MCDERMOTT SACKED

714 posts
pearcetom

Re: MCDERMOTT SACKED

by pearcetom » 12 Mar 2013 12:03

johnnym
Norfolk Royal Jonny Fordham‏@JonnyFordham

Brian McDermott has gone abroad for a few days with his friend to reflect on the last couple of days #readingfc

Who is the friend?

football friend?

Jason Roberts

HoneyRoastHoax
Hob Nob Regular

by HoneyRoastHoax » 12 Mar 2013 12:05

Divorce is a messy thing.

Look at the kids arguing with each other.

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 12 Mar 2013 12:05

mr_number
Sanguine 'Identity' didn't matter so much when Brendan Rodgers, a man with ties to club, was admirably trying to play football the right way with a group of inexperienced youngsters, many of whom had come through the youth setup.

Yep, because the ties that Brendan had to the club were exactly the same as those Brian has, and the position the club was in at the time was exactly the same, so yes, that seems an entirely valid comparison.

So we have an identity some of the time? Agreed.

Rollerbob

Re: This could work!

by Rollerbob » 12 Mar 2013 12:06

Hoop Blah Any manager that see's us a genuinely good club to manage in the Championship obviously. The kind of manager who thinks his influence might just give a squad a short term boost to win two or three games and make a valiant attempt at staying up.

Coppell always used to say that the way you finished a season had a big bearing on the way you started the next. Keeping McDermott in charge now, as we're pretty much certain to be relegated and getting worse not better, probably doesn't give those that matter much faith for next season and beyond.

It's quite possible that they decided some time ago that after the Villa game was the perfect time to assess the situation. If we'd won both, or perhaps just one, of the two six pointers I'm pretty sure he'd still be in a job.

Can't disagree with this point. As much as I like McDermott as a bloke, it's a valid sacking for me. With McDermott, we were going down and he'd be sacked at the end of the season. With mystery new manager, we are probably going down still - so why not make the change now; the worst scenario is that it gives the new man 8 or 9 games in the prem - making it easier for him in the Champ. Letting Villa and Wigan take 6 points each of us is criminal, and he's rightly punished.

Sure, he's done fantastically in the past; but this season has been a real eye opener to see his limits and lack of experience. Have a particularly bad season, and whatever level you are at and whatever your history; the manager will always be in hot water.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 12 Mar 2013 12:06

melonhead until i hear from brian about the money i cant really say.

I think this is a good and fair point. From what 1 reliable bobber has posted, there was money, the bid for the Sig suggests there was, although we can't know for sure. If it comes out in the wash there was and he didn't use it, then I will have no sympathy for Brian as it will just demonstrate he could not judge the level required in this division and he was too loyal to certain players.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Mar 2013 12:06

BR2
melonhead
The Rouge brendy, would you concede that he bought some players, had some money and generally stuck with ledge, mcanuff, jem etc a little too much..?

he bought 6 players in jan, for about 5 million quid.
they were all desperately needed to fill positions we were lacking in either first team or cover.

if hed have had 40 million he could have done a rebuild.he didnt have that, so was effectively fighting fires again.

i absolutely 100% categorically disagree in the strongest imaginable manner, that he stuck with mcanuff too long. the blokes been one of our most consistent achievers this season.easily.works harder than anyone.produces as much quality as anyone.

ledge has been up and down. but when hes the only all round midfielder we actually have its understandbale he hasnt been dropped.
imo hes better than all the other options in the middle. karacan can run around faster, but cant pass or tackle, and is very lightweight. guthrie can pass apparently, but does very little of it effectively that i can see, and also cant tackle, or run around as much.

which just goes to show the options brian had. he didnt have the money to buyt a whole new midfield, a whole new defence, and a whole new front line, which is what was probably required to make a fist of staying up. and even if he had that money, the liklihood of getting a whole new team together and making it function while playing in the premiere league was about 10%(see qpr)

I do hope that you,and people like you,will give such loving backing to whoever gets the job and we don't have nonsense like we have seen at Chelsea.
The club is a changing beast ,it is not a cosy little set-up in rural England any more,it is a Russian-owned investment and we have the choice of carrying on supporting the club or not.
Managers,players,even chairmen move on but the club remains.

If you think Brian is hard done by (big pay-out followed by employment at a lower division club in no time) think of the poor late Maurice Evans-sacked by the club when we were 3rd in the league.
These things happen and this idea that a club has a soul is just nonsense-lovely to think so but it is just another club that we choose to follow by accident of birth or because of growing up in the area.

Incidentally are we the only club in the Premier League not to have had a foreign (apart from Charlie Hurley)manager?

any manager will have my backing.
if i like and respect him that backing is likely to last longer through the bad times.
i dont think he is hard done by. results count and on that basis he can have no complaints. in fact i can guarantee he WILL have no complaints when ever he talks to the press.

it may be nonsense to you.
it isnt to me.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 12 Mar 2013 12:10

melonhead any manager will have my backing.
if i like and respect him that backing is likely to last longer through the bad times.
i dont think he is hard done by. results count and on that basis he can have no complaints. in fact i can guarantee he WILL have no complaints when ever he talks to the press.

it may be nonsense to you.
it isnt to me.

