Re: Matthew Connolly Signs

by M-U-R-T-Y » 31 Jan 2012 12:02

Keith Andrews, sign him up.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2012 12:02

FiNeRaIn
tomrfcurz Cywka is a good signing but if that is the only attacking minded midfield signing then i can't help but be a tad disappointed. Yes Roberts is a good signing, perhaps the best thus far, followed by Connolly who you just have to look at his QPR starts at his age (104 i believe) and at the level that was at (mainly in a very strong Championship side) you cannot grumble. I think he'll go at LB as i can't see him wanting to join too much if it was purely as cover.

We need another attacking minded player, simple as. And i will be disappointed if we don't have one by 11pm tonight. I know that reeks of a spoilt child using mummy and daddys money to excess but its the truth

agreed. Someone who derby were happy to let go on a free won't solve our creativity problem instantly.

but i'd hes already better than howard so we have got better in that department, shirley?

also- players released by other clubs =/= shit
especially when its clear there was a personal problem between player and manager
Last edited by melonhead on 31 Jan 2012 12:03, edited 1 time in total.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 31 Jan 2012 12:03

melonhead
id say my assessment of him as being decent over ten minutes is about as good as yours saying hes rubbish.

I've never stated I thought he was rubbish. He might be a versatile option for the squad or backup. However its massively unlikely that someone who failed to prove themselves at derby who had been woeful the last few years is going to come in and create the chances we are lacking. Get Andrews in, no excuses IMO.

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 31 Jan 2012 12:03

melonhead
id say my assessment of him as being decent over ten minutes is about as good as yours saying hes rubbish.

I've never stated I thought he was rubbish. He might be a versatile option for the squad or backup. However its massively unlikely that someone who failed to prove themselves at derby who had been woeful the last few years is going to come in and create the chances we are lacking. Get Andrews in, no excuses IMO.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 31 Jan 2012 12:04

:lol: :lol: :lol:

you know as much about him as me.
and whether you say he rubbish, or only good as back up
your opinion is worth very little. just like mine

stop talking like youre the don of football management

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 31 Jan 2012 12:05

FiNeRaIn
chilipepper91 http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~2594892,00.html

Looks like that could be it for today...

Not impressed if true. Not particularly motivated to go and watch this current bunch with the one dimensional players lacking creativity on show. Yeah, im negative bla bla bla. But its absolute dross every week at the moment and a young unproven centre mid who derby were happy to let go on a free is not going to change the rhythm for our games, especially when on the bench. Connolly is a good backup signing, he may also play left back but thats not where we are struggling. Our back five is the most solid aspect about out team - the biggest weakness is the midfield by far and the one addition we've added there is NOWHERE near enough im afraid. Happy with roberts signings but lets be honest..he's not going to creative his own through balls and nod in his own crosses from the wing, why can't the management see the obvious weakness and one dimensional play of our midfield? Its really, really worrying.

Let's try a different perspective. Last season we roared into the play-offs after a shoddy start, and were defo worth a top six place. Yes we lost Kish, Mills, and Long but:

We've got Gorkks (excellent so far and has really improved Pearce)
Jason Roberts (who you'd think can outscore our other strikers if not perhaps to the extent of Long)
Kebe to sign a new contract
Cummings playing better than Griffin did last season
ALF who's a tidy little finished and may yet come good

And we're sat fourth in the league already.

I think next season is more likely to see a concerted challenge for promotion, but we've got a shot this year. Need Leigertwood back of course but cheer up FFS.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 31 Jan 2012 12:08

Maguire
FiNeRaIn
chilipepper91 http://www.readingfc.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10306~2594892,00.html

Not impressed if true. Not particularly motivated to go and watch this current bunch with the one dimensional players lacking creativity on show. Yeah, im negative bla bla bla. But its absolute dross every week at the moment and a young unproven centre mid who derby were happy to let go on a free is not going to change the rhythm for our games, especially when on the bench. Connolly is a good backup signing, he may also play left back but thats not where we are struggling. Our back five is the most solid aspect about out team - the biggest weakness is the midfield by far and the one addition we've added there is NOWHERE near enough im afraid. Happy with roberts signings but lets be honest..he's not going to creative his own through balls and nod in his own crosses from the wing, why can't the management see the obvious weakness and one dimensional play of our midfield? Its really, really worrying.

Let's try a different perspective. Last season we roared into the play-offs after a shoddy start, and were defo worth a top six place. Yes we lost Kish, Mills, and Long but:

Jason Roberts (who you'd think can outscore our other strikers if not perhaps to the extent of Long)

I think next season is more likely to see a concerted challenge for promotion, but we've got a shot this year. Need Leigertwood back of course but cheer up FFS.

Plus random punts on other players (eg. Cywka) who may yet come good aswell, the possibility of a loan deal next week, and even a chance of another signing today.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 31 Jan 2012 12:20

This looks a cracking signing but I'd be a little surprised if McDermott had him pencilled in as a left back (although it does sound like we might've been in the market for one).

Connelly, from what I remember of him, is very much a centre half who can play left back a bit. McDermott, much like Coppell, likes his fullbacks to be fullbacks and be ready and able to support the attack. I don't get the impression that Connelly really fits that bill. It could be that McDermott is looking for something a bit different (perhaps to release the shackles in midfield a bit?) and that's why he's gone for him.

Either way, another positive sign that we're looking at the right kind of players at the moment. It makes quite a refreshing change!

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 31 Jan 2012 12:27

Maguire
Maguire
FiNeRaIn

Plus random punts on other players (eg. Cywka) who may yet come good aswell, the possibility of a loan deal next week, and even a chance of another signing today.

