Church

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Church

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 02 Jan 2013 10:23

Reading would need a player like Siggy back for Church to succeed, he is not a long ball player, or one that does well from 4-4-2 using wingers., just look at the good bits here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLQx6F3usP4 and most of his better goals were balls played past the defender, sadly most were for Wales U21.

I guess we could ask why he has not improved, Long did, he lost weight got fit and became a top striker. Church needs to put on a bit of weight, stand his ground and annoy defenders, then you might see improvement with the right coaching team.

Odd that for Church and Harte et al criticism is fine, yet more often it is in Brian we trust, well Brian trusted Church enough, so why does that not apply now?

The Beardy Man

by The Beardy Man » 02 Jan 2013 11:55

I watched the U21 games against England. He was excellent in both of them. At the time he really did look a great young prospect.

Just never quite been able to push on as hoped. A player with a decent all round game, but not strong nor quick enough to regularly trouble defenders at the level we have reached.

Arguably still a success story for the academy though. Will almost certainly spend his career in league football, and has reached the level as a player that we were as a club when he was a schoolboy footballer.

If he moves on then wish him all the best, and hope he finds success elsewhere such that we see him playing against us in the future.

Twin Lake

by Twin Lake » 02 Jan 2013 14:32

Harpers So Solid Crew Reading would need a player like Siggy back for Church to succeed, he is not a long ball player, or one that does well from 4-4-2 using wingers., just look at the good bits here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLQx6F3usP4 and most of his better goals were balls played past the defender, sadly most were for Wales U21.

I guess we could ask why he has not improved, Long did, he lost weight got fit and became a top striker. Church needs to put on a bit of weight, stand his ground and annoy defenders, then you might see improvement with the right coaching team.

Odd that for Church and Harte et al criticism is fine, yet more often it is in Brian we trust, well Brian trusted Church enough, so why does that not apply now?

I think it sums Church up that a lot of the highlights here were of him completing passes. There was also one of him hitting the side netting...

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 02 Jan 2013 17:54

he is shit, his loan spell at huddersfield proved that, god knows how get got on the bench for hammers. Get rid asap

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 02 Jan 2013 17:56

loyalroyal4life god knows how get got on the bench for hammers. Get rid asap

What game were you watching :|
Last edited by SLAMMED on 02 Jan 2013 17:57, edited 1 time in total.

SPARTA
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you give us 90 minutes, we'll give you a lifetime

by SPARTA » 02 Jan 2013 17:57

I think 250k is a bargain. I thought it would cost us more to get rid of him..

SpaghettiHoop

by SpaghettiHoop » 05 Jan 2013 09:16

Rumour on Millwall forum that he's off to Watford instead of them because of wages.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Jan 2013 09:34

Twin Lake
Harpers So Solid Crew Reading would need a player like Siggy back for Church to succeed, he is not a long ball player, or one that does well from 4-4-2 using wingers., just look at the good bits here.

I think it sums Church up that a lot of the highlights here were of him completing passes. There was also one of him hitting the side netting...

Actually I think if you made a youtube clip of his goals he'd look a very good player - a mix of poacher's goals and shots from the edge of the box. He has a good shot on him. His problem is more reading the game to be in a position to have that shot.

super darren caskey
Hob Nob Regular

by super darren caskey » 05 Jan 2013 10:03

I would rather we kept him but loaned him out again.

Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 05 Jan 2013 10:28

LoyalRoyal22 Hopefully we can get 500k for him this window. Otherwise he will go on a free in the summer. Championship player at best. Like the guy but not up to it at this level

Got an email from the club this morning saying "get Reading FC player for just £18.99"

I hope that wasn't him.

Kingsley Junior

by Kingsley Junior » 05 Jan 2013 10:38

loyalroyal4life he is shit, his loan spell at huddersfield proved that, god knows how get got on the bench for hammers. Get rid asap

Except he didn't. Unless his name is now Noel Hunt or he is able to be in two places at once and was both on the bench for us and starting for Huddersfield at the same time last Saturday.

RFCSPACE

by RFCSPACE » 05 Jan 2013 11:10

SpaghettiHoop Rumour on Millwall forum that he's off to Watford instead of them because of wages.

Football is in a bad place when Simon Church can demand more money...

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 05 Jan 2013 11:13

Better to be with Zola at Watford than hit and hurt Millwall

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 05 Jan 2013 11:42

Needs to go and prove himself at another club asap. Never going to really get the chance here - the best game he played for us is still his first half debut v Burnley in the Play Off Semi 4 years ago.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 05 Jan 2013 14:05

On the bench today.

Pog and Roberts not featuring at all.

jellytot

by jellytot » 05 Jan 2013 16:03

Royal Lady On the bench today.

Pog and Roberts not featuring at all.

Not a good game for Roberts to return in. Heavy pitch. Also best to rest some of the boys too.

LoyalRoyal22
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyal22 » 05 Jan 2013 16:17

LoyalRoyal22 Hopefully we can get 500k for him this window. Otherwise he will go on a free in the summer. Championship player at best. Like the guy but not up to it at this level

Got an email from the club this morning saying "get Reading FC player for just £18.99"

I hope that wasn't him.

:lol:

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 07 Jan 2013 12:01

From the News at Den website....

MILLWALL will widen their search for a new forward this week after approaches for Aaron Mclean, Simon Church and Steven Davies came to nothing.

The Lions have offered £250,000 for Church but do not believe the Reading striker will compromise sufficiently on his personal terms and have cooled their interest in him.

The Wales international's wages at the Madejski Stadium doubled last summer due to a promotion clause in his contract and he may wait until he becomes a free agent in June to move to a new club.

Esteban

by Esteban » 07 Jan 2013 12:12

Barry the bird boggler From the News at Den website....

MILLWALL will widen their search for a new forward this week after approaches for Aaron Mclean, Simon Church and Steven Davies came to nothing.

The Lions have offered £250,000 for Church but do not believe the Reading striker will compromise sufficiently on his personal terms and have cooled their interest in him.

The Wales international's wages at the Madejski Stadium doubled last summer due to a promotion clause in his contract and he may wait until he becomes a free agent in June to move to a new club.

If his wages really did double in the summer, then more fool us. It's unlikely we'll get a fee for him now.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 07 Jan 2013 12:16

Esteban If his wages really did double in the summer, then more fool us. It's unlikely we'll get a fee for him now.

That's the way promotion clauses in contracts work. Don't have that and no-one will sign a contract - and you can't offer that to all players except one....