CONFIMRED - Sean Morrison signs for Cardiff

597 posts
paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: CONFIMRED - Sean Morrison signs for Cardiff

by paultheroyal » 19 Aug 2014 10:21

Royal Lady How many other players leave and then give an interview a few days later. He didn't have to say anything at all.

He fears a Millsy!

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Morrison has GONE

by paultheroyal » 19 Aug 2014 10:25

SydenhamRoyal The really big question, which noone has yet addressed, is why this is still on the rumours and gossip page.

It will just be a merger at best!

Esteban

by Esteban » 19 Aug 2014 10:35

East Grinstead Royal Interviewed by Adrian Williams on BBRB, Sean suggests the deal had been accepted by Reading before he was even aware of Cardiff's interest.

No, he didn't. He said he was told on Wednesday evening that a bid had been put in and that he spoke to Adkins about it on Thursday. At that point, the deal had been agreed, but that does not mean that Reading wanted him out, or that he wanted to leave. He could have turned it down, if he really wanted to.

Read between the lines - his agent knew about the bid, his agent informed him of it and I strongly suspect his agent told Hammond that Morrison wanted to speak with Cardiff. I'm not sugesting his agent did anything wrong, he was protecting his client's interests. But it may not have got that far down the line without his agent's involvement.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Aug 2014 11:00

paultheroyal
SydenhamRoyal The really big question, which noone has yet addressed, is why this is still on the rumours and gossip page.

It will just be a merger at best!

Between Reading and Cardiff? Vincent and Robert Tan's barmy royal bluebirds?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Aug 2014 11:04

Big Foot
ayjaydee Just listened to Morro on BBCRB and the story he put was a bit different. He said the approach and bid was made to the club after OGS watched him at Wigan. The club confirmed the bid was acceptable and notified the player. He said it came out of the blue and that he was happy here.
Made all the right noises about what RFC have done for him and that he hopes we go up with Cardiff.

Sounds very plausible and good luck to him - makes Adkins looks rather silly for the white lie he told last week

To be fair though, Morrison changed his story a little during the interview as he did say at one point that he went into the managers office on Thursday morning but didn't say what he went in to say. He did say that he was told the bid was accepted on Wednesday night which isn't quite how Watt's piece in the Post positioned it.

I don't think Adkins had said to Watts that the club had turned down Cardiffs bid (which was apparently Wednesday night) just that Morrison went in to see him on the Thursday to say he wanted to go and speak to Cardiff and had said the same to Hammond.

Perhaps the reality was that the powers that be at the club accepted the bid on Wednesday night because it was too good to offer but Adkins was hoping Morrison would say he didn't want to go because he wanted to keep him. The conversation on the Thursday morning was Adkins telling him he wanted him to stay and Morrison saying he wanted to go and discuss terms. Charlie Watts, as a journalist trying to generate a story, puts Adkins comments in a different light by flowering the story up a bit to say Morrison was pushing for the bid to be accepted.

The key really is, if anyone is really bothered about it, is if the club had accepted the bid or if Morrison pushed them to accept it by saying he wanted to go once the interest was there.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 19 Aug 2014 11:21

Big Foot
leww_rfc Yeah I was thinking that, quite a cloudy reception awaiting his return to the Madejski you'd think.

Yeah, I bet he's shitting himself at the prospect of returning to 17,000 spastics in jester hats and wigs "booing" him :lol: :lol:

:lol:

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 19 Aug 2014 11:30

East Grinstead Royal Interviewed by Adrian Williams on BBRB, Sean suggests the deal had been accepted by Reading before he was even aware of Cardiff's interest.

To be fair that's probably true. Adkins knows only too well that Morrison and Pearce are very limited in their ability, and neither are comfortable in possession. To receive such an over-inflated fee, meaning 2-3 more new players can come in, well then it becomes a no brainer IMO!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 Aug 2014 11:50

Esteban

No, he didn't. He said he was told on Wednesday evening that a bid had been put in and that he spoke to Adkins about it on Thursday. At that point, the deal had been agreed, but that does not mean that Reading wanted him out, or that he wanted to leave. He could have turned it down, if he really wanted to.

Read between the lines - his agent knew about the bid, his agent informed him of it and I strongly suspect his agent told Hammond that Morrison wanted to speak with Cardiff. I'm not sugesting his agent did anything wrong, he was protecting his client's interests. But it may not have got that far down the line without his agent's involvement.

Spot on.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Aug 2014 12:03

Regardless of whatever happened. Cardiff seem happy they got their man. If they pair him up with the right sort of player, he might do well.

