Brighton v Reading

142 posts
woodley_royal_124

by woodley_royal_124 » 28 Jul 2007 18:25

Just out of interest did everybody get their tickets posted to them on time ? I didn't get mine due to the postal strike, despite the guy at the TO saying they had been posted ! If they knew the strike was going to affect deliveries, why didnt they not bother and just tell people they had to arrange to come and collect the tickets instead ? Or would that have been too clever ? :cry:

RIP ELM Park

by RIP ELM Park » 28 Jul 2007 18:30

A hat-trick from Leroy Lita helped Reading to a 3-1 win at Brighton today.

Michael Duberry's own goal had put the Seagulls ahead, but a penalty and two predator's finishes gave us the win.

Bobby Convey played 45 minutes as he stepped up his comeback from injury, and he looked comfortable and in good shape.

There was more than a hint of offside in the build-up to Brighton's goal, but Lita's efforts ensured Reading took victory.

His first was a neat prod from Kevin Doyle's cross, and the second was from less than a yard, with Doyle again providing.

He also had to thank Doyle for the third, with the Irishman winning the penalty and then allowing Lita to take it.

Both teams had chances to add more goals, with Dean Cox and Seol Ki-Hyeon each missing sitters.

It was a decent game, and Reading put in an OK performance without ever reaching full fluidity.

Reading: Federici; Murty (c), Shorey, Duberry, Ingimarsson; Gunnarsson, Harper, Seol, Convey (Kitson HT); Doyle, Lita
Subs: Stack, De la Cruz, Halls, Bikey, Cisse, Oster, Long

Brighton: Kuipers (Gay 73), Whing, Mayo (c) (Rents 73), Butters, Elphick; El-Abd (Fraser 55), Hammond, Robinson (Savage 73), Cox; Forster (Gatting 89), Revell (Elder 68)
Sub: Reid

Attendance: 6181 (480 away fans)

Ref: C Penton

Full report
Adam Federici was called into action after only 20 seconds, pulling off a cracking save to his left to deny Nicky Forster.

On three minutes referee Clive Penton was forced to wear a luminous training bib over his black outfit, as he clashed with our new away strip. The new outfit prompted shouts of 'the referee's a steward.'

With 13 on the clock Seol Ki-Hyeon showed great strength and skill to work himself some space, and he released Bobby Convey on the other wing with a superb ball. The American had half a chance to shoot, but his touch took him a liitle close to the byline and his cross was cut out.

Brighton were lively going forward, and Alex Revell turned Ivar Ingimarsson down the right, presenting Dean Cox with an absolute sitter that he somehow skied over from six yards with the goal gaping.

Midway through the half James Harper released Leroy Lita with an excellent pass, and the striker showed great feet down the left to open up space for a cross. He fired it in, but nobody attacked the near post and the chance was cleared.

Nicky Shorey's attempted clearance was then blocked by Revell on the edge of our box, giving Forster a sight of goal but he shot very narrowly wide on the volley.

With six minutes to go before the break, Shorey found Lita with a cracking ball, and the frontman shot for the near post but it deflected just wide. Convey soon tried his luck as well, but it was saved comfortably by Michel Kuipers.

Second half
Dave Kitson was on at half time for Convey, who would have been happy with his first outing for many months. Kitson took his place on the left wing.

Seol had a glorious chance just after the restart when Doyle's cross was palmed out to him, but the Korean smashed over with the goal gaping.

Brighton then made the Royals pay for that miss as they took the lead on 57.

Dean Cox found himself in absolutely acres of space on the left wing, and the Royals looked for an offside flag in vain.

The winger put in a cross, and somehow Revell was not flagged despite looking very much offside. His header spooned up in the air, and Michael Duberry & Graeme Murty got in each others way as it dropped, nicking off Duberry's head and over the line for an own goal.

Reading were quickly level though. Doyle did very well to find some space down the left, and he put in a great drilled cross that Lita got to first and stapped past the diving Kuipers for an immediate equaliser.

Brighton almost went 2-1 up quickly though, and it was close to a second own goal as Ingimarsson flicked a header off his own bar.

