Call time on Pog

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Call time on Pog

by Ian Royal » 08 Mar 2015 15:15

I know there's nothing particularly special about Taylor, but I find myself really liking him. I think he's been a bit hard done by with the limited pitch time he's had since the injury crisis and in particular, the virtually zero opportunities he's had in what seems to be his natural position (number 10).

I'd quite happily see him and Tanner backing up Cox in the second striker / attacking midfielder role next season. Tanner or Taylor might even work better than Cox in behind Pog as I think they might be more inclined to burst past him, rather than Cox sort of feeding off him. Which worked well for Cox with Murray.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 08 Mar 2015 15:34

Ian Royal I know there's nothing particularly special about Taylor, but I find myself really liking him. I think he's been a bit hard done by with the limited pitch time he's had since the injury crisis and in particular, the virtually zero opportunities he's had in what seems to be his natural position (number 10).

I'd quite happily see him and Tanner backing up Cox in the second striker / attacking midfielder role next season. Tanner or Taylor might even work better than Cox in behind Pog as I think they might be more inclined to burst past him, rather than Cox sort of feeding off him. Which worked well for Cox with Murray.

Fully agree with this. I'm quietly willing him to make it to 20 seasons with us (2019-2020). Then 2020-21 would make it 10 years with us following his debut.

Expecting a complete and utter whoosh here, but what's the record for chronologically longest playing career with us? Martin Hicks and Steve Death played for us for 13 years compared to Taylor's 15 (so far), also longer than Richardson, Parky or Murty. I'm guessing someone who survived one of the wars? Or else a pre-Football League player?

yappy

by yappy » 08 Mar 2015 15:44

I've always been quite critical of Pog, and I think that is mainly due to expecting a lot more from him when he signed. Truth is he's a decent striker at this level, but doesn't warrant the wages he earns. I'd quite happily keep him as a squad player going forward (not necessarily a guaranteed starter, as I think we can improve on him e.g. Murray was keeping him out the team) but only if his wages were in line with that. Will be interesting to see what happens next summer as I can't imagine there will be a great deal of interest in him. It may well be we could try and negotiate a better deal for us if other clubs aren't willing to pay up his current wage.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Mar 2015 16:47

I don't dislike Pog the Bloke but I cannot think of a game where he has run the opposition ragged
like the best games from Long/Hunt, Doyle, Kitson, Roberts, and to some extent Murray.

I suspect he has an appearance bonus. If he has, I'd give up on him and play Cox-Mackie

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Mar 2015 17:04

SCIAG
Ian Royal I know there's nothing particularly special about Taylor, but I find myself really liking him. I think he's been a bit hard done by with the limited pitch time he's had since the injury crisis and in particular, the virtually zero opportunities he's had in what seems to be his natural position (number 10).

Fully agree with this. I'm quietly willing him to make it to 20 seasons with us (2019-2020). Then 2020-21 would make it 10 years with us following his debut.

Expecting a complete and utter whoosh here, but what's the record for chronologically longest playing career with us? Martin Hicks and Steve Death played for us for 13 years compared to Taylor's 15 (so far), also longer than Richardson, Parky or Murty. I'm guessing someone who survived one of the wars? Or else a pre-Football League player?

How long was Adie in the youth set up? Or wasn't he? Although I spose he left for a few years too.

RoyallyFcuked
Hob Nob Regular

by RoyallyFcuked » 08 Mar 2015 19:19

Dr_Hfuhruhurr There's way too much half heartedness on this thread. I think he's absolutely bloody awful.

"He put in a shift" - he doesnt really, because he does all the wrong things. Ive seen plenty of players whose main strength is continuously running after the ball like its got a bell in it, but none as cowardly or as conservative as him. He lives in a state of perpetual fear as if making a mistake will cause a tear in the Pogrebnyak fabric of time. Frankly, if he's going to pass the ball sideways or back to midfield for an entire season then we might as well not play him at all. A few shots a game or, wait for it, creating your own chances (no, really, I mean it) wouldnt go amiss. Someone mentioned his wages arent a problem - of course they are. This isnt financial jealousy, its the fact that there is a huge difference in teams whose biggest earner is their star player, and teams whose biggest earner is completely anonymous.

This is pretty much how I feel, although on reflection I may have been a little harsh on Pog. Any striker would find it hard to score goals in this team, with this style of play. (Although a better striker would have scored more, e.g Murray.) It's also true that he wouldn't get as much stick if didn't have such high wages, which isn't his fault.

His shot off the post was unlucky yesterday, you could see by his reaction it meant something to him as well. Would have been great for him and us fans if it had been a couple of inches further to the right, gone in off the post and been the match winner. Might have done his confidence some good too.

RoyalTJ

Is Pogrebnyak Good Enough?

by RoyalTJ » 16 Mar 2015 14:01

Personally, I think he's pretty crap, probably a 4.5/10 overall. But on his day he can be about 8/10 but never seen him exceed that. What do yu think? Answer the poll then give your rating!

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Is Pogrebnyak Good Enough?

by Forbury Lion » 16 Mar 2015 14:09

Pogrebnyak is good enough, but we can do better and should look to do so.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Mar 2015 14:10

Not for the wages he's on. But he's not a bad player I don't think, people's opinions of him are skewed because of how much we pay him.

windermere_royal
Hob Nob Regular

by windermere_royal » 16 Mar 2015 14:13

Pity we don`t have a search function on this forum.

Sidindaclub

by Sidindaclub » 16 Mar 2015 14:29

I wonder who would sign POG, with his form this season and last season. We are struggling to offload him it seems.

Prem? NO
Championship side pushing for playoffs? NO
Championship side near relegation? NO
League one team? NO
League two team? POSSIBLY
Random Russian Prem side? YES

CYA LATER MATE

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 16 Mar 2015 14:50

Whatever happened to Ken Dodd?

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 16 Mar 2015 14:51

A law unto himself.When he can be arsed he can be quite impressive and earn his crust.Too many times he seems to just go through the motions so gets thumbs down.

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 16 Mar 2015 14:51

He's a solid Championship player on Premier League wages.

Sidindaclub

by Sidindaclub » 16 Mar 2015 14:58

tidus_mi2 He's a solid Championship player on Premier League wages.

Howmany championship sides would have pog starting up front realistically?

Maybe blackpool?

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 16 Mar 2015 16:07

Is this thread about Maria Pogrebnyak or her husband, Pavel?

I'd say Maria was definitely good enough.

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 16 Mar 2015 16:11

Everytime I hear Pavel I think of the farting Polish kid from Family Guy.