You are Pastor Martin Niemöller AICMFP

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 12 Mar 2013 12:12

BR2
Vision
Maguire

We've been established at the upper end of "the Chump" for ages haven't we?

Champions 06/07, Prem, Prem, Play-offs, about 9th, Play-off Final, Champions, Prem

It's a total myth that the upper echelons of the Championship are populated by a load of mini Barcelonas tiki-takaing their way through rainy away days in Barnsley and Middlesbrough.

We don't gain much possession this season because our players aren't very good. This has been the club's greatest failing rather than Brian championing some form of anti-football.

Yep. I think we've only had one season since we got promoted to the Championship a decade ago where we didn't go into the last game of the season without the possibility of playing top flight football the next season. It's been a remarkably consistent run yet the way some people talk on here it's as if no-one at the club has had a oxf*rd clue and we've fluked every season.

Wrong-most people are talking just about last season and I'm sure nobody would regard the 106 season as a fluke.

Nonsense. Many people (you included) have spent the last decade and beyond questioning the club's ambitions and policies. I've seen the 106 team referred to as a "fluke" on here in the past actually. People are still constantly peddling the line even now that we "fluked" the championship last season.

It's been a constant since I've been a fan and fair enough it's what football fans do to a certain extent but you can't deny that the club's methods haven't been constantly criticised by many despite as I said the fact that we've been a game away from Top tier football in every season bar one.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Mar 2013 12:13

Big Ern

I think this is a good and fair point. From what 1 reliable bobber has posted, there was money, the bid for the Sig suggests there was, although we can't know for sure. If it comes out in the wash there was and he didn't use it, then I will have no sympathy for Brian as it will just demonstrate he could not judge the level required in this division and he was too loyal to certain players.

money made available last minute in jan as panic set in.

i have no idea who made the decision on budget in the summer.
words from brian and anton conflict slightly, but its likely that it was a joint decision, based on multiple factors, made between AZ, hammond and brian. and probably influenced by the sheer size of the rebuild needed due to our premature promotion.

& imo sympathy would still be due even if it was solely brians decision.
these were his players, that hed brought into the club over many years, and many of whom had performed miracles for him in the previous seasons, and who deserved their chance at the big time. id forgive that.
personally id have preferred to go down with these players and brian, getting as much as possible out of this league, than bring in a new man, and a whole new team when we got promoted.
but then i admit im overly sentimental when it comes to RFC.

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 12 Mar 2013 12:14

Norfolk Royal Jonny Fordham‏@JonnyFordham

Brian McDermott has gone abroad for a few days with his friend to reflect on the last couple of days #readingfc

Who is the friend?
Jobi McAnuff or Mikele Leigertwood?

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 12 Mar 2013 12:16

Sanguine
mr_number
Sanguine 'Identity' didn't matter so much when Brendan Rodgers, a man with ties to club, was admirably trying to play football the right way with a group of inexperienced youngsters, many of whom had come through the youth setup.

Yep, because the ties that Brendan had to the club were exactly the same as those Brian has, and the position the club was in at the time was exactly the same, so yes, that seems an entirely valid comparison.

So we have an identity some of the time? Agreed.

No; the norms that are constructed as part of an identity are not absolute; the Rogers situation was a materially more extreme one that the one we are facing now. The same norms apply but the situation is different. OK?

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 12 Mar 2013 12:16

melonhead
Big Ern

Maybe the Chairman and Director of Football were keen to continue with the Reading way and didn't make the manager aware of these funds?

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 12 Mar 2013 12:17

melonhead
Big Ern

i have no idea who made the decision on budget in the summer.
words from brian and anton conflict slightly, but its likely that it was a joint decision, based on multiple factors, made between AZ, hammond and brian. and probably influenced by the sheer size of the rebuild needed due to our premature promotion.

& imo sympathy would still be due even if it was solely brians decision.
these were his players, that hed brought into the club over many years, and many of whom had performed miracles for him in the previous seasons, and who deserved their chance at the big time. id forgive that.
personally id have preferred to go down with these players and brian, getting as much as possible out of this league, than bring in a new man, and a whole new team when we got promoted.
but then i admit im overly sentimental when it comes to RFC.

Quite a sweeping and speculative statement and certainly not fact. Me thinks you just made it up to justify your view point as there has been no other suggestion this was the case?