The game had opened up, and Seol got a decent header on Shorey's whipped cross, only for Kuipers to pull off a diving save.

Brynjar Gunnarsson had half a chance from a tight angle inside the box as time ticked away, but he put a difficult chance over.

Forster unleashed a good effort from the edge of the box with the whistle approaching, but it sailed wide.

Former Royal Bas Savage came on a sub, and he also tried his luck, but Federici gathered well.

With the game seemingly headed for a draw, Reading suddenly made it 2-1. Kitson found Doyle in the box, and the Irishman's header was parried, only for Lita to turn it home from right on the line.

There was still time for another, with Doyle this time winning a penalty after cutting in well from the left. Kevin initially wanted to take the spot kick himself, but graciously allowed Lita the chance to make it 3-1 by smashing under sub Danny Gay.

higher
Hob Nob Regular

by higher » 28 Jul 2007 19:18

Just love the way Brightons 2 subs Rents and Gay minced into play on the 73 minute.Together with the likes of Butters,Cox, Mayo not to mention Savage it was just men v boys in the end :wink:

ArfnipIsARoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by ArfnipIsARoyal » 28 Jul 2007 19:20

Just saw the goals on SSN. Duberry is lethal in the air :lol: Litas first goal well taken, second bundled over line and third hard and low spot kick.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 28 Jul 2007 19:50

V nice to be considered as worthy testimonial opponents for our poorer cousins.

A few years ago we were one of them...Tottenham's /Charltons or Wet Shams reserve teams were our highlights at the pre-season kickabouts for a lot of folk

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 28 Jul 2007 20:34

Coppelled Streets
strap 3-1 Lita pen 90.

BBC SCR says 3-1 flattered RFC.

Couldn't care less. Another pre-season win and the preparation continues! Very pleasing, again.

/speak slowly mode on

It was a pre-season friendly, Jay.

The result is wholly irrelevant - it's the performance that matters.

/speak slowly mode off

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 28 Jul 2007 20:46

Platypuss it's the performance that matters.

And it has to be said that the performance today really wasn't very good at all. 3-1 totally flattered Reading, fielding a strong team, and it was only the finishing class of Leroy Lita (three chances, three goals) which proved the difference between Brighton and a strong Reading line-up.

I have to question the wisdom of arranging a practice match such as this on a pitch as small as the Withdean given the expansive game with two out-and-out wingers which we tend to favour. The final ball today was mediocre throughout; Seol tied Brighton in knots but frankly failed to deliver whilst Convey and Shorey's set pieces were poor. Harper and Gunnarsson were a willing-if-not-particularly-able partnership today and after a bright start Doyle faded. Murts had an utter stinker today but I must also add that any Reading line-up which includes either or both of Federici and Duberry makes me very nervous indeed; Federici's kicking is about as convincing as Douglas Bader's, although credit to him he did make a smashing save within the first 30 seconds after Duberry was all too easily turned by one Nicky Forster :roll:

All in all a useful exercise if only in terms of match practice and fine-tuning for the new season. Certainly Interesting to see Kitson play wide left second half :? -he actually did ok! - and most crucially an important 45 minutes for Bobby Convey to prove his fitness.
Last edited by floyd__streete on 28 Jul 2007 20:47, edited 1 time in total.

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 28 Jul 2007 20:47

higher Just love the way Brightons 2 subs Rents and Gay minced into play on the 73 minute.Together with the likes of Butters,Cox, Mayo not to mention Savage it was just men v boys in the end :wink:

Was that really the names of their subs - so it was men vs rent(s) boys and gay boys ....

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 28 Jul 2007 20:51

floyd__streete
Platypuss it's the performance that matters.

And it has to be said that the performance today really wasn't very good at all. 3-1 totally flattered Reading, fielding a strong team, and it was only the finishing class of Leroy Lita (three chances, three goals) which proved the difference between Brighton and a strong Reading line-up.

