FA Youth Cup game v West Brom

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

Re: FA Youth Cup game v West Brom

by ZacNaloen » 19 Jan 2012 12:50

Matt Partridge looked too good a footballer (excellent vision and passing etc) to be a CB but not tall enough for that role also, I can see him either ending up in midfield or as a full back. He definitely has potential so will be interesting to see where he ends up.

What was the handbags about after the final whistle, I missed what kicked Webb off (another who impressed me as a defensive midfielder)?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Jan 2012 13:04

Josh Webb - is he Neil Jnr?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Jan 2012 13:08

If playing a succession of pretty needless hollywood passes into the corners or to the fullbacks make you a good footballer then I'd agree Zac. He doesn't look quite big enough to be a centre half though, but he did have a decent touch.

Not sure I'd agree he showed great vision though. I thought it was like watching Matt Mills at times, trying a little too hard to do something pretty with it. It was a big game for them though so perhaps that's understandable as they all would've been wanting to impress.

Didn't see anything develop after the game either.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 19 Jan 2012 16:06

Josh Webb had to be pulled away and calmed down by Eamonn, one of the kids behind me was shouting at him to "bash the guy" so something was going on.

Hollywood passes is harsh, they went where they were intended and weren't necessarily the obvious pass, but all of them got the ball into space where the receiver could do something with it. I'd consider that to be good vision and passing. They weren't matt mills hoofs up the field.
All of them looked over eager to impress, I 'd agree that the occasion got the better of them as well.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 Jan 2012 16:17

Can't help but feel that the club slightly over did the build up. If they'd scored in those dominant first 10 minutes I imagine they'd have played much better, but going 2-0 behind in front of 1400 fans... Well it's no wonder that some of them probably didn't play to their full potential. Most of them are only 16/17.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 19 Jan 2012 17:09

winchester_royal Can't help but feel that the club slightly over did the build up. If they'd scored in those dominant first 10 minutes I imagine they'd have played much better, but going 2-0 behind in front of 1400 fans... Well it's no wonder that some of them probably didn't play to their full potential. Most of them are only 16/17.

What was the deal with the build up? Can barely recall them mentioning such games in the past.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 19 Jan 2012 17:13

Barry the bird boggler Josh Webb - is he Neil Jnr?

Strangely Neil Webb's son Josh Webb was in the Academy a few seasons ago and now plays for Walton and Hersham. His other son plays at Hereford and his third son is aged about 8 - so I assume, therefore, that this must be a namesake who is unrelated.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 19 Jan 2012 17:22

Barry the bird boggler wrote:
Josh Webb - is he Neil Jnr?

Strangely Neil Webb's son Josh Webb was in the Academy a few seasons ago and now plays for Walton and Hersham. His other son plays at Hereford and his third son is aged about 8 - so I assume, therefore, that this must be a namesake who is unrelated.

No relation to Neil Webb at all.

Josh Webb is a Sandhurst lad.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 19 Jan 2012 17:26

moo
winchester_royal Can't help but feel that the club slightly over did the build up. If they'd scored in those dominant first 10 minutes I imagine they'd have played much better, but going 2-0 behind in front of 1400 fans... Well it's no wonder that some of them probably didn't play to their full potential. Most of them are only 16/17.

What was the deal with the build up? Can barely recall them mentioning such games in the past.

I think it was to do with the spazmoid in charge of RFC communications getting a little giddy with himself. The growth of twitter in the last year was also a factor I imagine.

Plus I do think the club are very excited about this particular academy intake, so wanted to show them off a bit.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 19 Jan 2012 17:45

Dealing with pressure and expectation is also a big part of making it so it may even be a conscious thing, although I doubt it.

They have done a bit to build these up in the past, but probably not quite as much as this time around.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 19 Jan 2012 18:16

ZacNaloen Matt Partridge looked too good a footballer (excellent vision and passing etc) to be a CB but not tall enough for that role

Both centre backs were good on the ball and Partridge took a good free kick. I'm not sure Partridge is too short, I think it was just that Cooper is massive and we have quite a big side (Tanner apart). I think he's in the Pearce/Ingimarsson height bracket with Cooper being the biggest player we've had for several years.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 19 Jan 2012 18:18

Are any of these players Reading lads?

Wimb
Hob Nob Regular

by Wimb » 19 Jan 2012 18:26

Few thoughts on the game up on The Tilehurst End now

http://thetilehurstend.wordpress.com/20 ... he-future/