by MmmMonsterMunch » 01 Jan 2013 21:25

AthleticoSpizz We will, then we will re-visit this

I hope you are right!

SHORT AND CURLY

Re: Spurs back from the Game/sofa

by SHORT AND CURLY » 01 Jan 2013 22:03

Just got home.
My MOM was bewtween Feds, Marriapa and Ledge
Guthrie (our so called saviour ) had a shocker. Was Jem even playing?

Pains me to say it as I hate the Spuds, but they were a class (league) above and I would suggest that everyone of their 'Fringe players' would get into our side.

A few pints in the Irish club at lunchtime was pleasant enough, the game was poor and the atmosphere dreadful (For both sets of fans)
Roll on Crawley :roll:

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 01 Jan 2013 23:02

Well you lot must of been watching a different game if you were pleased with that.
We were shocking, content on letting them use the game as target practice, it was inevitable that they were going to get a goal from range with the amount of shots we allowed them.
We have no cutting edge. can't hold the ball up front and concede possesion in every game.
Utterly clueless and inept, bet Crawley can't wait for Saturday!!

Stuka
Hob Nob Regular

by Stuka » 01 Jan 2013 23:13

Was in home end in the stand directly opposite you guys. Heard a few people remark they thought Kebe was the best player.

Reading rarely looked a threat apart from that succession of corners in the 2nd half.

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 01 Jan 2013 23:16

Watching football first. Reading cannot string more than three passes together. If you can't do the basics you've got no chance.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 01 Jan 2013 23:24

We were very much 2nd best, no lack of effort, just qaulity I'm afraid. It looked a top Premier team against a Chamionship side which in reality it was. On another day we could have nicked a point but it would have been undeserved. I thought the back four and Feds did ok but Lennon had Harte on toast just gratefull Bale wasn't playing. Need to start planning now for life in the championship. :(

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 01 Jan 2013 23:29

Disgusted by elements of our away support today. The constant abuse of Jobi today, from virtually the 1st minute, was a pre-planned attack, and a complete disgrace. The significant minority who were on his back about every little move he made, fail to realise how completely counter productive their 'support' is. Having spent most of the first half shouting at McAnuff to go and hold Lennon's hand on the Spurs right touchline (with play on our right), not caring that McAnuff and Harte had handled Lennon well, the worst moment by far was shouts of 'Take Jobi off' followed by huge cheers when McD did make the sub.

These guys have a clear bias against McAnuff even before a ball is kicked. I'm a HRK fan, but some of these guys need to get off his d1ck and support the team that McD puts out there. Chanting for HRK to come on and jeering McAnuff will really help to bring out the best in McAnuff won't it? It's clear his confidence is shot to pieces at the moment but it's a vicious cycle with how he's being treated by elements of our support. HRK came on and proceeded to give the ball away with each of his first four/five attempted passes.

It's days like today where I don't even care if we get relegated. I'll happily watch Championship football where expectations are realistic and fans can at least appreciate someone who has been a great servant (as well as brilliant player) to the club and has never played with a lack of effort or desire.

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 01 Jan 2013 23:36

Legs clearly at fault for Spurs first goal....was supposed to be marking Dawson but just stood still.....Legs woeful yet again :cry:

West_Reading

by West_Reading » 01 Jan 2013 23:42

semtex1871 Legs clearly at fault for Spurs first goal....was supposed to be marking Dawson but just stood still.....Legs woeful yet again :cry:

No he wasn't. Were you at the game?

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 02 Jan 2013 00:15

The Royal Lets be honest, yes we lost but spurs away was never going to decide our season, it what we do against the teams around us that matters. And any points against the big boys are a bonus

This is not the case. Check results from previous seasons (esp those who finished 17th)

Kebe is our Messi

by Kebe is our Messi » 02 Jan 2013 00:30

West_Reading Disgusted by elements of our away support today. The constant abuse of Jobi today, from virtually the 1st minute, was a pre-planned attack, and a complete disgrace. The significant minority who were on his back about every little move he made, fail to realise how completely counter productive their 'support' is. Having spent most of the first half shouting at McAnuff to go and hold Lennon's hand on the Spurs right touchline (with play on our right), not caring that McAnuff and Harte had handled Lennon well, the worst moment by far was shouts of 'Take Jobi off' followed by huge cheers when McD did make the sub.

