Madejski's Wallet - Is It Our Business?

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

Re: Madejski's Wallet - Is It Our Business?

by Row Z Royal » 30 Aug 2010 19:07

roadrunner
Finch
roadrunner
If you look at my post count you'll realise I don't post often.

Yet still to much.

too

RIP SPACEY

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 30 Aug 2010 19:39

If the daft old coot had not taken the club over from Smee, someone else would have done. Get over this faux hero worship, get the DOC to sell the club so that everyone can move on.

REAL FACTSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Yorkshire Royal

by Yorkshire Royal » 30 Aug 2010 19:51

Finch
joe999 Alright then so if MADEJSKI, in some strange world, threw 400 billion pounds at the club, we wouldn't go up? thats wrong. Money gets you success sadly. Doesn't matter who's throwing it, just needs someone who can throw.

But Madejski hasn't got it, you are whinging because he's not investing, but he has no money to invest compared with the big players so what's the point?

And no one with that sort of money is going to buy RFC. Why would they when there are plenty more attractive clubs?

Your arguments are just like you Joey, a joke.

^^This...

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 31 Aug 2010 20:17

Yes his wallet is out business because we're the ones who feed it.

HTH

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 31 Aug 2010 20:19

2 world wars, 1 world cup Yes his wallet is out business because we're the ones who feed it.

HTH

Yeah, okay.

marekisgod

by marekisgod » 31 Aug 2010 20:27

At last someone who realises that JM makes OUR football the most important thing over players etc . We really wouldnt be anywhere without him and he could sell us cheaply and sod off but he doesnt becuase he has our best interests at heart .
We would all be alot worse off and more miserable if we didnt have a football to support , ( I give you CHester City) !!!!!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 31 Aug 2010 20:53

When the daft old coot took over, he was pumping between £25k and £40k to keep the club alive. He succeeded and for that I am grateful. However, my take is that he sees no reason why he should continue to subsidise the football club and that the club should stand on its own financial feet and be self financing. Hence the £4m shortfall predicted at the start of this season and the need for high earners to go (Cisse, Matejovsky) and to reduce the wage bill further (Henry).

As reported elsewhere on HNA? the suggestion is that the likes of Long, Feds, MacAnuff and Gylfi have been prostituted to all comers in an attempt to generate further capital into the coffers. Well, Gylfi has gone.

This leaves us with a Chairman who has no interest in financially supporting the club any more. What use is that to the football club? Football is a strange commodity insomuch that very few clubs are run profitably. There has always been a need for a wealthy benefactor to provide funds in order that clubs can compete. What the Chairman has done is to remove Reading FC's ability to be competitive. This course of action will only end one way and that will be with relegation from the Championship.

We got lucky last season with the removal of BR and BMcD's acquisition of Zurab and Griff. I would not be in the least surprised if, come the January transfer window, we are in the mire that all of a sudden 2 or 3 loan signings appear in a vain attempt to keep us in this division.

I make no bones about this. In the 1980s and 1990s, the Chairman kept the club going. But now he is letting it die and the sale of Gylfi coupled with the underwhelming incomings of a 33 year old League 1 full back and a Georgian international that no-one else in Europe wanted to touch simply confirms this approach.

Sir John Madeski. Your time has been and gone. Please do the honourable thing and sell the club now to someone who wants to take the club forward. We do not want to stagnate any more.

Finch

by Finch » 04 Sep 2010 13:40

Terminal Boardom Please do the honourable thing and sell the club now to someone who wants to take the club forward. We do not want to stagnate any more.

No one wants RFC!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can't sell if no one wants to buy.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 04 Sep 2010 14:05

Terminal Boardom When the daft old coot took over, he was pumping between £25k and £40k to keep the club alive. He succeeded and for that I am grateful. However, my take is that he sees no reason why he should continue to subsidise the football club and that the club should stand on its own financial feet and be self financing. Hence the £4m shortfall predicted at the start of this season and the need for high earners to go (Cisse, Matejovsky) and to reduce the wage bill further (Henry).

As reported elsewhere on HNA? the suggestion is that the likes of Long, Feds, MacAnuff and Gylfi have been prostituted to all comers in an attempt to generate further capital into the coffers. Well, Gylfi has gone.

This leaves us with a Chairman who has no interest in financially supporting the club any more. What use is that to the football club? Football is a strange commodity insomuch that very few clubs are run profitably. There has always been a need for a wealthy benefactor to provide funds in order that clubs can compete. What the Chairman has done is to remove Reading FC's ability to be competitive. This course of action will only end one way and that will be with relegation from the Championship.

We got lucky last season with the removal of BR and BMcD's acquisition of Zurab and Griff. I would not be in the least surprised if, come the January transfer window, we are in the mire that all of a sudden 2 or 3 loan signings appear in a vain attempt to keep us in this division.

I make no bones about this. In the 1980s and 1990s, the Chairman kept the club going. But now he is letting it die and the sale of Gylfi coupled with the underwhelming incomings of a 33 year old League 1 full back and a Georgian international that no-one else in Europe wanted to touch simply confirms this approach.

Sir John Madeski. Your time has been and gone. Please do the honourable thing and sell the club now to someone who wants to take the club forward. We do not want to stagnate any more.

Good post I agree.

As any good businessman though he's holding out for a good enough offer for the club.

Is he being too greedy and unfair on Reading fans by not letting it go for a competitive sum?

Or does he have the right to hold on and leave us in limbo for as long as he wishes because of all he's done for the club?

