CONFRIMED: Takeover collapsed; Back to square one

5446 posts
Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: CONFRIMED: Takeover collapsed; Back to square one

by Sutekh » 22 Sep 2024 15:29

Winston Biscuit
WestYorksRoyal Some deranged conspiracy theorist calling into BBCRB too. Said he wasn't concerned about today and that a company affiliated to Dai will take us over, which is a good thing and everything will be fine.

Did he have a Chinese accent and was there a delay on the line as if they were calling from far away?

:lol:

We know it's all utter bollox what he was saying about this Blue River going to buy the club as if it's affiliated to Dai the FL aren't going to let him sell the club to some other company that he owns or has an interest in.

Just waiting now for the next piece of outlandish hopeum to get everyone going for this week.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 22 Sep 2024 15:40

WestYorksRoyal Didn't the Leicester owners enquire here to SJM, and he didn't trust them?

I'm sympathetic to the mistake of selling to AZ. He had a connection to the area through Bearwood school, and his Dad was a billionaire. It's perfectly rational to think the family as a whole will fund the club, and Russian owners were doing well at Chelsea. It all looked like a decent fit.

It was at the time seen as the only way to keep us competitive. If you look at the transfer revenue in SJM's later years, we were consistently selling star players and barely breaking even. He'd have had to cut us into a lower Championship side without promotion ambitions to stay on.

And his second sale to the Thais was a proper fire sale scenario; we were losing money hand over fist from contracts like Pogrebnyak and Drenthe, and Le Fondre was sold just to pay HMRC.

In hindsight, the Pogrebnyak signing was the first clue that things were changing and not in a good way. A wage structure busting 4 year contract is light years away from what we all knew at the "Reading Way". I don't think any of us were wised up enough to notice and call it out at that point though.

I think that Pogrebnyak signing was also a shift away from the manager having the final say on which players were signed, in terms of whether the manager want the player to be signed. We moved towards players getting signed without the manager wanting them and then having to somehow integrate them into the squad. That's probably a factor as to why, post-Madejski, we've usually made really poor signings.

If we had the resources under Madejski, we never would've made a Pogrebnyak or Drenthe signing. The manager almost certainly wouldn't have wanted that sort of player in the squad and likely the scouting team would've picked up on their character (especially Drenthe).

downloaded

by downloaded » 22 Sep 2024 20:01

Guardian Football Weekly podcast will cover the latest developments on one of this week's shows. I think it's likely to be Tuesday.

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 22 Sep 2024 20:03

downloaded Guardian Football Weekly podcast will cover the latest developments on one of this week's shows. I think it's likely to be Tuesday.

Will be interesting to hear if they've got any additional information. At least we've got national news talking about the issue.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 22 Sep 2024 20:18

(yet) Again

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 22 Sep 2024 20:52

Clyde1998
downloaded Guardian Football Weekly podcast will cover the latest developments on one of this week's shows. I think it's likely to be Tuesday.

Will be interesting to hear if they've got any additional information. At least we've got national news talking about the issue.

With everybody tied down by NDA's or abroad in China and Thailand. I fear that there isn't going to be any substantive news anytime soon.

5446 posts