mean we have a better chance of being a regular Premier League team (even if it's Prem B...)

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Feb 2014 11:41

Wycombe Royal

On the other hand though I don't agree with the clubs having huge squads and loaning players to other Prem teams. They either need the player or though don't, but they just seem to stockpile the younger players to stop others getting them.

Maybe a ruling on inter-league loan limits per parent team would be wise? And increasing the championship loans? As it stands an unaffiliated team can only loan 1 player on a long term deal per team right?

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 14 Feb 2014 11:41

Surely that is the whole point - better that they play other top youngsters on main stadiums pitches than play in a League 2 mudfest where they get kicked up in the air by older stronger - but less technically able players. Perform well in the Under 23 games and they would go straight into the first team if there was for example injury.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Feb 2014 11:52

andrew1957

Surely that is the whole point - better that they play other top youngsters on main stadiums pitches than play in a League 2 mudfest where they get kicked up in the air by older stronger - but less technically able players. Perform well in the Under 23 games and they would go straight into the first team if there was for example injury.

Yeah granted its better than league 2 but say Liverpool has a quality under 23s team. Why would they loan a player out to the Championship instead of focusing on winning the league? It might make that league a bit more competitive but the Championship and below will suffer for it and soon enough the English league system will be another 2 league system with the Championships quality getting worse and worse each year.. Imagine someone like Lambert trying to get a game somewhere in that mess?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 14 Feb 2014 12:06

Pepe the Horseman Is it U21s and three overs at the moment? Presumably with U23s and four overs, it will be more competitive as well.

It's U21, three outfield overs and one goalkeeper over.

Pepe the Horseman

"Grass roots is always fragile. We mustn't kill the willing amateur. Are we sure that young people have access to the facilities, to play regular football, in this winter of all winters, when you hear of teams who haven't played since November? Put in a decent 3G facility and you could play a whole league over the weekend.''

Scudamore believes Dyke needs to push the Government for better funding of the game at grass roots level.

"The money we are putting into grass roots is never enough but it wouldn't be beyond the wit of the FA to find some more of their resources and then Government funding again,'' said Scudamore.

"The key objective for the FA chairman is to get that sorted. The urban areas of Britain aren't well served. There are lots of young people living in high density accommodation without an escape through football which is why our clubs are trying to do their bit through their community schemes.

"We can only do so much. What we are doing could be scaled (up) with input from the FA and more input from Government. It is happening. Sport England have now come along part-funding Kickz programme; they see the power of using our club brands and expertise to grow this engagement.

"Raheem Sterling and Wilfried Zaha came through a Kickz programme in a pretty challenging area in this country (London) and there must be loads of kids like them. I can't believe there aren't some more kids of 13, 14, 15, 16, living in these huge tower blocks, who if they had the facilities and a safe coaching environment would become footballers.''

Alternatively, Richard, you could look at the millions of pounds squandered on player wages every year and invest that in facilities, rather than going cap in hand for government funding.

NewCorkSeth
Hob Nob Addict

by NewCorkSeth » 14 Feb 2014 12:07

SCIAG Alternatively, Richard, you could look at the millions of pounds squandered on player wages every year and invest that in facilities, rather than going cap in hand for government funding.

At least were not as bad as that free spending frog league!

7831 posts