I have to question the wisdom of arranging a practice match such as this on a pitch as small as the Withdean given the expansive game with two out-and-out wingers which we tend to favour. The final ball today was mediocre throughout; Seol tied Brighton in knots but frankly failed to deliver whilst Convey and Shorey's set pieces were poor. Harper and Gunnarsson were a willing-if-not-particularly-able partnership today and after a bright start Doyle faded. Murts had an utter stinker today but I must also add that any Reading line-up which includes either or both of Federici and Duberry makes me very nervous indeed; Federici's kicking is about as convincing as Douglas Bader's, although credit to him he did make a smashing save within the first 30 seconds after Duberry was all too easily turned by one Nicky Forster :roll:

All in all a useful exercise if only in terms of match practice and fine-tuning for the new season. Certainly Interesting to see Kitson play wide left second half :? -he actually did ok! - and most crucially an important 45 minutes for Bobby Convey to prove his fitness.

Right, you were obviously at the game, so I'll edit.
There must be some pitches as tight as the Withdean in the Prem.

Did Convey look ok?
Early days I know...but get that boy back and it'll be like a new signing.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 28 Jul 2007 21:22

" he plays on the left, he plays on the right.....that boi savage he's still oxf*rd shite ! "

just back from the game was happy with the result and thought it was a great day out.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 28 Jul 2007 21:58

Coppelled Streets
strap 3-1 Lita pen 90.

BBC SCR says 3-1 flattered RFC.

Couldn't care less. Another pre-season win and the preparation continues! Very pleasing, again.

How can you say very pleasing?

Firstly results mean sweet fa during pre-season and to top it off you weren't even there to see how we played.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 28 Jul 2007 22:02

floyd__streete I have to question the wisdom of arranging a practice match such as this on a pitch as small as the Withdean

Coppell doing a favour and having a chance to go back for visit.

Fitness wise I guess it's still a good work out.

Pity about the performance though.
Last edited by Southbank Old Boy on 28 Jul 2007 22:46, edited 1 time in total.

The Cube

by The Cube » 28 Jul 2007 22:34

readingbedding There must be some pitches as tight as the Withdean in the Prem.

Withdean's pitch is illegally narrow (i.e. less than Football League minimum width, although not less than the width stated in the laws of the game), so no there won't be any like it at proper football grounds. The Football League told me that Brighton have special temporary dispensation.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 28 Jul 2007 22:41

The Cube
readingbedding There must be some pitches as tight as the Withdean in the Prem.

Withdean's pitch is illegally narrow (i.e. less than Football League minimum width, although not less than the width stated in the laws of the game), so no there won't be any like it at proper football grounds. The Football League told me that Brighton have special temporary dispensation.

oh, ok.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 28 Jul 2007 23:57

LOLeroy LOLita

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 29 Jul 2007 05:23

rg6royal " he plays on the left, he plays on the right.....that boi savage he's still oxf*rd shite ! "

just back from the game was happy with the result and thought it was a great day out.

Savage for England!

Fair play to him, he did give us a wave. I would like to apologise to anyone who laughed at my uber murkings hoping for a quiet end to the game :wink:

He nearly murked us by scoring :shock:

Still a legend.

Kitson did look good down the left. Could give Coppell an extra option somewhere down the line. The goal we conceded was very poor and the view is even worse now they've moved the away fans up the other end.

I heard Paul Brooker was on the Brighton legends team in the pre match build up. Can someone tell me how this happend?

phil in cornwall

by phil in cornwall » 29 Jul 2007 11:07

What a lot of liars you are.

Today's Sunday Times says:

Reading could manage only a goalless draw in their friendly at Brighton. It must have brought back painful memories for Steve Coppell, the Reading manager, who was in charge of the Seagulls for a year before moving to the Madejski stadium in 2003."

Now we know the truth. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 29 Jul 2007 11:16

Even though I was there, I'm relying on everybody else to let me know how many we scored. So far from the bloody pitch I couldn't see a thing!

Mr Loyal Royal

by Mr Loyal Royal » 29 Jul 2007 11:20

Did Bas Savage play well ??

Irvinchangeyaname

by Irvinchangeyaname » 29 Jul 2007 11:31

He was only on for about 15 minutes so didn't really get in the game. He made a couple of lumbering runs but didn't look much of a threat IMO.

142 posts