Why wont the club tell us the truth?

196 posts
tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Why wont the club tell us the truth?

by tee peg » 03 Sep 2013 14:09

RFCUK Sissoko held talks

The Royals will continue to operate in the transfer market over the coming weeks, with out-of-contract players still available to us and the emergency window opening in seven days’ time, for both loan deals and those with a view to permanent signings.

On deadline day and this morning the Royals held talks with vastly experienced midfielder Momo Sissoko, and talks with him may continue in the future as he is out of contract.

The Royals have already signed Wayne Bridge, Danny Williams and Royston Drenthe this summer; with those additions we have a strong Championship squad and have named seven full internationals on the bench in recent weeks. We have also signed players on renewed contracts, and importantly retained top players despite interest from other clubs.

We will of course keep our supporters informed of any further developments in due course.

That will keep the plebs quite.......... :roll:

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 03 Sep 2013 14:10

BR2
RFCUK Sissoko held talks

The Royals will continue to operate in the transfer market over the coming weeks, with out-of-contract players still available to us and the emergency window opening in seven days’ time, for both loan deals and those with a view to permanent signings.

On deadline day and this morning the Royals held talks with vastly experienced midfielder Momo Sissoko, and talks with him may continue in the future as he is out of contract.

The Royals have already signed Wayne Bridge, Danny Williams and Royston Drenthe this summer; with those additions we have a strong Championship squad and have named seven full internationals on the bench in recent weeks. We have also signed players on renewed contracts, and importantly retained top players despite interest from other clubs.

We will of course keep our supporters informed of any further developments in due course.

text alert from the club.
Is that an actual statement or a send-up?
It could easily be either.
Apart from McCarthy who are these "top players" that have been retained?

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 03 Sep 2013 14:11

RFCUK Sissoko held talks

Thanks for posting. Its a step in the right direction. Perhaps a bit more genuine communication with the fans going forward would go a long way...

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Sep 2013 14:11

RFCUK Sissoko held talks

so, they held talks and nothing happened or he wants too much money, we MAY talk with him again if he'll lower his demands, oooh look everyone don't forget we have signed 3 players and we had 7 internationals in the squad, before we sold Kebe and Mariappa yesterday.

Talk about trying to make a silk purse of news out of a sow's ear. :roll:

Edit: the last highlighted bit - are they talking about McCleary?

ddetisi

by ddetisi » 03 Sep 2013 14:14

Binfield Royal
ddetisi Just because you pay to watch a team, buy a hot dog and a drink doesn't get you a seat in the boardroom.

The club is a business you choose to buy into. The sooner you realise that Antonio does not have to listen to your bitching the better.

If you read (or perhaps more accurately, understood) the OP, my point is my disappointment in the promises that were made - aiming to win the league, signing 7 new players, not having to sell our best players etc when they are flogging the season tickets, then..... silence.

In any other service business, the provider makes a statement that is the basis of your contract (sign up to our service and we will deliver X, Y &Z). It can be argued that I and others bought our season tickets on the back of the public statements made by the owner and the manager regarding strengthening the team. You cannot deny that the club have fallen short, based on their public promises of improving the team through acquisition of new players and right now, we look a long way off being able to win the league.

Finally, I am not naive enough to think the Anton gives a flying f*ck what you or I think, but this is a forum for Reading FC fans to express their views about the club and the team and I have no qualms about posting my views on here which is the appropriate place for these discussions. Don’t be upset if some peoples views differ from your own.

This pretty much optimises what I said in one big cliche. Personal attack on my intelligence included. Embarrassing.

Show me where

1. You choosing to support a team in buying a season ticket means they have to meet your expectations? Is that in the season ticket contract?
2. Show me where Anton or Adkins said. "I promise to get us promoted and sign loads of players"

They will of said. "We want to get promoted and want to sign three players"

Why would you buy a ticket based on what the owner has to say!?

Bill gates comes out with Windows 23 and say "It's incredible it will change your life and make you breakfast in the morning" do you buy it because you believe him?

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 03 Sep 2013 14:18

The truth is a little embarassing all round really:

Madejski was desperate to sell up as he is not cash-rich these days.

He found a Russian family who were prepared to make an offer. In all honesty, the figurehead of the bid (AZ) was even cash-poorer than John Mad.

Working with the manager himself isn't as much a 'big sell' to potential targets as he/we may think.

Even in Championship tranfer-market terms we are also-rans.

