Thames Sports Investment

5145 posts
under the tin

Re: Thames Sports Investment

by under the tin » 21 Jan 2012 19:10

winchester_royal Don't understand some of the scepticism on here tbh, people who are against it trust SJM to continue running the club, but don't trust him to act in our best interests when it comes to potential investors?

I'm sorry but he is lots of things is our John, but he loves this club, and he wouldn't let anyone take up a majority share holding unless it was right for the club.

I've always supported the way the club has been run, you can't spend money you don't have, however if investors have realised the potential of this club if it were to become established in the PL, and hence are willing to invest some money to increase the chances of that happening (something our current owner can't do because of his well documented difficulties) then I'm all for it.

It's not about becoming the 'next Man City', it's about being able to build a side capable of playing entertaining football at a successful level, and then being able to keep that side together. It's not cheating or immoral, it's business. 'Speculate to accumulate' is an acceptable business strategy as long as it does not put the club in potential danger.

I for one am excited, it's a new chapter in our club's history, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the next few months bring.

So am I, mate.

Friday's Legacy
Hob Nob Regular

by Friday's Legacy » 21 Jan 2012 19:10

winchester_royal Don't understand some of the scepticism on here tbh, people who are against it trust SJM to continue running the club, but don't trust him to act in our best interests when it comes to potential investors?

I'm sorry but he is lots of things is our John, but he loves this club, and he wouldn't let anyone take up a majority share holding unless it was right for the club.

I've always supported the way the club has been run, you can't spend money you don't have, however if investors have realised the potential of this club if it were to become established in the PL, and hence are willing to invest some money to increase the chances of that happening (something our current owner can't do because of his well documented difficulties) then I'm all for it.

It's not about becoming the 'next Man City', it's about being able to build a side capable of playing entertaining football at a successful level, and then being able to keep that side together. It's not cheating or immoral, it's business. 'Speculate to accumulate' is an acceptable business strategy as long as it does not put the club in potential danger.

I for one am excited, it's a new chapter in our club's history, and I'm looking forward to seeing what the next few months bring.

great summary of the whole situation.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Jan 2012 19:10

Agree.

under the tin

by under the tin » 21 Jan 2012 19:11

sandman I might go out in the morning and get hit by a bus. Does that mean I shouldn't go outside? SJM isn't going to be around for ever and if he trusts these people then we have to as well. Some people are just afraid of change.

Quite.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Jan 2012 19:11

Ian Royal
FiNeRaIn Stop moaning....lap it up and enjoy it. We are finally making an effort to COMPETE with everyone else spending stupid money. We got no extra points for taking a moral approach to football for the last decade so fvck them all.

I don't want to support another Leicester or QPR. Part of the reason I support Reading is because of our integrity. You might be happy for the club you support to Cheatit's way to success, but many of us aren't like Pompey fans or you. Thankfully.

Not your greatest post Ian.

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 21 Jan 2012 19:14

been reading this thread from day one and can!t help myseelf getting amused by us getting compared to to chelsea and city , FFS we are little Reading , we are never going to be giants on the football map , but for some of us that have watched our beloved team since i stood behind the goal at old elm park just let me have that dream that we can comptete rather than just exist up there with them in the the PM should we make it to the the promised land again.
as for the previous poster saying that we may have to pay 600 quid for a ST , half it again and you may be somewhere a liitle closer

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 21 Jan 2012 19:15

I'm concerned that we might ship out players like Brett Williams and Manset who are yet to achieve their full potential.

Not really.

under the tin

by under the tin » 21 Jan 2012 19:17

Norfolk Royal I'm concerned that we might ship out players like Brett Williams and Manset who are yet to achieve their full potential.

Not really.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 21 Jan 2012 19:20

Ian Royal
FiNeRaIn Stop moaning....lap it up and enjoy it. We are finally making an effort to COMPETE with everyone else spending stupid money. We got no extra points for taking a moral approach to football for the last decade so fvck them all.

I don't want to support another Leicester or QPR. Part of the reason I support Reading is because of our integrity. You might be happy for the club you support to cheat it's way to success, but many of us aren't like Pompey fans or you. Thankfully.

What a bellend

Muguire

by Muguire » 21 Jan 2012 19:21

McDermott said "Investors", so do we now assume it's daddy and son buying into the club? If so, daddy is a multi billionaire, and son has £330m.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Jan 2012 19:26

Schards#2
Ian Royal

I don't want to support another Leicester or QPR. Part of the reason I support Reading is because of our integrity. You might be happy for the club you support to cheat it's way to success, but many of us aren't like Pompey fans or you. Thankfully.

