BFTG - Reading v just a sh*t Man United

121 posts
Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: BFTG - Reading v just a sh*t Man United

by Maguire » 15 May 2013 11:44

Hoop Blah Guthrie hit one lovely long ball from near the dug outs to the right wing in the second half (can't remember if it was to Gunter or one of the wingers) but the arc and weight of the pass was perfect and Clichy saw it all the way but couldn't do a thing about it.

He also tried to pass out to the right hand side in the first half and perfectly bisected the two players he had to aim at, who forlornly watched the ball bounce out for another throw.

He played alright. Some good stuff, some not so good.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 May 2013 11:48

melonhead
Hoop Blah I'm with TBM here, Guthrie ran the game from a Reading perspective. t.

i am surprised :D

i like him.im glad he is starting, he played ok last night.but gave the ball away in silly situations a few times.
i disagree that he was our man of the match

I seriously can't picture any of these few silly situations. If they were so obvious and happened so often I'd usually recall them. Any chance you can add a bit of specifics around these to help jog my memory?

I don't think an outfield player bettered Guthrie last night, but I'd accept that McCarthy was probably man of the match for his display though.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 15 May 2013 11:49

Wycombe Royal
Platypuss
Schards#2 My one concern is our moronic fans who continually groan when we pass back from midfield to defence in order to retain possession rather than hitting and hoping. Reminiscent of similar scenes when we were playing superb possession football under McGhee.

TBF, the blind pass back to the centre half is every bit as annoying as the blind punt over the shoulder.

No it isn't.

When there are better forward pass options it certainly is. Pace Rodgers

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 15 May 2013 11:52

TBM
soggy biscuit Guthrie did well again at doing that dynamic looking thing while actually making a 5 yards sideways pass

Did you notice Yaya Toure, all he did last night was get the ball from the centre backs and pass it 5 yards to Silva - people rave about him.........

Guthrie is our only player who looks entirely comfortable receiving the ball whilst he is being marked, he has confidence that his ball control will be good enough to keep possession and play it on. And 9 times out of 10, it is.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 May 2013 11:53

Hoop Blah
melonhead
Hoop Blah I'm with TBM here, Guthrie ran the game from a Reading perspective. t.

i am surprised :D

i like him.im glad he is starting, he played ok last night.but gave the ball away in silly situations a few times.
i disagree that he was our man of the match

I seriously can't picture any of these few silly situations. .

yeah, thats kind of my point, about you being blinkered and that

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 May 2013 12:00

I may have missed them, or may have consigned them to unretrievable memory as insignificant moments, but that's why I'm asking you for help to picture his gluttony of errors.

Out of interest, how perfect a performance is he going to have to make for you to accept that he wasn't just ok or was better than his usual of decent and poor?

It seems to me you'll only accept perfection from Guthrie.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 May 2013 12:04

Hoop Blah I may have missed them, or may have consigned them to unretrievable memory as insignificant moments, but that's why I'm asking you for help to picture his gluttony of errors.

Out of interest, how perfect a performance is he going to have to make for you to accept that he wasn't just ok or was better than his usual of decent and poor?

lol.

ive accepted his decentness, his poorness, and his averageness tbf.
its you thats having trouble.

i said he played well. i gave him a 7 out of ten. he was always available and looking for the ball, cycled it around nicely, but also frustratingly gave the ball away in very noticeable situations on numerous occasions.

compared to 'he was brilliant, he always is, and i will not accept that he did anything wrong at all.'
well, youve got a bloody cheek young man, i dont mind telling you.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 May 2013 12:05

Maguire
Hoop Blah Guthrie hit one lovely long ball from near the dug outs to the right wing in the second half (can't remember if it was to Gunter or one of the wingers) but the arc and weight of the pass was perfect and Clichy saw it all the way but couldn't do a thing about it.

He also tried to pass out to the right hand side in the first half and perfectly bisected the two players he had to aim at, who forlornly watched the ball bounce out for another throw.

He played alright. Some good stuff, some not so good.

Thanks Mags, I guess that's one of the 4 or 5 passes from 59 that whoscored said weren't completed.

I can't picture that one, but at least it's one of the few mistakes he did make.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 May 2013 12:13

melonhead
Hoop Blah I may have missed them, or may have consigned them to unretrievable memory as insignificant moments, but that's why I'm asking you for help to picture his gluttony of errors.

lol.

i said he played well. i gave him a 7 out of ten. he was always available and looking for the ball, cycled it around nicely, but also frustratingly gave the ball away in very noticeable situations on numerous occasions.

compared to 'he was brilliant, he always is, and i will not accept that he did anything wrong at all.'

Those numerous occassions in very noticable situations don't seem to add up to much though.

I'm perfectly happy to accept that he doesn't make mistakes but you're the one that seems to have an issue giving credit where it's due.

You may well have given him a 7, and some slight praise, but at the same time you coated that with some unfair criticism whilst also giving McAnuff and Karacan 8's, the former who struggled to have any impact on the game.

My point is that saying that Guthrie gave the ball away too often is just far too harsh when he was the man on the ball by far the most. You also criticised his set pieces when they were, in the main, pretty good and obviously focusing on getting Morrison in on the far post. The fact is we only had 4 corners and 7 free kicks, the majority of which were in our own half IIRC.

ZacNaloen
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 'If atheism is a religion, then bald is a hair color.' -Mark Schnitzius

by ZacNaloen » 15 May 2013 12:18

City ran rough shod over our midfield last night, the difference in quality showed through massively. They put us under pressure at the right times and it forced mistakes, case in point their second goal. But there were mistakes that on another night we could have been heavily punished for as well.

