Ince & Ince appreciation thread.

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Ince & Ince appreciation thread.

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Feb 2023 15:27

PATRIQT
morganb Former England midfielder Carlton Palmer believes Paul Ince has done more than enough at Reading FC this season to earn a new contract.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... g-26298143

I like P. Ince, and I'm extremely grateful for what he's achieved here against all of the odds, but I'm not convinced he should be here long-term. Tactically he's all over the place. Perhaps that would change in the summer when the embargo is lifted and he can mould the team to a specific style, but I'm not convinced P. Ince has a particular style.

I heard last week that we are the first club Ince has managed that he's completed a full year with! :shock:

(He left MKD a day shy of a year anniversary)

I wouldn't necessarily agree with the bit about not having a particular style. It will have been very hard to try and build any sort of style given the restrictions we've had, but even with them you can see we've built a strong side, full of big players that are committed to the cause, give what they can and are battle-hardened. It's as clear as day the opposite from last season, where we were a soft touch, we just aren't that this season. I think P.Ince deserves credit there because he's installed that and I think this team currently matches the image of the player he once was.

I don't doubt P.Ince will want to shift away from where we currently are, I'm sure he will want more technical players, I'm sure he will want us to have more of the ball, be more on the front foot etc, all these positive mantras that us, as fans, want to hear and will get us out of our seats. I think he deserves a good opportunity to change that, a window or two and I think/hope he will be quite successful as well. He won't be the manager that takes us up, but I can see him having at least next year and then possibly a decision could be made come the end of his contract.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 22 Feb 2023 15:50

Greatwesternline
Snowflake Royal
Greatwesternline
That's true. I shall rephrase. There will be plenty of fans of other clubs muttering about how we managed to pull those off, and plenty of other clubs muttering that our sanctions aren't strict enough if they enable us to assemble what looks on paper to be one of the best attacking quartets in the league.

Well, they all had the opportunity to sign 33 year old Andy Carroll and 35 year old Shane Long. It's not like we struck like lightning. We even got Carroll outside the window.

Are you suggesting Shane Long is old and past it? Speaking as a 35 year old i find that ageist.

I dont understand how we got Carroll. He is a great footballer. I dont understand why teams at the bottom of the PL dont want him to bring on with 10 minutes to go for route 1 when losing. Maybe he doesnt want that himself.

We got Carroll as he is at the stage of his career where he is prioritising his family life and they are settled a relatively easy commute from Bearwood. The club also took a chance on him last year when everyone else decided he was washed up. Again, no-one moved for him ahead of us this summer, so it is a relatively happy marriage of convenience.

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 22 Feb 2023 16:11

YorkshireRoyal99
PATRIQT
morganb Former England midfielder Carlton Palmer believes Paul Ince has done more than enough at Reading FC this season to earn a new contract.

https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/foot ... g-26298143

I like P. Ince, and I'm extremely grateful for what he's achieved here against all of the odds, but I'm not convinced he should be here long-term. Tactically he's all over the place. Perhaps that would change in the summer when the embargo is lifted and he can mould the team to a specific style, but I'm not convinced P. Ince has a particular style.

I heard last week that we are the first club Ince has managed that he's completed a full year with! :shock:

I wouldn't necessarily agree with the bit about not having a particular style. It will have been very hard to try and build any sort of style given the restrictions we've had, but even with them you can see we've built a strong side, full of big players that are committed to the cause, give what they can and are battle-hardened. It's as clear as day the opposite from last season, where we were a soft touch, we just aren't that this season. I think P.Ince deserves credit there because he's installed that and I think this team currently matches the image of the player he once was.

I don't doubt P.Ince will want to shift away from where we currently are, I'm sure he will want more technical players, I'm sure he will want us to have more of the ball, be more on the front foot etc, all these positive mantras that us, as fans, want to hear and will get us out of our seats. I think he deserves a good opportunity to change that, a window or two and I think/hope he will be quite successful as well. He won't be the manager that takes us up, but I can see him having at least next year and then possibly a decision could be made come the end of his contract.

I say he’s deserved to start next season as manager but so much depends on the summer transfer activity and what tactics/formation he adopts. Playing 5 at the back and packing midfield against struggling teams in the division is NOT what I want to see next year and if he persists with that sort of negativity he should go immediately.

Hoping the scouting operation can unearth Nicky Forster’s much younger brother somewhere.