These guys have a clear bias against McAnuff even before a ball is kicked. I'm a HRK fan, but some of these guys need to get off his d1ck and support the team that McD puts out there. Chanting for HRK to come on and jeering McAnuff will really help to bring out the best in McAnuff won't it? It's clear his confidence is shot to pieces at the moment but it's a vicious cycle with how he's being treated by elements of our support. HRK came on and proceeded to give the ball away with each of his first four/five attempted passes.

It's days like today where I don't even care if we get relegated. I'll happily watch Championship football where expectations are realistic and fans can at least appreciate someone who has been a great servant (as well as brilliant player) to the club and has never played with a lack of effort or desire.

Whilst i totally agree he or anyone should never be boo'd no matter what, he did have yet again another poor game. Passing woeful, several times didnt even look before hoofing the ball. He clearly hasnt been able to make the step up to premier league and its embarrassing that he is our captain. Pearce should be captain in my opinion, or at least team captain.

Aside from that i thought we were okay. Lots of positives and lets be truthful, we never thought of getting anything from this game. However the chances we had should have been taken. Nevermind though, its the teams at home we need to beat. Positive day to an extent.

royal_ross

by royal_ross » 02 Jan 2013 08:21

I have to admit I sang jobi off, but looking back now on it, I'm embarrassed by saying that, might have been booze involved unfortunately! :shock:

I've been one of his biggest fans this season but he wasn't great 2nd half but then again nor was Guthrie or Kanu.

Jobi if you're reading this then my apologies for mine and others stupid outbursts, don't take it to heart mate, see what Hartey did!

Onwards and upwards!

scratchgrey

by scratchgrey » 02 Jan 2013 09:03

Wasn't expecting to take anything from this game but didn't expect us to show Spurs so much respect. Lack of closing down and holding off for far too long.

Singling Jobi out seemed harsh as he was no worse than anyone else.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jan 2013 10:32

Cripple Creek AVB is rapidly turning Spurs into a side that are one of the joys to watch in the Prem.

Because they were such a footballing eyesore under Redknapp of course...

Cripple Creek ...and fans start digressing (as they do) and they were bemoaning the lack of striking options they have - errr, yeah right...Adebayor, Dempsey, Defoe....

To be fair, that's 2 and a half forwards. They don't actually have any strength in depth upfront, hence why Bale has played up front a couple of times for them. For a team challenging for the top 4 that really isn't enough. Chelsea are in a similar position.

Cripple Creek Reading's passing at times was woeful and was made to look particularly bad because they were playing a side that pass so well. However, all things considered we did OK and I thought Legs did OK today and the BBC commentator I was listening to said he was MOM against West Ham. So much now depends on how much we can improve with new signings in January - and improve we must - and hope other sides stay static. Personally, I think there is a chance we will stay up and I think it is more than an outside chance but if I was a betting man I would say we've still left it too little too late. However, the rest of the season does not look as if it is going to be as horrible and humiliating as the first half was.

I think we, rightly, identified the West Ham home game as the one to win out of these two and we worked so hard, with the same 11, to win that which meant today was always a hiding to nothing. We do need to improve quite a bit though to give ourselves a chance of beating the drop, and even though we look much better than a few weeks back I still think we've left ourselves far too much to do to pull it off.

Guthrie and Karacan probably struggled more than most yesterday because of their time out of the side and the amount of work they both did, but especially Karacan, against West Ham.

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 02 Jan 2013 10:48

Was in the home stand, only about six seats away from the away support. Torture.

My first away match this season, and was pretty sobering. I thought we were utterly outclassed despite working really hard and playing to our potential in most areas. Disappointing to see us struggle so much with crosses - two of their goals and a missed sitter by Adebayor very early on. Lennon was a real handful - and in my opinion blaming Harte for getting rinsed is daft. Lennon can 'do' just about any right back when flying as he was yesterday.

