New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by Hoop Blah » 14 May 2009 10:25

I've not read the rest of the thread, but I'd be pretty happy with Rodgers.

I like a manager to have a real feeling for the culture of the club and I think it helps if they come in knowing what to expect and how things are done. I also want to see a young hungry manager with bright new ideas and a bit of ambition come in to replace Coppell. They also need to favour the right brand of football for me too (that doesn't mean over passing it, but it means knowing how to keep the ball and create chances as well as knowing when it's ok to lump it long and quickly), as I think the better football you play the more consistent your results will be and the better it is for long term success.

From what I've seen and known of Rodgers in the past, he ticks pretty much all the boxes, the fact that he will know a lot about youngsters coming through is a massive bonus.

The only thing against him is he has no real record in the transfer market. The squad is going to need a hell of an overhaul this summer and we'll need someone who can judge a player and attract them to club. Hopefully with his rising reputation and good links to Chelsea Rodgers may have that in him too.

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 14 May 2009 10:27

It took me a long time to write the 'report' at the beginning of page 11. That it failed to interest ... well ... anyone, is a tribute to the board, to the board's knowledge of all things Reading, and to the English educational system in general.

I wasn't sober when I wrote it though.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 May 2009 10:29

o leary! o really?

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 14 May 2009 10:30

Royal Rother I'll be extremely happy if Rodgers is appointed.

I saw him down at the driving range by Rivermead last Thursday evening.

Obviously still lives in Reading (It's not that far to Watford :lol: )

Not that it's relevant at all..................... :shock: :oops:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 May 2009 10:31

Sebastian Dillon and Downes gone according to official site - looks like we've got some big changes in store. New manager bringing backroom staff with him?

No great surprises there - completely clean slate in order to look at existing players objectively and with no preconceptions.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 14 May 2009 10:34

Royal Rother I'll be extremely happy if Rodgers is appointed.

'greed. Like his intelligent yet no nonsense attitude!

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 14 May 2009 10:40

Poyet. 8)

retro royal

by retro royal » 14 May 2009 10:49

We need a new manager that is going to kick some of the arrogant fcuk's up in the air a bit, I'm not to sure someone like Brendan Rogers is going to be like that. He could be Hammonsd "yes" man.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 May 2009 10:50

SteveRoyal Poyet. 8)

think of all the south americans we could buy!

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 14 May 2009 10:53

retro royal We need a new manager that is going to kick some of the arrogant fcuk's up in the air a bit, I'm not to sure someone like Brendan Rogers is going to be like that. He could be Hammonsd "yes" man.

rodgers has worked with the most arrogant men on the planet (chelsea and mourinho), i somehow think he's got a rough idea of how to deal with these type of people.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 14 May 2009 10:55

You can forget the likes of Ferguson, Johnson and Rogers as we won't get permission to talk to them and unlike certain clubs we play by the rules.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 14 May 2009 10:59

Barry the bird boggler You can forget the likes of Ferguson, Johnson and Rogers as we won't get permission to talk to them and unlike certain clubs we play by the rules.

That would be the biggest stumbling block regarding getting Rodgers, but with Watford's financial situation, him only being on a short contract, and his obvious connections to the club I can see the Watford board giving in and letting us talk to him.

The last thing they'll want is a disillusioned manager who really wanted to be somewhere else as that won't help them pick up the players they'll need over the summer.

Fergie Jnr would be a decent appointment too, but I'd agree that Posh would probably put up more of a fight, and possibly Fergie would be looking for a bigger move in the future anyway.

kingsleyroyal

by kingsleyroyal » 14 May 2009 11:51

Just been at the BP garage in Basingstoke and saw Murts filling up his car. Asked him whether he'd apply for the managers job. He didn't say no, but asked me what I'd think if he did - seemed quite cagey....... but he really wanted my opinion....

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 14 May 2009 11:52

kingsleyroyal Just been at the BP garage in Basingstoke and saw Murts filling up his car. Asked him whether he'd apply for the managers job. He didn't say no, but asked me what I'd think if he did - seemed quite cagey....... but he really wanted my opinion....

Really? Wow. :shock:

wolsey
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Wishing I was young enough and crass enough to care

by wolsey » 14 May 2009 12:00

Chris Coleman?

Did a good job at Fulham without too many funds - quietly turning Coventry around, using low key signings of generally young players(Westwood, Fox etc.)

Nutmegs

by Nutmegs » 14 May 2009 12:07

kingsleyroyal Just been at the BP garage in Basingstoke and saw Murts filling up his car. Asked him whether he'd apply for the managers job. He didn't say no, but asked me what I'd think if he did - seemed quite cagey....... but he really wanted my opinion....

He's Reading through and through, give him the opportunity to prove himself, he's a liked guy around the club.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 14 May 2009 12:07

Daily Mail is usually quite good on Reading matters and today's good news was Birmingham's supposed willingness to pay £5 million for our pikey.
On top of that they feel that our preferred option is Rodgers and Dolan.
I like the idea of a youngish manager (as with McGhee)who is well connected (Chelsea and the London clubs)who looks and sounds as though he knows his own mind and (from reports coming out of Watford) is not a fan of long-ball football.
He will know enough about our players both young and old and probably won't be too expensive.
He seems to tick all of the boxes and hasn't been ground down by failure or dismissal at any other club.

With the club already being aware for a year that Coppell might leave you would hope that there is a clear plan in place but let's not forget that this is a club that also knew for a year about Sidwell and Shorey leaving but had no replacement plan in place.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 14 May 2009 12:10

BR2 Daily Mail is usually quite good on Reading matters and today's good news was Birmingham's supposed willingness to pay £5 million for our pikey.
On top of that they feel that our preferred option is Rodgers and Dolan.
I like the idea of a youngish manager (as with McGhee)who is well connected (Chelsea and the London clubs)who looks and sounds as though he knows his own mind and (from reports coming out of Watford) is not a fan of long-ball football.
He will know enough about our players both young and old and probably won't be too expensive.
He seems to tick all of the boxes and hasn't been ground down by failure or dismissal at any other club.

With the club already being aware for a year that Coppell might leave you would hope that there is a clear plan in place but let's not forget that this is a club that also knew for a year about Sidwell and Shorey leaving but had no replacement plan in place.

Yes, yes and yes!

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 14 May 2009 12:12

Seriously, anyone who offers more than £1m for Stephen Hunt is a fecking loon.

Brum wont give us £5m for him. They may well be interested, but not for silly money like that.

Top Flight
Hob Nob Regular

by Top Flight » 14 May 2009 12:16

I'd like Coppell back.

1747 posts