Actually has any Reading manager since BM’s first go actually decided to consistently play to the club’s strengths rather than just piddling about trying to stop the opposition in every game?

YorkshireRoyal99
Hob Nob Addict

by YorkshireRoyal99 » 22 Feb 2023 16:21

Sutekh
YorkshireRoyal99
PATRIQT

I say he’s deserved to start next season as manager but so much depends on the summer transfer activity and what tactics/formation he adopts. Playing 5 at the back and packing midfield against struggling teams in the division is NOT what I want to see next year and if he persists with that sort of negativity he should go immediately.

Hoping the scouting operation can unearth Nicky Forster’s much younger brother somewhere.

Actually has any Reading manager since BM’s first go actually decided to consistently play to the club’s strengths rather than just piddling about trying to stop the opposition in every game?

Oh yeah definitely, if we keep going the way we have into next season then I can imagine it won't last very long, although I'd be pretty confident that wouldn't be the case.

Royal_jimmy
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal_jimmy » 22 Feb 2023 18:50

I've had my moans about Ince but he's got a great opportunity now to show Dai and all of us fans why he should be in charge next season.

Let's get to 50 points as quickly as we can which will probably guarantee safety, then there's opportunity to try some different tactics, systems and players. If Ince can improve our away form without killing us at home and we finish top half then I'll be more supportive of him staying. But if we end the season with a whimper with these same negative tactics then Ince isn't the man for the job. He should also remind the players that many are playing for their next contract.

Greatwesternline
Hob Nob Addict

by Greatwesternline » 23 Feb 2023 11:05

Stranded
Greatwesternline
Snowflake Royal Well, they all had the opportunity to sign 33 year old Andy Carroll and 35 year old Shane Long. It's not like we struck like lightning. We even got Carroll outside the window.

Are you suggesting Shane Long is old and past it? Speaking as a 35 year old i find that ageist.

I dont understand how we got Carroll. He is a great footballer. I dont understand why teams at the bottom of the PL dont want him to bring on with 10 minutes to go for route 1 when losing. Maybe he doesnt want that himself.

We got Carroll as he is at the stage of his career where he is prioritising his family life and they are settled a relatively easy commute from Bearwood. The club also took a chance on him last year when everyone else decided he was washed up. Again, no-one moved for him ahead of us this summer, so it is a relatively happy marriage of convenience.

Having seen how our strike force is panning out i can see how we got Long and Carroll. Carroll still knows where the goal is and wins essentially every header but his touch is gone. I still think if i was Southampton I would have him as a last 10 minute route 1 option.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Apr 2023 12:10

Bumping this to counter the negativity.

The details of the restrictions we had has highlighted the monumental task he had just to keep us up. And without the deduction, at 7 points clear at this stage of the season that's impressive.

Not just Paul, but clearly his son too has busted a gut to do well for us/ keep his dad in a job. They've really tried hard.

Shame Tom is injured, but I'm totally behind these guys.

Come on lads I for one believe in and appreciate you.

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 06 Apr 2023 12:58

Millsy Bumping this to counter the negativity.

The details of the restrictions we had has highlighted the monumental task he had just to keep us up. And without the deduction, at 7 points clear at this stage of the season that's impressive.

Not just Paul, but clearly his son too has busted a gut to do well for us/ keep his dad in a job. They've really tried hard.

True, but 1 point clear.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 06 Apr 2023 13:38

PATRIQT

True, but 1 point clear.

Without the deduction. The 6 points isn't his fault.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Apr 2023 13:40

Do you honestly think Ince's performance is impressive given the resources he's had to work with?

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 06 Apr 2023 13:54

Snowflake Royal Do you honestly think Ince's performance is impressive given the resources he's had to work with?

Seeing as that we were written off by all and sundry at the beginning of the season and he was almost odds on to be the first manager sacked in the league? He hasn't done too bad.

There were so many people saying it would be a miracle if we didn't get relegated and we were well on the way to achieving that before the deduction.

Yes, the wheels have fallen off a bit at the back end of the season, but if we stay up, he will have done his job.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 06 Apr 2023 15:02

Hendo
Snowflake Royal Do you honestly think Ince's performance is impressive given the resources he's had to work with?

Seeing as that we were written off by all and sundry at the beginning of the season and he was almost odds on to be the first manager sacked in the league? He hasn't done too bad.

There were so many people saying it would be a miracle if we didn't get relegated and we were well on the way to achieving that before the deduction.

