CONFIMRED - Sean Morrison signs for Cardiff

597 posts
Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

Re: CONFIMRED - Sean Morrison signs for Cardiff

by Winston Smith » 16 Aug 2014 10:16

paddy20 The type of criticism one of our best young players is getting really makes me laugh. -- You are working at your firm and a rival comes along and says" We think you are really good, we would like you to come and join us. We are a very well off firm with great plans going forward. we can offer you a much better contract and pay. Perhaps you go back to your present boss and ask .. could you match that? No sorry, we can't (or won't). Ah what do I do? Shall I stay and keep those chappies happy in the East stand? Or should I get an improved life style with the possibility of playing premiership football in the near future?

Football is a job for players. They are not our brothers or family! Please just get real!

That is crazy talk Paddy. No footballers move for career advancement anymore, only money, as every one of them is a mercenary. And a c***.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 16 Aug 2014 10:19

Winston Smith
paddy20 The type of criticism one of our best young players is getting really makes me laugh. -- You are working at your firm and a rival comes along and says" We think you are really good, we would like you to come and join us. We are a very well off firm with great plans going forward. we can offer you a much better contract and pay. Perhaps you go back to your present boss and ask .. could you match that? No sorry, we can't (or won't). Ah what do I do? Shall I stay and keep those chappies happy in the East stand? Or should I get an improved life style with the possibility of playing premiership football in the near future?

Football is a job for players. They are not our brothers or family! Please just get real!

That is crazy talk Paddy. No footballers move for career advancement anymore, only money, as every one of them is a mercenary. And a c***.

Doesn't career advancement and more money go hand in hand? If there is no loyalty from chairmen and managers you sure won't find it with footballers. We are not living in Utopia but a capitalist society. Thats just life!

Winston Smith
Hob Nob Addict

by Winston Smith » 16 Aug 2014 10:22

I was being sarcastic, Paddy.

the whole mercenary/only going for the money thing is usually what fans say when they are pissed off about a player wanting to leave. It makes them feel better about things.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 16 Aug 2014 10:37

paddy20
Dave-Royal Morrison money grab bastard

Player tries to do best for himself and career shocker!!

Amazes me how so many supporters seem to happily accept what professional football has become and let highly paid mercenaries take the piss out of their clubs and supporters. Morrison was given a damn good contract by RFC, which he happily accepted. He then spent the majority of last season out injured (not his fault, I know) whilst continuing to enjoy the benefits of his contract. Despite it being clear that he was a central part of Adkins plans for this season (so different from ALF who was struggling to get game time last season and was unsure about this), he still asks to jump ship as soon as someone flashes more money in his direction.

Imagine the outcry from him and his agent had Hammond called them into his office and told them that the club had changed their mind, no longer wanted him on the books and were tearing up his contract or reducing his wages.

And let's get one thing absolutely clear. This is NOT the same situation as us 'normal' employees. So why the comparisons with us leaving our employers for more money? The vast majority of us will be employed on contracts that state that they can be terminated by a certain period of notice from either party (yes, I am aware that there are also certain employment protection rights). Unlike footballers, Very few of us are lucky to be employed on very lucrative, fixed term contracts of 2-4 years that can't be terminated before that time by our employer. What's more, if we are, then we are usually held to that term and there are financial and even legal penalties if we try and walk away before they are fulfilled (and quite rightly too, since contracts are meant to be balanced and our employer can't get rid of us early without facing similar penalties). And I do know what I am talking about in that regard as in the past I have been employed under such a contract and have also issued similar contracts to other staff.

Martin41

by Martin41 » 16 Aug 2014 10:45

Well for me, we got a good fee, so good luck to him.
Not one of us knows the full reason. Yes I accept it maybe money, either partly or fully.
We also don't know that his contract did not state that if a certain fee was met, he could talk to clubs.
We also don't know there was not a financial penalty that he had to pay, or cardiff on his behalf, ( I accept that might be unlikely)
Only the player and club knows the ins and outs, which is how it should be, unless it concerns you personally you would not expect or want it to be made public.
So once again, from me thanks and good luck.........not a mercenary for me, yes money talks in football we all know that, but I firmly don't believe that this is the players doing. They or there agents ask for x amount, it's down to the people at the top of clubs with more money than sense..........
Anyway it's done he's gone, let's concentrate on the rest of the season.

Caskeys Lovechild

by Caskeys Lovechild » 16 Aug 2014 11:00

This is another master stroke by Hammond.

How much money has this bloke made, over and above the valuations of our players in the last 10 years?

I liked the lad...but 3-4million quid for a defender who can't keep a constant 90 mins of concentration? That's stunning business.... I hope they've stipulated that he must play against us.

I don't even care if the money can't be reinvested - if that's the quality you get for £4m then I'd rather see academy lads coming through the ranks and being thrown in at the deep end.

Feeder club for Cardiff? They're shortly going to realise they're more like the dumping ground for our "almost beens"

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 16 Aug 2014 11:12

Plus one to a certain degree Royal Blue. You simply cannot compare the working employee and employer contracts of "normal working people" with those of professional footballers. The higher up the pyramid the bigger the distance with the real world us mere mortals live in.

I would imagine this is another prime exhibit for supporters who lose heart with the modern game of football, sorry product I believe it is now called, and clear off to get their fix lower down the pyramid where you can still relate to the club and players.

Players like Morrison will come and go, no big deal. Some will stay longer, achieve memorable lasting achievements like some of the 106 team, and will keep a bit of Reading FC in their hearts when they look back on their career. Morrison going is a bit meh for me.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 16 Aug 2014 11:15

Is Vic still talking nonsense about pocketing parachute payments? Dear oh dear.

I'm astounded there is any negativity about this move other than it probably leaves us shorter in midfield for a bit.

yappy

by yappy » 16 Aug 2014 11:34

Royal Ginger Cardiff must be up shit creek on FFP. How are they affording this team they're assembling?

Selling Medel, Campbell, Caulker & Mutch would help! Remember we didn't exactly sell many of our players when we came down last season. The likes of Morro & Alfie won't be on ridiculous wages.

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 16 Aug 2014 12:28

I don't know which way to read this :cry:

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 16 Aug 2014 12:42

Left to right? Also, funnily enough I think he might be suggesting Adkins is full o' shit

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 16 Aug 2014 12:54

kwik-silva I don't know which way to read this :cry:

Mercenary makes ambiguous comment to ward off criticism shocker

kwik-silva
Hob Nob Regular

by kwik-silva » 16 Aug 2014 13:04

Silver Fox Left to right? Also, funnily enough I think he might be suggesting Adkins is full o' shit

Good one! I more meant to which transfer he was alluding.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 16 Aug 2014 13:07

Le Fondre has publically made statements he wanted to leave twice before, why would people assume he said "no boss I'm happy here, but I'll go get a bigger wage at cardiff if you insist"

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 16 Aug 2014 17:22

Sean who?

Pepe the Horseman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Pepe the Horseman » 16 Aug 2014 17:34

MORRISON

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 16 Aug 2014 17:40

PARDON?

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 16 Aug 2014 17:51

SydenhamRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SydenhamRoyal » 16 Aug 2014 17:53

Simon's Church
Pepe the Horseman
Simon's Church Can't wait to see who the new scapegoat is when we concede softly tomorrow

Presumably Akpan will be playing.

Good shout

Yep. After today I take all the good things I have said about Akpan back.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

Re: Morrison has GONE

by SPARTA » 16 Aug 2014 18:15

And he did! Hector was superb today. Man of the match by a long way. Composed, brave, decent distribution. A definite improvement on Morrison it has be said. The boy has a very big future ahead if him!

597 posts