BFTG-Stoke

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG-Stoke

by Hound » 05 Sep 2022 10:31

Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
Norfolk Royal
Yes exactly. One of their players should have been sent off for the stamp on Yiadom. That’s a straight red.

Not sure if he was the same player who made three bookable tackles but whoever he was should have gone as well. I found the ref’s reluctance to book any Stoke player astounding, particularly after the early Hutchinson booking. Stoke must have made seven or eight worse fouls than the Hutch one during the game and no bookings. Astounding.

Really didn’t understand David Coote’s decisions on Stoke misdemeanours. There was the aforementioned naughtiness which was a yellow at the very least, Baker (I think) committed 3 or 4 fouls and therefore should have been carded for persistent foul play plus a couple of other incidents worthy of a card and yet nothing.

However he booked Hutchinson early on (probably rightly) and then booked Lumley late on for time wasting when the ball had been kicked into no man’s land in the stands and he was waiting fir simeone to retrieve it - was he expecting the keeper to climb into the stands to get the ball?

It’s the complete inconsistency that’s so frustrating.

That yellow for Lumley was insanely brilliant refereeing.

Lumley headed it back off deliberately, 'struggled' to climb the barrier and then held the ball on the netting for several seconds when he already had hold of it rather than pick it up.

However, the rest of his display with a lack of cards was shambolic.

Wasn't Coote championed on here as a brilliant ref by OMA? I suppose compared to most we get a failure to brandish cards is pretty small fry. But he wasn’t much cop at all.

There was also the holding his face after he headed the ball like he’d hurt himself - can see he thought better or that one after a few seconds. Quality time wasting and certainly a yellow card

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 Sep 2022 11:17

Lumley has basically made up for his game of howlers in my eyes with that assist and his general attitude with that hilarious timewasting and generally just being aware of the game and what he needs to do and when. Let's hope he can keep it solid and reliable. If so the lad might even be a legend for us! Big IF though.

Ian - the only rating I disagree with is Holmes - can't give 8 to someone who got beaten for the goal they scored. But he was otherwise good.

jd82
Hob Nob Addict

by jd82 » 05 Sep 2022 11:19

Hound
Snowflake Royal
Sutekh
Really didn’t understand David Coote’s decisions on Stoke misdemeanours. There was the aforementioned naughtiness which was a yellow at the very least, Baker (I think) committed 3 or 4 fouls and therefore should have been carded for persistent foul play plus a couple of other incidents worthy of a card and yet nothing.

However he booked Hutchinson early on (probably rightly) and then booked Lumley late on for time wasting when the ball had been kicked into no man’s land in the stands and he was waiting fir simeone to retrieve it - was he expecting the keeper to climb into the stands to get the ball?

It’s the complete inconsistency that’s so frustrating.

That yellow for Lumley was insanely brilliant refereeing.

Lumley headed it back off deliberately, 'struggled' to climb the barrier and then held the ball on the netting for several seconds when he already had hold of it rather than pick it up.

However, the rest of his display with a lack of cards was shambolic.

Wasn't Coote championed on here as a brilliant ref by OMA? I suppose compared to most we get a failure to brandish cards is pretty small fry. But he wasn’t much cop at all.

There was also the holding his face after he headed the ball like he’d hurt himself - can see he thought better or that one after a few seconds. Quality time wasting and certainly a yellow card

Ref was warning him against time wasting as early as 25/30 mins in.. Was only a matter of time until he picked up the yellow.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 05 Sep 2022 11:33

Royal Rother
Nameless I’d really rather refs focused on punishing offences related to what happens on the pitch than non offences like timewasting.

Indeed, although it's irrirtating, it isn't dangerous and the outcome is within the ref's control. See time wasting, add on another 30 secs, and tell everyone what you are doing. (Although I get that initial added on time may not be fully under the man in the middle's control.)

I recognise it would put even more pressure on refs but if the laws were changed to allow them to double the time they perceived as deliberate timewasting, you would see the game speed up considerably!

