Orion1871
Hob Nob Regular

Re: BFTG Wiga

by Orion1871 » 01 May 2023 08:16

Millsy
SCIAG
Millsy
Literally :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Enjoy League One while Warnock’s side enjoys the Champ.

You seriously would have Ince (Dais judgement) over him? I’m speechless.

As I said, values are more important to me than success. I'm a Reading fan. If I wanted to win at all costs I'd support Man City... or maybe Real Madrid are a better example.

So yes, I'd much rather have a decent but incompetent bloke over Warnock.

I do hear you but I disagree. As you know I like Ince and would love him to have succeeded. I'm the only sucker to dedicate a post on HNA to appreciating him despite rumours that he's actually quite an arrogant so and so. And re: Warnock I have also convinced myself with very little evidence, like most here, that he's a horrible person. But hell I'd even have Parj or McGhee back if it meant staying up.

Dai might also agree with you and might be good at getting nice people in over competent people, but again that's my point. Nice if he was my church minister perhaps, or head of a charity. But this is a cutthroat business worth tens of millions with loads of jobs and livelihoods depending on it, not to mention tens of thousands of fans whose lives and sense of happiness is affected by it. So as I say perhaps a nice guy for wanting to choose nice people. But an utterly clueless joke of a businessman, typical of 'successful' people from corrupt countries.

And is that really that nice a thing to do in the long run? Are you happy with the fact that there will be families across Reading in these difficult financial times devastated by losing their jobs as Reading are relegated. Do you still take the moral high ground in that situation?

Screw that anyway. Dai has been bloody abysmal and we all know it's not because he bought the hype of 'colin' and that alleged stamp gesture (almost certainly not what we think it was anyway). He just didn't have a clue and went with the cheap and easy and ludicrous option as usual. Let's not pretend morals were the reason here even if you take that position.

That stamp gesture was absolutely what people think it was. Gooding told a story recently on the radio about training with Warnock at Rotherham before Warnock got his first managerial job.

A few weeks later they played Warnocks new team in a friendly. Warnock was on the sideline screaming at his players to break the legs of the Rotherham players who he had been mates with a few weeks before.

He's a complete arsehole when that red mist descends and he means every word of it.

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

Re: BFTG Wigan

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2023 09:32

SCIAG
Royal_jimmy Warnock is a divisive character, but football is a results game. I'd have had him if it means we finish higher in the league which based on his record (which speaks for itself), we probably would have done.

Again, Warnock has only finished above us twice in the last 10 years, despite everything we've been through.

So. He's a crisis manager these days doing short stints to save doomed clubs from relegation.

He's a far better manager than anyone we've had in almost a decade.

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 01 May 2023 10:02

Snowflake Royal
SCIAG
Royal_jimmy Warnock is a divisive character, but football is a results game. I'd have had him if it means we finish higher in the league which based on his record (which speaks for itself), we probably would have done.

Again, Warnock has only finished above us twice in the last 10 years, despite everything we've been through.

So. He's a crisis manager these days doing short stints to save doomed clubs from relegation.

He's a far better manager than anyone we've had in almost a decade.

Agree and he has succeeded again

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2023 10:16

IiRC SCIAG thinks Stam was hard done by, so his judgement is highly questionable.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 01 May 2023 10:19

Orion1871
Millsy
SCIAG As I said, values are more important to me than success. I'm a Reading fan. If I wanted to win at all costs I'd support Man City... or maybe Real Madrid are a better example.

I do hear you but I disagree. As you know I like Ince and would love him to have succeeded. I'm the only sucker to dedicate a post on HNA to appreciating him despite rumours that he's actually quite an arrogant so and so. And re: Warnock I have also convinced myself with very little evidence, like most here, that he's a horrible person. But hell I'd even have Parj or McGhee back if it meant staying up.

Dai might also agree with you and might be good at getting nice people in over competent people, but again that's my point. Nice if he was my church minister perhaps, or head of a charity. But this is a cutthroat business worth tens of millions with loads of jobs and livelihoods depending on it, not to mention tens of thousands of fans whose lives and sense of happiness is affected by it. So as I say perhaps a nice guy for wanting to choose nice people. But an utterly clueless joke of a businessman, typical of 'successful' people from corrupt countries.

And is that really that nice a thing to do in the long run? Are you happy with the fact that there will be families across Reading in these difficult financial times devastated by losing their jobs as Reading are relegated. Do you still take the moral high ground in that situation?

Screw that anyway. Dai has been bloody abysmal and we all know it's not because he bought the hype of 'colin' and that alleged stamp gesture (almost certainly not what we think it was anyway). He just didn't have a clue and went with the cheap and easy and ludicrous option as usual. Let's not pretend morals were the reason here even if you take that position.

That stamp gesture was absolutely what people think it was. Gooding told a story recently on the radio about training with Warnock at Rotherham before Warnock got his first managerial job.

A few weeks later they played Warnocks new team in a friendly. Warnock was on the sideline screaming at his players to break the legs of the Rotherham players who he had been mates with a few weeks before.

He's a complete arsehole when that red mist descends and he means every word of it.

I don't particularly like him btw, I don't think anyone here does. But I'm not planning on marrying him. Whatever subjective feelings we may have about someone we've never met, it's interesting to see Huddersfield 7th in the fair play league and us down at 17th. Another fun fact: they're 6th in the form table and we're 22nd.

But ok he's a verbally passionate chap in the heat of the moment and probably isn't nice to animals so yeah well done Dai. The families of jobless Reading folk after the relegation will be really comforted by this I'm sure.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 01 May 2023 11:07

SCIAG
Millsy
SCIAG Stopped reading there. I'll take Dai's judgement over anyone who would consider Warnock.