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Mar 2013 12:19

apart from the fact that we spent the entire window d buying cheap nobodies, then in the last week suddenkly started making double figure bids for big players.

that said, i did mean to put a question mark at the end of the sentence, i was just offering a possible scenario

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Mar 2013 12:21

melonhead
BraisingsteakRoyal Whether you think the sacking (or timing thereof) is wrong, does anyone disagree that the style of football employed by Brian is outdated, predictable and more often than not horrible to watch (even when we win)? Anyone?

brian played the system and tactics that most suited the players he had at his disposal

All of which he either signed or gave new contracts to.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 12 Mar 2013 12:22

and of which were decent players imo
who fit within the budget given :lol:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 12 Mar 2013 12:23

floyd__streete ^ again, I ask – with 9 games left and relegation certain, which managerial candidate worth his salt will really want a confirmed relegation on his CV?

Ones who want to rebuild a side at a very attractive Championship club.

Why is that so hard to grasp floyd? For the type of manager we're likely to want it's going to be a pretty attractive proposition because they've got plenty of time to suss out their squad plus a very outside chance of keeping the side in the Premier League if they get that immediate 'honeymoon' uplift from the side.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 12 Mar 2013 12:24

melonhead apart from the fact that we spent the entire window d buying cheap nobodies, then in the last week suddenkly started making double figure bids for big players.

that said, i did mean to put a question mark at the end of the sentence, i was just offering a possible scenario

Ok, question mark omission apology accepted.

I remember Anton staying behind in England for the close of the Jan transfer window. could be the case he was frustrated Brian was being too loyal to certain players and not spending the money available and needed to improve the squad. Let's face it, even when we did bid big, it was an ex player Brian already knew well. Was he scared of bringing in someone he didn't know who he might find hard to manager?

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 12 Mar 2013 12:26

melonhead
The Rouge brendy, would you concede that he bought some players, had some money and generally stuck with ledge, mcanuff, jem etc a little too much..?

he bought 6 players in jan, for about 5 million quid.
they were all desperately needed to fill positions we were lacking in either first team or cover.
YES, I AGREE, BUT THESE PLAYERS ARE NOT ALL 'COVER' AND HE BOUGHT GUNTER, POG ETC AT THE START OF THE SEASON...

if hed have had 40 million he could have done a rebuild.he didnt have that, so was effectively fighting fires again.
I TOTALLY AGREE HE WASN'T GIVEN THE BUDGET TO DO VERY WELL, HE COULD PERHAPS HAVE SPENT THE MONEY BETTER THOUGH

i absolutely 100% categorically disagree in the strongest imaginable manner, that he stuck with mcanuff too long. the blokes been one of our most consistent achievers this season.easily.works harder than anyone.produces as much quality as anyone.
I AM NOT TALKING ABOUT HI STARTING GAMES, MORE HIS RELUCTANCE TO TAKE HIM OFF WHEN STRUGGLING - BUT BY NOT MENTIONING THEM I TAKE IT YOU AGREE RE:

ledge has been up and down. but when hes the only all round midfielder we actually have its understandbale he hasnt been dropped.
imo hes better than all the other options in the middle. karacan can run around faster, but cant pass or tackle, and is very lightweight. guthrie can pass apparently, but does very little of it effectively that i can see, and also cant tackle, or run around as much.
GUTHRIE ON PAPER HAS BEEN UNDERPLAYED. I THINK HIS WBA HOME PERFORMANCE WAS THE BEST MIDFIELD DISPLAY OF THE SEASON ALONGSIDE LEDGE'S AT NEWCASTLE.

which just goes to show the options brian had. he didnt have the money to buyt a whole new midfield, a whole new defence, and a whole new front line, which is what was probably required to make a fist of staying up. and even if he had that money, the liklihood of getting a whole new team together and making it function while playing in the premiere league was about 10%(see qpr)
I AM IN NO WAY SAYING THAT A DIFF MANAGER WOULD KEEP THIS TEAM UP. JUST THAT ANOTHER MANAGER MAY NOT HAVE STUCK/BUILT WITH THIS TO TRY AND STAY UP. MCD, WHILST NOT HAVING A GOOD BUDGET, HAS SOME OF THE BLAME FOR THAT. (QPR COULD NOT DEFEND CROSSES)

I LOVE HIM TOO MIND.

MouldyRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by MouldyRoyal » 12 Mar 2013 12:27

Hoop Blah
floyd__streete ^ again, I ask – with 9 games left and relegation certain, which managerial candidate worth his salt will really want a confirmed relegation on his CV?

Ones who want to rebuild a side at a very attractive Championship club.

Why is that so hard to grasp floyd? For the type of manager we're likely to want it's going to be a pretty attractive proposition because they've got plenty of time to suss out their squad plus a very outside chance of keeping the side in the Premier League if they get that immediate 'honeymoon' uplift from the side.

This. The new manager will not be brought in with the realistic aim of keeping us. If that happens it'll be a happy miracle. No the new manager will get a handful of games to suss out the playing squad, who needs to be replaced, who needs to be held on to, who trains well, who has a bad attitude etc etc etc. Then as soon as the summer starts he can hit the ground running preparing for a successful (hopefully) championship season.

Better than bringing someone in half way through the transfer window with no idea who's worth keeping and who's worth shipping out.

714 posts