What a bellend

Not really. Leicester & Pompey have cheated their way to success. Neither club should even exist.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 21 Jan 2012 19:26

Muguire McDermott said "Investors", so do we now assume it's daddy and son buying into the club? If so, daddy is a multi billionaire, and son has £330m.

Neither appears on Wikipedia's list of Russian billionaires:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Ru ... _net_worth

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Jan 2012 19:28

MmmMonsterMunch Not really. Leicester & Pompey have cheated their way to success. Neither club should even exist.

Pompey...yes agreed. Not sure what Leicester have done though. Who says anyone is demanding we take that approach?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 21 Jan 2012 19:30

Muguire McDermott said "Investors", so do we now assume it's daddy and son buying into the club? If so, daddy is a multi billionaire, and son has £330m.

No, we assume it's the same people who were in control at the time of the abortive Everton buyout.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Jan 2012 19:30

FiNeRaIn
MmmMonsterMunch Not really. Leicester & Pompey have cheated their way to success. Neither club should even exist.

Pompey...yes agreed. Not sure what Leicester have done though. Who says anyone is demanding we take that approach?

Not sure what Leicester have done? How about get the stadium built & then only pay the builders about 1/3 of what they're owed, subsequently forcing them to go under...

under the tin

by under the tin » 21 Jan 2012 19:31

Get in there..
Just spotted Xavi, Iniesta, and Messi at Chicken Base, Wokingham Road. They've now rented a video from KXL Superstore in Erliegh Road. Bring it on.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 21 Jan 2012 19:31

FiNeRaIn

Thought it was fairly well implied in the one which said we should abandon our morals and start spending stupid amounts of money like everyone else.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 21 Jan 2012 19:38

Ian Royal Thought it was fairly well implied in the one which said we should abandon our morals and start spending stupid amounts of money like everyone else.

How does that equate to cheating exactly? We aren't breaking any rules.

Our morals have been our refusal to accept you need to spend money to compete with our competitors in recent years. We've suffered because of it and not been given one BIT of credit or reward for our efforts in our approach, not even the recognition of other fans or the FA for being a sound club setting a good standard in the football league for other clubs to follow.

Fvck it, I don't care what they think anymore. Fvck them all. We'll never get out of this division again unless we invest in our side and it looks like that time has come.

Muguire

by Muguire » 21 Jan 2012 19:38

Chronicle confident it is Anton Zingarevich.

THE man behind the proposed take over of Reading FC is Russian tycoon Anton Zingarevich.

The 29-year-old looks set to close a deal that would see his newly-founded company, Thames Sports Investments, acquire a 51 per cent stake in the Championship club.

Royals boss Brian McDermott flew to Milan to meet the club's prospective owners on Tuesday to discuss team rebuilding.

It is beieved McDermott was told his job is safe, and that money will be available to use in the transfer market.

A statement released by Reading FC today says the club expects the deal to be completed in March.

It continues: "The transaction, as agreed with Sir John Madejski, includes providing Reading Football Club with some limited funding now to enable Brian McDermott and Nick Hammond (direcor of football) to strengthen the playing squad during this January transfer window."

Reading are being strongly linked with a move for Blackburn's out-of-favour striker Jason Roberts.

Zingarevich was educated at a private school in the Reading area and went to Reading University. He then moved to New York to continue his university studies.

The take over will see Madejski remain as chairman of Reading until at least 2014, with a view to becoming life president when he decides to step down.

The Autotrader founder has been at the helm for 21 years, and built the stadium that bears his name.

Zingarevich's management consultants PWC are currently going through the process of due diligence which they expect to run smoothly.

The take over will Royals chief executive Nigel Howe remain in his position along with director of football Nicky Hammond.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 21 Jan 2012 19:44

FiNeRaIn
Ian Royal Thought it was fairly well implied in the one which said we should abandon our morals and start spending stupid amounts of money like everyone else.

How does that equate to cheating exactly? We aren't breaking any rules.

Our morals have been our refusal to accept you need to spend money to compete with our competitors in recent years. We've suffered because of it and not been given one BIT of credit or reward for our efforts in our approach, not even the recognition of other fans or the FA for being a sound club setting a good standard in the football league for other clubs to follow.

Fvck it, I don't care what they think anymore. Fvck them all. We'll never get out of this division again unless we invest in our side and it looks like that time has come.

I must have missed the part where the Premier League was the be all and end all....

5145 posts