BFTG - Bristol City

134 posts
genome
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG - Bristol City

by genome » 02 Jan 2016 22:25

WestRoyal
genome Anyway, my comments.

I thought we were pretty bad today and that it was a nailed-on 0-0 draw, but it was superb to grab that goal, I love last minute winners, one of my favourite things in football. A much needed 3 points and the fact it came in the 90th minute might give our confidence more of a boost than a routine win.

I feel most of all we lacked urgency and energy going forward, especially from Blackman and Sa, that may well be a confidence thing. This improved a LOT when G-Mac came on, but I still could've seen a bit more impetus from other players off the ball when he was putting pressure on their left-back. Vydra should've put away some gilt-edged chances and for the fee we paid for him he should be banging those in. I like other aspects of his game though, did well for the goal, although he was winning a ball back that I think he lost in the first place.

Al-Habsi 5 - Not a save to make so hard to rate him. 5 seems harsh, but dunno if I can mark him up for anything!
Gunter 6 - Some good moments, some bad.
Cooper 7.5 - Very good
McShane 5 - Can't remember much of him before he went off.
Taylor 5 - A dodgy mistake that nearly let a player through, otherwise OK
Norwood 6 - His passing was hot and cold, didn't look as good as previous
Williams 7 - I love his energy and work rate, needs better vision, but put the amount of effort in I want to see from the rest of the team.
Quinn 7 - Good, couple of great tackles, moved to LB comfortably
Vydra 6 - As above, should be putting those chances away easily. Just needs a goal.
Blackman 6.5 - Again as above, just looks uninterested and lacking energy at times. Good winner.
Sa 5 - Good hold up play, not much else though.

Subs
Ferdinand 7 - Looked very assured coming back, harshly booked for a 50/50.
McCleary 7 - Changed the game, crossing perhaps could've been better
HRK 6.5 - Brought some energy to the team but not much quality, was a good tactical switch by B-Mac

Seems to be always a gripe about his crossing but considering he gets so many in it was decent today. Sometimes a ball can only be put into a danger area where you expect a cross to be attacked so the anticipation & the movement of the forwards could also be questioned not just the delivery

I think I remember a couple being overhit? I agree though, and said as much earlier in the post. Perhaps it's a matter of consistency and the forwards will get into the right areas.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 Jan 2016 22:26

Dave Gale
Hoop Blah Weren't all the loan players available involved?

We had Vydra and Taylor in the starting 11 with Piazon and Fernandez on the bench. The only loanees not involved were Hector and John, both of whom were unavailable. I wouldn't see that as any great change in approach (if that's what you were implying).

Fernandez wasn't included in the squad nor hurtardo. Both were fit - McDermott said he doesn't know them and has had a chat they need to fight to get involved.

Why do so many people think Hurtado is on loan?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 02 Jan 2016 22:27

Best part of the day was Cooper winning MOTM.... a truely local boy stepping in for billy big bollocks Hector

Well done Cooper

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jan 2016 22:28

Dave Gale

We had Vydra and Taylor in the starting 11 with Piazon and Fernandez on the bench. The only loanees not involved were Hector and John, both of whom were unavailable. I wouldn't see that as any great change in approach (if that's what you were implying).

Fernandez wasn't included in the squad nor hurtardo. Both were fit - McDermott said he doesn't know them and has had a chat they need to fight to get involved.

Hurtado is not a loan player :lol:

Why do people get so confused about this?

Dave Gale

by Dave Gale » 02 Jan 2016 22:29

I said he was on loan to someone in asda the other day having a chat and they corrected me then!!! My bad.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 Jan 2016 22:30

Did anyone work out what formation Bristol city played today? McCleary looked really good, but then there wasn't a left back for the whole of the second half. Their number 23, who I think was playing as let wing back, was absolute pish.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 02 Jan 2016 22:33

Dave Gale

My mistake, I thought Fernandez was out there at half time but it must've been Keown.

Lower West
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Lower West » 02 Jan 2016 22:42

genome
Dave Gale
Hurtado is not a loan player :lol:

Why do people get so confused about this?

Might as well be.

RoyalinBracknell

by RoyalinBracknell » 02 Jan 2016 22:42

CountryRoyal I'm amazed with the positive remarks, which I'm sure would not have appeared quite in the same manner had we not got that injury time goal.