As I said, values are more important to me than success. I'm a Reading fan. If I wanted to win at all costs I'd support Man City... or maybe Real Madrid are a better example.

By the way, Paul Ince at Reading - 31% win rate. Neil Warnock at Huddersfield - 35% win rate.

You say "values are more important to me than success".
So, what are you doing supporting a club that has tried to cheat it's way to success?

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 May 2023 18:25

South Coast Royal
SCIAG
Millsy

By the way, Paul Ince at Reading - 31% win rate. Neil Warnock at Huddersfield - 35% win rate.

You say "values are more important to me than success".
So, what are you doing supporting a club that has tried to cheat it's way to success?

Oh wow, zing, you got me, I now think all bad things are OK :roll:

I would rather we hadn't done that. That said, there's a chasm between breaking the EFL's arbitrary financial rules and telling your players to injure their opponents.

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2023 18:32

Interestingly saw Leeds May be looking for a new manager to save them this year. Wonder if they’d consider Colin? His job is done at hudders

Be a weird one but he really is the best about and keeping teams up, tosspot or not

Snowflake Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowflake Royal » 01 May 2023 18:34

Hound Interestingly saw Leeds May be looking for a new manager to save them this year. Wonder if they’d consider Colin? His job is done at hudders

Be a weird one but he really is the best about and keeping teams up, tosspot or not

Good shout if they still have a chance. Would probably work well for Udders too. He's definitely a short term project guy these days.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 01 May 2023 19:42

Snowflake Royal
Hound Interestingly saw Leeds May be looking for a new manager to save them this year. Wonder if they’d consider Colin? His job is done at hudders

Good shout if they still have a chance. Would probably work well for Udders too. He's definitely a short term project guy these days.

You couldn't get much shorter than that and Leeds would be yet another Yorkshire club that he would have managed.

South Coast Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by South Coast Royal » 01 May 2023 19:46

South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal

You couldn't get much shorter than that and Leeds would be yet another Yorkshire club that he would have managed.

Forgot that he did manage there previously as he had done with Huddersfield.

SCIAG
Hob Nob Addict

by SCIAG » 01 May 2023 19:53

In four attempts, he has never kept a team up in the top flight.

The best you can say is that he was sacked with QPR in 17th, and they went on to finish 17th. Other than that, he has two relegations and one sacking in the relegation places.

If you want an old-fashioned manager who actually saves teams at that level then go for someone like Allardyce.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 01 May 2023 20:01

Millsy
Orion1871
Millsy

I don't particularly like him btw, I don't think anyone here does. But I'm not planning on marrying him. Whatever subjective feelings we may have about someone we've never met, it's interesting to see Huddersfield 7th in the fair play league and us down at 17th. Another fun fact: they're 6th in the form table and we're 22nd.

But ok he's a verbally passionate chap in the heat of the moment and probably isn't nice to animals so yeah well done Dai. The families of jobless Reading folk after the relegation will be really comforted by this I'm sure.

Who cares if he's an arsehole, he gets results and wins

Rather have an arsehole manager who clearly knows what he'd doing, gets respect from the players and gets results in

We may aswell get Mr tumble in if we want somebody nice ffs

Hound
Hob Nob Legend

by Hound » 01 May 2023 20:05

Good shout on Tumble. Bring him in I reckon

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 01 May 2023 20:06

Apparently, we’ve recently despatched of an “arsehole” manager.

Loafer
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Loafer » 01 May 2023 21:06

Hound Good shout on Tumble. Bring him in I reckon

Hes local at least, lives in Winnersh

Seen him in sainsbury before a few times sans clown outfit

Hendo
Hob Nob Legend

by Hendo » 02 May 2023 09:03

South Coast Royal
South Coast Royal
Snowflake Royal Good shout if they still have a chance. Would probably work well for Udders too. He's definitely a short term project guy these days.

Forgot that he did manage there previously as he had done with Huddersfield.

How could you forget the infamous Flamingo Land trip?

tidus_mi2
Hob Nob Addict

by tidus_mi2 » 02 May 2023 11:38

See, I don't mind Dai's loyalty, I think most fans feel managers are too easily sacked these days but he is almost loyal to a fault, gave Stam too much time and definitely gave Ince 5 more games than he should have, we started off well but it was very clear when the wheels had fallen off and he wouldn't recover.

NathStPaul
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by NathStPaul » 02 May 2023 13:47

Almost like he doesn't know what he is doing....

Sutekh
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Sutekh » 02 May 2023 14:13

Just for the record, Colin started managing over 40 years ago :shock: in 1980-81 (record below) and has managed more or less continuously since then so absolute credit to someone who has survived in what is a very highly pressurised and what can be a generally thankless career. He is therefore very experienced and has been a reasonably consistently successful manager.

Wish Reading had asked him to take over last year instead of Ince but then I think he’s only come out of retirement because it was Huddersfield. He’ll be 75 at the start of December and, incidentally, he played for Aldershite in 1975~76 so presumably would have played at Elm Park in the “el clasico” :wink: of the Home Counties.

1980–1981 Gainsborough Trinity
1981–1986 Burton Albion
1986–1989 Scarborough
1989–1993 Notts County
1993 Torquay United
1993–1995 Huddersfield Town
1995–1997 Plymouth Argyle
1997–1998 Oldham Athletic
1998–1999 Bury
1999–2007 Sheffield United
2007–2010 Crystal Palace
2010–2012 Queens Park Rangers