I suppose someone should do it...Overrated Players

185 posts
Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Oct 2006 12:45

Alan Partridge
Royalee
SpaceCruiser
Royalee Hughes, Igoe, Rougier, McIntyre, Morley, Goater, Caskey and many more.

The funny thing about your list is that half of these players helped Reading get promoted from the nightmareish second division (Now league one). :roll:

Rougier single-handedly cost us the playoff final, Igoe was always a bit part player who flattered to deceive and Hughes kept us out of the playoffs by single handedly destroying the balance of our side and has since led to Worthington losing his job.

You can't be serious? :roll:

floyd - Ouch, that is harsh. Weird how Archie never really played up front for anyone else apart from us though! :?

He did stand in front of the clearance and put it in our net, could have have done any more to cost us the match if he'd tried?

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 09 Oct 2006 12:46

Tinrib Is the title of the thread what Rich@Eaststand thinks of Marcus, or is it ' Overrated player'(s).

There is no way in a a million years that Marcus is overrated by anyone. In fact I'd say that he's underrated, seeing as where he came from (3rd choice at Fulham) and how hard he's worked at his game to get where he is.

Your post is bollocks.

I'm not saying that he hasn't come along way or hasn't worked hard am I?

I'm not saying that he is a crap keeper am I?

The title of the thread is Overrated players - It just seems to me that you can't even mention that he might not be as perfect as every one thinks with out being jumped on.

I'll repeat it for you. I think he is a good keeper, just not as good as some people make out. In my opinion he's overrated.

You don't think he is overrated but that's your opinion - At least I have come up with some reasons and not just gone "Your post is bollocks"!

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 09 Oct 2006 12:48

Royalee He did stand in front of the clearance and put it in our net, could have have done any more to cost us the match if he'd tried?

It was just bad timing to be standing there the one time in Barry Hunters career when the ball wasn't launched into orbit!

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Oct 2006 12:51

Rich@Eaststand
Royalee He did stand in front of the clearance and put it in our net, could have have done any more to cost us the match if he'd tried?

It was just bad timing to be standing there the one time in Barry Hunters career when the ball wasn't launched into orbit!

I don't think any other player would have ended up where he was, although playoff final aside, he had all the talent in the world and only gave 10% effort a lot of the time, which is why I picked him.

SWLR
Hob Nob Regular

by SWLR » 09 Oct 2006 12:51

Vision Robin Friday :wink:

Beat me to it :evil: ,

but I'd remove the :wink:

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 09 Oct 2006 12:55

Royalee
Rich@Eaststand

I don't think any other player would have ended up where he was, although playoff final aside, he had all the talent in the world and only gave 10% effort a lot of the time, which is why I picked him.

Fair enough but I think that criteria fits Mass Sarr a lot better - although 10% would be pushing it!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 09 Oct 2006 12:56

International Royal Without doubt the one and only Mr Caskey. He was completely over-rated by the fans, the club and worse still himself. He came in the days when 700,000 was the same as probably spending 2 - 3 million today. That created expectation; he never delivered and so that is the definition of over-rated.

He was slow, fat and had absolutely no dedication to his profession. He was blessed with some talent but rarely if ever fulfilled it.

I suggest you seek an urgent consultation with your GP to check your memory out. You seem to have forgotten a complete season!!

Oh, and when you've looked back on that one, try a few stats on assists for the others.

Alan Partridge
2 world wars, 1 world cup The "magnificent seven".

Only Burns ever rated them! :lol:

I beg to differ, they weren't all over rated. McIntyre eventually overcame the boo boys campaign to prove himself a good player. The guy signed on loan (Kelly?) looked very good until he got injured.
Last edited by RoyalBlue on 09 Oct 2006 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

SpaceCruiser
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SpaceCruiser » 09 Oct 2006 12:56

Rich@Eaststand

Er, can I remind you that he wasn't standing at the time of the clearance. He was falling (whether he was fouled or not is another debate....)

