Back from the game Stevenage

121 posts
Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Back from the game Stevenage

by Maguire » 30 Jan 2011 14:32

floyd__streete Looked a stonewall pen to me, seen it again since. The guy beats Ingi all ends up and goes over Ingi's flailng leg. Pen

I was screaming "diving pcunt" at him at the time and the relays only underline this for me. Never, ever a penalty.

Terrible game though, I can agree on that.

heathrow royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: As seen on Soccer AM and somewhere between Heathrow and Southampton airport!!!

by heathrow royal » 30 Jan 2011 14:35

NR_Royal Judging from the stream:
Robson-Kanu managed to impress me tbh, although I would have rather seen Antonio and McAnuff on the wings from the start.

Although I agree with your point with Antonio starting, hrk was poor yesterday and I have to agree with floyds comment about him not even making the stevenage side. I honestly don't know what Brian McDermott see's in training if he continues to put in lacklustre efforts when given the chance

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Jan 2011 14:39

Mills standards are so low he's in the league's 4th best defence. I'm sure this constant unwarranted criticism of him has nothing to do with what happened on the 16 March 2010. As I said on the Doncaster match thread he's doing fine.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 30 Jan 2011 14:53

sandman Mills standards are so low he's in the league's 4th best defence. I'm sure this constant unwarranted criticism of him has nothing to do with what happened on the 16 March 2010. As I said on the Doncaster match thread he's doing fine.

I don't really care about Mills two-fingered salute last season, it did show his true colours though as a rather arrogant thug. I guess I expect more from a 2 million pound player than sliced clearances and consistently poor positioning.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 30 Jan 2011 15:11

floyd__streete Looked a stonewall pen to me, seen it again since. The guy beats Ingi all ends up and goes over Ingi's flailng leg. Pen.

Poor, poor performance in a dreadful game of football and we're really fortunate to be in the draw today. We seemed to get dragged down into a physical, long ball fest and we had precious little quality to raise our head above the parapet of mediocrity on display. Thankfully, we do have some genuine quality in McAnuff who produced our one decent cross of the game and Long in this form won't waste a chance like that, bundled home and we're through. Some really lame performers for Reading; Karacan gives the ball away like it is going out of fashion, Church poses absolutely no threat in front of goal these days sadly and HRK probably wouldn't get in the Stevenage team on that evidence yesterday. Mills had a marginally improved performance on his recent low standards, although he was on the backfoot again for their goal. Fair play to Reading - we played poorly but McD's side always seems to have this resilience.

C'mon Floyd, cant agree with much of that.

Mills recent poor standards? Him and Pearce have been our best players in our recent run. Can't believe ive just said that about Pearce!

Never, ever was it a pen. I thought it was from my great vantage point in row b smack behind the goal but replays show it was a clear dive. No contact at all.

And i thought it was a good performance which we were clearly the better team for 80 of the 90 mins. Short of not being clinical enough at 1 0 it was a very professional performance in which we restricted them to 3 chances the whole game, all in a short spell.

It wasnt the best of games, but thats because our tactics and attitude were spot on for a game like this.

Church however is going backwards quicker than an Italian on the frontline. He doesnt look in the best frame of mind to me, but in the last year or so hes lost his dad and his joined at the hip mate Gylfi has moved on, could be a factor.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 30 Jan 2011 15:16

RoyalBlue
biscuitman I'm sure when we sang 'We've got one stand louder to you're ground' to Man United fans they cried home and thought we were arrogant. It's banter for god sake. Are you really going to dissect every chant that happens in football royalblue?? What did you think about the Stacy song yesterday?

But, for the hard of hearing, it wasn't one stand louder that was being sung yesterday (at least in our section of the stand). It was one stand bigger than your ground. To my mind that its unnecessary arrogance of the type that many of our own support have grumbled about in the past when directed at us.

And there's banter and banter isn't there. Some is funny, some so-called 'banter' is bang out of order, although I'm sure some having a go at a female linesman purely on the grounds of her sex might claim it was still just banter! Of course, the stand song isn't in that league but I still hold the view it has tones of arrogance when directed at a club like Stevenage (as do descriptions of their ground being crap, whereas 'my garden shed' sung at Watford doesn't.

And no I'm not going to dissect every chant - that's a pretty dumb argument to advance when I have only mentioned this one. As for the Stacey song, we started that in our section, so I think you have your answer.

Agreed Blue.
I thought the chant to Laird was good but to mock the ground of a club that a couple of years ago was non-league strikes me as naff.
I bet those who were doing that are the first to start bleating when a big club comes to our place and starts chanting "You've never won f*** all".
One other afterthought, Shane you are overdoing the diving.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Jan 2011 15:45

Punching a woman in the face, hit and runs, smashing people over the head with bottles, beating up asian students, mocking American tourists after 9/11 and cheating on your pregnant wife with pro's are all far greater pointers to moronic thuggish footballers than 1 finger saluting a bunch of moaning pc*nts in the east stand who think they're hard and who have done far worse in the past including booing their own players.

