Can we pull it off and stay up?

Yes
74%
No
26%

Total votes: 229
Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

Re: Can we really stay up? Honestly?

by Libertine » 14 Jan 2013 04:40

Can we really stay up? Well seeing, as of this post, we are one win away from safety I am thinking the answer to this question right now is...obviously yes.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 14 Jan 2013 04:43

It's not impossible but my gut feeling is 85/15 that relegation will occur.

Libertine
Hob Nob Addict
Location: Connecticut...aka "The Fifth Ring of Hell" & Prediction League Champion 2015/2016

by Libertine » 14 Jan 2013 04:59

I'm a bit more positive than that. The reasons? Well now that Guthrie, Kebe and Jem have been have become settled back in the squad and picking up Kelly to help shore up our right side (where many of the goals against have come from), plus he can cover the left, I think we will see better results than we did in the first half of the season. Even if we don't add anyone else, which I have a feeling we will.

And I think Carrico will be a contributor also. He just needs to get into game shape and up to game speed. I put our odds at 50-50, or maybe 55-45 against staying up if I was being pessimistic. Much of it depends on what, if any, additional moves we make in this window...

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 14 Jan 2013 05:20

si se puede

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

Re: The Great Escape

by Handsome Man » 14 Jan 2013 09:36

Gav Anyone who voted 'no' needs to learn how to read a question properly and get a better grasp of maths IMHO.

Or English, and what the question means.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 14 Jan 2013 10:25

Handsome Man
Gav Anyone who voted 'no' needs to learn how to read a question properly and get a better grasp of maths IMHO.

Or English, and what the question means.

+2. It beggars belief just how stupid some people can be :|

Basic arithmetic should be more than sufficent here. We have 16 games to get 4 more points than Villa and Wigan and 1 less than QPR. Whether anyone thinks we will achieve this is not the point. The point is, it's no longer going to take a miracle to avoid the drop.

In fact, given our recent home form and the fact that EDIT 5 of our 8 remaining games at the Mad Stad are against relegation rivals (not to mention that Villa and Newcastle are dropping like stones :| ) I would suggest those beyond our own silly supporters who invested so much of their credibility in the view that we were relegated weeks ago, will now fancy a few quid on us staying up.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Jan 2013 11:00

7 more wins could do it.

dont think thats too much to ask.
if we win 4 of our home games vs relegation rivals we just need 3 more from somewhere, thats far from impossible.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 14 Jan 2013 11:56

melonhead 7 more wins could do it.

if we win 4 of our home games vs relegation rivals we just need 3 more from somewhere, thats far from impossible.

Beat Newcastle and things look almost postive.

With a bit of luck, the results from the Wests will feed into that never say die mental strength that took us from about 7th to 1st last season by mainly just wanting and believing it more than West Ham and Saints.

Then again, if Newcastle do us, it starts looking rather tricky again, if not impossible.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 14 Jan 2013 11:58

not expecting owt.

a draw would be gr8

a win would send me into positivity o'erdrive

Brianstorm

by Brianstorm » 14 Jan 2013 12:00

Ian Royal

With a bit of luck, the results from the Wests will feed into that never say die mental strength that took us from about 7th to 1st last season by mainly just wanting and believing it more than West Ham and Saints.

Then again, if Newcastle do us, it starts looking rather tricky again, if not impossible.

Agreed Newcastle is pretty much a must win. Lose that and then presumably lose to Chelsea and we will most likely be cut adrift once again.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 14 Jan 2013 12:07

10 game countdown thread (which is now 8 ) - :arrow:

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 14 Jan 2013 12:51

Brianstorm
Ian Royal

Agreed Newcastle is pretty much a must win. Lose that and then presumably lose to Chelsea and we will most likely be cut adrift once again.

Newcastle is a must win for the home side whilst anything other than defeat is a great result for us. End of.

mr_number
Hob Nob Regular

by mr_number » 14 Jan 2013 12:57

I guess Newcastle's in that category of games where we probably need to win say 2 out of 5, rather than the likes of the other strugglers at home, where we need to win them all.

creative_username_1
Hob Nob Regular

by creative_username_1 » 14 Jan 2013 13:06

i'd suggest we need to pick up points from any source and hope that teams around us drop points

HTH

Esteban

by Esteban » 14 Jan 2013 13:08

Brianstorm
Ian Royal

I think Newcastle have enough good players to get out of the situation they're in, so a draw up there will be good enough for us.

EDIT: Yeah, what Woodcote said.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 14 Jan 2013 13:51

I'm not saying we can't win up there just that defeat would plunge them right into a relegation dog fight that they would not have envisaged a few months ago whilst defeat for us would not be the end of the world.

Having said that, I hope avoiding defeat is our priority as this would keep another massive club in the mix.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 14 Jan 2013 13:53

That could work to our advantage. Score a quick goal, or keep Newcastle out for a long time, and the home crowd could turn on their team.

Alf Hooker

by Alf Hooker » 14 Jan 2013 14:03

Would also like to think that ontop of the confidence from saturday the players will be even more up for it with the injustice of the "Hand of Ba" that denied us when they came to the Madstad.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 14 Jan 2013 14:16

jellytot Games at home to play in no order - Chelsea, villa, qpr, man city, saints, wigan, liverpool and sunderland.
Games away again in no order - Newcastle, norwich, fulham, arsenal, man utd, everton, stoke and
West ham.

Winnable games at home - villa, qpr, saints, wigan, sunderland and Liverpool.
AWAY winnable - newcastle, fulham, norwich and stoke.

We need to hit around 38 points to have a chance.. 22 more needed.

Probably need 6 wins minimum plus a few draws. Probably need 5 wins at home from the 6 i
Identified. probably too much to ask.

Wr were so poor and jammy yesterday. We need at least 2 more quality players signed
Because clearly we are way short especially in the midfield. Sadly i do not see it but i am sure
We will give it a go. The win should not hide the fact that we were awful.

Anyway up the royals!

What's the obsession with 38 points? In 2009/10 the 3 relegated teams were Pimpey with 19 points and Burnley and Hull both with 30 points. 31 points would have been enough that season. The year before that Hull got 35 and stayed up. 34/35 could well be enough this year for all we know. Obviously, the more we get the safer we will be but 33/34/35 could be enough so lets not give up until that is mathematically impossible.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 15 Jan 2013 05:52

Now is the time for us to see what Anton is made of. We have got within touching distance and spending some cash now on a decent couple of players could make all the difference. We all know what happened last time we were in a relegation scrap in the Prem and our failure to add quality plqyers cost us. The club has the chance to avoid the same mistake again. We all know it is not easy to attrach players when we are dne the bottom of the league, but surely we are in a better postion than this time last week to attract platers as we do not appear so dead and buried. Without a couple more decent players we simply do not have the quality in the squad to stay up. Time for Anton to step up.

192 posts