The squad in July

644 posts
The Royal Forester
Hob Nob Regular

Re: The squad in July

by The Royal Forester » 19 Jul 2023 13:34

Sanguine Surely the solution on loan agreements is to ban a stipulation that a loan player always plays if fit, but at the same time given the loaning club power of recall if that player isn't involved (say) 50% of the time that he is.

Would the PL and the EFL be able to come to an agreement though? One would want their player to play all the time, whilst the other only wants him to play only when their own player(s) is not up to scratch, or injured. The recall may help to lessen that problem a bit. Their would have to be a set number of games to make it count, otherwise if a player if a does not start in the first two games the parent club could in theory recall the loaned player. Would the two parties, either the clubs or the PL/EFL be able to agree?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 19 Jul 2023 13:38

The Royal Forester
Sanguine Surely the solution on loan agreements is to ban a stipulation that a loan player always plays if fit, but at the same time given the loaning club power of recall if that player isn't involved (say) 50% of the time that he is.

Would the PL and the EFL be able to come to an agreement though? One would want their player to play all the time, whilst the other only wants him to play only when their own player(s) is not up to scratch, or injured. The recall may help to lessen that problem a bit. Their would have to be a set number of games to make it count, otherwise if a player if a does not start in the first two games the parent club could in theory recall the loaned player. Would the two parties, either the clubs or the PL/EFL be able to agree?

I mean a) I don't think the EFL would do this, but b) I think it would be up to the EFL to determine the framework. I'd suggest something like, if at the mid-point of a loan agreement, the player hasn't been involved in 50% of games when fit, the loaning club should have right of recall at any subsequent point in the agreement. 'If fit' is the subjective part of the equation though, as we've seen with RFC.

But we absolutely shouldn't be taking on loan players that we have to play every week, if indeed that has been the case.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 19 Jul 2023 14:47

Sanguine
The Royal Forester

I mean a) I don't think the EFL would do this, but b) I think it would be up to the EFL to determine the framework. I'd suggest something like, if at the mid-point of a loan agreement, the player hasn't been involved in 50% of games when fit, the loaning club should have right of recall at any subsequent point in the agreement. 'If fit' is the subjective part of the equation though, as we've seen with RFC.

But we absolutely shouldn't be taking on loan players that we have to play every week, if indeed that has been the case.

Define "involved" - does bring a player on as an 89th minute sub qualify as "involved"? Not trying to be clever, just pointing out how difficult it is to codify things like this - someone will always be looking for a loophole.

I remember when we have Matty Upson on loan and while he was not playing League games for a couple of weeks the club was getting lots of stick from Arsenal.

But this puts a different perspective on it : https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/matthew-upson-recalls-reading-fc-22493054

Pards obviously did the right thing for us, Arsenal and Upson, but it probably didn't look like that at the time to Arsenal, and would perhaps have failed some kind of hard and fast rule.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jul 2023 16:39

Hound Casadei, whilst clearly a good player, didn’t really help us much though did he? One goal and no assists in 15 games. I’m guessing we didn’t win any of those either.

Didn’t help us control games, didn’t help us be more creative, midfield was still weak with him in it

None of that means he won’t end up being a top player but his impact was very minimal

He contributed more than Jeff tbf.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jul 2023 17:09

Snowflake Royal
Hound Casadei, whilst clearly a good player, didn’t really help us much though did he? One goal and no assists in 15 games. I’m guessing we didn’t win any of those either.

Didn’t help us control games, didn’t help us be more creative, midfield was still weak with him in it

None of that means he won’t end up being a top player but his impact was very minimal

Talk about low bar…

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 19 Jul 2023 17:16

Hound
Snowflake Royal

Talk about low bar…

Who was an upgrade on Drinkwater :wink:

Clyde1998
Hob Nob Regular

by Clyde1998 » 19 Jul 2023 17:50

So with Mbengue in our first-team squad is currently (likely to be):

GKs: Andresson; Bouzanis; CBC (tbc)
RBs: Yiadom; Abrefa
LBs: NGW; John Clarke
CBs: Holmes, Mbengue, McIntyre, Dorsett/Abbey
CMs/DMs: Hutchinson; Craig; Senga
AMs/WMs: Azeez; Camara; Ejaria; Knibbs; Hoilett (tbc)
STs: Carroll; Ehib; Smith; Jahmari Clark (tbc)