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 09 Oct 2006 12:58

SpaceCruiser
Rich@Eaststand

Er, can I remind you that he wasn't standing at the time of the clearance. He was falling (whether he was fouled or not is another debate....)

Er, you can if you want but it doesn't make much differance to the point. Keeps the post count ticking over though doesn't it.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 09 Oct 2006 13:06

SpaceCruiser
Rich@Eaststand

Jesus Christ, you're irritating.

Trigger

by Trigger » 09 Oct 2006 13:12

Caskey came into a shit Reading team and made a big difference to it. He may not have been the super hero we imagined he would be when we signed him, but overall he was excellent for Reading at a low point in the club's recent history. If anything he took too much stick.

Holsgrove wasn't brilliant but I don't think anyone ever claimed he was (although he did round the keeper to score the winner away at Boro in 94 (?))

I reckon Nicky Forster could fairly be described as overrated - he knocked in some great goals for Reading but a strike rate of 59 in 186 is nowhere near, say, Kitson's (43 in 89).

Other players like Mass Sarr, Ray Houghton & Robert Fleck were highly rated only until they actually started playing for Reading, whereas Hughes, Rougier, Meaker, Lambert always split the fans' opinions.

And don't have a go at Archie.
Last edited by Trigger on 09 Oct 2006 13:15, edited 2 times in total.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 09 Oct 2006 13:12

RoyalBlue
International Royal Without doubt the one and only Mr Caskey. He was completely over-rated by the fans, the club and worse still himself. He came in the days when 700,000 was the same as probably spending 2 - 3 million today. That created expectation; he never delivered and so that is the definition of over-rated.

He was slow, fat and had absolutely no dedication to his profession. He was blessed with some talent but rarely if ever fulfilled it.

I suggest you seek an urgent consultation with your GP to check your memory out. You seem to have forgotten a complete season!!

Oh, and when you've looked back on that one, try a few stats on assists for the others.

Alan Partridge
2 world wars, 1 world cup The "magnificent seven".

Only Burns ever rated them! :lol:

I beg to differ, they weren't all over rated. McIntyre eventually overcame the boo boys campaign to prove himself a good player. The guy signed on loan (Kelly?) looked very good until he got injured.

But none of them were overrated which was the point of the thread. McIntyre was a steady left winger, nothing special but never overrated, Kelly I remember did ok, still remember him getting carried off, whatever happened to him? Last i heard he was in Scotland somewhere.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 09 Oct 2006 13:15

Trigger Caskey came into a shit Reading team and made a big difference to it. He may not have been the super hero we imagined he would be when we signed him, but overall he was excellent for Reading at a low point in the club's recent history.

Holsgrove wasn't brilliant but I don't think anyone ever claimed he was (although he did round the keeper to score the winner away at Boro in 94 (?))

I reckon Nicky Forster could fairly be described as overrated - he knocked in some great goals for Reading but a strike rate of 59 in 186 is nowhere near, say, Kitson's (43 in 89).

Other players like Mass Sarr, Ray Houghton & Robert Fleck were highly rated only until they actually started playing for Reading, whereas Hughes, Rougier, Meaker, Lambert always split the fans' opinions.

And don't have a go at Archie.

Forster and Kitson are totally different players though, Forster was never an out and out golascorer. You could count the scrambled/bundled in goals by Forster on one hand whereas Kitson is always there for a 'horrible' goal. Forster however (in his prime) was capable of changing a game on his own. He could beat 4 or 5 players and slam a goal in at a crucial time. In a 4-5-1 and in his prime he was the best outside the top flight and scared the hell out of defenders. He carried our attack for a good two seasons on his own.

Class act.

Rich@Eaststand

by Rich@Eaststand » 09 Oct 2006 13:19

Alan Partridge Kelly I remember did ok, still remember him getting carried off, whatever happened to him? Last i heard he was in Scotland somewhere.

Paddy Kelly looked ok. I think he left because his mother was ill and he wanted to be closer to her.

He is currently manager of Donegal Celtic, at least I think it's him - there are probably a few Paddy Kellys over there!