It's almost as if the final result is a significant part of the match! :wink:

After our recent run, the most important thing today was the win and great that we managed to get it. How many winning goals did we get after 80+ minutes under Adkins/Clarke? Not sure it was too many.

A few seasons ago when we finished 7th we drew 1-1 at home to Barnsley and Yeovil, both of whom I think got relegated. Last year we lost 1-0 at home to Wigan who went down. I wouldn't be surprised if Bristol City went down this season but either way when you're not playing great you need to be able to grind out wins and we just about did that today.

We played some really good stuff in the second half of 09/10 but as I recall the league run started with a fairly turgid 1-0 win against Barnsley. Hopefully we can get a bit of momentum in terms of results - both in the FA Cup and the League - over the next few weeks and the standard of performance might improve with it.

Cooper was my MOTM today. I hope he gets a run in the team now.

And in response to something posted above I wouldn't expect too many changes for the FA Cup game next week - McDermott has always tended to take the competition seriously with us and given we're still some way away from the play-off places I'm sure he'd like to have a good cup run if possible.

3points
Hob Nob Regular

by 3points » 02 Jan 2016 22:46

Y26 very quiet today. More noise from the North Stand. Too preoccupied with the away fans' antics I guess?

bobby1413
Hob Nob Addict

by bobby1413 » 02 Jan 2016 23:05

3points Y26 very quiet today. More noise from the North Stand. Too preoccupied with the away fans' antics I guess?

Agree.... but there were no away fans antics (till the end)

What happened today.... it was dead in terms of atmosphere

genome
Hob Nob Legend

by genome » 02 Jan 2016 23:46

This video perfectly encapsulates the belmonting helmism of some of the City supporters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wqtdtou8zLE

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 02 Jan 2016 23:56

Lol

Saturday's warriors....Mondays' lawyers/office managers/doctors etc etc

Posturing has become so passé

The Prisoner
Hob Nob Regular

by The Prisoner » 02 Jan 2016 23:57

Apparently Cotterill spat @ Blackman in the tunnel?

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Jan 2016 00:02

Blackmans "bad attitude" again :roll:

royalsroyalsroyals92

by royalsroyalsroyals92 » 03 Jan 2016 00:18

bobby1413 Best part of the day was Cooper winning MOTM.... a truely local boy stepping in for billy big bollocks Hector

Well done Cooper

It is a great story - but too be fair, I don't feel Hector's attitude has changed from last season - he's always been a bit arrogant, and I would still question his sanity if he honestly believes he'll ever actually play for chelsea...

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Jan 2016 00:24

Like Bertrand etc before him, he will be a journeyman loanee

Not as though he'll care....Chelsea money > Reading money

.......and a + on the cv

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 03 Jan 2016 00:52

AthleticoSpizz Lol

Saturday's warriors....Mondays' lawyers/office managers/doctors etc etc

Posturing has become so passé

i'm liking the concept that office managers are in the same professional category as doctors and lawyers.

however i would be willing to bet that there were very few doctors or lawyers in that footage

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 03 Jan 2016 00:58

Yes...you can tell by the whites of their eyes that they are all bricklayers, dockies and policemen

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 03 Jan 2016 01:09

paultheroyal Proper wing play, Blackman through the middle and we were a different team. McDermott take note.

Cooper excellent.
Vydra excellent. Real class. Brilliant work rate. Needs that goal. Not sure if he is one step ahead of our players, or midfield to slow in picking him out.
Gunter great running but short passes were woeful.
Corners, just horrendous. Would rather us go short and then play it in as time and time again we fail to clear the first defender.
Remove Norwood from that team and we would struggle. Makes us tick and puts a tackle in.

Their fans, just :lol:

Hopefully the 2016 push is on!

Blackman should never ever play out wide on the right. He cannot use his right foot and never even threatens to go outside his man.
McCleary out wide added width and options and guess what a few crosses.

Agree about Gunter. He must be getting sick of running into space and being ignored by Blackman. When Blackman did pass he was woeful two out of three that I recall

And yes this team without Norwood would be a shambles - he is outstanding week after week. Thought he looked a little weary late on today.

134 posts