Back from the game ..... charlton

174 posts
paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game ..... charlton

by paddy20 » 04 Dec 2013 00:07

genome "Horrible one-niler" according to Adkins, don't think he's happy with the 2nd half at all judging by his comments.

Great to here him talking sensibly after the game for a change

yappy

by yappy » 04 Dec 2013 00:09

Very impressed by Cummings tonight. Considering it's his first league appearance this season (I think?) and he was playing out of position, I thought he was solid. Better defensively than I remembered. My MOTM.

I don't seem to share the same dislike as some fans for Akpan, but he was truely awful tonight, one of the worst cameos I've seen. It's a real concern that he was the only slightly defensive option we had on the bench.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 04 Dec 2013 00:09

MmmMonsterMunch
paultheroyal Not the greatest game. Another good start but so frustrating that we can't sustain the good periods of palsy.

Thought that they should of had a nailed on penalty.

Akpan and Blackman are league one players but jeering and cheering him sarcastically is not a smart move.

Thought the bloke who did the half time quiz was an absolute legend.

From where I sat, I thought Church looked for it & the ref got it spot on. Not seen the replay though...

:lol: We sustained several periods of palsy from what I saw tonight.

paddy20
Hob Nob Regular

by paddy20 » 04 Dec 2013 00:10

Hope our fitness hasn't dropped with the arrival of the new sports scientist. We looked totally knackered at the end and we had an extra days rest from last Friday

yappy

by yappy » 04 Dec 2013 00:12

paddy20 Hope our fitness hasn't dropped with the arrival of the new sports scientist. We looked totally knackered at the end and we had an extra days rest from last Friday

Problem was that we were doing all the chasing in the last 20 minutes. Couldn't seem to keep hold of the ball.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 04 Dec 2013 00:12

winchester_royal
P!ssed Off
winchester_royal
Yeah, cheers for that but I've seen more than my fair share of dross this season (Yeovil (a), Barnsley (a), Burnley (a), Sheff Wed (a)), and I managed to refrain from booing at any point of any of those games so I'll allow myself to sit on my high horse on this occasion. Ta.

By all means be irritated at the performance and have a good moan with your m8s, but booing? Nah, that's not on. Imho.

Of course you didn't complain one bit, but that doesn't mean that 20,000 other people will always applaud crap like you do.
Sorry winch, but always putting up with rubbish and never complaining isn't necessarily a badge of pride/loyalty. It's a sign that you're a doormat.

Normally you're pretty sharp PO but that really is quite poor.

I'm not saying that I'm Mr Loyal, nor that everyone should always clap and cheer regardless of result/performance, but I am saying that I believe booing a substitution is poor form especially when you're fcuking winning and your bench options are massively limited by injuries, and I also think that given this is only the 3rd game of the season that I've missed I am in a reasonable position to pass judgement and don't appreciate the 'armchair fan' implication that you were chucking my way.

It came with a wink, I'm well aware that you attend more than most.
I won't be going on Saturday, probably for the same reason that you didn't go tonight.
But I won't be criticising any fan on Saturday who's put the effort into going, they've paid high money for a ticket and travel, and are spending their Saturday watching the team in the cold. They can say what they like, as far as I'm concerned.

Brum Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Brum Royal » 04 Dec 2013 00:14

genome
Brum Royal
SLAMMED Still have that fcking song in my head :x

CAFC . . . . the team for me . . . . then random noise

When I was young
I followed 'em
CAFC
The team for me...

:evil:

Are they attempting to rhyme "young" with "'em" there :?:

That's how it sounded to me certainly

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 04 Dec 2013 00:16

yappy
paddy20 Hope our fitness hasn't dropped with the arrival of the new sports scientist. We looked totally knackered at the end and we had an extra days rest from last Friday

Problem was that we were doing all the chasing in the last 20 minutes. Couldn't seem to keep hold of the ball.

I'm not trying to have a pop at Adkins here, but I sit quite near the dugout and often see the same thing.

1st half: Him and Crosby are always at the team "Press! Press!" "Chase! Chase!"

This is all very well, but 2nd half we often look absolutely knackered.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 04 Dec 2013 00:16

P!ssed Off It was a borderline yellowcard dive, Pearce touched him slightly so he got away with it.
Poor from McCarthy though, if he'd came and collected he would have got there 10 minutes before Church.

Thought Kelly was the defender? Incident was right in front of me in the North Stand and it looked pretty clear cut penalty to me. Kelly was nowhere near the ball. Church did no more than any other striker does - ie look for the pen. Agreed on McCarthy though. Poor decision not to come for it and put it into the stands.