Certainly still need at least two CMs (Amos and/or Adeniran would definitely be first team level), other positions really depend on how close the younger players are determined to be from League One football. I think 3-6 more players, not including the players we haven't announced contract extensions for, will be needed for a play-off push.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 19 Jul 2023 18:09

Jahmari is under contract just injured

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 19 Jul 2023 18:15

Clyde1998 So with Mbengue in our first-team squad is currently (likely to be):

GKs: Andresson; Bouzanis; CBC (tbc)
RBs: Yiadom; Abrefa
LBs: NGW; John Clarke
CBs: Holmes, Mbengue, McIntyre, Dorsett/Abbey
CMs/DMs: Hutchinson; Craig; Senga
AMs/WMs: Azeez; Camara; Ejaria; Knibbs; Hoilett (tbc)
STs: Carroll; Ehib; Smith; Jahmari Clark (tbc)

Certainly still need at least two CMs (Amos and/or Adeniran would definitely be first team level), other positions really depend on how close the younger players are determined to be from League One football. I think 3-6 more players, not including the players we haven't announced contract extensions for, will be needed for a play-off push.

Mbengue was originally signed as a CM. Will be interesting to see if he features there.

TiagoIlori

by TiagoIlori » 19 Jul 2023 23:30

A solid but unspectacular season awaits given the squad we have right now I think. Fear it’s too late in pre season for Selles to work with a squad properly so I hope unless he’s doing particularly badly that he is given time.

Royal Ginger
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal Ginger » 20 Jul 2023 06:51

TiagoIlori A solid but unspectacular season awaits given the squad we have right now I think. Fear it’s too late in pre season for Selles to work with a squad properly so I hope unless he’s doing particularly badly that he is given time.

I think we’re still very much relegation fodder as of right now. It’s been a nice couple of days but the squad still has under 12s as backups for some positions. Push on like this for another week or so and we may get to unspectacular and solid but I feel we’re a way off that yet.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2023 08:06

I think we look fairly strong. Obvs need another set of players in but upper mid at the moment

The u23s we have are absolutely fine as back up. They are 20/21 not 17

Selles will have been working with the squad for ages

WestYorksRoyal
Hob Nob Addict

by WestYorksRoyal » 20 Jul 2023 08:42

I think with a week to go, we should reassess expectations based upon who comes through the door before then. But, right now, I see us building a team that can improve together and put in some performances to bring the feel good factor back. I'm not expecting an instant return to the Championship, but I could see a 3 year cycle and ultimately a promotion with a team ready to take to the Championship, as we saw in 2002.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jul 2023 08:53

We are certainly in a position now where we can rule out any talk of League 1 relegation next season, as it is we have a squad capable of finishing top half. With 5 or 6 more additions we will be title contenders.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 20 Jul 2023 09:01

We will be in and around the play off positions I think. A few more signings need to be made, especially in the middle of the park, but we will be ok. Might take us a bit to get going, or for what it's worth we might get off to a blinding start, we just don't know yet.

Ultimately depends how many players we still end up bringing in. We will be a fair way into the season by the time the window shuts, so still plenty of time to see who comes, who goes etc. Judging by Selles' comments though, we still need a number of players to come in.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 20 Jul 2023 09:50

Hound I think we look fairly strong. Obvs need another set of players in but upper mid at the moment

Not convinced on that last bit. If I was him there's no way I'd have been working for free.

Couldn't be given a contract or paid.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 20 Jul 2023 09:57

Snowflake Royal
Hound I think we look fairly strong. Obvs need another set of players in but upper mid at the moment

Not convinced on that last bit. If I was him there's no way I'd have been working for free.

Couldn't be given a contract or paid.

He was at training at Bearwood and in Spain. So at least 3-4 weeks

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 20 Jul 2023 10:04

The smell of BO and virginity at this event will be off the charts.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2023/j ... -sale-now/

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 20 Jul 2023 10:19

NathStPaul The smell of BO and virginity at this event will be off the charts.

https://www.readingfc.co.uk/news/2023/j ... -sale-now/

What's the betting, an evening with the Hoosiers and Sam Smith?

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 20 Jul 2023 10:23

I am reliably informed the special guest is Jordon Mutch

644 posts