'greed. Its also a random punt on a 23 year old who has shown he can play at this level albeit not consistently yet. This is as opposed to random punts on non-league/IrishLeague/Lower League players who've never been to championship game let alone played in one.

How people can't see that the signings we've made make the first 11 and squad stronger (on paper at least) than we entered the window is beyond me.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 31 Jan 2012 12:41

FiNeRaIn

Chill the phuck out m8. We've got ourselves in the mix with this team that doesn't motiv8 you and now added a few, who cares what happens for the rest of the season, enjoy the ride :!:

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 31 Jan 2012 12:43

FWIW my QPR supporting m8 has just been kind enough to give me his verdict on Connolly and I quote "donkey" is all he had to say.

He does h8 Reading with a ridiculous passion though so I'm taking it with a pinch of salt

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 31 Jan 2012 12:43

Seriously good signing to provide cover for the back 4. According to the QPR site he's primaraily a central defender. Also had loan spells at Colchester and Bournemouth.

Just can't see Pearce/Gorkss being split up though if they are I presume he'll replace Pearce. Not sure about playing him as a full back if that is not his preferred position.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 31 Jan 2012 12:49

Hoop Blah This looks a cracking signing but I'd be a little surprised if McDermott had him pencilled in as a left back (although it does sound like we might've been in the market for one).

Connelly, from what I remember of him, is very much a centre half who can play left back a bit. McDermott, much like Coppell, likes his fullbacks to be fullbacks and be ready and able to support the attack. I don't get the impression that Connelly really fits that bill. It could be that McDermott is looking for something a bit different (perhaps to release the shackles in midfield a bit?) and that's why he's gone for him.

Either way, another positive sign that we're looking at the right kind of players at the moment. It makes quite a refreshing change!

Same thoughts as you Hoops.
IIRC he is right-footed (May be wrong and Vision argued with me years ago about left-backs not needing to be left-footed which I disagreed with then and still do today)so we don't need another right-footed left-back to take the place of Griff.
My other memory is of him being a bit reckless and headstrong like Mills.
As a centre-back a very sensible signing to put paid to the nonsense spouted on here about the geriatric Harte filling in if necessary.
All we need to do now is offload Church,Hunt,Manset and Williams and bring in a couple of strikers that could provide strong options to supplement Alf and Roberts and that would do for the moment meaning promotion as a viable chance rather than an outside possibility.

peterroyal76
Hob Nob Regular
Location: North stand B13.......where all the empty seats are!

by peterroyal76 » 31 Jan 2012 12:57

Matt Connolly is a decent signing, but I'm with Finerain on this. We DO need some creativity in central midfield.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 31 Jan 2012 13:03

He was 82nd in the actim index, pretty good considering he only made 33 starts

76 Kasper Schmeichel Leeds United Goal Keeper 374.00
77 Liam Fontaine Bristol City Defender 374.00
78 Mark Gower Swansea City Midfielder 372.00
79 Elliott Ward Norwich City Defender 371.00
80 Shaun Barker Derby County Defender 367.00
81 Chris Eagles Burnley Midfielder 364.00

82 Matthew Connolly Queens Park Rangers Defender 363.00
83 Richard Keogh Coventry City Defender 363.00
84 Paul Robinson Millwall Defender 361.00
85 Adam Hammill Barnsley Midfielder 355.00
86 Jamie McAllister Bristol City Defender 354.00
87 Robert Koren Hull City Midfielder 353.00
88 Liam Trotter Millwall Midfielder 353.00
89 Steven Caulker Bristol City Defender 353.00
90 Steve Simonsen Sheffield United Goal Keeper 353.00
91 Neil Kilkenny Leeds United Midfielder 352.00
92 Nathaniel Clyne Crystal Palace Defender 348.00
93 Matthew Mills Reading Defender 348.00
94 Scott Barron Millwall Defender 348.00
95 Chris Iwelumo Burnley Striker 347.00
96 Hayden Mullins Portsmouth Midfielder 346.00
97 Grant Leadbitter Ipswich Town Midfielder 344.00
98 Eddie Nolan Scunthorpe United Defender 343.00
99 Alejandro Damian Faurlin Queens Park Rangers Midfielder 343.00
100 Jay Rodriguez Burnley Striker 341.00

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 31 Jan 2012 13:05

Aged striker who Blackburn couldn't get rid of quickly enough. Derby reject. And now a QPR reserve.

Who else is on the board of TSI? Mark Goldberg and Spencer Trethewy?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 31 Jan 2012 13:09

floyd__streete Aged striker who Blackburn couldn't get rid of quickly enough. Derby reject. And now a QPR reserve.

Who else is on the board of TSI? Mark Goldberg and Spencer Trethewy?

Let's remember this post for when we pinch second at Birmingham

These are GREAT signings IMO

Dare to Dr£am
Hob Nob Regular

by Dare to Dr£am » 31 Jan 2012 13:11

leo_phillips Leo Phillips @
Matty Connolly is a great signing for @ReadingFC. He and @EsUnPiens were the rock that #QPR's promotion was built on.
1 hour ago Favorite Retweet Reply
Retweeted by @ReadingFC

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 31 Jan 2012 13:13

Unfortunately that foundation also included taarabt and faurlin

We have karacan, elwood and tabb. :lol: :lol:

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 31 Jan 2012 13:13

Snowball Let's remember this post for when we pinch second at Birmingham

These are GREAT signings IMO

Tongue slightly in cheek. Roberts is a good signing for the short term. I do not know enough about the others, they give us extra options I guess. I wanted a ball playing central midfielder but I guess that's unlikely now. As has been said in this thread, lets get top 6 now, inevitably lose in the play-offs and then move on some of the mediocrity in our squad in the summer to have a proper good go next season.

If we get second I'll sell my three houses.

138 posts