There were many moments of good play, and promising play. We created a fair number of chances considering how outclassed we were. Over all, we were just beaten by a much better team that found some bottle after the FA Cup defeat. No surprises there.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 15 May 2013 12:21

Platypuss
Wycombe Royal
Platypuss TBF, the blind pass back to the centre half is every bit as annoying as the blind punt over the shoulder.

No it isn't.

When there are better forward pass options it certainly is. Pace Rodgers

Well obviously, but that wasn't part of your comment. You only gave two options - blind pass back or a blind punt over the shoulder.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 May 2013 12:31

Hoop Blah
melonhead

lol.

Those numerous occassions in very noticable situations don't seem to add up to much though.

I'm perfectly happy to accept that he doesn't make mistakes but you're the one that seems to have an issue giving credit where it's due.

You may well have given him a 7, and some slight praise, but at the same time you coated that with some unfair criticism whilst also giving McAnuff and Karacan 8's, the former who struggled to have any impact on the game.

My point is that saying that Guthrie gave the ball away too often is just far too harsh when he was the man on the ball by far the most. You also criticised his set pieces when they were, in the main, pretty good and obviously focusing on getting Morrison in on the far post. The fact is we only had 4 corners and 7 free kicks, the majority of which were in our own half IIRC.

look m8, its ok for you to disagree with me.
i simply expect the same back from you.

lol at calling my praise slight, and then focussing on the one negative thing ive said.
youve gone mental.

mcanuff(who has had alot of criticism from the stands) recieved a standing ovation as he went off.i cant think why that would be if he didnt play well.just saying like.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 15 May 2013 12:35

City squad worth: £390,450,000
Reading squad worth: £7,100,000

I think we played well considering Aguero is worth more than five times our entire squad put together.
Last edited by genome on 15 May 2013 12:35, edited 1 time in total.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 May 2013 12:35

lol at expecting specifics.

yeah, that was that pas son 32 minutes that went to toure, and another on 57 when he passed it into the stand etc :D :D :D :D

the man next to me points it out quite loudly when he does anything bad. and i KNOW that happened more than 4, or 5, or 6 times. cos i can hear him say it. and at the same time see danny doing it.

of course there were way more occasions where he didnt give the ball away, i also saw him put in a couple of decent tackles, he harried very well, and helped us to keep hold of the ball when we finally got it on many occasions. he had a good game. i gave him 7/10.
how is that focussing on the negative?

you dont have to believe me. frankly im more than happy for you to carry on labouring under your strange misapprehensions.

Alexander Litvinenko
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Winner - HNA? Music Quiz 2013. The Great Sounds of Polonium 210.

by Alexander Litvinenko » 15 May 2013 12:44

genome City squad worth: £390,450,000
Reading squad worth: £7,100,000

I think we played well considering Aguero is worth more than five times our entire squad put together.

Is the £7M for Alex McCarthy?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 May 2013 12:49

melonhead mcanuff(who has had alot of criticism from the stands) recieved a standing ovation as he went off.i cant think why that would be if he didnt play well.just saying like.

Personally, it being the last home game of the season, I applauded him for his sterling efforts all season as a way of hoping he felt some appreciation after the travesty of him not even making the top 4 of the Player of the Season vote.

I assumed a lot of the crowd were doing likewise because he'd had a quite and largely ineffectual night.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 May 2013 12:51

that seems an acceptable opinion to me

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 May 2013 12:54

melonhead of course there were way more occasions where he didnt give the ball away, i also saw him put in a couple of decent tackles, he harried very well, and helped us to keep hold of the ball when we finally got it on many occasions. he had a good game. i gave him 7/10.

you dont have to believe me. frankly im more than happy for you to carry on labouring under your strange misapprehensions.

I'm just trying to have a rational discussion about your view of his performance and asking for a little bit of information around your view that he gave the ball away far too much, was too sloppy on the ball and his set pieces were poor.

I just happen to think that's overly harsh because, although he obviously gave the ball away a few times, his role in the team and the way he played dictates that he's going to do that at times. Last night I think he gave the ball away very little in comparison to everyone else on the pitch and as a proportion of his time on the ball.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 15 May 2013 13:16

Thought Guthrie did alright too. Not wild about his match persona, there was a few times where he misplaced a pass and blamed the intended recipient, rather than holding his hands-up. Can see that disrupting the new team bond that NA seems to have installed.

Do think he needs to work on his set-plays though. They're not up to the quality of Harte's best ones, and while Harte delivered a fair few duff ones, I've seen very few top quality ones from Guthrie.

Full-backs (and strikers) are the big worry for me. Left-back is a priority. Whilst Gunter has improved under NA, he desperately needs help on his crossing and throw-ons. He takes an eternity to take a throw-on and it's surprising how poor they often are.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 15 May 2013 13:29

Hoop Blah
melonhead of course there were way more occasions where he didnt give the ball away, i also saw him put in a couple of decent tackles, he harried very well, and helped us to keep hold of the ball when we finally got it on many occasions. he had a good game. i gave him 7/10.

I'm just trying to have a rational discussion about your view of his performance and asking for a little bit of information around your view that he gave the ball away far too much, was too sloppy on the ball and his set pieces were poor.

I just happen to think that's overly harsh because, although he obviously gave the ball away a few times, his role in the team and the way he played dictates that he's going to do thatall at times. Last night I think he gave the ball away very little in comparison to everyone else on the pitch and as a proportion of his time on the ball.
all I can do is offer up the other reviews I've found which also highlight his bad passes. I'm not focussing on it though.frankly if you'd not said anything I wouldn't have had to mention it so often at all.
like I said,he was decent

121 posts