I thought we did a decent job at keeping them from playing through the middle. Defoe clearly getting frustrated in the second half and trying increasingly desperate long range attempts.

Our biggest problem is clearly the transition from defence to attack. If you can call it attack. Everyone working so hard to hold position and break them up that there is no energy to play and no-one available anyway. Pog worked wonderfully hard. The wingers defended deep, so they lacked the energy or the field position to be available when needed. So we just defend and defend and you can't stay in any league like that.

Legs? He worked so hard yesterday. Some misplaced passes and 'boings', but given the amount of blocks, interceptions and tackles this was pretty inevitable. He played a couple of lovely passes to Kebe, and generally moved the ball on well. Likewise Guthrie, good stint, but where to pass to.

Jobi - looked knackered and 'down' (shame on the boo boys). But also worked and worked.

It's going to be hard to move forward, whoever we bring in. Best we can do is support them all the way.

Spurs fans around me were purring about Gylfi. Sob.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 02 Jan 2013 11:04

2 world wars, 1 world cup
SPARTA Harte has got to go. Makes zero sense having him come in for Shorey. .

An Absolute no brainer. Harte is dead wood and must go asap.

I'm a bit consoled by Brian's revelation that shorey had a virus which is why he didn't play. Tat should at least shut the Harte lovers up I.e. even Brian doesn't rate him.

Why the **** we have two slow ageing left backs is beyond me.

As a footballer, Harte is in a different league to Shorey and he's playing in a much improved defense which, funnily enough, improved significantly from the time Harte got his place back.

In fact, we were heading for a clean against the league champions and their team worth many millions when Harte was subbed for Shorey in the latter stages.

Shorey would only have had to jump at the far post to have insured that the ball didn't finish in the back of the net, thus allowing the ref to award the dubious winning goal. So, to put this in plain English, until yesterday afternoon this apparently dreadful left back had played the best park of three consecutive matches in arguably the best league in the world, and without a goal being conceded throughout his time on the pitch, only for his replacement to make the fatal error that lead to us conceding the only goal in those 3 matches :P

Only in Nicky Shorey World could a case be made in these circumstances for the East Stand's favorite love child to be re-instated :P

Having said all that, Shorey is still a decent left back and Brian's best summer signing so it beggars belief that you are worried about one of our strongest areas of the pitch when we clearly need a decent right back.

If Nicky had a right foot that's where he would have played the last 3 games and whilst I would have been happy for Brian to have selected Harte or Shorey on the left, it's the Shorey bias here that simply beggars belief.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 02 Jan 2013 11:14, edited 1 time in total.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 02 Jan 2013 11:12

in with a shout at 2-1 down, should have taken at least 1 of those 3 chances. undone by deflected goal.
pretty happy with the effort and passion on display. still not enough quality, and spurs had extra gears to go through, but an improvement on the last game between us.
moderately "happy"

think three games in a week was just too much for the midfielders. guthrie and karacan were very quiet.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 02 Jan 2013 11:29

Agreed. I think he missed a trick by not starting a very fresh Jay Tabb.

pea
Hob Nob Regular

by pea » 02 Jan 2013 12:44

Lol @ Ian Royal's ratings, we beat West Ham and keep a clean sheet and he criticises every single one of our players, we throw away a lead and lose 3-1 against Tottenham and he is full of praise :|

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 02 Jan 2013 13:52

The atmosphere was terrible, one of the worst i've encountered at a premier league game which was a bit of a shame as I really like White Hart Lane.

Went to Liverpool Street for about 11ish and had breakfast there and had quite a few pints around that area. Then about 1 went to the Irish bar near to White Hart Lane tube station. Was really weird inside and around there, felt like it was a community event, not a pre-football drinking venue. Was the food nice in there?

Annoying when football grounds don't serve alcohol at half time too.

The match itself was OK I thought, Reading had a few really good chances towards the end to even it to 2-2 but the way Tottenham dominated was scary, they were in total control.

All this Jobi abuse is harsh in the way it's so vocal. Is it simply as he's playing badly, if that's the case then I think the fans booing him and cheering when he was taken off (like the idiot behind me was doing at a stupid volume), they should all re-consider as it's not going to help at all.