Mills wasn't worth £2 million but he didn't set the fee Doncaster did. He was colossal against Hull - last minute tackle at the end was superb - and is playing at a perfectly fine standard this year which as we (hopefully) march to a Play-Off position will further improve in the final months of the season.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 30 Jan 2011 15:49

sandman He was colossal against Hull - last minute tackle at the end was superb

A tackle he had to make because he let his man get the wrong side of him. Mills has been consistently outperformed by a lad from the Academy this season, Mr Pearce.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Jan 2011 15:56

floyd__streete
sandman He was colossal against Hull - last minute tackle at the end was superb

A tackle he had to make because he let his man get the wrong side of him. Mills has been consistently outperformed by a lad from the Academy this season, Mr Pearce.

Mr Pearce, who, I seem to remember was also abused by many as useless. I guess, now people can't moan about Pearce or Long and Howard's not in the team you've moved on to Mills.
Last edited by sandman on 30 Jan 2011 18:39, edited 1 time in total.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 30 Jan 2011 16:00

sandman Mr Pearce who, I seem to remember was also abused by many as useless. I guess, now people can't moan about Pearce or Long and Howard's not in the team you've moved on to Mills.

Your holier than thou attitude is f*cking tiresome. I'd take Howard in the team over Karacan any day, as it happens.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Jan 2011 16:03

floyd__streete
sandman Mr Pearce who, I seem to remember was also abused by many as useless. I guess, now people can't moan about Pearce or Long and Howard's not in the team you've moved on to Mills.

Your holier than thou attitude is f*cking tiresome. I'd take Howard in the team over Karacan any day, as it happens.

And now you're getting abusive. You call Mills a thug for giving the east the middle finger and then start swearing at me.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 30 Jan 2011 16:09

sandman And now you're getting abusive. You call Mills a thug for giving the east the middle finger and then start swearing at me.

As I said, holier than thou. Perhaps a bit unfair to call Mills a thug for his actions.....ignorant chav would have sufficed.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Jan 2011 16:12

floyd__streete
sandman And now you're getting abusive. You call Mills a thug for giving the east the middle finger and then start swearing at me.

As I said, holier than thou. Perhaps a bit unfair to call Mills a thug for his actions.....ignorant chav would have sufficed.

I'm not being holier than thou. I can see how you're confusing greatness with a holier than thou attitude. I had no choice when it came to being great. I just am great. I'm not trying to sound cocky or full of myself, but I have a sneaking suspicion that no matter what comes my way I will always be great. Because that's just the way sh1t works sometimes and there's no point in you bitching and moaning about it.
Last edited by sandman on 30 Jan 2011 18:38, edited 3 times in total.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 30 Jan 2011 16:56

View from the North Terrace

parky
Hob Nob Regular

by parky » 30 Jan 2011 17:10

Wheyy, spotted myself in the grey hood in the third picture, reading fans in that end must have been really conspicuous.

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 30 Jan 2011 17:12

parky Wheyy, spotted myself in the grey hood in the third picture, reading fans in that end must have been really conspicuous.

I just kept my mouth shut and tried my best to enjoy the game through the cold.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 30 Jan 2011 17:20

RoyalBlue
Wycombe Royal
RoyalBlue e.g. 'We've got one stand bigger than your ground', whilst vaguely amusing does show complete disregard for our roots.

It's just banter, nothing more, nothing less.

It its banter taking the p*ss out of the standard of their facilities that are still better than ours were not that long ago.

When really big teams did (do?) it to us, there were lots of our supporters that understandably regarded it as arrogance.

Oh yes I forgot, you can't have a totally inoffensive laugh about anything can you any more in case some poor little chap gets all upset and claims his human rights have been infringed and/or writes to the Daily Mail. :roll:

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 30 Jan 2011 17:23

sandman
floyd__streete

I'm not being holier than thou. I can see how you're confusing greatness with a holier than thou attitude I had no choice when it came to being great. I just am great. I'm not trying to sound cocky or full of myself, but I have a sneaking suspicion that no matter what comes my way I will always be great. Because that's just the way sh1t works sometimesand there's no point in you bitching and moaning about it.

^ Very good .Made me :lol: .Do agree with F S though.

sandman
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by sandman » 30 Jan 2011 17:54

Well good for you. You're associating yourself with mediocrity but I can respect your opinion even if it is the wrong one. I can take criticisms even from normal people like youself.I'm a bulletproof tiger, dude! Words can't hurt me.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 30 Jan 2011 17:59

Wycombe Royal
RoyalBlue e.g. 'We've got one stand bigger than your ground', whilst vaguely amusing does show complete disregard for our roots.

It's just banter, nothing more, nothing less.

No. It is not banter. It is patronising bullshit.

121 posts