Yes, the wheels have fallen off a bit at the back end of the season, but if we stay up, he will have done his job.

we've declined rapidly, we're terrible at the moment

PATRIQT

by PATRIQT » 06 Apr 2023 15:30

Millsy
PATRIQT

True, but 1 point clear.

Without the deduction. The 6 points isn't his fault.

Not his fault, but his responsibility to get the points needed to keep us up. Considering early season form, there are no excuses.

Crowbar6753

by Crowbar6753 » 06 Apr 2023 15:34

What he did at the end of last season and lets say up until Christmas was a job very well done under difficult circumstances and i applaud him for that.
What happened next not so much......a good manager can adapt to the circumstances and change things up when changes are needed. This is where P.Ince let himself down, he clearly is no tactician, the team got found out and P.Ince went into his shell and went all out safety mode!! He wasn't willing to change his tactics and would use the same players week in week out when clearly some of these players were bang out of form and not performing, and for this, and this reason only he is clearly not the person to taking us forward in the future.

I really hope we survive so we can say a big thank you for carrying out the job given to the letter. It hasn't been pretty and has been damn right horrible to watch!! however, if things do not go well in these next few games and we slip into the bottom three i can see things getting messy real quick!!!

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 06 Apr 2023 16:17

Hendo

And yet, pretty much nobody predicted we'd be relegated in the predict the table competition.

I think this relegation favourites stuff is overblown as a defence.

I'm not sure you can accurately describe 6 game form at 0.3 ppg, or even 12 game form at 0.75 ppg as 'a bit' either. It's below relegation form.

That's a lie, I'm sure you can’t call it 'a bit'.

tmesis
Hob Nob Regular

by tmesis » 06 Apr 2023 17:33

Snowflake Royal I'm not sure you can accurately describe 6 game form at 0.3 ppg, or even 12 game form at 0.75 ppg as 'a bit' either. It's below relegation form.

If Ince's entire managerial career at Reading was the last six games then it'd be hard to make too much of a case for his defence. Even if it was results in 2023, it'd be the similar.

At the moment I suspect the people shouting loudest about their dissatisfaction are the ones who didn't want him in in the first place.

Currently we are playing poorly, looking knackered, and low on confidence. The amount of injuries hasn't helped, and you kind of get the feeling the looming points deduction was demoralising for the players, having worked hard for most of the season, and getting to a point where staying up looked a formality.

The big criticism I think you can lay at Ince's door is playing negatively away from home, because even though getting some points away was all we needed, tactically it's been a failure.

Now that we need at least a couple of wins from the last few games, we'll see if there's a change in what the players do. There needs to be a change, or we will almost certainly go down.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Apr 2023 18:31

As we stay-up, we have a lot to be thankful for to the Ince’s for.

Like Pauno before him, his hand has been dealt like a foot.

….and yes, it’s shit or bust now Paul, how I wish we could end this season with some of the squad choices that we had available at the start and intermediate stage of it….we don’t now.

Pointless whingeing fellow posters, we are where we are now…we were ‘quick off of the blocks’ but in reality, it was never going to be sustainable with biffs, cast-offs, local lads and oap’s.

Cut the guy some slack, couldn’t give a shit how turgid it is to watch…seen plenty worse under Rodgers and even the early Coppell, just get us over the line Paul

Thank you

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 06 Apr 2023 18:51

I have plenty of concerns but form in a run of games where the defeats were against those 2nd, 3rd, 5th and 6th - and prob should have got a point in 2 of them isn't very high on that list.

The only disappointment in the last 6 really, was failing to beat Hull.

Mid Sussex Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Mid Sussex Royal » 06 Apr 2023 19:10

AthleticoSpizz As we stay-up, we have a lot to be thankful for to the Ince’s for.

Like Pauno before him, his hand has been dealt like a foot.

….and yes, it’s shit or bust now Paul, how I wish we could end this season with some of the squad choices that we had available at the start and intermediate stage of it….we don’t now.

Pointless whingeing fellow posters, we are where we are now…we were ‘quick off of the blocks’ but in reality, it was never going to be sustainable with biffs, cast-offs, local lads and oap’s.

Cut the guy some slack, couldn’t give a shit how turgid it is to watch…seen plenty worse under Rodgers and even the early Coppell, just get us over the line Paul

Thank you

Agree with all this except Pauno inherited a decent squad, Ince had basically nothing at the start of the season.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 06 Apr 2023 19:21

Yup, sorry…Pauno was given a load of biffs and over-rated biffs.