What we need is a manager who is able to achieve success on a comparatively modest budget. Any ideas on anyone with a track-record of doing so at this level :?:

Don't say Adkins himself - his budget with Southampton was sizeable :!:

ddetisi

by ddetisi » 03 Sep 2013 14:19

Because he might learn something! If he knows that by talking up the club and doing bugger all about it in reality, the fans aren't backing him - perhaps he'll learn not to talk the talk without walking the walk, for a start.

Ok.

This is brilliant.

Either you are on a wind up and in which case congrats. You got me.

Or you are so caught up in "supporting" a team you've lost touch with reality.

You know there's a civil war going on in Syria right?

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 03 Sep 2013 14:20

RFCUK The Royals have already signed Wayne Bridge, Danny Williams and Royston Drenthe this summer; with those additions we have a strong Championship squad and have named seven full internationals on the bench in recent weeks. We have also signed players on renewed contracts, and importantly retained top players despite interest from other clubs.

And that’s transfer-wang for anyone who had ‘mention the signings we made pre-season as well as players we managed not to sell’.

Bandini
Hob Nob Regular
Location: No one must know I dropped my glasses in the toilet.

by Bandini » 03 Sep 2013 14:22

Congrats on the new suit, Norrers. Good news all round.

Davezk

by Davezk » 03 Sep 2013 14:25

tee peg
RFCUK Sissoko held talks

That will keep the plebs quite.......... :roll:

Quite what?

Oh the irony...

Dixeyroyal

by Dixeyroyal » 03 Sep 2013 14:39

That will keep the plebs quite.......... :roll:[/quote]

If your going to slate people that don't agree with you by saying "that will keep the plebs quite", at least have the decency to spell it properly or does spell check not work on your PC?

Binfield Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Binfield Royal » 03 Sep 2013 14:40

ddetisi
Binfield Royal
ddetisi Just because you pay to watch a team, buy a hot dog and a drink doesn't get you a seat in the boardroom.

The club is a business you choose to buy into. The sooner you realise that Antonio does not have to listen to your bitching the better.

If you read (or perhaps more accurately, understood) the OP, my point is my disappointment in the promises that were made - aiming to win the league, signing 7 new players, not having to sell our best players etc when they are flogging the season tickets, then..... silence.

In any other service business, the provider makes a statement that is the basis of your contract (sign up to our service and we will deliver X, Y &Z). It can be argued that I and others bought our season tickets on the back of the public statements made by the owner and the manager regarding strengthening the team. You cannot deny that the club have fallen short, based on their public promises of improving the team through acquisition of new players and right now, we look a long way off being able to win the league.

Finally, I am not naive enough to think the Anton gives a flying f*ck what you or I think, but this is a forum for Reading FC fans to express their views about the club and the team and I have no qualms about posting my views on here which is the appropriate place for these discussions. Don’t be upset if some peoples views differ from your own.

This pretty much optimises what I said in one big cliche. Personal attack on my intelligence included. Embarrassing.

Show me where

1. You choosing to support a team in buying a season ticket means they have to meet your expectations? Is that in the season ticket contract?
2. Show me where Anton or Adkins said. "I promise to get us promoted and sign loads of players"

They will of said. "We want to get promoted and want to sign three players"

Why would you buy a ticket based on what the owner has to say!?

Bill gates comes out with Windows 23 and say "It's incredible it will change your life and make you breakfast in the morning" do you buy it because you believe him?

Not sure where the personal attack on you is in my post.

1. Obviously not. But any expectations I may have were derived from the clubs public statements of intent.

2. Anton said live on BBCRB about signing 7 players. Adkins said, live on BBCRB as recently as this weekend that he expected to sign 2 or 3 new players before the window shuts. You can confirm this on the iPlayer from this mornings breakfast show if you want.

If you were wavering about buying an ST, promises of (the desire to score) 100 goals and winning the league, backed by the perceived financial strength of TSI, might have swayed you to pay up.

I have been an ST for 20 plus years and will continue regardless as long as I can afford it.

I think, FWIW, that it would be better for customer relations if the club set our expectations to a realistic level. I think they are failing on this count at present.

And I didn't mean to embarrass you... sorry :wink:

Elm Park Kid
Hob Nob Regular

by Elm Park Kid » 03 Sep 2013 14:43

RFC is like any other private company. It runs a tight media management campaign which aims to promote the positives and ignore or mitigate the negatives. Trying to get them to admit they made a mistake is like trying to get the CEO of McDonalds to admit that fast food isn't healthy.

RFC doesn't care about you beyond what income you can bring to the club. If telling you a story means your more likely to buy seasons tickets and merchandise they will do. If this story then causes anger when it's found out to be not true then they will come up with another story to placate you. And so on.