I jump back and forth with my opinions largely because I can see both points of view. At the moment I want him out asap, but a lot of that is a knee-jerk reaction to bottling it since the second Prem season. On the other hand I want him to have the chance to leave gracefully with a deal he's happy with, and a lot of that is because I've met the guy and like him very much and like what he did for us in the past.

There is no right or wrong.

Except for the unforgivable stance of believing he's the absolute saviour of the club for all time, nothing is ever ever ever his fault and he is not trying to line his pockets in the meantime. That's just being blind.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 04 Sep 2010 14:57

Finch
Terminal Boardom Please do the honourable thing and sell the club now to someone who wants to take the club forward. We do not want to stagnate any more.

No one wants RFC!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can't sell if no one wants to buy at the ridiculously over-inflated price Mr Mad is allegedly demanding .

westendgirl

by westendgirl » 04 Sep 2010 18:41

Terminal Boardom

So everything eported on HNA? is always the truth eh?

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 04 Sep 2010 18:48

westendgirl
Terminal Boardom

Likewise absolutely everything that is said by people from the club is 100% kosher?
When you get older (and wiser??? :wink: ) I suspect that your one-sided view might falter a little.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Sep 2010 22:11

Victor Meldrew
westendgirl
Terminal Boardom

Likewise absolutely everything that is said by people from the club is 100% kosher?
When you get older (and wiser??? :wink: ) I suspect that your one-sided view might falter a little.

surely they were trying to prostitute those others specifically so we could keep gylfi.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 05 Sep 2010 16:16

Terminal Boardom When the daft old coot took over, he was pumping between £25k and £40k to keep the club alive. He succeeded and for that I am grateful. However, my take is that he sees no reason why he should continue to subsidise the football club and that the club should stand on its own financial feet and be self financing. Hence the £4m shortfall predicted at the start of this season and the need for high earners to go (Cisse, Matejovsky) and to reduce the wage bill further (Henry).

I have to concede that there are some decent arguments in there, but as I come from the school of thought, like Madejski, that football should be self financing and that rich owners pumping money into clubs should be banned (or at the very least controlled) then i cannot agree with much of it.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Sep 2010 18:53

Victor Meldrew
westendgirl
Terminal Boardom

To be quite frank, I'd trust David Icke's comments about world government before the views of most of the resident soap-box ranters on this board.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Sep 2010 20:50

Wycombe Royal

I have to concede that there are some decent arguments in there, but as I come from the school of thought, like Madejski, that football should be self financing and that rich owners pumping money into clubs should be banned (or at the very least controlled) then i cannot agree with much of it.

And you, like Madejski are likely to go to your graves still wishing for that scenario. As Madejski knows full well himself (and might even have used to his advantage himself) big money talks and influences. Will the PL and FA be prepared to put principles ahead of Murdoch and the wealthy chairmen's money? I somehow doubt it. That is what makes Madejski's stand so arrogant (if he really believes he can buck the trend alone)/futile.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 05 Sep 2010 20:59

But the other side of the argument is that if everyone embraces the "throw-money at the problem" approach (as you seem to want) then oblivion for 90% of the game is the only possible result.

Only a limited number of teams can actually have success, no matter how many teams are throwing ever-increasing sums of money at chasing that success.

So the money doesn't guarantee success, and it just becomes a battle of who has the deepest pockets and blinks last when signing cheques.

For me at least that' a truly horrible spectre, with a truly horrible end-result for the game and for the vast majority of clubs. And we've seen enough casualties from those who have tried it, already.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 05 Sep 2010 21:34

The days of the likes of Ipswich and Nottngham Forest getting promoted to the top flight then winning the title are long gone. Football HAS changed. The great Satan Murdoch has seen to that and while everyone of us continues to support the Great God Sky Sports HD then the more that it will continue. Which clubs these days have a realistic chance of winning the Premier League? Chelsea? Man City? Man Utd? Anyone else? And why is this?

SJM is fully entitled to go on a crusade of making Reading FC self sufficient. However, if the competition within this division continue to provide funds for managers to spend then how can Reading FC be expected to compete? You can not expect to move forward if every season a star player is sold. There is really only one way for the club to move if this is the shape of things to come.

Svlad Cjelli
Hob Nob Regular
Location: It's the Premier LEAGUE, you cretins. The Premiership hasn't existed for years.

by Svlad Cjelli » 05 Sep 2010 21:51

Only if the objective is to try and compete in the football rat-race.

How about if the objective is to maintain a football club appropriate to the size of the town and the size of it's support, and let it grow it gradually, watching the competition crash and burn, waiting for the financial readjustment to come (for instance proper financial governance rules that forbid debt) and knowing that every now and then that a Coppell and continuity will build a team that will have some success.

It's only the supporters - and mainly the younger ones (often brought up on Soccer AM and Championship Manager and instant gratification) - who demand success and demand it NOW!!!!!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 05 Sep 2010 22:45

Svlad Cjelli Only if the objective is to try and compete in the football rat-race.

How about if the objective is to maintain a football club appropriate to the size of the town and the size of it's support, and let it grow it gradually, watching the competition crash and burn, waiting for the financial readjustment to come (for instance proper financial governance rules that forbid debt) and knowing that every now and then that a Coppell and continuity will build a team that will have some success.

It's only the supporters - and mainly the younger ones (often brought up on Soccer AM and Championship Manager and instant gratification) - who demand success and demand it NOW!!!!!

But the whole point is that we are not competitive. At least in the dark days of the 1970s and 1980s there was always the hope rather than the expectation and sometimes I wish those days were still here. Now we have a chairman who has taken us up but has now rapidly lost interest. Supporters have tasted the big time and want some more - understandable really. Me? I want to see the club be competitive but while this chairman refuses to put money into the club then why the oxf*rd should I?