(Weirdly I stumbled across this yesterday before it was brought up here)

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 09 Oct 2006 13:19

Royalee
SpaceCruiser
Rich@Eaststand

Jesus Christ, you're irritating.

Jesus Christ? That's going back a bit. Good cross though.

Trigger

by Trigger » 09 Oct 2006 13:22

Agree with most of that - especially the point about the 4-5-1 - but Forster was given a hell of a lot of slack by Reading managers considering he almost never passed the ball and had a fairly average strike rate. There was a period a few years back when almost nobody could understand why Pards wouldn't drop him.

I was a fan of Fozzy, don't get me wrong, but Kitson does a lot more than Fozzy ever did for the team, whatever their respective styles of play.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 09 Oct 2006 13:23

A few brain dead posts as usual.

Forster. took us the play-offs single handedly, with just about every opposition manager saying he was the best player outside the premiership. For a championship player, you can't get a much better rating than that.

Caskey, 22 goals in a season was it, with ample assists as well?

As for suggesting Hahnemann, i can only assume that is a joke.

Sean Evers came to Reading with a £500,000 rating on his head. Thats overrated.

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 09 Oct 2006 13:26

Probably a contoversial shout from me but....Lawrie Sanchez.

Good passer of the ball, but always a square ball.

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 09 Oct 2006 13:27

Rich@Eaststand
Tinrib Is the title of the thread what Rich@Eaststand thinks of Marcus, or is it ' Overrated player'(s).

There is no way in a a million years that Marcus is overrated by anyone. In fact I'd say that he's underrated, seeing as where he came from (3rd choice at Fulham) and how hard he's worked at his game to get where he is.

Your post is bollocks.

I'm not saying that he hasn't come along way or hasn't worked hard am I?

I'm not saying that he is a crap keeper am I?

The title of the thread is Overrated players - It just seems to me that you can't even mention that he might not be as perfect as every one thinks with out being jumped on.

I'll repeat it for you. I think he is a good keeper, just not as good as some people make out. In my opinion he's overrated.

You don't think he is overrated but that's your opinion - At least I have come up with some reasons and not just gone "Your post is bollocks"!

You continue to write bollocks.

I've never come across anyone who overrates Marcus. His record speaks for itself. There is no diatribe required to dissect Marcus any further. He is a quality Premiership keeper who has been an excellent servent to the club.
There are not too many keepers in the Premiership that I would have above him -(Van Dar Sar, Robinson, Cech, Given, perhaps) but that's about it.

Marcus has never been overrated by anyone and deserves all the plaudits he gets.

You're wasting your typing finger if you try to justify yourself any further because you are wrong.

You'd be better off doing a vote thread and put it out to the wider audience, and then catergorically prove yourself misjudged.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 09 Oct 2006 13:27

Trigger Agree with most of that - especially the point about the 4-5-1 - but Forster was given a hell of a lot of slack by Reading managers considering he almost never passed the ball and had a fairly average strike rate. There was a period a few years back when almost nobody could understand why Pards wouldn't drop him.

I was a fan of Fozzy, don't get me wrong, but Kitson does a lot more than Fozzy ever did for the team, whatever their respective styles of play.

Forster had his faults and lots of them, and in terms of teamplay Kitson offers a lot more but you just can't compare them. Would be like comparing say Rooney with Shearer then saying Rooney doesn't score as many as him!!

Different palyers with different strengths. If we had a fit Nicky Forster at 26 years old again, he would be a massive asset to us now. Someone that you could just say to, have a run at them. Stay on that last defenders shoulder and we'll knock you a ball over the top. Some of Forster's displays of individual brilliance are up there. Blackpool at home, Ipswich at home, Preston Away just a few off the top of my head.

Forster is one of the best players I've seen at Reading simply for what he could do to teams when he was in the mood. Once remember ol Lionel Chris Kamara saying he was the poor man's Thierry Henry, at one point wasn't a bad comparison!!!

185 posts