DOYLERSAROYALER
Hob Nob Regular

by DOYLERSAROYALER » 03 Sep 2013 14:50

forget the bullshite coming out from club PR dept......did the club actually speak to any players yesterday????....leaving aside sissoko there in hotel with kebe.....I don't think they did or had any intention to....
Last edited by DOYLERSAROYALER on 03 Sep 2013 14:55, edited 2 times in total.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 03 Sep 2013 14:52

RFCUK Sissoko held talks

All eggs in one rotten basket again - morons!

As for the shyte about keeping top players whilst conveniently overlooking the sale of two top players in the last day or so of the window - do they really think football fans are that thick? Seems there are some inside the club who are far thicker.

Stop insulting our intelligence with such pathetically and obviously spun press releases you barstewards! :twisted:

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 03 Sep 2013 14:56

To be fair they wouldn't get bridge and Drenthe without some sort of ambition.

I don't know how they could start so well then all of a sudden lose two of our best players and do bugger all else.

It's all a little bit confused ! :?:

Let's wait to see what happens though.

Big Ern
Hob Nob Regular

by Big Ern » 03 Sep 2013 15:02

The truth is, regardless of the signings the club has already made and the budgets we operate within, the clubs management of the fans expectations in the closing days of the transfer Window was abysmal. Why state we want 3, it would have been better to say "It is always difficult in the last days of the Window, but we will do our best to add to the squad."

With regards to the potential signing of Sissoko, then this is all very exciting however central midfield is probably the last area we need to strengthen. It is clear to all we need a striker yet we have failed miserably to sign one all summer. Sissoko will be great but he won't score us the goals to give us a realistic chance of promotion

What compounded the problem is that we let go of 2 International Players go and did not replace them. I am sure the club knew they were going for weeks, yet made no plans to replace them. I fear those who think the club will use those funds in the next transfer Window are clearly deluding themselves and it appears Anton has shown his true colors by being all talk with little substance.

melonhead
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by melonhead » 03 Sep 2013 15:09

Big Ern The truth is, regardless of the signings the club has already made and the budgets we operate within, the clubs management of the fans expectations in the closing days of the transfer Window was abysmal. Why state we want 3, it would have been better to say "It is always difficult in the last days of the Window, but we will do our best to add to the squad."

With regards to the potential signing of Sissoko, then this is all very exciting however central midfield is probably the last area we need to strengthen. It is clear to all we need a striker yet we have failed miserably to sign one all summer. Sissoko will be great but he won't score us the goals to give us a realistic chance of promotion

What compounded the problem is that we let go of 2 International Players go and did not replace them. I am sure the club knew they were going for weeks, yet made no plans to replace them. I fear those who think the club will use those funds in the next transfer Window are clearly deluding themselves and it appears Anton has shown his true colors by being all talk with little substance.

i agree with big ern :shock:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 03 Sep 2013 15:15

melonhead
Big Ern The truth is, regardless of the signings the club has already made and the budgets we operate within, the clubs management of the fans expectations in the closing days of the transfer Window was abysmal. Why state we want 3, it would have been better to say "It is always difficult in the last days of the Window, but we will do our best to add to the squad."

i agree with big ern :shock:

So why are you arguing with other people saying the same thing? :|

ddetisi

by ddetisi » 03 Sep 2013 15:24

1. Obviously not. But any expectations I may have were derived from the clubs public statements of intent.

2. Anton said live on BBCRB about signing 7 players. Adkins said, live on BBCRB as recently as this weekend that he expected to sign 2 or 3 new players before the window shuts. You can confirm this on the iPlayer from this mornings breakfast show if you want.

If you were wavering about buying an ST, promises of (the desire to score) 100 goals and winning the league, backed by the perceived financial strength of TSI, might have swayed you to pay up.

I have been an ST for 20 plus years and will continue regardless as long as I can afford it.

I think, FWIW, that it would be better for customer relations if the club set our expectations to a realistic level. I think they are failing on this count at present.

You know what. You're right. I going to jump on the narrow minded bandwagon. I'll try to match your level of contradiction. It's impressive.

I'm outraged! How dare the club state intent and then not live up to my definition of intent. They promised stuff in the past, possibly. Why didn't they just say we we're going to be relegated, that would of made my short term view better.

The PR before a season is one of the main considerations when I buy my ticket! They've tricked me. I'm going to continue to buy my ticket though but I'm not going to buy a hotdog anymore, that'll show them. I still get every right to demand unrealistic changes with no knowledge of the way a football club works in the modern game. thats why i support the team.

Loyal royal

UUURRRZZZ

196 posts