Magic Number

148 posts
Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Magic Number

by Arch » 11 Apr 2012 13:22

Nope, sorry both of you. It's not 12 by any twist of logic. If we beat Soton on Friday it's +3 to us and -3 to them and the new magic number will be .... 7. To think that since earning twelve points will guarantee us promotion, the magic number is 12 is to make the same mistake as various others earlier in the thread. Our earning twelve entails Soton losing points, which is the reason why +12 to us will do the trick - it gets us to the magic thirteen (and beyond).

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 11 Apr 2012 13:25

West Stand Man I suppose that was also intended to be a tongue in cheek (about the use od the word Soccer)?

What is oft forgotten is that Soccer is actually an English word not an Americanisation.

I rest my case!

Close to a whoosh.....

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 11 Apr 2012 13:25

exactly, for those who still don't get it enjoy this run of results, we go WWLL (+6) and Southampton go LLWW(-6) netting 12 off of our magic number, who wins the title?*

*probably, massive GD swing notwithstanding

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 11 Apr 2012 13:28

Arch Nope, sorry both of you. It's not 12 by any twist of logic. If we beat Soton on Friday it's +3 to us and -3 to them and the new magic number will be .... 7. To think that since earning twelve points will guarantee us promotion, the magic number is 12 is to make the same mistake as various others earlier in the thread. Our earning twelve entails Soton losing points, which is the reason why +12 to us will do the trick - it gets us to the magic thirteen (and beyond).

I'm not sure I follow you; for us to win promotion (not to win the Championship) we need to get 7 more points; that will ensure that West Ham can't catch us. We then get promotion.

Finishing ahead of Southampton is an irrelevence for securing promotion.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Apr 2012 13:30

Bandini
Maguire Common sense >>> trying to Americanise football

The 's' in "Americanise" is a thing of beauty.

*tips hat*

The thing I like about you Bandini is that you always get it. Makes me feel like my efforts aren't wasted.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Apr 2012 13:32

Mr Angry
Arch Nope, sorry both of you. It's not 12 by any twist of logic. If we beat Soton on Friday it's +3 to us and -3 to them and the new magic number will be .... 7. To think that since earning twelve points will guarantee us promotion, the magic number is 12 is to make the same mistake as various others earlier in the thread. Our earning twelve entails Soton losing points, which is the reason why +12 to us will do the trick - it gets us to the magic thirteen (and beyond).

I'm not sure I follow you; for us to win promotion (not to win the Championship) we need to get 7 more points; that will ensure that West Ham can't catch us. We then get promotion.

It's the magic number v Southamption though, not to get promoted

tbh there's so much confusion on this thread I think it illustrates that you really have overcomplicated a simple matter

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 11 Apr 2012 13:37

Mr Angry

If WHU get 12 more points and we get six more points, then we need Soton to lose at least seven more points and we're promoted in virtue of finishing ahead of Southampton. Six plus seven equals thirteen - the magic number for us wrt Soton.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 11 Apr 2012 13:40

So the promotion number is seven after last night, right?

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 11 Apr 2012 13:41

Maguire
Mr Angry

tbh there's so much confusion on this thread I think it illustrates that you really have overcomplicated a simple matter

It's all relative, though. Over here, this thread would have consisted of an occasional posting of a number and everyone would have got it and moved on. The sense that it's overcomplicated is the sense that the multiple scenarios aren't worth thinking about. "WNG" and all that. Once you do start getting into all the what-ifs, the magic number concept is really quite useful for keeping it straight from game to game.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 11 Apr 2012 13:47

Maguire
Mr Angry

Eh? Surely the words "magic number" might be a clue? Its the current number of points we need to get to secure us promotion.

That figure may change after Friday if we win or draw, or it might change on Saturday if West Ham lose or draw; if we lose and West Ham win, it remains at 7.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 11 Apr 2012 13:55

Mr Angry Eh? Surely the words "magic number" might be a clue? Its the current number of points we need to get to secure us promotion.

This is not the concept.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 11 Apr 2012 13:58

Mr Angry
Maguire It's the magic number v Southamption though, not to get promoted

Eh? Surely the words "magic number" might be a clue? Its the current number of points we need to get to secure us promotion

lol@you

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 11 Apr 2012 14:12

It's the level of lack of comprehension I expect from certain posters, but I'm surprised at Mr Angry's fail here

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 11 Apr 2012 14:43

Stay ahead of...hmmm, fair enough.

The only thing that matters is promotion; for that we need 7 points. As far as I'm concerned, thats the current target.

RoyalChicagoFC
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyalChicagoFC » 11 Apr 2012 15:31

ZacNaloen
So the promotion number is seven after last night, right?

RFC vis-à-vis West Ham --yes (and such is to make the reasonable assumption that Brum, by virtue of our winning a point somewhere or of their own failure to take maximum points from any one of their remaining matches, won't catch us)

Put another way: if West Ham were to finish any worse than 1-3-0 --and a minimum of two wins would be needed for them to get a better finish than that-- then we'd be up as long as we fulfill our remaining fixtures irrespective of outcomes (again, assuming that Brum drop at least a point --or, as actuality would have it, two)

Southampton (and, for that matter, everybody else) are a separate account and need to be viewed thus --it of course remains possible, albeit very unlikely, that West Ham finish top and that in the end it's Saints and Reading fighting for the runners-up place, so that's an account well worth keeping open (and it's rather needless to add that even if we do get clear of West Ham for good and thus secure promotion, we'd welcome it nonetheless as champions and would want to track the number to a conclusion)

So anyway Z to say "Reading's magic number for promotion now stands at 7" isn't wholly accurate absent the WHU qualific8ion --but you're clear on the general concept

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Apr 2012 16:15

So to sum it up

Magic number for 1st = 13 (Saints)
Magic number for 2nd = 7 (West Ham)
Magic Number for 3rd = 1 (Birmingham)

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 11 Apr 2012 16:16

Ian Royal So to sum it up

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Apr 2012 16:20

TBM

No. Because if we get 12, Saints have dropped at least 3, giving a total of 15, and we finish at least 3 points clear. It's not how many points we need to win, because we could win the league with 2 more points.

As someone else said, Two wins for us = -6, two loses for Saints = -6 (Total 12). That still means two wins for them and two loses for us mean they finish 1st.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 11 Apr 2012 16:22

We can't get 13 points from 4 games, but if we get 12 then the most they can pick up is nine, so we'd be champions.

There are 4 games left, not 5.
Last edited by Rev Algenon Stickleback H on 11 Apr 2012 16:24, edited 2 times in total.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 11 Apr 2012 16:23

Rev Algenon Stickleback H

We can't get 13 points from 4 games, but if we get 12 them the most they can pick up is nine, so we'd be champions.

It's not about how many points we get.

oxf*rd hell it's been explained about 5 times on this thread. I give up.

148 posts