Humanistic

by Humanistic » 04 Dec 2013 00:17

So, on the evidence of tonight, Cummings or Kelly for left back on Saturday?

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 04 Dec 2013 00:17

Said the same thing in an earlier post about our fitness levels being low

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 04 Dec 2013 00:18

P!ssed Off It came with a wink, I'm well aware that you attend more than most.
I won't be going on Saturday, probably for the same reason that you didn't go tonight.
But I won't be criticising any fan on Saturday who's put the effort into going, they've paid high money for a ticket and travel, and are spending their Saturday watching the team in the cold. They can say what they like, as far as I'm concerned.

Fair enough. I agree to an extent, but draw a line at booing while we're winning. Mainly because it does impact on the players, as Charlie Watts seems to be indicating, and atm we really need a strengthening of the team/fans bond rather than further weakening it.

MmmMonsterMunch
Hob Nob Addict

by MmmMonsterMunch » 04 Dec 2013 00:18

Humanistic So, on the evidence of tonight, Cummings or Kelly for left back on Saturday?

Same as tonight. Cummings did a much better job than at LB than Kelly has so far. He was very good tonight considering the lack of match fitness. Glad he's taken his chance & I'd like to see him get a run in the team now.

marlowuk

by marlowuk » 04 Dec 2013 00:20

Three points; a clean sheet - what's not to like? Well - plenty really. In the second half we were the worst I've seen us so far this season. Simple passes going astray; no energy; too timid to shoot when in a position to; still crap at throw-ins! Very frustrating particularly after such a good result at Forest.

Williams did well (he made the first goal with his persistence to win the ball back after we lost it) until he was subbed but, as has already been said, two 90-minute games in a few days coming off an injury was asking too much.

Cummings was MOTM for me. He was solid defensively and showed some skill in attack too.

Sharp took his goal well but didn't do much else (a la AF).

Pog was OK but he falls far too easily so when he is genuinely fouled the ref doesn't give it.

Guthrie had an off-game and was responsible for some dire passing at times.

We missed Gunter. Yes - really - we did! He is a better attacking option on the right than Kelly imho.

I wouldn't have complained if Charlton had got a draw. They didn't really deserve it but we didn't deserve to win! We have to make allowances for the fact that we have been beset by injuries and so have not been able to keep a settled team but the fare served up in second half particularly was very poor.

yappy

by yappy » 04 Dec 2013 00:21

Humanistic So, on the evidence of tonight, Cummings or Kelly for left back on Saturday?

Cummings for me.

P!ssed Off
Hob Nob Regular

by P!ssed Off » 04 Dec 2013 00:24

yappy

Cummings for me.

Hard to say.
IMO, 1st half when everyone was playing well and we were mostly attacking I thought Cummings looked our weakest player.
2nd half, when most people were shit and it was mainly defending Cummings did quite well though.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 04 Dec 2013 00:27

think there's a double decision. Think it's either cummings & McAnuff or Kelly & Obita. Not sure I'd want to see Cummings & Obita together. I reckon Cummings may get the nod for Saturday though

Gunny Fishcake
Hob Nob Regular

by Gunny Fishcake » 04 Dec 2013 00:33

Dirtiest 1-0 win in recent history, truly shocking performance but a win is a win,forget and move on

The Quiet Man

by The Quiet Man » 04 Dec 2013 00:35

Close your eyes and that could have been any performance from the McDermott era. Couldn't keep the ball, outplayed, yet we got a win - you can't complain. Longer term you have to wonder about that team/squad if it went up it would need huge surgery. There was absolutely no pace throughout the performance and you have to wonder if they are leaving their fitness on the training field. Main problem tonight was that Guthrie had a poor game and was completely knackered with about 25 minutes to go. At some point you have to realize that you can't keep playing fanny football round the back four and keeper that results in an aimless punt that gives the ball back to the opposition you have to actually move the ball up the field. To be fair to NA he was constantly asking for tempo and movement from the sideline and not getting it. MOTM McCarthy save against Church right on half time got us the 3 points.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 04 Dec 2013 00:36

P!ssed Off A word about Royston Drenthe:
There was not a chance that he was getting on the pitch tonight, Adkins obviously just put him on the bench to keep him happy.
His 'warming-up' right in front of me on the sidelines was a an absolute embarrassment.
After a bit of skill practice at HT he left the pitch huffin' and puffin' like an asthmatic going up stairs.

Don't care what he says on Instagram. He is NOT FIT.

Of course he's not fit, he's an embarrassment to his profession with all the motivation of a child kept behind for extra maths lessons.

Overweight, unfit, lazy, terrible signing.

174 posts