Shane Long

134 posts
Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 19 Jan 2007 00:22

Platypuss
Uke Precisely my point, also look how many players get loaned out and never come back.

Give me a single example of an RFC player loaned out for experience that has ever come back to play for us and stay - Tyson, Ashdown, etc...

But then again, how many youth players have we had who we haven't loaned out and have stayed and done well?

I think this all just reflects the (relatively low) quality of our youth we have had here, not the usefulness (or not) of loans to a lower level for experience.

Ady Williams, Neil Webb and Steve Wood started as trainees

So really we should just go for it!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 19 Jan 2007 09:55

Shane is injured now - thigh injury in training yesterday - if he doesn't make it in time then Kits may start....... :shock:

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 20 Jan 2007 18:26

Keep chalking em up son.Oh look theres fat boy not slim in the background.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 20 Jan 2007 18:27

Shane Long yet again shows what a player he will be, he's good now but it's quite clear he has a lot of untapped potential at the moment.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 20 Jan 2007 18:31

higher Keep chalking em up son.Oh look theres fat boy not slim in the background.
Look at Kenny's stomach. That's a park player. Has he no pride?

M4 Junction 11
Hob Nob Regular

by M4 Junction 11 » 20 Jan 2007 18:36

Well done Shane !!

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 20 Jan 2007 18:37

M4 Junction 11

Well done Shane !!

That just shows the team spirit. It's his first goal, and they oxf*rd love it. :D :D

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 20 Jan 2007 18:37

zac naloen Shane Long yet again shows what a player he will be, he's good now but it's quite clear he has a lot of untapped potential at the moment.

I still say what I said about 18 months ago - I think SL has the potential to be better than Kevin Doyle.

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 20 Jan 2007 18:40

Dirk Gently
zac naloen Shane Long yet again shows what a player he will be, he's good now but it's quite clear he has a lot of untapped potential at the moment.

I still say what I said about 18 months ago - I think SL has the potential to be better than Kevin Doyle.

Definately agree there, and I seem the recall that Coppell has called him a better prospect that Doyle at some point in the past.

He's going to be immense.

Mrs Butler
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Mrs Butler » 20 Jan 2007 18:45

I LOVE SHANE LONG... he will be a legend to Reading FC in years to come

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 20 Jan 2007 18:46

Mrs Butler I LOVE SHANE LONG... he will be a legend to Reading FC in years to come
I bet he isn't. We'll sell him long before he becomes a legend, I reckon.

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 20 Jan 2007 18:53

Platypuss
Uke Precisely my point, also look how many players get loaned out and never come back.

Give me a single example of an RFC player loaned out for experience that has ever come back to play for us and stay - Tyson, Ashdown, etc...

But then again, how many youth players have we had who we haven't loaned out and have stayed and done well?

I think this all just reflects the (relatively low) quality of our youth we have had here, not the usefulness (or not) of loans to a lower level for experience.

Relatively low quality of our Youth? Did I dream it or have our Youth team players just beaten Coventry Youth 5-1? Look at the potential and try to be positive.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 20 Jan 2007 18:54

glass half full
Platypuss

Relatively low quality of our Youth? Did I dream it or have our Youth team players just beaten Coventry Youth 5-1? Look at the potential and try to be positive.

Thats easy for you to say...Mr 'glass half full'

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 20 Jan 2007 18:58

glass half full
Platypuss

He said youth we have had not that we have now.

We currently have a very promising youth squad.

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 20 Jan 2007 20:19

glass half full
Platypuss

I would have thought it was plainly obvious from the context and the tense that I was talking about the past. :roll:

Obviously not obvious enough for some.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 20 Jan 2007 20:22

did well today, lovely little finish for the goal, even if I do owe Mrs B a drink because of it, followed up by being Murked by Woking Royal too, Double murking! :oops:

Even so, played very well as he and Lita made mugs of Davis and Lucketti. Didn't seem to hard to do today, Davis really is atrocious.

WyW_URZ

by WyW_URZ » 20 Jan 2007 22:03

thing that impresses me about Shane, as that he keeps on going! If he got hit by a truck you'd get the feeling that he would just get up and carry on going, he wouldn't even complain to the driver!

Couple that with his willing to learn and add in the general great team spirit we have at the club, if he stays (long term) he will become a established international player, hopefully partnering Doyler for both club and country

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 21 Jan 2007 09:44

Anyone still think loan is the best place for him? :gloat:

All three goals yesterday from players "not good enough for the Prem"

zac naloen

by zac naloen » 21 Jan 2007 10:15

Uke Anyone still think loan is the best place for him? :gloat:

All three goals yesterday from players "not good enough for the Prem"

I think he needs prem experience, rather than championship experience.

He knows where the goal is, he just needs to learn to get round premiership quality defenders. Burnley showed that he keeps Championship defenders in his pocket.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 21 Jan 2007 10:52

Loaning a player is nothing more than "try before you buy"

Longer appearances as a sub are better than loans - perhaps the last 20 mins?

134 posts