Yes the Lumley booking (having seen footage shot from Club 1871) was fully deserved and correct. Yes, he was right to book Hutchinson early on for his challenge. However, he failed disgracefully in not issuing at least a yellow for the dreadful challenge on Ince (worse than Hutchinson's offence IMO). He and his assistant on the East Stand also failed to spot that the initial foul by Clucas on Yiadom was inside the area and then he compounded that error by not issuing a straight red (no card at all) to Clucas for stamping on Yiadom in the immediate aftermath.

I recognise the SkySports studio pundits might have been slightly Royals bias with Jobi and Glenn Murray but they both were vociferous in condemning the aforementioned offences that went unpunished. They also thought we should've had two further penalties for the foul on Yiadom and the handball by Wilmot.

Apparently Coote told Paul Ince that it wasn't a handball because Wilmot was too close and therefore couldn't get his arm out of the way. However, if he hadn't made his body unnaturally large in the first place there would have be no need to avoid the ball contacting his arm!

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 05 Sep 2022 12:14

I thought the foul on Yiadom looked like he got there late, but on the replay he was there first, toed the ball away then got brought down. Seemed like a penalty to me but the commentators made nothing of it even after seeing the replay and the foul.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2022 12:26

PieEater I thought the foul on Yiadom looked like he got there late, but on the replay he was there first, toed the ball away then got brought down. Seemed like a penalty to me but the commentators made nothing of it even after seeing the replay and the foul.

Yeah, it was a penalty, but I don’t think there's anyway for the ref to see it and the Lino has to be perfectly placed and watching exactly right. I don’t mind not getting that, it's basically impossible for the ref to get right.

Joao's penalty, by contrast, looked more a penalty from.where the ref was standing than perhaps it was... I'd still fall on yes.

The handball, it hit his raised arm on the way through as well, but hard to see it.

With VAR I think we get at least two of the four shouts rather than one, but maybe not the same one.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 05 Sep 2022 13:52

Don’t think it was a handball - solely just the fact it was too far up his arm - more like shoulder

Couple of inches down and then yes it was

Sanguine
Hob Nob Legend

by Sanguine » 05 Sep 2022 14:33

Zip
AthleticoSpizz Currist

Enjoy the moment(s)

Didn’t realise that there were two ‘Royal Jimmys’ here :lol:

Yep agreed. Third in the table despite a very tough transfer embargo and seven players out injured(this includes Moore) is terrific.
To have picked up five League wins by early September is therefore exceptional. Also a bit baffled by the comment regarding Hutchinson who cut out so many crosses because his positioning was spot on.

We all know it’s likely we will drop down the table but as long as we finish above the relegation zone then we can start next season with the ability to strengthen as well as retain a good number of the current squad who are showing real commitment wearing the shirt.

Indeed. And to have won four of four at home is very encouraging, having only won seven all of last season. Ince made a point before the season started as to how important these home games were, has been a great start.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 05 Sep 2022 17:22

Sanguine
Zip
AthleticoSpizz Currist

Enjoy the moment(s)

Didn’t realise that there were two ‘Royal Jimmys’ here :lol:

Yep agreed. Third in the table despite a very tough transfer embargo and seven players out injured(this includes Moore) is terrific.
To have picked up five League wins by early September is therefore exceptional. Also a bit baffled by the comment regarding Hutchinson who cut out so many crosses because his positioning was spot on.

We all know it’s likely we will drop down the table but as long as we finish above the relegation zone then we can start next season with the ability to strengthen as well as retain a good number of the current squad who are showing real commitment wearing the shirt.

Indeed. And to have won four of four at home is very encouraging, having only won seven all of last season. Ince made a point before the season started as to how important these home games were, has been a great start.

I think it's all but 1, maybe 2, of about the last 11 seasons we've won fewer than 10 home games. Basically since we last won the division bar Stam's first season and maybe Paunovic's first.

Brogue
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Brogue » 06 Sep 2022 10:02

wondered why Lumley got a yellow for timewasting as it looked like he was just retrieving the ball from behind the advertising boards. turns out this is why :lol:

https://twitter.com/sportbible/status/1 ... i_Yw2LJd8g