Which moment in RFC history do you wish you could erase?

genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Which moment in RFC history do you wish you could erase?

by genome » 07 Feb 2015 10:03

Karacan hitting the post at 2-3. :cry:

Jobi getting the ball in the centre circle, waltzing round several Liverpool players, about to score the greatest goal the FA cup had ever seen, and putting it wide.

semtex1871
Hob Nob Regular
Location: The sneering condescension of the remain ultras.....

by semtex1871 » 07 Feb 2015 10:04

Nameless
Releasing Charlie Austin

I didn't know he had been at Reading :oops:

released for being too short apparently......now 6' 2"!!!!

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 07 Feb 2015 11:10

semtex1871
Nameless
Releasing Charlie Austin

Don't know how true this is but I had heard it was a choice between keeping Austin or Church and it was thought that Church was the better prospect and possibly the fact we had had to pay a fee to Wycombe to take him from their youth set up also was a factor.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 07 Feb 2015 11:50

A couple of injuries spring to mind for me. Gilkes' first broken leg - never really regained his full pace - and Sonko's knee injury - had a huge career in front of him IMO but never fully committed to the big tackles following that.

riverroyal

by riverroyal » 07 Feb 2015 14:04

At the time Annie Bassett and RFC making the Southbank member card holders only.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 07 Feb 2015 20:46

Mr Optimist
semtex1871
Nameless
Releasing Charlie Austin

Don't know how true this is but I had heard it was a choice between keeping Austin or Church and it was thought that Church was the better prospect and possibly the fact we had had to pay a fee to Wycombe to take him from their youth set up also was a factor.

"Too short" is a euphemism. It's kinder to tell a 15 year old you're releasing him for reasons out of his control than because he's rubbish. We signed 165cm Jem Karacan a few months later.

It wasn't a choice between Austin and Church exactly. Church's arrival (kind of as a part of the Nathan Tyson deal) made Austin redundant. It was closer to being a choice between Austin and Bignall, which is even worse.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 08 Feb 2015 21:32

Off the picture, the sale to Anton

On the pitch, the Bolton equaliser, an absolute dagger to the heart. Like many other older fans, I felt that was our one and only opportunity and was in no doubt Bolton would go on and win.

Special mention to Walsall's equaliser and Arsenal's 4-4 equaliser, both of which were sickening.

As a less predictable one, George Duck's 4 times taken penalty for Wealdstone, seemed a disaster at the time as a 13 year old

Faithful Son

by Faithful Son » 08 Feb 2015 22:55

Meanwhile memory to erase, RFC selling Robin Friday, and to Cardiff for a mere £60,000[/quote]

Robin Friday's sale to Cardiff was not just a footballing decision. For those of us who had the misfortune to drink in Reading town centre during Friday's heyday will probably confirm that off the pitch he was a dick of the highest magnitude. He was getting into serious trouble with some of the town's more unsavoury characters and according to my sister who worked for the S.E.B. at the time he was in trouble with them for breaking into his Leccy meter. On top of this the way the club continued to let him get away with murder was causing resentment amongst his team mates. Taking all of these things into consideration getting £60k for a player with his reputation was a good piece of business. Even more so when you consider he only made a handful of appearances for Cardiff before turning his back on the game completely.

From Despair To Where?
Hob Nob Legend

by From Despair To Where? » 09 Feb 2015 10:11

Silver Fox When that bellend held up the piece of paper with Parjudus on it

Good call, Made us all look like a bunch of small minded, ignorant provincial hicks. We may indeed be a bunch of small minded, ignorant provincial hicks but we really don't need it being confirmed live on national television.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 09 Feb 2015 10:27

Car Park Crew.

Guilt tripped a club legend to stay on another year even though his heart wasn't in it any more then were the first to turn on him when it all started to go tits up towards the end of the season. This messed him up so much he sullied his reputation even further by racing to hellholes such as Bristol, Crawley and Portsmouth just to escape from the lunatics.

:wink:

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 09 Feb 2015 11:07

Faithful Son Meanwhile memory to erase, RFC selling Robin Friday, and to Cardiff for a mere £60,000

Robin Friday's sale to Cardiff was not just a footballing decision. For those of us who had the misfortune to drink in Reading town centre during Friday's heyday will probably confirm that off the pitch he was a dick of the highest magnitude. He was getting into serious trouble with some of the town's more unsavoury characters and according to my sister who worked for the S.E.B. at the time he was in trouble with them for breaking into his Leccy meter. On top of this the way the club continued to let him get away with murder was causing resentment amongst his team mates. Taking all of these things into consideration getting £60k for a player with his reputation was a good piece of business. Even more so when you consider he only made a handful of appearances for Cardiff before turning his back on the game completely.[/quote]

what you report may or may not be true (prolly the truth is in between), but he was a massive asset to the club on the pitch and easily the most entertaining player I've seen at RFC.

Reading6Barrow3

by Reading6Barrow3 » 09 Feb 2015 12:18

I always understood Friday's fee was only £30,000.

If he had stayed with us, and Charlie Hurley had remained manager, I am sure he would have stayed in the game longer, and continued to be one of the best players I have ever seen at Reading.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 09 Feb 2015 12:31

I understood Friday's fee was £30k as well.

VOR

by VOR » 09 Feb 2015 12:35

Archie's pen at Wembley (and McAteer not being sent off) at Wembley 95. The only time I have wept after a match :( . However, we were not ready for the Prem and would have got slaughtered

Another contender - Terry Bell's own goal at Villa in 71 that relegated us to 4th division for first time - took us nearly 15 years to recover from that

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 09 Feb 2015 13:09

Vision Car Park Crew.

Guilt tripped a club legend to stay on another year even though his heart wasn't in it any more

Shout :!:

No Fixed Abode

by No Fixed Abode » 09 Feb 2015 13:13

When Chelsea beat Reading at the Mad Stad and some Reading fans printed up 'diving' scores, and also the diving chant with the gay diving action. I felt embarrassed for you.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 09 Feb 2015 13:16

The 2nd half vs Villa in the cup in 2010 was particularly gutting

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 09 Feb 2015 13:17

No Fixed Abode When Chelsea beat Reading at the Mad Stad and some Reading fans printed up 'diving' scores, and also the diving chant with the gay diving action. I felt embarrassed for you.

nice try and lol at any chelsea fan feeling embarrassed for their fan feeder club

WoodleyRoyal
Hob Nob Addict
Location: when was the last time you did something for the first time?

by WoodleyRoyal » 09 Feb 2015 13:18

pants day! highlighting to nation utter belmontary

Handsome Man
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Practically Rock Paper Scissors Champion of the World

by Handsome Man » 09 Feb 2015 13:34

My choice would be from the few injuries that were career-ending - Canoville and Caspar - or meant the players weren't any good anymore - Senior's throat, Butler's fracture, Doyle.