We have to be happy with that much money, and we can get someone else in. Plus we look more balanced with someone that complements Pearce's strengths.

Sold as seen. No refunds.

Good business all round. We move on.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 19 Aug 2014 13:27

You know there's nothing mutually exclusive in Adkins saying Morrison knocked on his door and said he'd like to speak to Cardiff an Morrison saying the club accepted the bid and told him about it, with it being news to him and him otherwise being happy to stay.

it works like this:
OGS: Hi Nick, we'd like to buy Sean Morrison, how does £x sound
NH: Hi, I couldn't let him go for less than £y.
OGS: what about, £3m rising to £4
NH: Well I'm cutting my own throat but ok.

NH: Hi Nige, Cardiff want Morro and they've met his 'value'.
NA: Ok Nick, let him know, we'll cope.

NH: Hi Sean, Cardiff want you, the bid's acceptable so its up to you. We'd like you to stay.
SM: Wow, cheers Nick, this is unexpected. I'm happy to stay. Can we look at my contract?
NH: No.
SM: Oh, ok.

SM: Hi Gaffer, I'd like to speak to Cardiff please.
NA: Ok Sean, it'd be disappointing to lose you.
SM: Can we look at my contract?
NA: No.

SM: Hi Ole, What are you offering me?
OGS: [REDACTED]
SM: How much! IN!!!!!

Martin41

by Martin41 » 19 Aug 2014 14:01

Does it really matter??
Cardiff got there man, and we got a good fee. Can we give it a rest now???

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 19 Aug 2014 14:08

Royal Lady How many other players leave and then give an interview a few days later. He didn't have to say anything at all.

Not many, but then he is good mates with Ade

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 19 Aug 2014 14:09

At least Morrison can now piss on the Welsh side of the bridge.

Extended-Phenotype
Hob Nob Addict

by Extended-Phenotype » 19 Aug 2014 14:45

Ian Royal You know there's nothing mutually exclusive in Adkins saying Morrison knocked on his door and said he'd like to speak to Cardiff an Morrison saying the club accepted the bid and told him about it, with it being news to him and him otherwise being happy to stay.

it works like this:
OGS: Hi Nick, we'd like to buy Sean Morrison, how does £x sound
NH: Hi, I couldn't let him go for less than £y.
OGS: what about, £3m rising to £4
NH: Well I'm cutting my own throat but ok.

NH: Hi Nige, Cardiff want Morro and they've met his 'value'.
NA: Ok Nick, let him know, we'll cope.

NH: Hi Sean, Cardiff want you, the bid's acceptable so its up to you. We'd like you to stay.
SM: Wow, cheers Nick, this is unexpected. I'm happy to stay. Can we look at my contract?
NH: No.
SM: Oh, ok.

SM: Hi Gaffer, I'd like to speak to Cardiff please.
NA: Ok Sean, it'd be disappointing to lose you.
SM: Can we look at my contract?
NA: No.

SM: Hi Ole, What are you offering me?
OGS: [REDACTED]
SM: How much! IN!!!!!

More like

OGS: Hi, we'd like to buy Se...
SJM: (ripping the phone out of NH's hand) DEAL. DEAL.

maffff
Hob Nob Addict

by maffff » 19 Aug 2014 14:55

More importantly;

1) Why would OGS be calling? Don't the welsh have their own Hammond?

2) Why didn't we throw in Kanu?

Tilehurstsouthbank
Hob Nob Regular

by Tilehurstsouthbank » 19 Aug 2014 16:11

maffff More importantly;

Why didn't we throw in Kanu?

:lol: Think we'd have received less!

Royal Biscuitman
Hob Nob Regular

by Royal Biscuitman » 19 Aug 2014 17:02

maffff 1) Why would OGS be calling? Don't the welsh have their own Hammond?
It's hard enough to understand the English Hammond never mind one with a Welsh accent.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 19 Aug 2014 19:48

Well pleased with this bit of business tbh. Morrison is pretty overrated and has got worse over the last year, Hector is already a better player and is only going to get better. Pearce also often looked better without him. I think Pearce and Hector is a good CB partnership, hopefully Ferdinand's experience will mean he is decent back up option and will help them both especially at this level.

Also IMO if the rumoured £3-4m fee for Morrison is true, there is now no excuse for not bringing a couple more decent players before the end of the window. I'd say a striker and versatile defensive midfielder are whats needed most.

Simon's Church
Hob Nob Regular

by Simon's Church » 19 Aug 2014 23:01

Clean sheet on debut.

Well done Sean!

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 20 Aug 2014 09:50

Lots of good comments on Twatter about him too from everything I've seen retweeted by maff

597 posts